NH Screen Used Trousers

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

I have bought pinks pants from the 1940s in pristine condition and those guys couldn't preserve this pair of pants from the 80s. What a pity.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

What was the waist size of the TOD pants? Size 32?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

KT, many thanks for posting this. :D

I've seen a few photos where the Temple of Doom pants where they seem to have a one or two inch hem. I'll see if I can post some pictures for you guys. :wink:
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Unfortunately, the industry as a whole, doesn't seem to value wardrobe or props after the movie's been completed, especially action films.

Recently I visited Universal Studios and witnessed a horrible neglect of the Back to the Future Delorean. Leather cracked, Stainless stained, just sitting in a outside garage in the dirt. Only surviving BTTF Delorean, the others where dismantled and resold :cry:

They just don't care....
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Mods,

These photos are an incredible reference. Should they be "sticky"?

Dan S
Last edited by Alkali Jones on Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

After seeing those pics I better go check what's going on in my closet.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Gotta say... every time I watch the first three films on DVD with a sharpened eye, the only difference in pants colour I can see is in LC. The RotLA and ToD pants (still) look identical to me! :-k
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

If only he knew what FREAKS there were out there (in HERE, for that matter) that would give their arm and leg to have these

Nibs
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Amen, Knibs7 ;-)

Regards,

Soup

Good pictures by the way.
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scavoj »

Kt Templar wrote:One image I forgot to post yesterday!

The bottom of the hem is at least 4 layers of cloth sewn together, no wonder they stay hanging the way they do.

Please forgive my ignorance but from the picture, it's difficult to tell if the stitch is parallel to the bottom of the pants or to the ground.

Thanks,
Joe
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

When the pants have a military hem they are shorter at the front and slightly longer at the heel.
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scavoj »

I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. The bottom of the hem (the part that touches the boot) is shorter in the front that in the back). The stitching is about 3 inches above that. It's the stitching is where I had the problem. It may be because I've never hemmed a pair of pants before :roll:, but is the stitching parallel to the uneven bottom of the hemm or parallel to the ground. I would thind that the stitching would look funny if it were parallel to the uneven bottom of the hem.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I suppose the turned up portion sort of parallel to the hem there doesn't seem to be an effort to make it parallel to the ground. It's inside the trouser leg so I guess it doesn't matter either way. :).
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scavoj »

Kt Templar wrote:I suppose the turned up portion sort of parallel to the hem there doesn't seem to be an effort to make it parallel to the ground. It's inside the trouser leg so I guess it doesn't matter either way. :).
But the Stitch will show on the outside of the pant leg. I'm getting my pants hemmed by a tailor so I'll just let them decide what would look better.

I appreciate your help.

Joe
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

scavoj wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:I suppose the turned up portion sort of parallel to the hem there doesn't seem to be an effort to make it parallel to the ground. It's inside the trouser leg so I guess it doesn't matter either way. :).
But the Stitch will show on the outside of the pant leg. I'm getting my pants hemmed by a tailor so I'll just let them decide what would look better.

I appreciate your help.

Joe
The stitch is more a tack, it doesn't go all the way to the outside. You're not supposed to see it.... although you can, a bit! :)

Show them pic of what you are trying to achieve, I'm not sure a military hem is that often asked for!

Go and dig out some pics of marines in their dress uniforms, they have military hems IIRC.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

It would be an invisible stitch. You wouldn't see it.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

scavoj wrote:I guess I didn't explain myself correctly. The bottom of the hem (the part that touches the boot) is shorter in the front that in the back). The stitching is about 3 inches above that. It's the stitching is where I had the problem. It may be because I've never hemmed a pair of pants before :roll:, but is the stitching parallel to the uneven bottom of the hemm or parallel to the ground. I would thind that the stitching would look funny if it were parallel to the uneven bottom of the hem.
I thought the Military hem was made by cutting the bottom off the trouser-leg in a way that the front was higher than the back, turning the pieces that were cut off inside-out and putting them over the pants back to front and upside down (so the unevenly cut parts would line up, giving two layers of fabric that are shorter at the front than at the back) sewing them together at the bottom and folding the sewn-on piece of the trouser-leg inside for hemming. (wow, this is hard to describe without pictures)

If this is correct, the hem-stitching should be parralel to the ground.

Regards, Geert
scavoj
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by scavoj »

gwyddion wrote: (wow, this is hard to describe without pictures)
Yes, but an excellent description. Thank you.

Now I understand what I didn't understand. :) It was simply my ignorance of the military hem. I had been trying to figure out why it looked the way it did at the bottom.

Thanks,
Joe
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Gents,

Don't forget the pants taper some, so the piece you cut off must be ripped and resewn with the correct taper (very slightly smaller) or it will pull the "tacked" area way in toward your leg and look gathered, or kind of crumpled up. This is why it's so important to make the pant leg with enough seam allowance for the military hem.

If you're able, print the pictures on the preceding page of the to hem shots, this would help a tailor. Also, be prepared to explain the "military hem": Normal cut on the shoes, one inch longer in back.

If you don't have enough fabric to cut off, the US Army just cuts a small slit in the front and the back of the hem to accomodate the taper. My nephew is about 6'5" and his hem was done this way. (I know, I'm weird that I even looked!!)

Dan S

PS The "tacked" (blind hemmed) part of the hem shoul be paralell to the ground, perpendicular to the leg seam. ;-)
golpeo_rapidamente
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by golpeo_rapidamente »

Templar

Thanks for sharing the pics.
That photo of the hem is awesome and is strange way of doing it and unless i had seen your pics i would have said never in a million years.

Thanks again for your contribution

Sam
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

From what I can tell by visually reverse engineering the pants, they are comprised of 4 main pieces, not counting the fly crossover, pocket flaps, or the belt loops.
Last edited by whipwarrior on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.