The most SA wested raiders jacket since the film!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

It took quite a while for my wested Horse to show any signs of absorbing water at all. It just beads up and rolls off...

Horse is typically cut thicker (even at Wested) so that accounts for the difference in "drape". If the Horse was thinned to Goat thickness, it would be quite similar. But then, why do it? Horse will offer more protection from abrasion due to the added thickness, and the Wested Horse breaks in VERY quickly I am learning...

I do like Goat, and for the look/strength ratio, that is definately the way to go for an Indy jacket!
Nebraska Brad
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nebraska Brad »

Holt that is simply an amazing jacket! I may have missed it in this long thread but could you provide your height, weight, shoulder and chest size? This jacket may sway me from a TN1 if I could get the specs nailed down like yours.

-Nebraska
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

J!m wrote:It took quite a while for my wested Horse to show any signs of absorbing water at all. It just beads up and rolls off...

Horse is typically cut thicker (even at Wested) so that accounts for the difference in "drape". If the Horse was thinned to Goat thickness, it would be quite similar. But then, why do it? Horse will offer more protection from abrasion due to the added thickness, and the Wested Horse breaks in VERY quickly I am learning...

I do like Goat, and for the look/strength ratio, that is definately the way to go for an Indy jacket!
Well, a thicker hide might protect you from breaking bones. Goatskin is actually more abrasion resistant than horsehide as far as the hide itself. The only thing that can surpass goatskin on the strength to weight ratio is kangaroo hide. A good hide for motorcycles is actually deerskin from what I understand. It has a natural sponginess to the hide that is really great in a fall.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy here, but I was just wondering... can a thicker hide really keep you from breaking bones?

Nibs
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I don't profess to be an expert on motorcycle clothing; I’m only stating what I have heard. Here’s an article.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Motorcycle-Pr ... !&id=13040
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

knibs7 wrote:I'm not trying to sound like a wise guy here, but I was just wondering... can a thicker hide really keep you from breaking bones?

Nibs
I have finally come to the conclusion that the Indy jacket, as much as I tried to make it work, isn't designed well for motorcycling. I know others use it, but for me, getting slapped by the collar, and having my back exposed when it rides up just don't work. I started theorizing last week that the ToD jacket might do better than a Raiders or CS, but remind myself just to let it go.

Here's what I did wearing my G&B goat AND an armoured Belstaff cordura jacket OVER that. :) (The right is a Bennet's fracture; hard to see, but the thumb joint is broken by the hand; in any case, both arms were cast, which I'll tell you is pretty inconvenient.)
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

OUCH. Hurts just looking at them.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

leather does not stop bones from breaking but will protect from abrasion and some penetrations........and perhaps cushioin to a miniscule degree on impact. bones break because that part of your body wasn't suppose to go that way.......to protect against that, you will require support and reinforcement, which leather does not give you unless the leather has supports and reinforcements as well. some racing leathers has spinal reinforcements built in. your everyday jackets whether it be wested, g&b, us wings, todds, TN, will fair poorly against any force that is strong enough to break bones.

btw baldwn.......thank's for making me gag......... :shock:

:lol:
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

oooohhhhhhhhhh Thats nasty. Sorry to hear about your injuries man. One question tho and Please take this as it's meant (very light hearted) how's the jacket? :lol:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Nebraska Brad wrote:Holt that is simply an amazing jacket! I may have missed it in this long thread but could you provide your height, weight, shoulder and chest size? This jacket may sway me from a TN1 if I could get the specs nailed down like yours.

-Nebraska
6.1'

200 pounds

46'' chest
Last edited by Holt on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

IndyGeek78 wrote:oooohhhhhhhhhh Thats nasty. Sorry to hear about your injuries man. One question tho and Please take this as it's meant (very light hearted) how's the jacket? :lol:
It's an old thing, completely healed, although the plate in my arm sometimes bugs me. No biggie, when the alternatives could be much worse!

The jacket was perfect of course! There was a scuff mark and small tear on the shoulder seam of the Belstaff, but nothing on the Indy. Tore through seventeen layers of kevlar on my knee though. Hate to think how it'd look without the kevlar :)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I can think of easier (although slower) ways to age a jacket! ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Looks like a "clean" fracture. Yes I imagine how uncomfortable is not being able to use neither of your arms :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ok.ok....

lets not make this thread into a ER thread ;-)
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indiana Holt wrote:ok.ok....

lets not make this thread into a ER thread ;-)
Sorry, didn't mean to derail, but there was all this talk about leather jackets and broken bones, and I JUST took the pics (last week) :)

I'd love for you to spec me a jacket :D
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

:lol: my fault too, sorry.

but afterall I think most of us said how great your jacket looks... that's more or less it :whip:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

[quote="Erri"]

but afterall I think most of us said how great your jacket looks... :[/quote]

right,thats why I didnt say get back on topic ;-)
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Fantastic jacket, Holt! That's the jacket I've wanted since, well, 1981. One question about hides again. I love the look of the goat, and I know it's tough. However, I live in SC. Doesn't get much below 25 F at night in winter, and of course we hit 100+ a bunch in the summer. Any idea how goat holds heat compared to lamb/horse/etc.?

Thanks,

RaiderZee
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

OUCH! That's quite the fracture. I bet that hurts, hope it heals well.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I hope you heal well too, but let's try to get back on topic

Nibs
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

26 Oct 2004. He'd better have healed by now! :lol:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ok so apparently I can't read :oops: :lol:

Nibs
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

RaiderZee wrote:Fantastic jacket, Holt! That's the jacket I've wanted since, well, 1981. One question about hides again. I love the look of the goat, and I know it's tough. However, I live in SC. Doesn't get much below 25 F at night in winter, and of course we hit 100+ a bunch in the summer. Any idea how goat holds heat compared to lamb/horse/etc.?

Thanks,

RaiderZee
Best to stick with Lamb in that heat. Themore dense and durable the leather, the less able to pass vapor, and then it gets 'wet' and 'clammy' inside, which is not comfortable in 100+ heat. If humidity is very low (ala Arizona) this is much less of a problem, unless you sweat more than normal...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Just out of curiosity, can we see it zipped all the way up to the top? Does it have a lot more space compared to a normal one?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yes it has.

I will try to capture a few more pics when the weather cleares up.

its raining like crazy here now...
sebas
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sebas »

Eric, just checking out the thread. WOW just WOW!!! :whip:
Amazing jacket you have there. :shock: One for the books. I love all the screen cap comparison photos too. Sending you a big high-five from Spain!
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Holt,

Did you provide the tri-glides for the jacket or did Peter provide them? My jacket from 2004 came with bronze tri-glides installed without me asking for them.

thanks
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I asked for them.

black metal tri glides.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Holt,

Is this what the tri glides look like on the jacket?

thanks again,
indy1936
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont know..they could work.I dont know how the look like on the hero jacket.but if you look on the first page of my thread,you can see what my tri glides look like.
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

I was trying to find a match for what I see on your jacket. But it is hard to tell from the picture on the first page. The straps are obscuring most of the tri glide and the picture is too small for my eyes. :P I guess what I meant to ask is do these tri-glides match what is on your jacket? thanks
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

Holt - your specs look dead on. It seems that the Wested ROLA specs are not as SA, especially in the yoke/arm seam area. Anyone know why this is the case? Should we start a poll - Peter to review the ROLA specs?
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

I'm for that
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Me too.

Would be great if Peter would standarize the longer collar and the arm vs. yoke seams.

8)
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

PLEASE

As far as I'M concerned, Holt's keen eye(s) have gotten us all (and COULD get Wested) closer to the Finish Line on the Raiders Jacket than we've EVER been.

It would be foolish to not incorporate such SPOT ON SPECS into the jacket Wested provides.

Peter, PLEASE!
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I think that's a great idea. Seems to be the general consensus that everybody thinks this is perfect.

I also wonder if Peter would go nuts if I requested holt specs...
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

WhipDude wrote:I think that's a great idea. Seems to be the general consensus that everybody thinks this is perfect.

Probably not as I asked for Holt's yolk specs and Marc Kittner's pocket specs on my last Raiders custom. :o

And I've been tossing this around for a while now. I really love my Wested HH but Holt's collar looks so good to me. If I could get that collar on my jacket, it would be perfect (at least for me). This is probably a dunce question, but is it just the collar that's bigger or did the surrounding leather have to be modified for the bigger collar as well. If it's just the collar, I would seriously consider sending my Wested back to have alterations on the collar over the summer (when I wouldn't miss it as much :lol: )
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

crismans wrote:
WhipDude wrote:I think that's a great idea. Seems to be the general consensus that everybody thinks this is perfect.

Probably not as I asked for Holt's yolk specs and Marc Kittner's pocket specs on my last Raiders custom. :o

And I've been tossing this around for a while now. I really love my Wested HH but Holt's collar looks so good to me. If I could get that collar on my jacket, it would be perfect (at least for me). This is probably a dunce question, but is it just the collar that's bigger or did the surrounding leather have to be modified for the bigger collar as well. If it's just the collar, I would seriously consider sending my Wested back to have alterations on the collar over the summer (when I wouldn't miss it as much :lol: )
the collar length/storm flap length is longer as proportioned to the 2 front panels. in order to accomodate that, the front panel templates need to be revised (ie- more leather removed so the opening when fully zipped up is larger). now if you've made up all the patterns for all the sizes already....this is quite difficult to change globally.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

.....forgot to mention....as the longer collar sits lower on the front panels now, the zipper length will also need to be shortened.....alot of stuff goes on for an authentic collar......but isn't this something that should of been in the pattern all along? ;-) :P
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:.....forgot to mention....as the longer collar sits lower on the front panels now, the zipper length will also need to be shortened.....alot of stuff goes on for an authentic collar......but isn't this something that should of been in the pattern all along? ;-) :P
I don't think so. I don't think the huge collar is anything but perception from certain scenes. In other words if there was an original pattern being used, I doubt it would have such a collar.
TN's jacket certainly didn't result in such a collar, and it would have if it was a reality on the jacket.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I agree. The size of the color is going to depend on many things. One being the angle of which it is being viewed.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

RCSignals wrote:
Indiana G wrote:.....forgot to mention....as the longer collar sits lower on the front panels now, the zipper length will also need to be shortened.....alot of stuff goes on for an authentic collar......but isn't this something that should of been in the pattern all along? ;-) :P
I don't think so. I don't think the huge collar is anything but perception from certain scenes. In other words if there was an original pattern being used, I doubt it would have such a collar.
TN's jacket certainly didn't result in such a collar, and it would have if it was a reality on the jacket.
i do not think that what TN had was indeed the hero jacket.....which was peter's prototype made for deb nadoolman......at least not the one in the raven bar, nor the temple scenes........nor the WOS scenes for that matter......

your exactly right in that screen grabs don't tell the entire story.....they do however, tell over 50% of the story ;-)

since there are a bajillion wested's, and numerous todd's jackets floating around......can anyone post proof that the screen collar length was per today's standard offering.....recreating angle of shot and what have you? i can't even do it with my shrunken lamb TN.....but i'm a 44 jacket size and supposedly ford was a 40 back then. can anyone show that the collar was as per today's design? {ps - a size 38 person wearing a size 46 jacket doesn't count} :lol:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

standard wested. perception of length can be elusive when viewing head on......not so much on a profile view.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:
RCSignals wrote:
i do not think that what TN had was indeed the hero jacket.....which was peter's prototype made for deb nadoolman......at least not the one in the raven bar, nor the temple scenes........nor the WOS scenes for that matter......

your exactly right in that screen grabs don't tell the entire story.....they do however, tell over 50% of the story ;-)

since there are a bajillion wested's, and numerous todd's jackets floating around......can anyone post proof that the screen collar length was per today's standard offering.....recreating angle of shot and what have you? i can't even do it with my shrunken lamb TN.....but i'm a 44 jacket size and supposedly ford was a 40 back then. can anyone show that the collar was as per today's design? {ps - a size 38 person wearing a size 46 jacket doesn't count} :lol:
I'm beginning to believe what TN had was in fact a HF worn hero jacket, and may well have been that 'protoype'

that said I don't think HF wore the same jacket throughout Raiders, and that's supported from the movie itself and anecdotal evidence.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:Image

standard wested. perception of length can be elusive when viewing head on......not so much on a profile view.
perspective, perception, is still off there.
If you lighten the photo, the collar itself is not that wide, and it appears the jacket is calling off his shoulder slightly, as well as to his front, toward the camera view, so it may not be as large around the neck either. It's hard to believe that a jacket would be made with a 20" or so collar when it isn't necessary.
We do know that the 'second batch' of jackets apparently were all quite different from one another.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

just for the fun of it.

take a look here,I lightend the photo of Ford up a bit.all though the collar is not 100% SA,it is still very close and good enough for me.and it is is the most SA collar knocked out of wested since the flick. IMO

my quest about a super accurate raiders wested is over.to give you the truth,I have become a bit tired of this wole SA thing.Im tired of chasing rabbits.but that doesnt mean that I wont get another wested jacket again.I know that I will,Peter has something awesome coming in soon,but I am sworn to secrecy,so please dont ask! but now I am in the mood for a temple of doom jacket, and not have to worrie about getting the details right,that will be a new thing for me,so we will see how I react to it ;-)
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Indiana Holt wrote:my quest about a super accurate raiders wested is over.to give you the truth,I have become a bit tired of this wole SA thing.Im tired of chasing rabbits.but that doesnt mean that I wont get another wested jacket again.
Holt, I'm with you on this 100%. As many people have said, Harrison Ford could've come right off the set of Raiders and given you the jacket right off of his back. There would still be people nitpicking THAT jacket over screen accuracy.

The ONLY thing that matters in the end is whether or not you love the jacket you received. Does it fit you? Do you like the way it looks on you and off? Do you like the leather? Amen, brother!

I, and apparently a few others, think that your latest Wested is one of the best Raiders jackets I've ever seen from Wested. But if you didn't like it what would any of that matter? (I'm glad your really do love it though!)

Having said that: Hey, I can't wait to see your next jacket, Holt!
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I took the plunge and emailed Gemma requesting Holt specs. I just hope they change the special requests area only and keep all my other measurements the same and not get confused.

I'd like to see you decked out in full gear wearing that Holt. Posing in some classic Raiders scenes.
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Indiana Holt wrote:just for the fun of it.

take a look here,I lightend the photo of Ford up a bit.all though the collar is not 100% SA,it is still very close and good enough for me.and it is is the most SA collar knocked out of wested since the flick. IMO

my quest about a super accurate raiders wested is over.to give you the truth,I have become a bit tired of this wole SA thing.Im tired of chasing rabbits.but that doesnt mean that I wont get another wested jacket again.I know that I will,Peter has something awesome coming in soon,but I am sworn to secrecy,so please dont ask! but now I am in the mood for a temple of doom jacket, and not have to worrie about getting the details right,that will be a new thing for me,so we will see how I react to it ;-
)
I also know what Peter is planning and your right, it should be very nice! However the look of your jacket is what my mind thinks the original jacket looked like. On that basis, it rocks!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:just for the fun of it.

my quest about a super accurate raiders wested is over.to give you the truth,I have become a bit tired of this wole SA thing.Im tired of chasing rabbits.but that doesnt mean that I wont get another wested jacket again.I know that I will,Peter has something awesome coming in soon,but I am sworn to secrecy,so please dont ask! but now I am in the mood for a temple of doom jacket, and not have to worrie about getting the details right,that will be a new thing for me,so we will see how I react to it ;-)
Don't get me wrong Holt. I think your jacket is great, and you have a good eye for these things. i just don't think the jacket in that picture has a collar 'too large' for Ford's neck.
I can't wait to hear what you think of your ToD jacket.