Shrunken Lamb on Blu Ray

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Shrunken Lamb on Blu Ray

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Just curious as to what people's thoughts are about this. Say Raiders hits Blu Ray in a year or 2 and with higher resolution, we see... some more visible shrunken lamb, maybe visible in some shots, maybe none more visible at all.

Will people for whom it doesn't feel right on them feel different? To me, its odd to be in a position where I'm considering buying a jacket that doesn't show up the same way now as it could in the new "screen reality" (not a serious term! :P ) in a couple of years.

Or one could buy another great looking jacket in something else that looks "more accurate" now that would then be even more diminished over time because the hide looks too devoid of texture.

Not that this even has an answer...

Why did I have to come to this site and keep reading!??! :lol: :cry: :lol:
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

While video resoloution may be improved and more detail seen on the eventual Blu-ray release, it will not change or impact the still images that have been available through the years. I think there are enough good stills to show what the movie hides did or did not look like in certain sceens.
-Ben
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

How can you say it will not change or impact the still images we have seen throughout the years? It is HIGHER RESOLUTION/HIGH DEFINITION. Therefore, the still images you would get from a blu ray disc would be much clearer than a movie still from a dvd. Unless you are talking about publicity shots from magazines or whatnot. Then, I could see how it might not really make a difference. Please elaborate

Nibs
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I have Superman: The Movie on blu ray. Although it is SIGNIFICANTLY clearer and looks good, it's not a night and day experience that you would expect in visual terms.

You can see a big difference from Superman on blu ray compared to say Crystal Skull. However, we are talking old movie-old blu ray vs new movie-new blu ray.

When Raiders et al. eventually come out on blu ray, it'll be on newest blu ray technology so there may be a big difference.

As far as the jacket is concerned, I tend to focus on the cut and fit moreso then the hide and I like the cut and fit of the TN jackets that I have seen posted. I even like the dinohide but cost is a killer even with the alt leathers. It'll take me a while to save up for one.
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

knibs7 wrote:How can you say it will not change or impact the still images we have seen throughout the years? It is HIGHER RESOLUTION/HIGH DEFINITION. Therefore, the still images you would get from a blu ray disc would be much clearer than a movie still from a dvd. Unless you are talking about publicity shots from magazines or whatnot. Then, I could see how it might not really make a difference. Please elaborate

Nibs
Nibs,
You answered your own question. It will not impact still images as I said. I did not say anything about screen grabs. Going all the way back to the original release the photos are what they are, and speak for themselves. Video, DVD, and Blu-ray tell their own stories. I do not see why someone would be swayed by a Blu-ray release to have buyers remorse over a purchase now. Buyers can make a decision based on what's already available as far as I am concerned.
-Ben
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

I think it's a matter of the film itself having more weight in the matter. Let's face it, it doesn't really have any bearing on our perception of the look of the jacket in the film just because someone can pull out an obscure production shot.

What I'm getting at is that though the shrunken lamb jacket may look a certain way in real life and it's completely different to the way it appears on screen AT THE MOMENT, its interesting that the people that have not liked their TN have cited this sort of intangible reason to sell it.

Are we just around the corner from a new sense of the textured look of this jacket that will make everything else look too smooth?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Yojimbo Jones wrote:........

Are we just around the corner from a new sense of the textured look of this jacket that will make everything else look too smooth?
I think that corner has been turned. If you read teh recent threads many have come to the conclusin there is a textured look rather than smooth. Some just still don't accept the shrunken lamb.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I think all this means is there will be more options and more to debate! :)

However, I do see a line being drawn in the sand for some.
I agree that the actual film jacket definately has a more textured look to it, but I'm not wearing something that looks like beef jerky and has been called a piece of &%@! by that actor who plays that archaeologist. I think Holt's most recent Wested is as far as I want to go.

Beef jerky? You go first...
;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

perhaps this question can be asked to PETER then in regards to the hides that he used in raiders.

TN says that the lamb is prepared by spreading an 'enzyme' onto the leather which causes it to shrink up and give us all the nice dino-hide features.

PETER recalls that the raiders hide also had a bunch of stuff done to it.......i recall (the now illegal) whale oil used on the hide itself.

here's the question though........did the treatment that peter described in another thread cause the hide to shrink and give off the grain like TN's shrunken lamb? if that is indeed the case with peter's raiders jacket, would it not also be difficult to construct with as per what TN is saying?

PETER, aside for making custom jackets for me (which would have been a pain in the behind too :lol: ), do you not recall dealing with such difficult material?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana G wrote:perhaps this question can be asked to PETER then in regards to the hides that he used in raiders.

TN says that the lamb is prepared by spreading an 'enzyme' onto the leather which causes it to shrink up and give us all the nice dino-hide features.

PETER recalls that the raiders hide also had a bunch of stuff done to it.......i recall (the now illegal) whale oil used on the hide itself.

here's the question though........did the treatment that peter described in another thread cause the hide to shrink and give off the grain like TN's shrunken lamb? if that is indeed the case with peter's raiders jacket, would it not also be difficult to construct with as per what TN is saying?

PETER, aside for making custom jackets for me (which would have been a pain in the behind too :lol: ), do you not recall dealing with such difficult material?
.......or perhaps the manufacturing of the jacket was difficult which is why the prototype was so imperfect.........the truth is out there (sorry, just saw x-files movie on the weekend......hated it)...........
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I wonder if you can get whale oil anywhere "black market"-like

Nibs
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Japan maybe?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

didn't hannibal get hand lotion made from whale oil in italy ;-) :shock:
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

You cannot increase resolution beyond the original media.

Even if the original film is used as the base (as it should be, and I beleive was for the DVD) detail resolution beyond what is on the original film frames is not possible.

It is possible to digitally enhance the images; however in that case the computer is making decisions as to what you should be seeing, not necesarily adding details "lost" in the previous versions.

Based on that, it is quite possible for some original information contained in older versions to be lost through the 'sharpening' process of the digtital enhancement of the blueray version.

I am sure the overall impact will be great- color correction between scenes and films would presumably be more consistent, far greater contrast ratio etc. but don't get your hopes up to make any earth shaking discoveries with the release of the blueray versions.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

J!m wrote:You cannot increase resolution beyond the original media.
J!m, you need to go write for CSI and whatever other stupid shows/movies that think they can zoom in on film footage and re-pixelize to something that is so clear, it's as if you were actually at the scene :lol: that always bugged me. the only scene like that that i did buy was the zoom in during the playback of spock's death scene in star trek 3 :)
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

It really comes down to the grain in the negative at the time, and the deterioration of the neg. A 35mm frame can hold considerably more detail than HD can provide, so there is every chance we will see glimmers of more hide detail, etc here and there. But it's a turkey shoot once you take shutter speed / angle / motion within frame / blur / scope, etc into account, and, yeah, how they "enhance" it.
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Proceeding under the assumption that a Blu Ray release of Raiders would in fact reveal some previously unseen detail on any of Indy's "goin' diggin'" gear, I think the only people who might be affected by this would be the so-called "stitch Nazis"--people who obsess over every little detail. For the rest of us, who I believe are in the majority, such revelations might hold some level of fascination or interest, but probably not enough for us to discard or disregard our currently beloved gear.

No offense intended towards those members who are diligent in their quest for perfection. I admire that kind of tenacity; I'm just not that guy.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

huh..?

they already released Indy on bluray

I don't think bluray is all that worth an upgrade
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

They're talking about Raiders on blu-ray. Not Crystal Skull. It is stated on the very first post.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

yeah... just thought they had already released ROTA on bluray

oh well