S&W M1917 Defect? - HELP!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndyFrench
Writer of Things

S&W M1917 Defect? - HELP!

Post by IndyFrench »

Hey all gun experts out there!

I own one of the new Smith and Wesson Model 22 of 1917 Classic revolvers, released last year. I bought it almost a year ago and have absolutely babied it. Having previous experience with firearms, I have kept it very clean and for the better part of the last year, it hasn't even seen the light of day - safely stored away.

The pistol has only fired a total of 18 rounds in its life - these were all standard .45 ACP "paper punchers." Nothing overpowered or fancy - and the pistol was carefully cleaned immediately after firing.

Yesterday I brought it out to apply some gun oil. I turned it in the light just so and noticed that the bluing along the top of the barrel rippled near the front sight. I gently felt the area with my finger and there is a definite subtle bump in the exterior surface of the barrel! I freaked because I know all too well about "barrel bulge." I couldn't see how this is possibly the case with a new pistol barely used and never abused.

I opened the cylinder and, with a flashlight, inspected the interior of the barrel. I was relieved to find that there is no bulge ring or interior damage visible. The barrel is pristine and the rifling is undamaged - as I expected would be the case.

Could this be an imperfection of the bluing? Would that create a bump? I could really use some insight. I don't think it's barrel bulge, but might I have a bad manufacture?

I would post pictures, but there's no point - It's so subtle, it wouldn't show up in photos, but now that I know it's there, I see it.

Thanks,
Mike
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I'd go to a gunsmith, let them take a look at it and find out for sure. You'll probably get a few opinions here, but for me, I'd want to actually see it before making a guess.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Couldn't tell ya a thing without seeing a pic at least. If you shot nothing but reg acp ammo and only a few rounds, I'm quite certain its not damage from use,i.e. barrel bulge,,rare. Might just be sub-par machining of the barrel that you maybe didn't notice before.

TR
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I agree that you should take it to a qualified gunsmith. If you purchased it locally, take the gun back to that shop and see what they have to say. It might be worth checking into any possible warrantees. Regardless, it's hard to fathom a guess without seeing what the problem looks like.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

'Might just be sub-par machining of the barrel that you maybe didn't notice before.'

Yep. Guns are just not made as perfectly as they used to be, regardless of price, 'Limited Edtion', etc. Even on the 1953 S&W M&P .38 Special I recently got, the barrel's taper is a little wavy. This gun has original finish and no damage to the barrel. You could live with it or contact S&W to see if they will replace the gun or barrel. I probably would live with it.
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

Is this the Model with the distressed look to the bluing (color cased)? If it is, and I am correctly visualizing what you are describing, this it is a problem with the bluing/finish. I was going to get one until my gun dealer told me about this problem. They have had a few returned in the past year for similar problems. The distressed finish has either flaked off or had some other problems. That made me decide not to get one. I'm now waiting for a vintage S&W to come my way.
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

It’s a new gun take it back to your dealer and have him send it back to smith most times the supplier will just replace it with a new one or have it fixed. You should not spend any of your money to fix a brand new gun. If your dealer gives you the run around call smith directly and they can help you out. But to have a brand new gun need re bluing is just wrong and it's a factory problem not yours. bluing lasts for years not a year. Just my thoughts
Wisconsin Platt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Wisconsin Platt »

As a former gunshop employee and owner of 35+ S&W revolvers of all vintages, I would first contact S&W customer service directly. You would be amazed at the lengths that Smith will go to correct problems with their guns, even problems that were obviously caused by carelessness or downright neglect
(not that I'm implying it in this case :) )

For a new gun with a defect in workmanship or materials, ask S&W to send you a call tag to simplify and cover the shipping. Just box the gun up securely, slap the tag on it, and drop it off at the shipping center. You can send your revolver straight to the factory via UPS/FEDEX/DHL (and don't let any of those carriers tell you any different) and S&W can return it directly to your home.

My own Thunder Ranch Model 22, which is the 4inch version of yours, had a front sight that shot 8 inches low at 25yds with ball ammo. Smith fixed it free of charge and had the gun back in my hands in 6 days.

As for the cause of the defect, Smith tapered barrels are all hand polished. A slight wobble on the polishing wheel and you have a nice smooth bump.