"The Vintage Indy" Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

"The Vintage Indy" Boots

Post by sneakertinker »

For those of you who are interested here is the lates Alden Indy Boot offering from Leathersoul Hawaii...It's named "The Vintage Indy"...

http://www.leathersoulhawaii.com/2008/1 ... tage-indy/

maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

They look beautiful, but that's some serious sticker shock!
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

It is "up there" a bit. :?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

If I was going to pay $450 USD for some boots, those boots had better know how to do my dishes or SOMETHING!
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

I need Cammer to take me on his next thrift store trip. ;)

Yeah, $450 is about $300 more than I'm willing to pay for a pair of work boots.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Don't get me wrong, Aldens are great. I own a pair, but at $320, they are a bit of a luxury and in my opinion, overpriced. Add an additional $130 to the normal price, and not things are getting totally out of hand.

Either someone is having a laugh at the expense of Indy fans, or they just really think their boots are the Dog's B's. Either way, I find it hard to believe that the materials and time required to make these things even APPROACHES $320, let alone $450.

Of course, I know nothing about making boots, but I know plenty about wearing them! For everyday wear, I love nothing better than my Aldens, but for real exploration, its the LL Bean Cresta for me. One of the best boots available.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

OMG......it's beautiful..... :cry:
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Well said maboot38. Something fishy is going on. :?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

maboot38 wrote:Don't get me wrong, Aldens are great. I own a pair, but at $320, they are a bit of a luxury and in my opinion, overpriced. Add an additional $130 to the normal price, and not things are getting totally out of hand.
Well how much were the AB Aldens, and what makes them different than these besides the color? I think these particular boots would make great CS style Aldens. They also have an "Ultimate Indy Boot" there that looks like it would be great for Raiders. They're a dark brown, and absolutely gorgeous!

Shane
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

maboot38 wrote:Don't get me wrong, Aldens are great. I own a pair, but at $320, they are a bit of a luxury and in my opinion, overpriced. Add an additional $130 to the normal price, and not things are getting totally out of hand.

Either someone is having a laugh at the expense of Indy fans, or they just really think their boots are the Dog's B's. Either way, I find it hard to believe that the materials and time required to make these things even APPROACHES $320, let alone $450.

Of course, I know nothing about making boots, but I know plenty about wearing them! For everyday wear, I love nothing better than my Aldens, but for real exploration, its the LL Bean Cresta for me. One of the best boots available.
i own a pair of OTR alden's and a pair of tom's offerings. tom's boots are exceptionally well made even compared to the tank-like construction of the standard 405. the LSH alden's are very luxurious and you know it as soon as you wear them.....feels like squishy velvet on your feet and there are little extras all over the boot that puts it in another league.

are either of the boots worth the sticker price? that's pretty much up to the consumer. there's been talk all over the board on "is that stuff worth it?".....somebody out there thinks so. personally, if i don't get enough birthday funds to cover my TN1....then i'll be happy with the boots i have (but if i do.....i'm e-mailing tom next week :lol: )
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

They only go up to a size 12D? Dang, another gear item that is difficult for me to get due to my bigger size (feet and head seem to be larger than normal).
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

... but the heel. The heel is wrong...
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Neolithic wrote:... but the heel. The heel is wrong...
there are treads on this bad boy......highly effective but in that sense, highly unnoticeable imo.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Indiana G wrote:
there are treads on this bad boy......highly effective but in that sense, highly unnoticeable imo.
I've never understood why people want treads on their Indy boots! It makes them look too clunky.

Sure, Aldens can be slippery now and then... but you have to suffer a bit for style. 8) :lol:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

eh, they ARE beautiful, but I like my CURRENT ones distressed

Nibs
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Nope. Pass. [-(
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Not sure about the tread on the soles but I love the look of the leather. I'd never wear $500 work boots to actually work in so the treading is unneeded. :lol:

My standard 405's do just fine.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

I just strongly believe in Aldens having the correct soles, regardless of how many notice them or not.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

Ever since Indy went down a river in India on a yellow life raft I'd known the soles have no treads. I don't know why they're going on about us Indyfans love of detail and then doing this. :roll:

My advice for that money is to get a pair of AB Aldens.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Neolithic wrote:Ever since Indy went down a river in India on a yellow life raft I'd known the soles have no treads. I don't know why they're going on about us Indyfans love of detail and then doing this. :roll:

My advice for that money is to get a pair of AB Aldens.
Sound advice. 8)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Neolithic wrote:
Indiana G wrote:
I've never understood why people want treads on their Indy boots! It makes them look too clunky.

Sure, Aldens can be slippery now and then... but you have to suffer a bit for style. 8) :lol:
You ever fallen wearing a pair? I have. It HURTS!!! :shock: ;-)

Regard! Michaelson
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I've got the money to get these, but I'd feel like I was getting ripped off if I paid that price. :roll:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

like i said, the treads are the least noticeable installation that you could put on this boot imo.......far from carmel's AF-64's. they are hardly noticeable on the profile but yes, very prominent when you show the souls of your feet (which you should not do in a muslim atmosphere ;-) ).

my 14 month old daughter is starting to throw tantrums which is amusing to me because its a natural thing that no one has taught her to do. she stops, drops to the floor belly down, one of her cheeks to the floor, and just starts crying.........why am i telling you folks this?....................cuz i did the exact same thing when this thread got posted by sneakertinker....... :lol:

i wish i had the cash to get these.........
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indiana G wrote:like i said, the treads are the least noticeable installation that you could put on this boot imo.......far from carmel's AF-64's. they are hardly noticeable on the profile but yes, very prominent when you show the souls of your feet (which you should not do in a muslim atmosphere ;-) ).

my 14 month old daughter is starting to throw tantrums which is amusing to me because its a natural thing that no one has taught her to do. she stops, drops to the floor belly down, one of her cheeks to the floor, and just starts crying.........why am i telling you folks this?....................cuz i did the exact same thing when this thread got posted by sneakertinker....... :lol:

i wish i had the cash to get these.........
I like the soles too, in fact I just had my Aldens resoled (lost a heel, and the soles split) and went with vibram soles because I hope they'll be more durable. Calm down, G, there's always next year. But I guess tantrums are all about wanting stuff now :) But now you darn well know how I feel every time I see one of those TN Indy I's!
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

These boots are okay, IMO. But I have to agree with those in the anti-tread camp. To me, putting treads on 405s is like putting a chinstrap on a fedora or a corkscrew on a Raiders knife. What's next on the 405s - velcro fastenings, AIR technology? Might as well paint a big grin on the Mona Lisa while you're at it!

;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

what's killing me is that i know i'll have cash later, but will these be around later? i got to fight this burning urge to e-mail tom.......gotta fight it...........
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indiana G wrote:what's killing me is that i know i'll have cash later, but will these be around later? i got to fight this burning urge to e-mail tom.......gotta fight it...........
Aw c'mon you know they'll be around later!!!

Except for your size. :whip:
feathers73
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by feathers73 »

Just keep in mind, good quality leather is worth the price.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Several "improvements" I see (and don't appreciate)

Increased price
Welt all around the boot
Weird color leather (looks a bit 'suedey' too)
The sole, as mentioned
Strange spacing of the speed laces above the eyes-

that gap is consistent on my Alden's, but on these, it is higher and a bit wider too. It might be 'better' but you'd have a hard time convincing me.

I say save the money! You can nearly get two pair from Schmidty and color one as you see fit and keep one pair 'prestine' for Sundy Church-goin'...
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Plus Schmidty said he was considering doing something along the same lines.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

If a TN Raiders goes for $1K, then $450 for a one-of-a-kind Aldens is nothing.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

But A grand gets you CLOSER to the screen-used jacket; not further from the screen used boots.

I think Stitch Nazi's should stick with the regular old "Cheap" Alden's, and color them as they see fit.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

J!m wrote:But A grand gets you CLOSER to the screen-used jacket; not further from the screen used boots.

I think Stitch Nazi's should stick with the regular old "Cheap" Alden's, and color them as they see fit.
that's just too much work. it's easier to convince yourself (and when i say that, i mean, convince your significant other) that these aldens are collectibles and that you must have them as part of your collection. i can't buy jackets anymore as i already have the perfect shrunken lamb jacket........oh wait......... :oops:

i'd love to have these but i have 3 pairs of aldens and a pair of todds boots. i don't think i could spend that much anymore considering what i already have. plus, i'd rather spend that money on the family. :)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

So, is anyone ordering a pair? :roll:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I would have to strike it rich, but if I did, then I would buy those puppies in a heart beat. They are exactly what I have always wanted. Aldens with those very excellent soles. I know, not SA, but I don't give a bat's cupcake! You'll never notice when I'm standing in the grass or a cool, darkened indoor photo-op. They are gear, and they are FULLY functional. That, to me, is what the Aldens never had.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

You make a good point. I may have to reconsider.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

when your old aldens need a re-sole, just have them changed to what you want!

Then the replacement pair is for "photo op's" only...

I was just up in VT for the weekend, and though they are slippery on glare ice, I have yet to find an (unstudded) sole that is much better on glare ice... :-k Studded Vibram soles are the best on ice, but you can't wear those year-round now can you...
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I think I'm going to give it a month or so and if Shmidty can't come up with something, I'm going to go after a pair of these.
Indiana Max
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Max »

These Aldens look just awesome :shock:
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Yes, they do. The more I look at them, the more I like them.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Imahomer wrote:Yes, they do. The more I look at them, the more I like them.
I am right there with you!!! I am SERIOUSLY considering ordering a pair and just getting a different heel put on- maybe changing out my 405s heel and putting it on these

Nibs
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

The heel is referred to as a "Thomas heel," so you could get them replaced by any good cobbler without having to tear them off another pair of shoes. ;-)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

If I get these bad boys, I'm wearing them as is. If someone gets down on the ground and tells me the heel is wrong... :lol: Well, I just don't think that's going to happen.
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Seems like these are doing very well as Leathersoul has only a few sizes left and Tom is already planning on placing an order for another run...
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Really? Geee.... I would have thought with the price, time of the year and the economy, the sales might be a little slow.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

J!m wrote:Several "improvements" I see (and don't appreciate)

Increased price
Welt all around the boot
Weird color leather (looks a bit 'suedey' too)
The sole, as mentioned
Strange spacing of the speed laces above the eyes-

that gap is consistent on my Alden's, but on these, it is higher and a bit wider too. It might be 'better' but you'd have a hard time convincing me.

I say save the money! You can nearly get two pair from Schmidty and color one as you see fit and keep one pair 'prestine' for Sundy Church-goin'...
Are these actual Alden's, or a knock off?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

What the deuce? They're going to be even MORE expensive?!?!?!

Nibs
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

BTW these are definitely LC version Aldens, not Raiders, or TOD. I guess if you sanded them down enough they COULD be CS style

Nibs
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I would have to strike it rich, but if I did, then I would buy those puppies in a heart beat. They are exactly what I have always wanted. Aldens with those very excellent soles. I know, not SA, but I don't give a bat's cupcake! You'll never notice when I'm standing in the grass or a cool, darkened indoor photo-op. They are gear, and they are FULLY functional. That, to me, is what the Aldens never had.
"FULLY functional". That to me would be the best thing about them. They're as close as you can get to SA and still be fully functional. It's the one thing that I don't like about the Alden's and have never been able to get fully over. And they're still a bit cheaper than the AB version that some have paid over 700 dollars for. As always there's something out there for everyone based on the compromises we are and aren't inclined to make. I really like these "Vintage Indy" boots. These could actually be daily wearers for me even in the winter which anything with leather soles are not a go to shoe for me. Ultimately I am a form before fashion type person. Still, they are pretty pricey and I'm not ready to pull the trigger just yet...

My daily wearers most of the year are a pair of cowboy boots that my wife got for me a few years back which I can wear to work or casual as I see fit. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes I own. I do not wear them in the snow anymore - EVER. The two times I've ever tried I've almost wiped out something fierce. I'll wear anything but leather sole when there's snow on the ground. She never told me how much they cost but I suspect that they were between 350-400 dollars. She is not what I call a "spender" but if something is just right then it's just right regardless of price I suppose.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

It's pretty much impossible to wear regular Aldens in ct in the winter. I'm sure you can back me up about this "Don't Call Me Junior!".

The 12"+ inches of snow we just got made me pack my shoes up for the winter. :lol: Its impossible to walk in them. Wearing them would be a death wish.

Is it really a good idea to wear a leather welted shoe in the winter anyhow? I'd imagine all the snow would be bad for them. I can't step outside my house without having snow go up to my ankles.

Personally I could care less about how a lug sole would look. If I don't have one on the shoes I wear on a daily basis I'm asking for trouble. I personally think its a necessity up here.