indy g idol grab

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

indy g idol grab

Post by Indiana G »

i just wanted to share my latest and greatest build. i blocked this hat body 3 times until i was happy with it..(the second one being a water block)..and burnt myself with steam in the process
:cry:

the rest of the construction was not exactly 'smooth sailing' (considering the various holes in my fingers :lol: ) but each step of building the hat was nothing less than perfection........for me and my limited skills that is. the sweat and stitching was put in evenly and consistently with straight tight double-backed stitching. also, the installation of the bow/ribbon was a personal victory as i had yet to do one that gave me this much gratification.

the hat was constructed and then all that was left to do was the bash........i put in the idol grab creases with the shallow side dents and put in just the slightest of taper. i used these pics as a guide:

and

this hat was extremely difficult to bash and to mate to my facial features. perhaps it was the shallow side dents that i wasn't use to as i have been accustomed to the side dents straightening/flaring out the crown. the brim seemed limp and lifeless.......all this work to get me a STOCK HJ :shock: :lol:

with some elbow grease and mr. kettle, i got her back to where i thought was the most flattering for me and as close to the temple hat as i can get it. now hopefully over time as i kick the crud out of this hat....she'll turn into a nice SOC hat for me.

Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

That looks quite good, very SA... Your hard work payed off in the end!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I'd say the hat turned out quite well. Good work. I think its just about time to open up Indiana G's Hats Ltd. 8)

Dave
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

wow very nice,especially the bow,looks awesome. I'm impressedwith the talents of our members in hat making. well done. :)
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

Looks nice. Is the rear of the brim downturned or upturned? It looks more downturned to me. I've always liked this bash the most, and I think it's because of the downward turn. One of these days (16 months and waiting) my AB should be arriving with this bash. Nice job!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

thanks gents....this is my best hat yet. i didn't think i could make the last one better, but i did indeed learn that my skills have a lot of room for development :)
jedidentist wrote:Looks nice. Is the rear of the brim downturned or upturned? It looks more downturned to me. I've always liked this bash the most, and I think it's because of the downward turn. One of these days (16 months and waiting) my AB should be arriving with this bash. Nice job!
the rear brim is flanged with a curl. this hat is less 'characterized' and so to give me the more 'hooded' brim, i pushed the the rear down flatter (but still kept the curl).
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

That really turned out well.....Looks GREAT!!!
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

That brim is perfect!

Great job!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Your skills are increasing (accelerating, really) at a rate well beyond what some might consider "normal", my friend...
Whatever you're doing in your life that's contributing to this... please allow me to say:
"Carry on, sir... as you were..."
:)
Seriously though, G...
Every time I see your stuff I think two things:
1. Just HOW quickly can a person get THIS good at making a hat?
2. Just HOW soon am I gonna own my own "GIG" Fedora? ("G's Idol Grab)
;-)
Your friend (and a bigger Fan every day),
Mitch
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Wow, that brim looks just like the Raiders photos. Truly impressive work.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

you know I was thinking if they make an Indy V think of the competion for the rights to the making of the hat, especially if Steve is retiring and Mark takes a pass. You have Indiana G and Bending Oak and they both are becomming experts at their crafts,can you imagine if all four hook up,what an empire. Good luck guys and keep up the good work. :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

jacksdad wrote:you know I was thinking if they make an Indy V think of the competion for the rights to the making of the hat, especially if Steve is retiring and Mark takes a pass. You have Indiana G and Bending Oak and they both are becomming experts at their crafts,can you imagine if all four hook up,what an empire. Good luck guys and keep up the good work. :)
i couldn't hold a candle to mr. oak in all honesty....based on what i've seen here. i'd love to own one of his creations one day or at least handle one.

that'd be really cool if indy v comes out and if penman hats gets the nod. i'd love to help oak out on it if he needs it........of course we'd be bickering about block shapes all the time and he'd fire me for spending too much time with tony nowak in regards to the jacket :lol:

now that would be a funny turn of events :)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Stellar work, G! Loving that brim!!!

Shane
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indiana G wrote:........of course we'd be bickering about block shapes all the time and he'd fire me for spending too much time with tony nowak in regards to the jacket :)
Hmmm... I dunno... SOMETHING tells me that if Fortune & Glory presented you both with THAT kind of opportunity, you two would find SOME way to put aside any differences either of you might have (today, tomorrow OR in the future) for the sake of the greater good of the Indy Fedora.
;-)
Just a hunch, but I'm pretty sure I'm on target!
:)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Very nice work, IG! Really impressive as the bash and brim looks spot on.

Let's have a shot of the bow!
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

I LOVE IT! I think you have a great talent man! Good thing we are kindred spirits aye...lol

Keep up the great work

Ohio
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

I can only say one thing my friend:

:notworthy:

-Alfonso
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

crismans wrote:Very nice work, IG! Really impressive as the bash and brim looks spot on.

Let's have a shot of the bow!

though i'm not a pro......i am quite satisfied with how my ribbon work has developed.

cheers all and thanks for the kind words,

G
AnubisScales
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by AnubisScales »

Well done indeed, Indy G. :)
tucolino
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tucolino »

wow,g,amazing job.if you were looking for sa,you nailed it.

:notworthy:

what an amazing time,folks.we got such an amouunt of variety....
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

...and so it begins...

Or should I say "...and so our story continues..."

:lol:

Excellent work G! That brim looks spot on, and the blocking is surprisingly NOT done by Fedora or Marc? My hat's off to you! Well, as soon as you send me one, that is... ;-) :P :notworthy:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

That looks VERY SA. Nice job!

Nibs
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Nice bow work! I'm the farthest thing from a hatter alive but it's my understanding that getting that Indy bow just right is a craft in itself.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Amazing, uncanny resemblance to the screenshots, I took a double take when you said you constructed it. I expected to read that you rebashed an Adventurebilt or a Magnoli HJ. :tup: :tup:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Awesome work, G! I ended up spending all evening putting more turn on my Henry and rebashing, with your pics. Really terrific work, I'm still working on my block, but hope to crank out a couple of hats for Christmas. Thanks for the inspiration.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Looks great, G. But I reckon the front is too high. Lower the centre dent a bit more at the front and I think you'll even out the top arc of the crown when viewed from the side.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Satipo wrote:Looks great, G. But I reckon the front is too high. Lower the centre dent a bit more at the front and I think you'll even out the top arc of the crown when viewed from the side.
very good eye my friend :) that's exactly what i was doing last night when i was putting in some further adjustments.

i won't get the wicked camel humps that you see.....it's somewhere between the actual screen grabs and the exaggerated marshmellow hattiness that i have seen on characterized raiders feds on some of my olders hats. there's only so much i can do with the roof of my block :cry:
Indiana Hutch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Hutch »

Very nice work sir! I actually bashed my fed to look like the IG scene, I thought I was the only one that liked that type of style in a Raiders hat. I'm not alone! :)
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

A little too SA... :-k Might have to confiscate it.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

The channel in the front dent is trying to be there G! Image Also on the one you sent to Holt. Image This is what 360 stovepipes do! ;-) Hat blocks with front and back taper- Not so much, and no one around here is getting enough channel, to match the Raiders hat. (Almost no one.. I suppliment the 360 stovepipe with some ribbon tightening.)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Hutch wrote:Very nice work sir! I actually bashed my fed to look like the IG scene, I thought I was the only one that liked that type of style in a Raiders hat. I'm not alone! :)
Not alone at all. The IG scene is my favorite hat.
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

Great looking hat! I love the bash in this scene. One question though, does it have 'the turn'? It looks like it does, but my eye is still in training. :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana Venkman wrote:Great looking hat! I love the bash in this scene. One question though, does it have 'the turn'? It looks like it does, but my eye is still in training. :)
yes sir. you can tell by where the bow sits and the uneven brim ;-)
Indiana Venkman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Venkman »

I thought so. I just wasn't 100% positive. You did a great job on the bash and the brim, a dead ringer for sure.