The most SA wested raiders jacket since the film!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

:o

it's a beautiful thing.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Looks Very Fine.........you mentioned back was 25 in ...what is your size and what is storm flap length...ie are front and back length the same ?? ..looking forward to how it looks on you outside from front, back and sides......WELL DONE !!.......Hatch
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Very nice!!!
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Sooo, if someone were to call Peter today and want a jacket with those specs what would they have to ask for?
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

I just called and spoke to Peter and he says that Holt's jacket was just a thinner grade of the same goat that they usually use. It's just a tad bit thinner and all matched throughout. But it's the "Authentic Goat" that they have on their site, just thinner.

They do get thinner material in, every now and then, but it's held aside and placed "in the back", because it's not what they commonly use. It's seen as a defect. So he's not sure how much of it he's gonna' have for multiple orders.

He also says that the jacket was a pain in the MOD edit :lol: Which I don't doubt, but I said to him to expect a call for that same pain in the MOD edit ,quite a bit from now on.

At least made to those specs, if not the thinner material.

I can't wait for mine. Mine is pretty close to those specs, but without that size collar and with satin sleeves. But I did ask for goat in a slightly lighter shade. He's tracking it down and hasn't cut it yet.

They're also EXTREMELY busy, with all the holiday orders.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Thanks E6. Interesting information. So this may truly be a limited edition.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Well, he says he does get that thinner goat in just about every shipment. He said that they get each shipment of hides in, they sort through it all, once it shows up and they toss aside all the thin stuff. They DO get a thinner goat pretty regularly, but it's not in bulk and they have to sort through a TON of other hides, to just find enough to make one jacket.

I'm happy with their regular thickness of goat, myself. The leather Holt has is apparently the same thickness as their lambskin hide.

I wanna' see Holt's jacket ON him. :)

whipcracker wrote:Okay now, really, how much did it cost? I know this might be an unpolite question but I know that there are many of us who would really like to know.
Probably about $700.00 less than a Nowak Indy1. :lol:
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Well Holt, congratulation on this beautiful jacket !!!
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Wow, one of that would be the perfect christmas present I could get for myself. :shock:
Holt, your jacket looks darn nice, and it's spot on if you ask me. I would be more than just interested to order one from Wested. Great work!

best regards,
Lukas
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

I
EchoSix wrote:Well, he says he does get that thinner goat in just about every shipment. He said that they get each shipment of hides in, they sort through it all, once it shows up and they toss aside all the thin stuff. They DO get a thinner goat pretty regularly, but it's not in bulk and they have to sort through a TON of other hides, to just find enough to make one jacket.

I'm happy with their regular thickness of goat, myself. The leather Holt has is apparently the same thickness as their lambskin hide.

I wanna' see Holt's jacket ON him. :)

whipcracker wrote:Okay now, really, how much did it cost? I know this might be an unpolite question but I know that there are many of us who would really like to know.
But don't forget to factor in how many jackets he had to go through to get this one and how many hours on specs. .I think anyone who benefits from his costs owes Holt a fee for his service (grin)
Last edited by Hatch on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michigan Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Michigan Smith »

This looks perfect, addresses every issue I've had with my Wested. If Wested changes this to be the "standard" pattern (as they should), I may have to get another Wested.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

WOW :shock:

HIGH regards,

Marc
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

looks very nice.... But...... the pocket flap is still a bit to short for that pocket. But you could probably stretch that :D
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

C'MON WESTED (Peter)! Make THIS the regular pattern!
:)

You know you kinda' want to...
;-)

LOOK at HOW great that jacket turned out!
I wasn't even the LEAST bit interested in owning another Raiders jacket from ANY manufacturer (already had what was making me feel happy and satisfied... namely, my old Wested - thank you sir)...
...and NOW - thanks to Holt's meticulous observations and keen eye and YOUR amazing end product - I am quite LITERALLY putting my money together to buy this very jacket (sort of "again") provided it's what I'm seeing on Holt... providing it's THOSE dimensions and specifications!

And you know I'm not alone!
I'd bet there's 50 people here who'd place an order for THAT EXACT jacket before this month is over.

PLEASE Peter... you know it's the right thing to do...
:notworthy:

Thanks for your time.
All the Best,
Mitch
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Holt let me say that the jacket looks great. The thinner goat is quite interesting too, I would swear it was lamb if you didn't state otherwise... that makes an interesting choice indeed!!!

Now about the collar... may I ask what did you exactly ask? How longer than usual is it?

I agree with who said that these should be made standard but only concerning the collar. Many other details as many of us well know are completely personal (pockets included).
whipcracker wrote:I remeber Peter said (posted) somthing once about it was 185 BPD to do Erri's jacket (that is a great jacket erri).
Really??? I never paid that much :lol: ...but thanks for the compliment Whipcracker. It's funny that some people still talk of my jacket after months :lol: it's quite flattening, I have to say :P
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Tollan wrote:
coronado3 wrote:Yeah I think it is just his newest batch of goat.... It is much thinner than in years past.
Must be something in the grass... the goat that G&B are using this year is much thinner and softer than in previous years.... very lamb-like!!

but, HOLT, can you confirm that this is just the quality of the new batch and not a NEW OPTION? If it's just the most recent batch then we better get on Peter's case before it runs out :whip:

Hides very from batch to batch, from year to year, for a whole number of different reasons. With that in mind, sometimes you get a jacket that is so "right" that you're just done. Great jacket. Nicest Wested I've seen yet (as far as I can tell through pictures).
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

guys..I will answer as soon as I can..there are alot questions here...

so stay tuned..I just need to finish my shift and eat ;-)
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Didn't KT Templar mention something a while back about the hides being shaved to what ever thickness you want? :-k
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

conceited_ape wrote:Didn't KT Templar mention something a while back about the hides being shaved to what ever thickness you want? :-k
Not quite what I was talking about. This is at the wholesale level, not for us as a consumer! :). When people buy leather in big amounts from the tannery they can specify a weight/thickness and the reverse side can be shaved down to accommodate. Within any batch there will be variances as this is a natural product.

Sounds like they sometimes get a few extra thin skins.

I've felt that the current goat is quite thin compared to say 2 years ago and is comparable with their lamb in thickness. It just has that extra 'snap' that goat has, a little like linen compared to flannel!
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Ah, sweet. Thanks for clarifying! :tup:
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

EchoSix wrote:
Please don't forget, only shrunken lamb is $1000, all others are $700 shipped, so it's about $400 less than the cheapest Nowak Indy1 :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I can shave down your jackets! Who's first?

:lol:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Baldwyn wrote:
EchoSix wrote:
Please don't forget, only shrunken lamb is $1000, all others are $700 shipped, so it's about $400 less than the cheapest Nowak Indy1 :)
depending on exchange rate could be more like $350
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

With the way the pound is tanking more like 400! and the shrunken lamb definitley 700.

Todays rate Holt's jacket with shipping is $301.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Baldwyn wrote:
Please don't forget, only shrunken lamb is $1000...

All those poor, tiny, little, shrunken lambs. :(

:mrgreen:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Hatch wrote:Looks Very Fine.........you mentioned back was 25 in ...what is your size and what is storm flap length...ie are front and back length the same ?? ..looking forward to how it looks on you outside from front, back and sides......WELL DONE !!.......Hatch
I added 1/2 inches to the front..I didnt know that the original jacket had the same length front and back...this was until Tony's jacket..

I ordered way before Tony came with Chris kins jacket
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

EchoSix wrote:I just called and spoke to Peter and he says that Holt's jacket was just a thinner grade of the same goat that they usually use. It's just a tad bit thinner and all matched throughout. But it's the "Authentic Goat" that they have on their site, just thinner.

They do get thinner material in, every now and then, but it's held aside and placed "in the back", because it's not what they commonly use. It's seen as a defect. So he's not sure how much of it he's gonna' have for multiple orders.

He also says that the jacket was a pain in the MOD edit :lol: Which I don't doubt, but I said to him to expect a call for that same pain in the MOD edit quite a bit from now on.

At least made to those specs, if not the thinner material.

I can't wait for mine. Mine is pretty close to those specs, but without that size collar and with satin sleeves. But I did ask for goat in a slightly lighter shade. He's tracking it down and hasn't cut it yet.

They're also EXTREMELY busy, with all the holiday orders.
I doubt that your jacket will be close to my specs.not because I dont want it to be...but I think becuz of the whole pattern for the jacket. it was a little different from the standard.thats why it was such a pain doing the jacket..

but after looking at the jacket,feeling it.trying it on..I am very sure that this is the 80's cut...if they only kept the pattern from the movie 30 years ago..then I am sure then this jacket would be close to their standard pattern if they kept it...but again..30 years is some time...I cant blame Peter not for saving the specs..who would think that the Indy jacket would be a multi million ''thing'' today..right?

but back to 80's cut...this jacket has something that the filmjacket had,I think that this is the collar, fuller front shouldes and more narrow chest....this jacket does the demon roll on the right zipper side with no problem...and it stays like that all the time..just like the film jacket..

I have yet to see this on the standard jacket from wested..

but not to knock down on your jacket that you wait for..I am sure it will Rock!! cant wait to see the pictures. :)

but to let you get an idea of what was changed...

collar.
yolk.
rear arm seam.
straps.
storm flap.
shoulders.
chest.
sleeves.
waist.
back panel.
pocket placement.
backlength.

so you see that the specs are different from what both Peter and we are used too...they are used to the agent5 specs..which are very close of course..but this is just the little drop extra that makes it more complcated to make...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Holt, what are you waiting for? More pics, please! :)
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I was trying to stop buying jackets, and have done well but now I might have to get this one, this might be my end all jacket too.it looks so awesome and I would get it in horsehide though, cause I think it would be the best leather for me. Great job Holt and I hope Peter lets others get his jacket as well. :) :)
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Yeah, you know what... My jacket specs are closer to Agent 5's... That's right. You're right about that.

What's the demon roll you're talking about?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Thanks jason for your kind words.

it means alot about what you think of the jacket..since you agree with me on the collar n'all

I will take some more pictures now..but unforunate they will be inside bad quality pic like before..

demon roll is this Echo. see that curl on the zipper.

Last edited by Holt on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm so bad. :cry:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

huh?

why?
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

heck, might as well sticky this one, sheesh it's perpetually at the top anyhow... :lol: :notworthy:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

they are used to the agent5 specs..which are very close of course..but
My jacket specs are closer to Agent 5's... That's right. You're right about that.
I did a horrible job. :(

I'm kidding, of course. I'm up for anything that will make any improvements anywhere. :notworthy:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

jacksdad wrote:I was trying to stop buying jackets, and have done well but now I might have to get this one, this might be my end all jacket too.it looks so awesome and I would get it in horsehide though, cause I think it would be the best leather for me. Great job Holt and I hope Peter lets others get his jacket as well. :) :)
These jackets are like computers: every time you think you're set, it's time to upgrade. :shock:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here are some more pictures of it.this time on me.

I know.the quality of the pics are bad.I will get some outside shots of it very soon,I promise..

Edit
Last edited by Holt on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

The pocket height-from-hem looks closer to a Last Crusade than Raiders...? :-k
It certainly is the best fitting jacket I've seen on you though Holt. And we've seen a few by now!
Back panel looks most Raiders-ish!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the pockets are placed 2'' from hem,thats perfect.thats how I wanted it.

the pockets on the LC are placed 2.75'' from hem.trust me.I know.I have measured.digitaly ;-)

I think there is a connection about why the back panel looks kinda raider ish...dont you think? :lol:
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Nice! :)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

1) her is that yolk height detail I keep talking about.see how spot on it is...

2) the backpanel is lined up with the yolk just like the orginal.

3) see how the top if the pleat is hidden under the backpanel.again..just like the original..

even the leather pulls itself in the same way as in that picture when leaning like Ford..

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g182/ ... olk2-1.jpg
Last edited by Holt on Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I am speechless :) :-#

Nibs
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanks!

:)
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

God am I jealous! That's such a sweeeet jacket!

So how do I get one?
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

That is a VERY nice looking jacket. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Was this jacket such a pain for Peter to make that he wouldn't consider just using the pattern as a standard for all of his Raiders jackets?

I wouldn't mind having one myself. ;-)
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Holt, nice jacket. Congrats.

Two things.

1. Can you post a photo with you wearing the jacket zipped all the way up? I want to see how big is the neck opening of the jacket compared to your neck.

2. How did you specify the 'larger collar' exactly? What was the wording you used?

Thanks
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Exactly what I would like to know too.

8)
PETER
Vendor

Post by PETER »

Firstly let me congratulate Holt on his jacket, and my releif.
With regards to the Goatskin I am being misquoted.
For some time now the goatskin has been made by the same tannery who
makes by lambskinwith a view to it being as close as possible in weight,thickness and handle as the lamb.
In each bale of skins there are always some lighter weight than others and a good cutter will match like with like. In Holts case he asked for the lighter weight although the differences are negligable.
The lighter wieght skins are NOT defects and jackets are regularly cut from them. The only problem with Holts case was that having raised the back yoke we struggled to get the back panel out of the skins as the lighter skins are smaller in size.
We do have some of the old heavier goat but unless asked otherwise we
are using the new soft handle skins.
As for Holts specs although I have them they are private to him unless he says otherwise.
Cheers
Peter

PS Some of the new ROLA's left today but we are backlogged on washed goat.
Last edited by PETER on Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thank you Peter for this awesome jacket.

I sent you an email.

please take alook at it when you have the time.

bests
Eric
coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

I'm sorry for sounding like an english teacher, but isn't it spelled Y-O-K-E and not Y-O-L-K in this case???? I wasn't sure myself! :-k :oops: