Hat Sizing

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Hat Sizing

Post by AnubisScales »

A quick question, for you experts out there.

My Fed IV Dlx is a size 59. It's a little tight, to the point of when I have it pulled down where I want it, it causes anything from a red mark on my forehead to a headache that steadily grows with the amount of time I wear the hat.

I wonder if there's something I can do to get it to stretch a little, without sending it off to do so or reblocking it. Can I steam it a little and just wear it until it dries?

Also, when I eventually order a Black AB, should I go for a size 60?

Thanks in advance, as you guys always have answers for me.

-Anubis
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Your best bet is to invest in a hat stretcher and use that to loosen up the hat just a pinch. You can also keep it in the hat when not in use so it keeps to that size. If you google "hat stretcher" you should find a number of places that sell them.

As for your next Akubra, I would go up to a 60 if the 59 is too tight on you. That way, when the sweatband shrinks with some wear, it should size itself perfectly instead of cutting off the circulation. ;-)
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

Hello,

I subscribe to the stretcher idea. They are inexpensive, and if your hat is just a little tight, stretching it will provide you a better fit than acquiring a larger size, that will be a little loose and you will have to stuff for it to fit.

Regards!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Don't worry about the Ab. Just give him your head measurements not your hat size. They are custom made to fit.
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Thanks everyone! I'll be looking into one soon. :)