Tony Nowak Indy I #666/888

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Tony Nowak Indy I #666/888

Post by indyrocks »

Got the phone call from Tony and according to FedEx I will have jacket number 666/888 in my hands by 3PM today.

I asked for an exact copy of the Hawaii jacket with NO specs other than sizing. Now, mine is in the flat/matte lamb, not the shrunken lamb. So it will be interesting to compare.

Pics will be up as soon as I've got it. :whip:
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Exciting - we want pics, we want pics, we want pics!!!
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

It was just delivered here at work. I'm going to try and get a few shots in during lunch. :lol:
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Okay so here are some quick pics of the jacket. My first impression is that I absolutley love it. I love the color, love the fit, and love how well made it is. It's the best jacket, let alone Indy jacket, I've ever handled, period.

Now I know everyone is going to go nuts about the details and why it's like this if I asked for an exact copy so have at it! All I know is I love it and I wouldn't change a thing. The BEST thing about it is how it falls off your shoulders, I will post more pics of me wearing it to show this more. The yoke is high, with the sleeve seam beneathe the yoke line. K-stitches on the straps. Again, I requested nothing specific.

PS-I KNOW the sleeves look a bit long, we went for extra length to be safe because I have really long arms. I may or may not have Tony take some off, we'll see.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... /indy2.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... /indy1.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... /indy5.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... /indy3.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... /indy4.jpg
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Looks good just out of the box....those sleeves should shorten up a little with a little water and bending at the elbow.......looking forward to what it looks like outside.....look forward to Indy G's opinion....it'll only get better with wearing..... LOVE the smile on your face in the first pic....Hatch
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

From the back the jacket looks really big on you.

Seems like nice texture to the leather although the color appears to be lighter than the shrunken lamb.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Hatch wrote:Looks good just out of the box....those sleeves should shorten up a little with a little water and bending at the elbow.......looking forward to what it looks like outside.....look forward to Indy G's opinion....it'll only get better with wearing..... LOVE the smile on your face in the first pic....Hatch
Yup, this is me right about now :mrgreen: :mrgreen: With all my co-workers laughing at me and thinking I'm "nerdy" (although I'm better dressed than 80% of them and now I've got this stylish new jacket)
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Raider S wrote:From the back the jacket looks really big on you.

Seems like nice texture to the leather although the color appears to be lighter than the shrunken lamb.
It's actually pretty snug in the chest. I don't know how it SHOULD look but I like the fit a lot. Reminds me of the spider scene in the temple, it's pretty big looking in that shot when HF turns to brush off the tarantulas.

The leather has a beautifully soft texture. I like the color a lot. It actually looks more TOD-ish to me. I wanted something lighter in any case.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Yeah, that's a nice jacket... You look like one happy camper :) - gratz!
Harry Steele
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Harry Steele »

Very nice jacket.

The fit looks good to me. The back panel might look too large because, I assume, you haven't zipped up the jacket for that pic. Shoulders look good, and panel under arm looks trim.

Wear it in good health and on great adventures.

Cheers,
Harry
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

pics are funny aren't they? that's why you can't rely on screen grabs or even what you see on the big screen :lol:

the front view looks spot on but the back is giving off the illusion that its too big......what does that mean? it means that if indyrocks likes the fit, then the fit is right :)

congrats on that beautiful jacket, and like hatch says, give the sleeves some time to bunch up and wrinkle. if it still too long, a good leather tailor can make short work of that.

your hide was actually my first on choice for a second TN1......but then indiana williams ruined it for my by buying my first one :P :lol: how would you say the lamb feels as compared to wested's usual lamb?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

PS-I KNOW the sleeves look a bit long, we went for extra length to be safe because I have really long arms. I may or may not have Tony take some off, we'll see.
Definitely wear it for a bit before doing that. You may be surprised how much will ride up into the elbows and upper arms with wear.

VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Michaelson wrote:
Definitely wear it for a bit before doing that. You may be surprised how much will ride up into the elbows and upper arms with wear.

VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson
I agree with you Michaelson but wanted to add one more thing. I would contact Tony himself and see if thats a good idea. I don't think it's a good idea to wait to let a vender know that you might have a issue. Contact him and let him know your concerns and that if he thinks its a good idea ( and it's ok with him) if you wear it for a few days to see if this is a issue or not.

I know for myself i would like contact as soon as possible for any concerns.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Indiana G wrote:pics are funny aren't they? that's why you can't rely on screen grabs or even what you see on the big screen :lol:

the front view looks spot on but the back is giving off the illusion that its too big......what does that mean? it means that if indyrocks likes the fit, then the fit is right :)

congrats on that beautiful jacket, and like hatch says, give the sleeves some time to bunch up and wrinkle. if it still too long, a good leather tailor can make short work of that.

your hide was actually my first on choice for a second TN1......but then indiana williams ruined it for my by buying my first one :P :lol: how would you say the lamb feels as compared to wested's usual lamb?
G you make a great point. That pic of my back is more or less an illusion. I'll take some later on of it zipped up. It actually is a quite fitted cut. As we've learned, one of the secrets of this jacket is how it "tries" to fall off your shoulders. That's what's happening in that pic and is what is giving the illusion that it's too big in the back. Or at least that's my assessment, we'll see what you guys think when I post some more later on.

As far as the hide goes, it's softer than ANYTHING else I've had. Even more than Wested's newer lambs which have been quite soft. Now, it's also DURABLE. It's not cheap or too thin, and has a decent weight to it as well. It's almost deceiving. Tony sent me a sample swatch to play with for distressing purposes to help me understand how the leather ages and reacts to different things. It's simply a rich hide. I LOVE the color and actually think I see shades of it in certain scenes in all 3 movies. For me, this is the ultimate Indy jacket. I will never buy another, unless it's shrunken lamb if I have the money before Tony runs out.

Thanks for the kind words friends,
Cheers!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indyrocks, thanks for the pics, I've been anxiously awaiting them! The leather looks great, and I think the fit is perfect. Congrats! Now your avatar is even more appropriate :lol:
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

BendingOak wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson
I agree with you Michaelson but wanted to add one more thing. I would contact Tony himself and see if thats a good idea. I don't think it's a good idea to wait to let a vender know that you might have a issue. Contact him and let him know your concerns and that if he thinks its a good idea ( and it's ok with him) if you wear it for a few days to see if this is a issue or not.

No reason to worry or be in a rush, when I spoke with him when he called over Thanksgiving I mentioned I might eventually want a 1/2 inch off my sleeves , he said "NO PROBLEM, LET ME KNOW LATER ....NO CHARGE" ...that's the kind of guy he is........Hatch
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Baldwyn wrote:Indyrocks, thanks for the pics, I've been anxiously awaiting them! The leather looks great, and I think the fit is perfect. Congrats! Now your avatar is even more appropriate :lol:
ha ha! i didn't even catch that baldwyn......nice!

must be too early for me still........and i think michaelson snatched my coffee while i was napping under the plymouth :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Who? Me? :[

To cold under there anyway, so get up and have a cup! ;-)

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Hatch wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson

No reason to worry or be in a rush, when I spoke with him when he called over Thanksgiving I mentioned I might eventually want a 1/2 inch off my sleeves , he said "NO PROBLEM, LET ME KNOW LATER ....NO CHARGE" ...that's the kind of guy he is........Hatch

I'm sure he liked being contacted and informed then. rather than waiting a few weeks to tell him.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Baldwyn wrote:Indyrocks, thanks for the pics, I've been anxiously awaiting them! The leather looks great, and I think the fit is perfect. Congrats! Now your avatar is even more appropriate :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I know, I know. I figured why not? Tony got a kick out of it too. He said "ahhh the devil huh? ok ok..."
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

BendingOak wrote:
Hatch wrote:
BendingOak wrote:
Michaelson wrote:

VERY nice jacket!

Regard! Michaelson

No reason to worry or be in a rush, when I spoke with him when he called over Thanksgiving I mentioned I might eventually want a 1/2 inch off my sleeves , he said "NO PROBLEM, LET ME KNOW LATER ....NO CHARGE" ...that's the kind of guy he is........H

I'm sure he liked being contacted and informed then. rather than waiting a few weeks to tell him.
No , you misread, he called me and jacket is at least 6 weeks along in my possesion....but I can certainly see how with a hat fit earlier makes sense......Hatch
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Has anyone experienced the sleeve ride up with the TN jackets made from this leather? Depending on the level of distressing, some jackets cannot hold the creases. They are too soft. The KOTCS jacketwould wrinkle nicely, but it did not seem to hold the folds once Ford straightened his arms. You could clearly see indications that the jacket was wrinkling, but the actual wrinkles are not really present. I am just wondering if the Raiders jackets from Tony are the same way.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Hmmm... I'll have to look at mine when I get home, Rick, though they have ridden up a little with wear since I got my shrunken lamb. indyrocks, you look as happy as a kid in a candy shop! :lol: It looks great on you. Enjoy it! ;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

rick5150 wrote:Has anyone experienced the sleeve ride up with the TN jackets made from this leather? Depending on the level of distressing, some jackets cannot hold the creases. They are too soft. The KOTCS jacketwould wrinkle nicely, but it did not seem to hold the folds once Ford straightened his arms. You could clearly see indications that the jacket was wrinkling, but the actual wrinkles are not really present. I am just wondering if the Raiders jackets from Tony are the same way.
i believe the CS cowhide is too heavy to hold wrinkles up on itself. to me, the screen CS jackets looked a little less beefy which is why they did wrinkle a hair more than mine. i'm assuming that there was less 'real world' enforcements put in on the production jackets.

i recall reading that earlier on in the game, tony went crazy brining these CS jackets to the public because they had to surpass a timeline for shooting a movie (ie - last a lifetime)....that's when he coined his phrase, "when you get it, be sure to beat the living #### out of it". :lol:
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Congratulations on your new Nowak, indyrocks. Im glad to see these jackets in the other leathers that Tony has. The fit looks great and Im sure you are going to be enjoying that jacket for many years to come.
Best Regards,
Joe
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

That last pic of the sidestraps shows a pattern (where the x-box stitching would be on a Wested) that is on Todd's jackets. It looks like a "k". I wonder if that was on a production jacket Tony copied or if he borrowed that from Todd?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

it looks like big tony is using my spec......that i took from my todd's custom ;-)

this is one of the questions that i posted for asiana jones in the other thread btw.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Indiana G wrote:it looks like big tony is using my spec......that i took from my todd's custom ;-)

this is one of the questions that i posted for asiana jones in the other thread btw.
Yeah I'm curious about these questions as well. Obviously my jacket is not the same as Slydni's in regards to certain details. Either way, as stated above I'm all about the feel and look not the k-stitch or the pocket shape or the yoke seam lining up with the sleeve blah blah blah. (No offense of course to the SA nuts! :[ )
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Indyrocks,as has been stated before "that will shape to your body like a "black spidey suit".......bet you won't want to take it off for the next three days......Hatch
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

indyrocks wrote:
Indiana G wrote:it looks like big tony is using my spec......that i took from my todd's custom ;-)

Yeah I'm curious about these questions as well. Obviously my jacket is not the same as Slydni's in regards to certain details. Either way, as stated above I'm all about the feel and look not the k-stitch or the pocket shape or the yoke seam lining up with the sleeve blah blah blah. (No offense of course to the SA nuts! :[ )
hey holt.....he's making fun of you............

:Plymouth:
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Hatch wrote:Indyrocks,as has been stated before "that will shape to your body like a "black spidey suit".......bet you won't want to take it off for the next three days......Hatch

Yeah it's beginning to already. I don't know if it's the construction, hide quality, or a combo, but this is really the best jacket I've owned. Totally worth the price I paid. I bet I could totally take on Spiderman while wearing it....
Last edited by indyrocks on Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Indiana G wrote:I believe the CS cowhide is too heavy to hold wrinkles up on itself.
It is not the (ounce) weight of the leather. I have plenty of heavy cowhide and horsehide jackets that you can hang on a hanger and you would still swear that there is a torso and arms in them. Take that same jacket and run it through a washing machine a few times and sandblast the heck out of it and it becomes limp as a dishrag.

I own one of the screen worn Lethal Weapon 4 jackets that Mel Gibson wore - and if I put it on a scale, it is pretty heavy, but it is also the best example I have of a limp jacket. That's is what I am seeing in some of these hides.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

rick5150 wrote:
Indiana G wrote:I believe the CS cowhide is too heavy to hold wrinkles up on itself.
It is not the (ounce) weight of the leather. I have plenty of heavy cowhide and horsehide jackets that you can hang on a hanger and you would still swear that there is a torso and arms in them. Take that same jacket and run it through a washing machine a few times and sandblast the heck out of it and it becomes limp as a dishrag.

I own one of the screen worn Lethal Weapon 4 jackets that Mel Gibson wore - and if I put it on a scale, it is pretty heavy, but it is also the best example I have of a limp jacket. That's is what I am seeing in some of these hides.
too thick then?
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

indyrocks wrote:

I'm in total agreement. Mine has the K-stitch too and I wondered (for about 2 seconds) if the one that Tony examined had it. I haven't thought about it since. I bought mine strictly for the look and feel (well that and I think Tony's a great guy). I've worn mine nonstop since I got it almost 2 weeks ago. That happens with all new purchases with me. I'm about to go back to some of my "old faithful's" (G&B) though.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

As far a sleeves go I thought my Indy IV sleeves were to long but after a bit of wear they are the perfect lenght.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

rick5150 wrote:Has anyone experienced the sleeve ride up with the TN jackets made from this leather? Depending on the level of distressing, some jackets cannot hold the creases. They are too soft. The KOTCS jacketwould wrinkle nicely, but it did not seem to hold the folds once Ford straightened his arms. You could clearly see indications that the jacket was wrinkling, but the actual wrinkles are not really present. I am just wondering if the Raiders jackets from Tony are the same way.
Rick, I honestly don't think Ford wore any single jacket for any length of time to get significant wrinkles in the sleeves. Just look at the pre-production footage and check out the number of extra jackets hanging in the photos.

Regard! Michaelson
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Michaelson wrote:
Rick, I honestly don't think Ford wore any single jacket for any length of time to get significant wrinkles in the sleeves. Just look at the pre-production footage and check out the number of extra jackets hanging in the photos.

Regard! Michaelson
That's an interesting point. Any wrinkles were probably due to getting the jacket wet and the distressing methods they used, one would think. :-k
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Indiana G wrote:
indyrocks wrote:

hey holt.....he's making fun of you............

:Plymouth:
Hey G, why don't you arrange "A TEXAS STEEL CAGE DEATH MATCH" between indyrocks new TN and Holt's new Wested.........Doc
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

not if he's using what was on the jacket he copied as this one is supposed to be.

it means your spec and the Todd jacket are the same as the movie jacket.
Last edited by RCSignals on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Dr.J:
That last pic of the sidestraps shows a pattern (where the x-box stitching would be on a Wested) that is on Todd's jackets. It looks like a "k". I wonder if that was on a production jacket Tony copied or if he borrowed that from Todd?
IndyRocks:
I asked for an exact copy of the Hawaii jacket with NO specs other than sizing.
G:
it looks like big tony is using my spec......that i took from my todd's custom
So, which is it then? Did Tony give IR exactly what he asked for, an exact copy of the jacket or did he use specs given to him by another member off another vendors jacket?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

indyrocks the jacket looks fantastic. Wear it a good while before you decide to have the sleeves shortened. You may not need to have it done.

Seeing your jacket reinforces how much I want to order one of these. I will probably go witht eh shrunken lamb though.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

agent5 wrote:Dr.J:
IndyRocks:
I asked for an exact copy of the Hawaii jacket with NO specs other than sizing.
G:
it looks like big tony is using my spec......that i took from my todd's custom
So, which is it then? Did Tony give IR exactly what he asked for, an exact copy of the jacket or did he use specs given to him by another member off another vendors jacket?

You know A5, I was wondering this too. It's just out of curiosity though. I love the jacket and won't go sending it back if I find out it's based on some other specs BUT, I will say this. He told me very precisely more than once that I would be getting EXACTLY what he had in his hands. Now if Slydni asked for the same thing it does seem a bit odd that there are differences in pocket shape and yoke seam etc. Tony will fiercly defend that I got the exact copy and honestly I'm not worried about it myself. I will leave it up to you dudes to call him and interrogate him.

It was also posted somewhere that Tony confirmed the k-stitch. I think that was in the "message to fans thread from Tony"
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

As long as you're happy with it then it's all good. I would just like to know whats what on the specs tho.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

indyrocks wrote:
You know A5, I was wondering this too. It's just out of curiosity though. I love the jacket and won't go sending it back if I find out it's based on some other specs BUT, I will say this. He told me very precisely more than once that I would be getting EXACTLY what he had in his hands. Now if Slydni asked for the same thing it does seem a bit odd that there are differences in pocket shape and yoke seam etc. Tony will fiercly defend that I got the exact copy and honestly I'm not worried about it myself. I will leave it up to you dudes to call him and interrogate him.

It was also posted somewhere that Tony confirmed the k-stitch. I think that was in the "message to fans thread from Tony"
I agree, I so reason to question you didn't get what you asked for.
The question might be is why is #001 different. It's already been suggested that jacket went out with some variations from the copied jacket in error.
Since every other jacket that people have asked for an exact copy (except for size) of 'THE' jacket looks like yours, it would appear the different one is #001.

Slydini's jacket is fine though, and I kind of like the shape of the flaps it has.

http://i307.photobucket.com/albums/nn28 ... G_3475.jpg

Where has Slydini been lately?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

agent5 wrote:As long as you're happy with it then it's all good. I would just like to know whats what on the specs tho.
It would be nice to know. I suggest calling him or put the question in this thread http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t ... 41311af8df (I think the question has already be posted though)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Just got to see the pictures. That's a terrific looking jacket! If I hadn't went totally nuts and went for the shrunken lamb, the matte lamb would have been my second choice. A really nice jacket.

I should have mine in the next few days and I asked for an exact copy as well. We'll see which jacket mine comes closer to.
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

So here are a few more pics. It initially felt slightly snug in the chest but I called Tony and he actually told me to beat the tick out of it and let it stretch out and that the lamb would eventually stretch and mold to my body. He said he's "got my back" and "to not baby the jacket because that's not what leather jackets are for." I have to agree.

Anyways I'd be interested to hear what you guys have to say. I seem to remember the shot of Indy in the Raven bar leaning back against the bar itself with the jacket zippered and it looked pretty snug in the chest....

When I get a chance I will take some outdoor shots.

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... G_4887.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... G_4888.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... G_4889.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/qq89 ... G_4890.jpg
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Man, based on the look on your face... YOU are one happy camper!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I agree.you are happy!

it does look alittle tightaround the chest..I see your pecs shaped pretty well in the first picture..

I believe this is shrunken lamb aswell..so it will become more limp with use..maby it will fit better after some breaking in.

but other then that it i perfect.
jacksparrow900
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jacksparrow900 »

that jacket looks like one of my wested with platon's specs