Todd's jacket help (sorry)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Todd's jacket help (sorry)

Post by Indiana Green »

Okay, I know this has been discussed a thousand times and I know Todd has posted detailed size information on his site...BUT...in all the other threads I read, I couldn't find a testimony from somebody my size. So here goes:

I'm 6 foot even, around 200 lbs, I wear a 42 suit jacket, 36 in waist in pants, and I have a fairly long torso (about 19 inches from my natural waistline to the top of my sternum/middle of my clavicle). Also, I have a close-enough jacket labeled US Large, which fits me WAY too big and is sized as follows:
chest circumference: between 49 and 50 inches
sleeve length as described by Todd: between 36 and 37 inches
back length: about 27 inches
length of storm flap: about 25 inches
waist circumference: about the same as chest, as the jacket is not tapered at all (no pleats/side straps either).

So to be precise, my current jacket is about 5 inches to long, way too roomy in the stomach and waist area, and the sleeves are about 2 or 3 inches too long. SO WHAT SIZE DO I NEED????? Keep in mind, I want a nice, snug Raiders fit, where the jacket hangs open naturally and sits just below the beltline. I REAALLY appreciate any help with this because I know this has become a redundant and frustrating issue.

Indy Green :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'd say a XL Todd's, since you are a 42. I have a 2-XL, and it is a pretty good fit, all things considered. The Back length from the bottom of the collar stand is 25 1/2, and is ample for the Raiders look.
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

I'm a size 42 also and my Todd's XL fits perfect. However, mine is from an early batch, and I've heard the sizing (length mostly) may have changed slightly. You may want to call Todd (very nice guy who's passionate about his business) and ask his opinion.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I'm at 6' about 190lbs (currently working my lbs downward). I normally wear a size large jacket or 44R/T depending on the cut and sleeve length.

I have the Standard XXL (recent batch) and it fits me great. It is a bit loose at the chest but I don't mind as I can really move around in it and even fit a hoodie underneath for warmth. I tighten the straps for a more fitted the body.

I think the XL would fit you as I believe an XL would fit me just fine.

However, the jackets are SHORT so if you don't like short jackets be warned. I reach up to grab something overhead and the hemline travels north rather easily. Sleeves are nice and long (at least on the XXL).
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

I am right there with you in just about every category. Todd's XL fits the bill.
-Ben
Indiana Green
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Green »

Awesome, thanks so much everyone. I was seriously considering a Large even though Todd came right out and said on his site that EVERY one of his returns has been for a larger size. Machone, thanks for being my size!

Indy Green
jason10mm
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by jason10mm »

I wear an XL and I am a bit smaller than you. 5'9.5", 175, and wear a 42R jacket. The XL fits me quite nice, which for me is just a little loose. The sleeves come down to the base of my thumbs, and the waist of the jacket is a bit short, only an inch or so below my belt. So you would need AT LEAST an XL, and maybe an XXL.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

You'll be surprised when you get your Standard. I received the box, and was like....there's a jacket in here?? Very light, but you'll get used to the windbreaker effect. When I took it out of the box, mine smelled like beef jerky, got hungry for a snack every time I tried it on!
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I have some questions about Todd's standard that I'll post here, for now.

Does it make for a good summer jacket? Like temperature wise it won't overheat me.

I was at the mall in one of those generic leather stores where the clerk hounds you to death to buy one so you can't even shop, but I saw a jacket that was sooooo thin and floppy I thought "wow this can't be good quality".. it looked like a leather t-shirt. But I actually kind of liked it. I liked the thinness. Is Todd's like that?

Is it fashionable too?

I'm getting a goat A-2 right now so i don't really want to get another jacket unless I can use it for something different
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Oh and also if I end up having to order XL, and being only 5'7" can I do anything about the sleeves being too long?

Does it feel like real lambskin... nice, smooth, buttery soft?
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

blueoakleyz wrote:I have some questions about Todd's standard that I'll post here, for now.

Does it make for a good summer jacket? Like temperature wise it won't overheat me.
I don't think any jacket makes for a good summer jacket, leather or otherwise. But I live in Southern California and don't reach for even a light jacket until the temperature drops below 65°F, so my opinion may not count for much. :[
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

Zombie Jones wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:I have some questions about Todd's standard that I'll post here, for now.

I don't think any jacket makes for a good summer jacket, leather or otherwise. But I live in Southern California and don't reach for even a light jacket until the temperature drops below 65°F, so my opinion may not count for much. :[
Well I live in central cali.. so it gets pretty dang hot
that's why really really thin is appealing
I never even knew people wore jackets as fashion thing until this week
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Pay a visit to Southern California some time, especially the Hollywood area. People here do all kinds of stupid things in the name of "fashion". :roll:
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I don't doubt it after seeing this:

http://www.adversus.com/fashion/mentren ... ndex9.html
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

blueoakleyz wrote:I don't doubt it after seeing this:

now THIS is Dino-hide :lol:

http://www.adversus.com/fashion/mentren ... ndex5.html
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Oof! Thankfully, most of the stuff presented at those shows are the fashion equivalent of the concept cars at the auto shows--occasionally interesting to look at, but they'll never see a production line.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

RCSignals wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:I don't doubt it after seeing this:

now THIS is Dino-hide :lol:

http://www.adversus.com/fashion/mentren ... ndex5.html
EGHADS! That is one of the most hideous things i've ever seen! :shock:
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

It should come with a dino tail hanging off the back panel.