Toning down distressing

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Toning down distressing

Post by DVD Connoisseur »

The distressing of my washed lamb Wested Indy has been a patient and subtle affair but today, while moving the bins, I thought I'd see what effect would be caused by lightly rubbing the front of the jacket against the wall. Unfortunately, the effect was to cause a single area of harsh distressing on the front of one side which looks a bit ragged. It's not a big area, about the size of a thumb-print, but it's catching my eye.

Is there any way to tone down distressing without the use of acetone (I'd struggle to find it in the UK)? I was thinking of treating the jacket to the lightest treatment of Pecards.
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

You can get Brown Pecards and give it a try. It will darken it temporarily, but will lighten over time.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Or maybe shoe polish.

BTW you can get acetone in the UK, it's the main ingredient in a lot of nail polish removers. So you can get it in chemists. If you really get the bug then go to a beauty therapists outlet store they will sell it to you by the litre bottle, they sell pure acetone without the moisturisers that nail polish remover has in it. Or see if you can chat up one of the ladies in those nail bars to decant you of a little bottle.

PS I wouldn't use acetone to try and blend in this scuff personally.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Many thanks! In future, I will be treading very carefully with any "distressing" ideas...
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Neutral(no colour) shoe polish has really worked well for me-lightly rubbed over the distressing.I recently sold a Vanson jacket I had distressed with sand-paper, but I had gone too deep in some areas.I used the neutral polish and when it was done you couldn't tell it had been distressed at all..worked on my Wested as well(almost too well-it looked pretty much new again after the polish!).
Last edited by mark seven on Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Cheers, mark seven, that's a great tip.

Here are pics of the problem area before I try fixing the error:

Area where spot is located:-

Close-up of distressed spot with cuffs for comparison (natural wear):

Will post pics "after fixing" soon!
Indiana Jo Jo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Jo Jo »

oh man, some people would pay good money to get distressing like that!

but seriously, in my opinion, that's hardly noticeable. of course it may look different in person but from where i sit, doesn't look bad at all.

if anything, a light dab of shoe polish would blend that right in.

nice jacket by the way :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I'd suggest you go with the original reply of the brown Pecards. At least that can be blended in, where if you go too heavy with the shoe polish, you'll play hob trying to even it out.

Pecards brown is NOT a dye, and was made specificially for this type situation. Start light, then add as needed to make it match the area around it. I've used it before in exactly the same situation, and it's the product for the problem shown here.

That said, if you want to play chemist, though....have fun. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Many thanks everybody! I'd placed an order for clear Pecard's as it's all that the UK supplier has for sale. Will definitely order some brown Pecard's for this jacket as it sounds a great solution.

All the best

DVDC