Akubra Fed Plastic Liner

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Akubra Fed Plastic Liner

Post by jnicktem »

I have a couple of questions. I am going to be spending some time in Central America in 2 weeks and plan on bringing my Akubra Fed IV Deluxe with me.

First, if I cut out that plastic liner and it rains while I wear it, will my head get pretty wet... or would it be barely noticeable?

Second, how do I cut out the plastic liner? Do I just cut around the edges, or do I have to go digging???

Any help would be appreciated!
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I have a Keppler and it has the plastic. I would take the liner out and look in the back to see if it will pull apart from the stitching. More than likely it will. If not, you may have to do a little sewing like I did.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Thanks for the quick reply.

The big reason why I want to do this is because I don't want my head to fry while wearing my fedora. During the summer, I was wearing my Fed around downtown Minneapolis and my head was just pouring sweat. I would imagine that taking off the plastic liner would help me out a bit.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I don't know about the Akubras, but my Christy's liner had the plastic and it was very easy to take off. I just got a Swiss Army knife and cut a slit into the plastic and tore it in half. After that, I gently pulled the plastic out and it just came off at the seam. Very easy.

Dave
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Why not just remove the whole liner? It will keep your head much cooler than just removing the plastic cap. Removing the liner would be much easier, too. IMO.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I am no expert in hats my any means (really), but wouldn't removing the entire liner ruin the hat... somehow? As I wrote this, I began to wonder... what does the liner actually do? (See... I have no idea about anything when it comes to hats!).
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I don't think removing the liner would not damage your hat. Truth of it is, I don't know what the purpose is of a liner. I have a theory on what the liner is for. My guess is to keep sweat from seeping through the hat and leaving it stained. I could be wrong, though.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yeah, that is kind of what I thought it was for as well.

Surely, there has to be someone on here that knows something about hats... :lol:
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Where's Michaelson? :)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

indy89 wrote:My guess is to keep sweat from seeping through the hat and leaving it stained. I could be wrong, though.
As far as I know, that is correct. You should be able to take the plastic out without any negative effects though.

Shane
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Look at your liner after wearing your hat for a couple of months. If you live in the aht like most of us do, its pretty dirty. Now, wouldn't you want all that stuff on something replacable rather than the hat itself? The liner keeps all the sweat and grime frome your hair off the hat.

Dave
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Cool! So my guess is right.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

We talked about it in a different thread, wearing my Fed in the summer, with that plastic thing was horrible. It is like head is in the oven with no air circulation whatsoever. This summer was very hot in here - up to 30+ *C. So i decided to make a surgery. Very gently i cut the plastic thingy aroung the edges and it is much better now. Then on a one day i went hiking, and rain was pooring, i mean hat was soaked wet, brown paint started to pour out of it and it looked like amazonian river bash :lol:, but my head was dry. So my advice is cut it. ;-)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Russian Raider wrote:i mean hat was soaked wet, brown paint started to pour out of it and it looked like amazonian river bash :lol:
:lol: I'll have to ask Steve or Marc about one of those! #-o

Shane
KenS
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by KenS »

I have tried wearing a felt hat in Central America (Costa Rica) and it was far too hot. You may well be better off taking either a cotton hat such as a Tilly, or a straw Panama.
I'd be happy to post a pic of my favorite cotton sombrero, but just can't figure out how to include a photo here.
Best regards, Ken.[/img]