15/888

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

moses wrote:Come to think of it... if Peter's "authentic brown" is an exact match to an original hide, and Novak's jacket is an exact replica of an original jacket - why aren't they the same colour??? :-k
Tony's Raider jacket may be an exact replica.....as far as specs go, but the leather is just an estimate.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

the leather is not 1:1 its just what TOny thinks is closest to what he saw on the jacket. IMO he took it way too far on the texture.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

whiskyman wrote: Image
Reminds me alot of thisImage
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

Yes but why would Tony choose a colour that is very different from what he had in his hand? Maybe Peter's colour is wrong? Or maybe Tony didn't really have a screen used jacket? Or would the jacket have changed colour over time?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

dutch? huh?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

moses wrote:Come to think of it... if Peter's "authentic brown" is an exact match to an original hide, and Novak's jacket is an exact replica of an original jacket - why aren't they the same colour??? :-k
Peter's "auth. brown" is similar but not an "exact match" to an original hide, because there are different Wested authentic browns. I have two auth.br. jackets and colour is (slightly) different.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Maybe there were different jackets used in the movie and, while very similar in many aspects, maybe they had different hues and textures to varying degrees. :-k
Last edited by crismans on Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Holt the colour of the jacket just really reminds me of beets ! :D
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Dutch_jones wrote:Holt the colour of the jacket just really reminds me of beets ! :D
:lol:

that's funny. i guess we have different eyes dutch...if my jacket reminded me of beets, i wouldn't wear it cuz i HATE beets!!!

(eventhough i ate them by the bowl full when i was dating my future wife.....i told her i loved beets......muwuwuwuhahahahahahahaha {evil laugh})
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

moses wrote:Yes but why would Tony choose a colour that is very different from what he had in his hand? Maybe Peter's colour is wrong? Or maybe Tony didn't really have a screen used jacket? Or would the jacket have changed colour over time?
who says he chose a colour that was different?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

crismans wrote:Maybe there were different jackets used in the movie and, while very similar in many aspects, maybe they had different hues and textures to varying degrees. :-k

:-k there's a thought
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

whiskyman wrote:.. is in comparison with a Wested auth. goat

Well, they can't BOTH be right!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

take that wested and douse it in alcohol till all the shine is off........sandpaper the #### out of it.....douse it with alcohol again......take your pocket knife and a steel brush and go to town on it........if there is anything left of the jacket after that....it should get close to the same shade as a TN 1.

........oops, that's a goat.....i don't know what will happen. i've done it with their authentic lamb and it darkens up significantly.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

CM wrote:
PSBIndy wrote:You shouldn't have to "grow" to like a $1,000 jacket.......like one doesn't buy a $250K Ferrari so that you can grow to like it.
With respect, I totally disagree. The price of the item is irrelevant to whether one can grow to like it. How many times have people taken time to get to know and like something? And once they do, they often end up loving it.

A friend let me borrow his $180,000 car which I thought stunk at first. I was really disapointed. Three weeks later, once I got to know it better, I decided it was fantastic.

The same thing can happen with movies. I thought Raiders was okay when I first saw it. I thought it was brilliant the second time. Astonishing by the third viewing.

And what about Holt and his custom HH LC jacket? He even put it up for sale at first. Now he loves it.

People change. They sometimes need to take a few days/weeks to settle on a view.

Oops.... long post about a simple idea... sorry.

Cheers ;-)

I agree totally. Some of the best art can take a while to appreciate. On the flip side, there have been movies and music that I liked the first time, only to decide later that there was nothing for me to come back to.

As far as the Tony's Indy 1 jacket goes, it is the closest thing to a Raiders hero jacket out there. It is undeniable. Tony has really done it. I love mine. But it's not for everybody and I won't be getting rid of my other jackets. There's some perspective.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

moses wrote:
whiskyman wrote:.. is in comparison with a Wested auth. goat

Well, they can't BOTH be right!
This is what I'm saying - or thinking, rather - to me the TN is toned far more like the Wested dark brown or similarly slightly purplish-hued distressed horsehide like mine (pics here viewtopic.php?t=35539 ).
I'm also in the market for one of these TN's but am looking for some point of comparison on colour, etc in the same shot so that we can take white balance / light out of the equasion. Love to visit Tony to see for myself, but it's a long swim from Australia. But yeah, this does confirm that it's WAY darker than the far more caramel-y Authentic Brown.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Rundquist wrote:
CM wrote:
PSBIndy wrote:You shouldn't have to "grow" to like a $1,000 jacket.......like one doesn't buy a $250K Ferrari so that you can grow to like it.
With respect, I totally disagree. The price of the item is irrelevant to whether one can grow to like it. How many times have people taken time to get to know and like something? And once they do, they often end up loving it.

A friend let me borrow his $180,000 car which I thought stunk at first. I was really disapointed. Three weeks later, once I got to know it better, I decided it was fantastic.

The same thing can happen with movies. I thought Raiders was okay when I first saw it. I thought it was brilliant the second time. Astonishing by the third viewing.

And what about Holt and his custom HH LC jacket? He even put it up for sale at first. Now he loves it.

People change. They sometimes need to take a few days/weeks to settle on a view.

Oops.... long post about a simple idea... sorry.

Cheers ;-)

I agree totally. Some of the best art can take a while to appreciate. On the flip side, there have been movies and music that I liked the first time, only to decide later that there was nothing for me to come back to.

As far as the Tony's Indy 1 jacket goes, it is the closest thing to a Raiders hero jacket out there. It is undeniable. Tony has really done it. I love mine. But it's not for everybody and I won't be getting rid of my other jackets. There's some perspective.
I don't deny you can grow to like some things. To me, though, it's just not the same as loving something right off the bat. I suspect that some people who have bought the TN (Raiders or CS) are not all that thrilled with it but are keeping it in the hopes of "growing" to like it one day esp. since they poured so much money into it.....if it was a $200 jacket, I'm sure most won't give a second thought of tossing it.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

PSBIndy wrote:
I don't deny you can grow to like some things. To me, though, it's just not the same as loving something right off the bat. I suspect that some people who have bought the TN (Raiders or CS) are not all that thrilled with it but are keeping it in the hopes of "growing" to like it one day esp. since they poured so much money into it.....if it was a $200 jacket, I'm sure most won't give a second thought of tossing it.
wow. That makes it sound like you really dislike the TN jackets.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah, seriously, what are you talking about PSB? I know there have been some complaints about the Indy I, but the CS jacket? Are you kidding me? I have yet to see a single person who got one that didn't love it. -M
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

RCSignals wrote:
PSBIndy wrote:
wow. That makes it sound like you really dislike the TN jackets.

On the contrary, I love my TN CS jacket.....and I loved it when I first opened that beautiful white canvas bag. If I didn't like it, I would have sold it or returned it to Tony. If I didn't like it then, I sure as #### won't like it now.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Mulceber wrote:Yeah, seriously, what are you talking about PSB? I know there have been some complaints about the Indy I, but the CS jacket? Are you kidding me? I have yet to see a single person who got one that didn't love it. -M

I'm talking about guys who bought a TN but are not entirely happy with it (just because they didn't post here doesn't mean they don't exist).....if the TN was a $200 jacket, I'm sure most of those that aren't happy with it would not hesistate to get rid of it.....but because the jacket is so expensive, I suspect that those guys who are lukewarm are hanging on to it in the hopes of "growing" to like it one day. BTW, I love my TN CS. (from first sight).
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

edit
Last edited by whiskyman on Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

OK the outside pics are really cool but two things I notice right away. One is about the jacket: the body length looks short on you. I think one inch more would suffice, secondly the crown on your hat is really wide.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

It DOES look good, I'll give it that.
But as someone else asked, why keep posting these pictures if you don't plan on keeping the jacket? Are you hoping enough compliments will change you mind?
Personally, I think it looks a little short. You look taller than me, so It'd probably suit me just fine!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

the length on the jacket is perfect.the jacket is perfect.the hide is perfect.the look is perfect...

why do I bother
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

But you haven't seen it in person, Holt. You haven't handled it, or worn it.
Many things look good in pictures, not so good up close and personal.
I had a jacket that taught me that...
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

no.not TN jacket.

but I have handled shrunken lamb in about 10 years.I have a buddy whop works with shrunken lamb.he has had all types in his shop.and I am very sure that the hide Tony uses looks and feels pretty much as what I have felt.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Look, I think it looks good too. But you simply cannot say 'the hide is fine', without seeing it in the flesh, holding it, trying it on.
Having handled shrunken lamb in the past gives you no insight into just what this hide feels like, or looks like up close. Unless it was from the same lamb. :)
All that aside, my final thoughts; Whiskeyman, the jacket looks good, but It's obvious you're not happy with it. I doubt you'll have trouble selling it, though it may take some time, and TN himself may take it back, depending on the refund policy. But posting all these pics of a jacket you've had in the classifieds for days is just...odd.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah that reminds me.

if you want to return it to a get a refund I stronlgy suggest that you dont wear it and go around outside with it.

this is the same with shoes.

you cant buy a pair,then walk outside with them and go back to the shop after a week and ask for a refund.
Last edited by Holt on Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Short. I can see the purplish tint you describe.

This thread is heading toward the Twilight Zone, I can't understand all the photos either. Someone who's the right size needs to buy this one.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

whiskyman wrote: If only this hide were tougher, it'd be perfect. As it is]

but wasnt the color of the hide that put you of?

Im lost..
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well sorry - I thought posting decent pics of this jacket would be a good service to other members here who have otherwise only seen a handful of pics of a TN Raiders jacket - most of which were indoors with flash.
If it's so perverse I'll take them down again.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

LOL.

easy there cowboy. :lol:

people are just trying to figure out why the pictures keep comming and why its being used if you want to return it for a refund.

thats all..
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

To me it looks like a spot on Raiders jackets - fit, finish, everything. If it's the color, it is hard to say one way or another. Unless you have the hero jacket laying next to it, you really can't tell if its accurate or not-- but that doesn't make a difference to me if it is close.

You can wear an actual hero jacket from the movie and there will be someone who'll tell you that the color is all wrong.

If you are going to return/exchange it then yeah wearing it often is a bit of a no-no. But if you are selling it and there are no takers, you might as well wear it and enjoy it.

Ultimately it will be a matter of price to the buyer (lower = better) not wear and tear.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Browncoat wrote:

You can wear an actual hero jacket from the movie and there will be someone who'll tell you that the color is all wrong.

BINGO!!
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Indiana G wrote:. i've done it with their authentic lamb and it darkens up significantly.
Really? :-k
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

The jacket looks nice but maybe not worth spending $1000 as it seems with whiskyman. Just wondering with reselling, how hard is it to resell when it says its custom made for so-and-so? Would that be a big turn-off even though you can't see when wearing?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I got the impression that someone already bought it. Someone in Denmark?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana Strones wrote:
Indiana G wrote:. i've done it with their authentic lamb and it darkens up significantly.
Really? :-k
agent 5 can confirm this.

and i hope mr. sable allows me to use this pic here.....the jacket he is wearing is a wested authentic brown lambskin, i'm pretty sure......

Mod edit
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

whiskyman wrote:Well sorry - I thought posting decent pics of this jacket would be a good service to other members here who have otherwise only seen a handful of pics of a TN Raiders jacket - most of which were indoors with flash.
If it's so perverse I'll take them down again.
Sorry to see you took them down. I think it was a service to put them up.
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Yeah... they were good reference photos. Why did you take them down? I didn't quite understand... :?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

agent 5 can confirm this.
I concur. The Nowak looks pretty darn good right out of the box to me but the Wested looks brand new and needs some distressing TLC to get it to look darker, but once it's done it looks pretty good.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

A quick postscript.
I mentioned in another thread how shocked and disappointed I was at Tony Nowak's phone call in response to my emailing him for advice. I want to add that he emailed me today and apologised for upsetting me which had not been his intention and I believe him to be sincere. I also think that this whole jacket busines has stressed me far more than it should have and I have been taking things far too seriously. Yes, Tony uses some pretty colourful language, but I think he was trying to fire me up about the jacket rather than insult me. He missed the mark perhaps, but I also overreacted. Anyway, I have no hard feelings towards Tony Nowak as our misunderstanding is sorted out.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That is VERY good news, my friend.
:)
HIGH regards! Michaelson
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Yeah, that whole exchange just didn't sound typical of TN..........He called me on Thanksgiving Day to see how my #016 was breaking in and just to say how thankful he was for his opportunities with the jackets and how it couldn't have happened without OUR support and his moving to the US years ago...........
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

He called me on Thanksgiving Day to see how my #016 was breaking in and just to say how thankful he was for his opportunities with the jackets
See, now this is above and beyond what anyone could ask for.... He takes time out of his day to make calls just to see how you liked your purchase.... That's class and more than good customer service....
Glad it all worked out, Pagey.... It was also classy to respond to you and make things right. More high marks for Tony....

On another note, I'm seeing more and more members using these trailing sentences so I thought I'd give it a try....

Does almost every sentence have to trail off???? :lol: Whatever happened to sentences ending in periods????

In jest, of course....
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Glad to hear it worked out, Pagey. Sometimes it's just a matter of a simple understanding, even if colourful language is involved. ;-) I still get the occasional call from Tony asking how my jacket is doing. He even called to with me a happy Thanksgiving! :)
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

whiskyman wrote:A quick postscript.
I mentioned in another thread how shocked and disappointed I was at Tony Nowak's phone call in response to my emailing him for advice. I want to add that he emailed me today and apologised for upsetting me which had not been his intention and I believe him to be sincere. I also think that this whole jacket busines has stressed me far more than it should have and I have been taking things far too seriously. Yes, Tony uses some pretty colourful language, but I think he was trying to fire me up about the jacket rather than insult me. He missed the mark perhaps, but I also overreacted. Anyway, I have no hard feelings towards Tony Nowak as our misunderstanding is sorted out.
So... is it possible for you to re-post your photos? I thought they were some of the the best reference shots on COW. I DID think that the jacket looked a little short on you though. But that may be how you wanted it?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

whiskyman wrote:A quick postscript.
Any chance you'll be hanging on to that jacket? Or is it already sold? I still think it deserves another shot - best not to judge solely on first impressions. -M
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

agent5 wrote:
He called me on Thanksgiving Day to see how my #016 was breaking in and just to say how thankful he was for his opportunities with the jackets
See, now this is above and beyond what anyone could ask for.... He takes time out of his day to make calls just to see how you liked your purchase.... That's class and more than good customer service....
Glad it all worked out, Pagey.... It was also classy to respond to you and make things right. More high marks for Tony....

On another note, I'm seeing more and more members using these trailing sentences so I thought I'd give it a try....

Does almost every sentence have to trail off???? :lol: Whatever happened to sentences ending in periods????

In jest, of course....

Yes, it's a rule! Sentences must trail off! ;-)

Actually with me, when I post I try to emulate the way I would speak. One of my friends had notices a while back that I'll finish saying something and then look like I'm about to say something else but don't. Somehow that got adopted into my writing/typing. This, however, is not one of those times! :P

I received a Happy Thanksgiving call as well! He definitely is a classy guy. My wife was razzing me about my new BFF over Thanksgiving dinner but I think she gets it as well. I find him to be a very sincere guy and definitely a straight and to the point communicator when he wants to be. I have nothing but respect for the guy, curses and all! I'm rather envious of those that live nearby to his shop and could meet with him in person or got to meet with him at the QM2.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

_,
My pointing that out was in no way a dig at you or anyone in particular, just a generalization I've noticed not only here but elsewhere. There is no hidden agenda or anything of that nature intended. I think you know by now that if I have a gripe I will post it openly and plainly and not hide it in some miscellaneous post I'm hoping the intended target may or may not see it. I've gone down that road with you before and have no desire whatsoever for a repeat battle in any way, shape or form. I'm attempting to keep on the positive side of things. Winter here in Chicago always depresses me greatly.
Last edited by agent5 on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.