Wested TOD arrived!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I ordered my 44R on Nov. 6......won't get mine 'til early-mid Jan according to Gemma. :cry:
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Like the looks of the new TOD so far as outside specs etc......Has anyone questioned problems of a nylon lining ??.....I fear it's going to be HOT for us living in temperate climates (one of reasons HF hated original from Paterson's reports)....what about some discussion? as if I had to ask... ;-)
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Well, if it's an accurate copy of the original, it's what we wanted, and it's what we're going to get!
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Well, if it's an accurate copy of the original, it's what we wanted, and it's what we're going to get!
agreed, but I don't have a set designer to rip out lining and replace with something more comfortable.........
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

It's nylon, not ashphalt. Sure, it's going to be hotter than cotton, but not by that much, unless you're a complete wuss. :)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

And who are you to be calling HF a "wuss" ?? :whip:
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Yeah, I was wondering if anyone asked peter for a cotton lining instead of the nylon? Anyone?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I am envious of the non-stitched bottom hem. :mrgreen:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Very nice, I agree with Kevin Anderson, this jacket behaves very nicely with your arms extended. I agree with Holt, that yoke really is low! (Yes, accurate, but still surprising ) I disagree with Bigrex, the arms look perfect, since you'll want lots and lots of wrinkles :)
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Yeah Indy's sleeves were pretty long. These jackets just don't look right if the sleeves are too short.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

After seeing this post & the great-looking jacket, I was very interested in getting one. But I emailed Peter to ask if I could order a 40R with the only mods being a higher yoke seam and a tapered back panel, as they do on the 80's fitted jackets. This is the response I got:

Dear Jace,
I have spoken to Peter and he said we are very sorry but we are unable to alter the back panal and the yoke as you have requested.
Sorry for any disappointment caused.
Cheers Gemma

Is there a reason that they cannot do this on the ToD jackets? I would think that with it being their highest-priced cusomizeable Indy jacket, that only 2 modifications should be a breeze. I mean, I've seen some of the 3 page long spec sheets some of us here have sent to them, not to mention that my off-the-peg 40R in washed goat came with the higher yoke seem without a request for it. I think I may have to just pony-up the extra cash and order the G&B...what a let-down...

~Jace
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I don't know why a low yoke is surprising at all. Thats just how it was on the original jacket.

Last edited by agent5 on Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

agent5 wrote:You look like a serial killer, dude. :lol: Ted Bundy anyone?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That has got to be the single-most funniest post I've EVER read on CoW!!! I'm still wiping away tears! Talk about random!
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Looks like you were due for a laugh, Castor. Glad to be of assistance. He really does look a little like Bundy too. No offense or anything. Just pointing out an observation.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, no offence Tron, but yeah, Agent5, I totally see where you're coming from:

No offence meant Agent5, but that was just pure brilliance! :notworthy:
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

I'm not inquiring why the high yoke isn't standard on these jackets, but why they refuse to do it as a request. It is something that they have a history of doing is the past, so...and the tapered back panel has also been done before...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

There seems to be a slight difference in the construction of the side vents. KT, can you shine a little light on this one? If Peter had the jacket in hand I'm pretty curious how it could or should be any different than the original jacket.

r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

I don't really see that much of a difference. Nice jacket Tron. Can't wait for mine to show up.
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

Is there a reason that they cannot do this on the ToD jackets? I would think that with it being their highest-priced cusomizeable Indy jacket, that only 2 modifications should be a breeze. I mean, I've seen some of the 3 page long spec sheets some of us here have sent to them, not to mention that my off-the-peg 40R in washed goat came with the higher yoke seem without a request for it. I think I may have to just pony-up the extra cash and order the G&B...what a let-down...

Reason that they cannot do this? Because it's basically changing the entire design and pattern of that jacket. If you want the higher yoke just order a Raiders and ask for smaller pockets.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Can you get a Raiders jacket with the 3 prong buckles?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I agree with agent5 on the vent construction.

they are very different.that stitch shouldnt be there...in this way I think the vent wont stay open like the film jacket does.....
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Tron, what are the pocket size measurements and can you get hand in handwarmer pocket??
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

That's interesting! I'll point him at the pics. The proto was made like Trons.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

they are very different.that stitch shouldnt be there...in this way I think the vent wont stay open like the film jacket does.....
It's also missing a stitch on the one (right) side of the vent. You can see the stitch coming out in the second photo.
I also mentioned on page one that the top of the storm flap is rounded off where the original clearly shows it very squared off. It would be best for Peter to get the kinks out now before he starts shipping more. I'm just curious how these slipped when they should be incorporated in the patterns made from the original?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The rounded top is your legacy A5, the machinists have had it drummed into them, "round top" "ROUND TOP". LOL (I've already pointed that out to Peter).
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Tyrloch wrote:Can you get a Raiders jacket with the 3 prong buckles?
Quite possibly, if you ask, they are 2 prong though!
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Woot! You go, KT! :mrgreen:

They haven't gotten around to cutting 44s have they? Hopefully, these new corrections will be added making it even more SA.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

The rounded top is your legacy A5, the machinists have had it drummed into them, "round top" "ROUND TOP". LOL
I know, KT. Peter just has to begin to know the differences between all of the jackets. However, I thought there were patterns drawn up for this particular jacket and the squared off top would be in the cut. I just hope that he doesn't go in reverse and begin to go back to doing the Raiders jackets squared off seeing as he just got ahold of the correct rounded off Raiders storm flap.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

agent5 wrote:
The rounded top is your legacy A5, the machinists have had it drummed into them, "round top" "ROUND TOP". LOL
I know, KT. Peter just has to begin to know the differences between all of the jackets. However, I thought there were patterns drawn up for this particular jacket and the squared off top would be in the cut. I just hope that he doesn't go in reverse and begin to go back to doing the Raiders jackets squared off seeing as he just got ahold of the correct rounded off Raiders storm flap.
I'm sure it's being addressed, I noticed it on a jacket last weekend and pointed it out to him. (Yup, I wandered over there last weekend!). The square part is cut in the leather, but the machinist can/will round off, if they think it's supposed to be like that!

I think the 2 reference pics you just posted of the TOD stormflap are 2 different jackets. Both are squared. But different jackets.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

coronado3 wrote:I am sure they will be going out in sequence of when they were ordered as they are all custom (not OTR/standard).
I ordered 29 October in a size 40 asking for no changes from original jacket specs. So they aren't being sent in sequence of order.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:That's interesting! I'll point him at the pics. The proto was made like Trons.
KT did the proto have the squared or rounded collar stand end at the storm flap top?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

agent5 wrote:There seems to be a slight difference in the construction of the side vents. KT, can you shine a little light on this one? If Peter had the jacket in hand I'm pretty curious how it could or should be any different than the original jacket.

minus the low yoke and smaller pockets, this side vent configuration is one of the major things that sets this jacket apart from all the other ones. the design is totally different as to how the back panel mates to the side panels. it seems there are some 'raiders/LC' influences here that should not come into play. i hope this can be addressed in the future.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:That's interesting! I'll point him at the pics. The proto was made like Trons.
KT did the proto have the squared or rounded collar stand end at the storm flap top?
It's 'slightly' rounded. As you know the original was pretty mashed, but the pattern parts have a squared of top to the storm flap.

agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

What kind of leather is in that last pic, KT? Looks great for this jacket.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

agent5 wrote:What kind of leather is in that last pic, KT? Looks great for this jacket.
It's called 'Burnished Lamb' it's exceedingly soft and buttery, lovely stuff but too soft I think.
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Hatch wrote:Tron, what are the pocket size measurements and can you get hand in handwarmer pocket??
Pockets are 5.25" wide and 6" tall, and I can just barely squeeze my hands in the handwarmers.
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Image[/quote]

I thought the ToD's came with gussetts standard. Is it just me, or are there no gussetts here?
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

If you read the description on the Wested site, it mentions something about built in gussets. I think I remember Peter saying they were internal, so we may not be able to see them.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

inside....no outside gussets
Tyrloch
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tyrloch »

Ah, I misunderstood that to mean that they were built-in so there was no need to request them. Still a bit fuzzy how they work if you can't see them... :-k
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

ToD-Day +1 and no one else has gotten their jacket? That's a bit odd...

I am looking forward to seeing this jacket in the different leathers as well.
St. Dumas
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by St. Dumas »

There are no "internal" gussets. That doesn't make any sense. I believe Peter meant that the design didn't require gussets.

SD
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Perhaps he meant inside gussets. I know some A-2s where built with inside gussets. I guess they built the extra movement area into the lining rather than on the jacket itself.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

This is what Peter said:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The jacket and shirt pattern is done, but the jacket is constructed in a strange way with built in gussets and strange collar configuration.
Anyway will cut it tomorrow and we will see.
Also have bought all the NH stock which I should have next week.
Cheers
Peter
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... &start=350
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote:This is what Peter said:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 am Post subject: Reply with quote
The jacket and shirt pattern is done, but the jacket is constructed in a strange way with built in gussets and strange collar configuration.
Anyway will cut it tomorrow and we will see.
Also have bought all the NH stock which I should have next week.
Cheers
Peter
http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... &start=350
He's tried to explain that to me on a couple of occasions. There are not gussets in the conventional sense. I think the way the sleeve is cut gives more room under the pit (and no, it does not cause squirrellage!). Hence the "built in gusset." There is no gusset line visible.

And the collar is constructed differently too, anyone spotted how yet?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Kt Templar wrote:[
The collar doesn't have a separate piece of leather on the inside and is just stitched at the collar break?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Baldwyn wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:[
The collar doesn't have a separate piece of leather on the inside and is just stitched at the collar break?
Could be! ;)
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Some pics to aid in the collar question.

PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

With regards to Gussets the underarm panel of the sleeve has been extended to form the shape of a gusset therefore providing extra movement without the need for a gusset. Very clever.
The collar differs from all others as there is no collar stand as such.
The collar and stand are cut in one piece although there is a stand underneath.
Someone ask to taper the back. The back panel is already tapered making the jacket slimmer.
I am making slight corrections to the side vent and collar stand edge but approx 20 have been finished and already despatched.
We are still waiting on washed goatskin arriving Friday and the size 38, 48 & 50 pattern which will be done this Saturday and made next week.
Please be patient
Cheers
Peter
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

PETER wrote:With regards to Gussets the underarm panel of the sleeve has been extended to form the shape of a gusset therefore providing extra movement without the need for a gusset. Very clever.
The collar differs from all others as there is no collar stand as such.
The collar and stand are cut in one piece although there is a stand underneath.
Someone ask to taper the back. The back panel is already tapered making the jacket slimmer.
I am making slight corrections to the side vent and collar stand edge but approx 20 have been finished and already despatched.
We are still waiting on washed goatskin arriving Friday and the size 38, 48 & 50 pattern which will be done this Saturday and made next week.
Please be patient
Cheers
Peter
Thanks for the feedback, Peter, much appreciated. Interesting how this design tries to "hide" gussets and collar stands.