Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

ToD Jacket Owners: Opinion on Nylon Lining

Post by Tyrloch »

Hey all,

To all those who have received their ToD jackets already, what are your thoughts on the nylon lining? Is it good? Is it just okay? Or is it horrible? I'm wondering if I should try to push to have Wested use something other than the nylon, possibly all cotton. I'm not even sure that they'll make the change, but I figured that I'd see what the general concensus was first...thanks!

~Jace
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

I haven't worn it in hot or even warm weather yet so I can't say how comfortable (or not) it will prove to be, but I rather like how it slips on and off. I also didn't want any significant difference between the real deal and my replica, so I'm happy.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Personally, I love the nylon linings. They are much cooler in warm weather than cotton and I love how easy they are to slide into. They also feel good on exposed skin when wearing a short sleeve shirt. A down side may be a bit less durability.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Raider S wrote:They also feel good on exposed skin when wearing a short sleeve shirt.
Appart from humid days that is: then nylon linings tend to stick to the skin, which I don't particularly like.

Regards, Geert
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

gwyddion wrote:
Raider S wrote:They also feel good on exposed skin when wearing a short sleeve shirt.
Appart from humid days that is: then nylon linings tend to stick to the skin, which I don't particularly like.

Regards, Geert
Depends on the nylon. New generation nylon is way better than cotton and breathes. The G&B nylon for instance is terrific.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I think it's OK. The lining used is quite light weight, not a heavy nylon at all.
I think they copied the NH lining as best they could.
It needs some kind of stiffening on the left chest side though as the inner pocket wants to move forward toward the zipper.
I've noticed some of the side seam in the arms near the cuff has come undone.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

No complaints so far.
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

I like it.. my other indy jacket has cotton sleeves, and I always have to hold my shirt cuffs as I put on the jacket, to stop the sleeves riding up to my elbows.. these nylon sleeves slide very nicely. I haven't noticed any inner pocket sliding..
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

No complaints here. It goes on/off easily and feels nice and cool.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

CM wrote:
gwyddion wrote:

Regards, Geert
Depends on the nylon. New generation nylon is way better than cotton and breathes. The G&B nylon for instance is terrific.
The sticking to bare arms in humid weather is the only minor dislike I had about the nylon lining. regardless of that I still prefer at least nylon/satin sleeves. If the newer linings don't stick to skin in humid weather, well, then it's a winner for sure.

Regards, Geert
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

I've got no problems with the nylon, so far. We'll see as the weather get warmer. But, I do have an issue with the lining as a whole. Mine seems to be a bit "baggy" or loose, which is causing the inside pocket to slide around. I'm thinking of having a competent tailor add a few tack stitches to keep this from happening.

Kind regards,
Craig
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

serrecuir wrote:I've got no problems with the nylon, so far. We'll see as the weather get warmer. But, I do have an issue with the lining as a whole. Mine seems to be a bit "baggy" or loose, which is causing the inside pocket to slide around. I'm thinking of having a competent tailor add a few tack stitches to keep this from happening.

Kind regards,
Craig
Mine as well