The proper way to measure jacket sizing

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

The proper way to measure jacket sizing

Post by Aggie »

Well, I'm in the process of getting the measurements together for a custom Wested order. I went to the mall today and grabbed a leather jacket off of the rack to measure it and decide what I needed to add or subtract to it.

I measured it in the fitting room. I had to take two pictures for each measurement because I had to hold the camera with one hand.

First measurement I took was the sleeve:

For this particular jacket, the sleeve measures 26". Sometimes you have to put the jacket on first to find the top part of the sleeve to measure from; the shoulder hem isn't always in the top middle of the shoulder.

This measurement is of the shoulder.

This particular jacket has a shoulder that measures 6.25". I take the sleeve and shoulder measurements (I think that's how it's done) to get a overall measurement, and for this jacket, it is 32.25".

For me personally, I don't want an overall length over 33", and I'm not sure what the shoulder measurement of the Wested jacket is going to be (anywhere from 6.85" to 7.5" it seems for my size 44), so I know that the longest sleeve length I would want to order is 25.5". 25.5" + 7.5"= 33"

By trying on jackets at the mall, I determined that the absolute shortest overall sleeve length I'm willing to go with is 31.5", so with a 25.5" sleeve, the shoulder length would have to be 6" and I don't think a Wested in 44 will come with a shoulder length that short. So I think for me personally, 25.5" is a safe sleeve length.

I could go with a 25" sleeve, but I'm afraid it might be too short.

Here is the back measurement. The first picture did not come out like I wanted, but I basically just started the tape at the hem between the collar and the back material of the jacket.

The back of this jacket is 27.25", which personally for me is too long. So for my Wested jacket, I think I will go with the 26".

Finally, I have the chest measurement.

This jacket measures 24.5" I believe you times that by two to get the overall chest. 24.5" x 2 = 49". Now, several inches of that is "comfort room," so I think this jacket is meant to be a baggy size 44 to a smaller size 46. This is the reason why I prefer to custom order a jacket or at least buy a jacket that is measured in a chest measurement. Also, I don't like the modern, baggy jackets with 5" to 6" of comfort room, meant to fit in a range of sizes rather than one actual size.

Well, I hope I did this right. If not, let me know and I'll go back and remeasure and take more pictures.
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

Do the people who work at the store in the mall know you're going into the fitting room taking photos?

I would think that would get you a visit from the local police and some explaining to do.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Taking photos should not be a problem; however, taking the jacket would be! :lol: :lol:

All your measurements are pretty much how I measure my jackets. You will have to allow for some give and take cause one person's measurement is not the same as the next in clothing which is wierd. You could not get away with differing measurements in building other things the way you can with clothing.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Road Warrior, I don't give a rat's behind what they know or think. I'm not doing anything wrong taking photographs of leather jackets that I'm measuring. Not like they would know who has a camera in a dressing room anyway. :roll:

Browncoat, I know what you mean. For my sleeve length for example I have a range of measurements I am comfortable with.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Id like to step in here..

bringing a camera into the shop isnt illegal by itself of course.taking photos of someones product isnt illegal too.but if you got caugth by the staff the questions about why you are doing it would come and come and come.and the police would be contacted I think.I dont know how they do it in the states.but here were I am we would question the person without a doubt.
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

This is getting too off-topic.

I'm trying to help because it took me A LOT of research through this forum to find exactly where to measure on a jacket, and I never did find many pictures. Hopefully this might be useful to someone because I've seen posts of people having to ship jackets back to Wested because the sleeves are too short.

I don't care to discuss store clerks, the police, or law enforcement procedures in another country. That's getting a little asinine. I was in a locked room with a full-size 3'x8' door and walls that went to the ceiling.

I was hoping this thread could provide some insight on measurements because there has to be others on here more knowledgable on measurements that me.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Aggie wrote:That's getting a little asinine. I was in a locked room with a full-size 3'x8' door and walls that went to the ceiling.
I have to admit, my first thought was "Eek. He doesn't have a jacket at home to do this with?"

But I'm sure people do appreciate the effort - it's in a lot of people's minds when the order jackets and the like that they may give the wrong measurements. No reason to get antsy, man.
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

Road Warrior, I don't give a rat's behind what they know or think. I'm not doing anything wrong taking photographs of leather jackets that I'm measuring. Not like they would know who has a camera in a dressing room anyway.
Oh really?? I guess you didn't know that, being private property, nearly every major retail store has strict policies regarding photography on their premises without permission. They have every right to do so. How do they know who you are or what you're up to?

Don't give a rats behind? Try whipping out your camera and taking photos on the sales floor. I can practically guarantee you will be instantly asked to stop and leave the store. Give them an attitude and expect to explain yourself to a cop. If they know you're taking photos in the dressing room, the cops will be there for sure. Be sure you have nothing incriminating on your camera, because they won't believe your jacket story.

Think I'm wrong? Try it at the mall tomorrow and see how it works out.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ok guys.

I am locking this one down.

this continues down the road we dont want to go.

move along.