My new custom Wested Raiders thread--number 93,385

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

My new custom Wested Raiders thread--number 93,385

Post by crismans »

As the title says, I got my new custom Wested today. This jacket is an amalgamation of all the things I wanted in an Indy jacket and all the things I've been able to steal from other people on this board. First, off I asked for the thinnest horsehide Wested could source (ala my friend Holt). I also shamelessly went for his yolk schematics. Not content to stop with my unadulterated theft there, I snatched Marc's pocket specs and voila!

I tried to create a jacket that had the spirit of Indy with a few concessions to real world durability and usefulness. In addition to what I mentioned before, I also asked for heavy duty stitching on everything, one piece gusset, extra slit pocket, no leather facings, x-box stitching, sleave seam an inch below the yolk seam, and 1.5 depth on the action pleats.

I'd thought about selling this jacket once I got it to help pay for my Nowak Raiders (I ordered the Wested before I finally succumbed to the dark cult of Kali--I mean Nowak :lol: ) But now that it's here, I'm going to just have to have two Raiders jackets. I really like the look and feel of this coat. Wested really nailed this one for me.

Pictures aren't the best as I'm currently training my wife on how to take jacket pictures. Also, the jacket is a good length on me but the t shirt is throwing things off a bit. And please pay attention to the jacket instead of lusting after my sleep pants. :twisted:

EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

Nice. :)

Except I can't tell if George is looking at your jacket or your rear end. :lol: Jerry seems to like it too.
Last edited by EchoSix on Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Yes my friend!!

great jacket.just wait until it breaks in..it becomes so soft and supple..well you have seen my LC photos.

great color.the backlength is perfect on YOU.any shorter then it might look well....short. :shock: (the short back on the orignal isnt for everyone,myself included)

I dont see the collar that much.. it looks like it has a rounded stormflap corner aswell...

the pocket placement is really good.how high is that? 1.75'' 2'' from hem?

the straps look like they are 4.5'' from hem? am I right? I prefer 5''

it looks to have giussets.does it?

just wear it.wera it and wear it..you will love it,

ps.Hey..I just finished watching seinfeld myself.hehe

bests
Holt
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Great jacket! It looks like Seinfeld likes your pjs too! :P
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

EchoSix wrote:Nice. :)

Except I can't tell if George is looking at your jacket or your rear end. :lol: Jerry seems to like it too.
I did feel uncomfortable on that shot, now that you mention it. :-k

Thanks for the comments and not taking me to jail for theft, Holt. ;-) I idd get the rounded storm flap top and the collar folds down much more nice than the picture shows. The pockets are 1.5 inches from the hem and the straps are 5 inches from the hem. After these pics, I did my cold water/cold rinse treatment and dried it on the lowest heat setting for a few minutes (just to knock the water off enough to wear it). No shrinkage (worked in a Seinfeld myself there) and this baby is already molding nicely.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i love the way the back hangs off of you.....great jacket!

perhaps the key was in the 'holt yoke' ;-)

congrats and enjoy in good health sir,

G
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I am key!

just joking...
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hey! I think my pal Art Vandelay has a jacket just like yours... (he's an importer)! :-k ;-)

Shane
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

way nice jacket crismas! I am starting to want one of those.
EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

If you don't mind my asking... When did you order it? How long did it take to arrive and did you get "in" after the exchange rate flipped?

Because no one seems to believe me that I only paid $170.00 + $20 shipping for my custom goat.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'm not sure of the exact price--somewhere in the neighborhood of $350 shipped. It took about a month from order to having it in my sweaty little hands.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It look so... new! :lol: I can't wait to see how it looks on you after it's broken in! ;-)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

To be honest, I think the $170 was a mistake on someone's part. What was the exact day you made the exchange?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Raider S wrote:To be honest, I think the $170 was a mistake on someone's part. What was the exact day you made the exchange?
it probably should have been 170 GBP + 20 GBP. even their OTR jackets are still 125 GBP and 135 GBP which are way more than $200 USD. looks like you got a deal ;-)
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

I just purchased a custom raiders last week and it came to around US $250.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

indy1936 wrote:I just purchased a custom raiders last week and it came to around US $250.
maybe it's time to hit up wested while their prices are still hot........or while someone is still making mistakes!!!! :lol:

KT......what's up with these prices? i paid what indy1936 paid for an OTR jacket a while back.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana G wrote:
indy1936 wrote:I just purchased a custom raiders last week and it came to around US $250.
maybe it's time to hit up wested while their prices are still hot........or while someone is still making mistakes!!!! :lol:

KT......what's up with these prices? i paid what indy1936 paid for an OTR jacket a while back.
The pound is tanking. 6 months ago it was roughly $2:£1, currently it's less hovering around $1.5:£1.

Aero fans are having the same double-takes when they order too!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

right on!!!! when's peter gonna get those new shirts and pants for sale??? can i pay him now??? :lol:
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

It came to $279.50/£185 including shipping to be exact.
Last edited by indy1936 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

EchoSix wrote:If you don't mind my asking... When did you order it? How long did it take to arrive and did you get "in" after the exchange rate flipped?

Because no one seems to believe me that I only paid $170.00 + $20 shipping for my custom goat.
Man, after you said that I went and tried to calculate that, but it comes to $254+shipping. :( The exchange rate didn't change that much in the last couple of days did it, or did you get a break from Peter because you didn't pay Paypal fees (even still...!)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Crismans I think your jacket looks great. The pockets might be a tad small, but it could just be perspective.

How does it look now after 'treatment'?
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

This looks great!

I am still waiting for mine (more or less the same jacket!) and have high hopes it will come out as nice as this one looks...

Congratulations!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

This is a great looking Jacket. I hear great things about Peter's HH jackets. I have a lamb and a goat and find the durability noticably different. Love the look of the lamb but it is definately not the toughest hide out there. I am sure you will be glad you kept this one.
best
Canada
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Yes, George Costanza seems to like your jacket too, I think that's a good sign?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

bigrex wrote:Yes, George Costanza seems to like your jacket too, I think that's a good sign?
It's what all the architects are raving about this fashion season. Thanks very much for the kind words. I'll take pictures of the jacket "slightly beaten" later on today. Nothing other than a wash and wear but it's broken in now.

Let the natural distressing begin!! :whip:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

very nice!! Congrats

NIBS
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Very nice, and HH is the ONLY way to go!! Gratz!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Jakob Emiliussen wrote:Very nice, and HH is the ONLY way to go!! Gratz!
Actually not ;).

Lamb, Novapelle, Goat. They all have their advantages. Each will serve a certain niche.

I have a horsehide, a novapelle, a lambskin and am waiting on a washed goatskin.

The one I don't wear that often in that list is the horse I find it a bit heavy and stiff.

I alternate the the lamb and the novapelle, when it is colder it's the NP, milder the lamb both are just great.

When it got down to freezing I wore my RAF Mk3, co-workers were shocked and confused to see me in anything other than leather! :)

Crismans, great new jacket. Will look even better with a soak and break in!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Kt Templar wrote:
I alternate the the lamb and the novapelle, when it is colder it's the NP, milder the lamb both are just great.

When it got down to freezing I wore my RAF Mk3, co-workers were shocked and confused to see me in anything other than leather! :)
:-k I still wear my Novapelle, I even wore it when it was -3 degrees centigrade/26.6 degrees Fahrenheit...

Regards, Geert
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Here's a few pics of the jacket after a wash treatment and a couple of days of wearing (I went with links this time to cut down the load time on the thread--also that's just a "spot" from the first picture--it's nothing on the jacket):

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 260061.jpg

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 260063.jpg

One a little further out to show the length with some pockets for reference:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 260062.jpg

And a close-up to show the grain:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 260064.jpg

Again, this hide might not be for everyone, but I'm really liking it more and more. Really glad I ventured a little outside my comfort zone.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thats a complelty different jacket man.

I really like the first shot.very raiders,and that jacket looks way cool on you!

give us a side shot
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Holt wrote:thats a complelty different jacket man.

I really like the first shot.very raiders,and that jacket looks way cool on you!

give us a side shot
Thank you very much, Sir! I also need to thank you as I think your yoke specs absolutely make the jacket. I'm really beginning to think that the short yolk is one of the most critical aspects of the jacket.

I'll get a side shot posted on the morrow.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

crismans wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:thats a complelty different jacket man.

give us a side shot
I'm really beginning to think that the short yolk is one of the most critical aspects of the jacket.

I couldnt agree more. ;-)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Just as an update and a warning, as I'm sure everyone who has a HH jacket but me knows, you don't want to put Lexol on it. :shock:

I knew about the less porous quality of the hide so Pecards didn't enter my mind. But I was thinking about how to soften the leather up a little and I thought about the Lexol I'd used on my lambskin and washed goat. So I coated that baby down and left it overnight to soak in the tub. My well laid out plans was to get up this morning, wipe off the excess, and sport it as the well dressed dandy about town.

You've heard how too much Pecard's can make a sticky mess? Yeah, too much Lexol will do that too. :P
Oby1ITA
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Oby1ITA »

I am about to buying a Wested raiders too

But i'm really going mad on what sizes to take

I'm italian and mine european size is 48....while the british is 38.

The problem is that if i have to take a 38 or a 40 because i have to take the size of shoulders, chests sleeves etc etc....

...And i'm going mad because i don't have a jacket similar to compare these sizes and look if the one i'm going to buy is right or not.

The only thing i've been able to size on me is the chest....that i'm 48, so 38 as jacket.
But the rest i have nothing to try about....

:cry:

Someone help me! :cry:
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

The best advice has to be to call Wested. You can't ask too many questions! My experience has been that they're very easy to work with. The only issue I've had has been the time zone difference between there and the states so I have also tried to use email which has sometimes gotten lost apparently. But if you get them on the phone it's quite a pleasant experience. Don't pull the trigger until you are sure that everything is squared away!