Conundrum of a newbie...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Indiana Tim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Conundrum of a newbie...

Post by Indiana Tim »

I'm in the market for a decent Indy bullwhip. I really loved the whip used in Crystal Skull, especially the 10 foot length. So imagine my joy to find out that the original bullwhip was made right here in my beloved home country, Australia!

However, that initial joy was diminished somewhat after reading around this place that the Jacka bullwhip is not exactly an ideal whip for a beginner. On the other hand, I hear Joe Strain made some whips for the new movie, and that these are pretty good as well, even for a beginner. They look good too, I might add.

Now, here's the conundum.

Being a university student, I don't exactly have a great deal of money. I recognise that a good bullwhip is going to cost a fair bit, even a beginners whip. At the moment, I have enough money to afford the purchase of either a Joe Strain 8 foot CS whip, or a Jacka 8 foot.

The choice gets complicated, however, when you factor in the exchange rate. After calculating the price of an 8 foot Strain at $497 USD, the price comes out at $776.63 AUD. Compared to this, an 8 foot Jacka is priced at $550 AUD, and my ultimate goal of a 10 foot CS Jacka costs $800 AUD (this is factoring in the Club Obi Wan discout Terry offer).

So, what to do? I know that a beginner should probably stay away from a 10 foot until he has mastered a shorter whip, but on the other hand, I really only want to buy one whip and have it for a long time, as my financial situation will only really allow for one whip. Along with this is the question of whether a more expensive Strain is a better investment for a newbie than a less expensive (but tougher to handle) Jacka.

Can anyone help me? Some advice?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I know you are interested in a Strain or a Jacka, but have you considered this option:

http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/whips ... e_whip.htm

$200 US, hand made at his shop of goatskin.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Ok, forgive me if I end up sounding preachy. Whips can be really expensive as you have found. You may find that they are not to your liking and splashing out a huge amount when you are studying might not be.... entirely the best way to spend your cash. I know that for many people the whip ends up a nice but expensive display piece.

Perhaps, try starting at the shallow end, previously many people would have started with the very sturdy IOAB, now we have the Purewhips 'budget Indy' which looks very nice you can also look at the Giovanni Celeste 'lil Indy'. All will give you a great start and can be resold well if you want to trade up.

JMO.

Oh my whip history is: IOAB, Pagey, Celeste and waiting on another. The Pagey is the best of those but more on the pricey side.

The purewhips @ $100-150 you can always sell on is a very sensible place to start.
Last edited by Kt Templar on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Welcome Indiana Tim!

I understand your stand point. I'm in college as well, but that didn't stop me from mowing lawns, shoveling drive ways, saving up christmas and birthday money and ending up with a total of 4 whips. :)

If it's a 10 footer you want, go with it. Just understand that you are going to have a more difficult time with it. But if you REALLY want a Jacka, save up for it. Why mess around with the cheap stuff if it's not what you want? In the long run, you'll end up spending more money necessary then had you saved up for that Jacka. Just wait for more holidays and other opportunities for you to gain more money. You aren't that far from it. Pay attention to ebay and the Cairo Bazzar (sp?) for Jackas.

Now here's my question with your goals set aside some, why 10 footer? If you go with the Jacka 8 footer, you are going to be able to handle it better. Don't worry about it looking good on the belt because if it's coiled up nicely then it'll look fine. Besides, how often are you really going to be walking around with the whip on your belt dressed as Indy? Either way, Jacka or Strain, both are finely constructed whips and if taken care of properly, will last you a life time.

Another thing to note is that, Jacka whips are much stiffer and heavier then Strains. You may or may not like that but it's a matter of opinion.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

honestly, if you want a 10 ft Jacka whip, then the only thing thats going to satisfy you is a 10 ft Jacka whip.
Dont short change yourself on other whips if they are not what you want.
Joe Strain makes a superb whip, but they handle totally differently than jackas.
If you heart is set on a Jacka. Get it.
because you will end up spending MORE on several cheaper whips and none will be exactly what you want.
Connecticut Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

go with what you want...

Post by Connecticut Jones »

Hi,

I have to agree with the wisdom of the previous two posts. With anything, if you have your heart set on something and you don't wait, you just wind up spending more money on 'filler' before you finally get what you wanted in the first place. I only have one whip, a Rhett Kelley nylon bullwhip, because I didn't want to have to worry about damaging a very expensive leather whip (or worry about explaining to my wife why I spent X on a whip when there are whips on eBay for $9.99 -- granted, not Indy whips, but...)

Like the others have said, if you save and wait for the Jacka, you will be getting a great whip, and, while it may take you some time to learn, you wil be learning on a quality tool.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
Connecticut Jones
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Kt Templar wrote: Perhaps, try starting at the shallow end, previously many people would have started with the very sturdy IOAB, now we have the Purewhips 'budget Indy' which looks very nice you can also look at the Giovanni Celeste 'lil Indy'. All will give you a great start and can be resold well if you want to trade up.
Consider also that Giovanni's "Little" Raiders is no longer 6 plait but 8, although I think he makes them only in Kangaroo now so that might add something to the price.
http://www.giowhips.altervista.org/newLR1.jpg
http://www.giowhips.altervista.org/newLR2.jpg
http://www.giowhips.altervista.org/newLR3.jpg
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

Well I know it's not what you have in mind, but considering yer already in Australia, you could get yourself a very innexpenssive stockwhip to learn the basics of whipcracking. A 4 plait redhide stockwhip is very affordable. It's a bit different than cracking a bullwhip, but if you are just starting out, it might be an interesting idea. Otherwise, if you are dead set on a bullwhip, you have lots of fine whipmakers in your own backyard mate. To name but a few; Mike murphy, Bernie, Simon Martin and lots more. I'm sure they could offer you a whip to suit your budget, just give them a call. They are all listed on this forum.
Good luck,

Franco
JMObi
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JMObi »

I'd get a 10 foot if that's what you are keen on. They are fun!

Also, there is a big difference in the handling/feel between the two types of Indy whip. If you try one, then try the other, it is a very different feeling. In archery terms, it's a bit like the difference between a longbow and a compound bow. I prefer the longbow.
LemonLauren
Vendor

Post by LemonLauren »

Indiana Tim,

The only real advice I have is to find some way to try a Strain and try a Jacka - and not just any Jacka, try his CS whip. They are very different from some of his other bullwhip styles. I agree that a CS jacka would not be the first whip I'd recommend to a beginner who is planning on learning to crack his whip, but everyone is different... If you at all possibly can, try to do research and find people who own whips, crack whips, or make whips around you, and ask them if you can try their whips out. That should give you a better idea of what is important to you in a whip. In my experience, most of the people who love and crack whips are among the most gracious and kind people I've met.

I know where you're coming from too, with being a college student and wanting to buy a whip. :) When I was in college, I was lucky enough to make a friend who owned several whips, and I got to try them all out, and I made the decision to buy a 6' Strain. And even though there were moments in the beginning when I thought I'd have to sell it on Ebay for rent money, I always hung onto it and cracked it almost every day. The whips I make today are still heavily inspired by the many things I loved about that whip, and I don't regret a penny of that investment!

So good luck on making your decision!

Lauren Wickline
www.midwestwhips.com
Canuck Digger
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canuck Digger »

I sent you a PM regarding this, you might want to check that out...
Cheers,

Franco