Collar on my Todd's jacket curling....need some help.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Collar on my Todd's jacket curling....need some help.

Post by IndianaBogart »

Ok, so the collar on my Todd's standard jacket curls up on both sides at the points (if that makes any sense). Is there any way to make it lay flat like it's supposed to? I think it may be due to the fact that the top of the collar has gotten wet and the underside has not. But anyway.....if anybody could help me fix this (cough....Holt....cough) I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
-Bogart
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Leather will do that, especially thin leather. Get it wet again and try shaping it while it dries.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

I wear mine everyday, and I notice that the left one curls up, while the right one curls down, and it gets more pronounced when it's wet. Show us a picture; we'll tell you if it looks wierd. Otherwise, if you want to correct it, soak the collar, roll it under itself, and let it dry that way. Even then, this may only be a temporary fix. What you're describing sounds pretty normal.

Weston
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Thanks guys. I would post a pic, but I'm at school and don't have a camera with me (and I dunno when I'll be home again). I think I'll just try to soak it and then reshape it like you guys said.

Thanks,
-Bogart
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

You can use a steam iron, I have done on various leathers, just don't scorch it!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

This might sound odd, but IF the problem persists you can cut a piece of thin rigid sheet plastic to the shape of the collar's ends and use upholstery adhesive to adhere to it underneath the collar. Cut the plastic about 1/8" back from the edges so as not be seen.
This is a little auto restoration technique for troublesome corners.
On nice quality dress shirts you can sometimes find this type of thing sewn right into the collar itself to keep it from curling.
The_Raiders
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by The_Raiders »

I have the Todds standard jacket and I had the same problem. I just grabbed the points of the collar firmly, and just rolled it inwords very tightly, then unrolled it and flatened it and I havnt really had the curling problem anymore. :)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I too had the same problem with my U S Wings Roo hide. I got the colar wet, then shaped it. Once it dried, the problem was gone, never to return.