Who is Tony Nowak?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Who is Tony Nowak?

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

I've been looking around the forum, and everytime a leather jacket is mentioned, so is Tony Nowak. Now, I only know Peter from Wested, and I thought his jackets where the most SA, but now I'm getting confused :-s .

HELP!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

man,if you do a little digging a few pages down you see who he is..

just a qick lesson....he is the maker of the real Indy4 jacket in CS.

a really good and personal friend of mister Arnold himself.

a man with high contacts in the filmbusiness..

a man who got THE orignal raiders jacket from ''mr sparks'' (yeah right) to replicate...

and he is a really GREAT guy to talk too!!
Last edited by Holt on Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Tony made the jacket for CS. Not only Indy´s but Mutt as well and sells very nice replicas of them.

http://www.tonynowak.com/
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

love your awatar last crusader.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Holt wrote:man,if you do a little digging a few pages down you see who he is..
Yeah, but a forum is (IMO) for asking :) and so I ask!!

But thx anyway. I can see now that it is allmost sacrilege that I don't know who the man is. It does, however, make it very clear why you are all so crazy after his jackets!

At last, I understand! :)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

right indeed,your very welcome my friend.

it is wonderfull seing the light isnt it ;-)

so,when are you gonna place your order and be the forst in denmark to own one....

you must be interested since you ask about him right?hehehe..
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Holt wrote:right indeed,your very welcome my friend.

it is wonderfull seing the light isnt it ;-)

so,when are you gonna place your order and be the forst in denmark to own one....

you must be interested since you ask about him right?hehehe..
Tony Nowak make-a-sell: Add only pressure, bake for the time it takes to save up money!

No, really, I don't know. I have allready spend a lot of money this year on gear, and as a student, it takes sooooo long to get enough for anything... So as for now - never!
Indiana Whit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Whit »

I want Tony to make me an Arnold-spec T-2 jacket some time :P granted arnold was huge so it'd be too big around the chest and arms, but I'll work out! haha
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Indiana Whit wrote:I want Tony to make me an Arnold-spec T-2 jacket some time :P granted arnold was huge so it'd be too big around the chest and arms, but I'll work out! haha
When I first visited his shop I got to try on one of the T-3 jackets. Man I was swimming in it :lol:
Indiana Whit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Whit »

haha yeah I think Arnold might've actually been heavier in T-3 than T-2

will Tony be working on (or rather has he) the T-4 jacket? Granted it's going to be another body builder guy with arnold's head digitally placed on it (why cant he just take 2 weeks off from governating?) but I wonder if he'll have a leather jacket...
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

He is in fact doing costumes for the new Terminator. I cant say too much but they are some nice digs 8)
Indiana Whit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Whit »

nice:) I'm still going to hate the film just because Arnold isn't technically *really* in it other than in voice...but I have faith at least that Stan Winston did us well before he sadly passed :(
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Whit wrote:haha yeah I think Arnold might've actually been heavier in T-3 than T-2

will Tony be working on (or rather has he) the T-4 jacket? Granted it's going to be another body builder guy with arnold's head digitally placed on it (why cant he just take 2 weeks off from governating?) but I wonder if he'll have a leather jacket...
That's gonna be sooo bad - and wrong! If there is no uncle Arnie, there can be no terminator!!
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Well they could always put Summer Glau in to sub for Arnie.... ;-)

A little off topic but realistically: I think Arnie is great. I'm a huge fan and T2 is another of my favorite movies but as far as the role of the Model 101 goes, well, Arnie's 61 now and was about 43 or so when he did T2. He understandably is not in the same shape he once was.

Look at the people who griped about "old Indy" in KotCS. Well at least in the story that character has aged so they don't need to explain why Indy is old and not of the same physique he used to be (he did look great for his age mind you!).

The Model 101, being a cyborg, isn't really supposed to age. They're machine's that won't have expanding waist lines, etc. Given that and currently available movie technology, the workaround sounds like a decent idea since Arnold's current responsibilities limit his capacity to physically be in the movie even if he could or actually wanted to. Either that or move on to another Terminator model...
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Don't Call Me Junior! wrote:Well they could always put Summer Glau in to sub for Arnie.... ;-)

A little off topic but realistically: I think Arnie is great. I'm a huge fan and T2 is another of my favorite movies but as far as the role of the Model 101 goes, well, Arnie's 61 now and was about 43 or so when he did T2. He understandably is not in the same shape he once was.

Look at the people who griped about "old Indy" in KotCS. Well at least in the story that character has aged so they don't need to explain why Indy is old and not of the same physique he used to be (he did look great for his age mind you!).

The Model 101, being a cyborg, isn't really supposed to age. They're machine's that won't have expanding waist lines, etc. Given that and currently available movie technology, the workaround sounds like a decent idea since Arnold's current responsibilities limit his capacity to physically be in the movie even if he could or actually wanted to. Either that or move on to another Terminator model...
You might be on to something - but maybe, just maybe, they should stop produce movies like this when the actor get too old... BUT, I think, if they can pull that "past-Arines-face-onto-another-actor" stunt off well, it might be a good solution....
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

So, when did this tread turn into a "Who Is Arnold" thread? ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Oh, about 8 posts above yours. :-k :[

Regard! Michaelson
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Yes, Jakob, I agree. Sometimes it's best to let the franchise end with dignity than to limp on when the actor gets too old to play the part! Uh-oh, we don't want to start in on Indy IV and now possibly Indy V again do we?

Back on topic - sorry Michaelson and Rick! - if you want to see what all the hoopla is about Tony, if you can swing a quick international call, give him a call just to ask about the jacket. He'll gladly share some great stories about the jacket. We talked for about 25 minutes before I even told him I actually wanted to buy an Indy I jacket (but alas he probably knows he has some of us at hello!) You're not obligated to buy if you can't at this time or don't want one. He's still a very nice guy and probably would be more than willing to talk. I know there are some people who actually called and said no, for the time being anyway....
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Tony's Web site doesn't list prices. That's scary. Why would a Tony jacket be better than a Wested if you don't count that he was the selected maker for the Indy IV jacket?
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

Buy one or find someone that has one for you to see and you will know why his jackets are great.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Han Jones wrote:Buy one or find someone that has one for you to see and you will know why his jackets are great.
Well, whiskeyman dosn't seem to be very satisfied with his ( viewtopic.php?t=36214 ) and actually seems to prefer Westeds jackets!!! I think he pulls alot of costumers on the fact that he made the jackets for the new movie, but that does not mean it's the best (qualitywise - I'm sure it's pretty SA ;-) ).

I, personally, am not going to spend that kind of money on a jacket in lamb - it's too "flimsy", even thought it's SA... Horsehide is the way to go!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana MarkVII wrote:Tony's Web site doesn't list prices. That's scary. Why would a Tony jacket be better than a Wested if you don't count that he was the selected maker for the Indy IV jacket?
TN jackets and wested jackets both have their market niche's. we can go on and on about who's better but that is an extremely subjective and loaded issue.

imo, wested is an excellent jacket for what you pay. does it have details that i want on my jacket......no. i have to pay extra and pray to the jacket gods that my requests are not dismissed as things that will make the jacket ugly in wested's eyes. if i do get all my specs done, i get a shiney, squeeky clean jacket...so i don't want a jacket that looked like a hero jacket from 'indiana jones gets caught in the car-wash of doom'.

a TN jacket....there is nothing there that you cannot change or have changed. you also have the peace of mind that the DNA of a TN1 is transposed from an early production jacket. the quality IS top shelf and that cannot be argued. with all that, you pay more of course as for everything else that is custom made precisely to what you want. is it worth it? i believe so. i've burned over three times that amount looking for THE jacket. i wish TN was around a couple years ago.....there'd be alot more room in my closet.
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

I have seen a few GB, I have had todds and have 5 westeds. The 2 Nowaks I have are my best jackets by far. I would never put my wested and my Nowak on the same level. As far a what I have seen here over the last 5 years I would put the Nowak up against anything.I belive them to be the best.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Jakob Emiliussen wrote:
Han Jones wrote:Buy one or find someone that has one for you to see and you will know why his jackets are great.
Well, whiskeyman dosn't seem to be very satisfied with his ( viewtopic.php?t=36214 ) and actually seems to prefer Westeds jackets!!! I think he pulls alot of costumers on the fact that he made the jackets for the new movie, but that does not mean it's the best (qualitywise - I'm sure it's pretty SA ;-) ).

I, personally, am not going to spend that kind of money on a jacket in lamb - it's too "flimsy", even thought it's SA... Horsehide is the way to go!
hey CM....here's another one for your camp! :lol:

i've come to understand the folks that will go for durability over SA. if i changed my perspective to be in line with that, i would definitely kick the tires on an expo goat.......i believe g&b has cornered the market on real world indy jackets ;-)

for an SA stitch nazi nut like me, i agree with HJ........'there is no equal' 8)
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Since TN does list prices on his website, just what does one of those highly praised jackets go for? I can't afford one right now anyway (not working at the moment, but I hope that changes soon), and my closet already has an authentic brown lambskin Raiders, and a goatskin Last Crusade (I got second hand), both from Wested.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Indiana G wrote: if i do get all my specs done, i get a shiney, squeeky clean jacket...so i don't want a jacket that looked like a hero jacket from 'indiana jones gets caught in the car-wash of doom'.
btw Wested does have pre-distressed hides - though I am not crazy about any of them (though I do want to see the pre-washed goat for LC style). Remember the film jackets were hand distressed. My lamb is getting quite a nice mottle/pattern to it as I wear it more. Does it look like I was just dragged by a truck? No.

Clearly TN makes a fine jacket, and is the maker of the original CS film jacket, and is on the high end of pricing for the jackets (compared to Wested, USW and others).

There's another advantage to TN - he's relatively local for a lot of people here. I got my Wested fit exactly how I wanted, because I happened to be able to make 3 trips to Peter's barn.

We still don't yet have pictures and full details of the jackets TN used to copy his Indy I jacket from yet, so that is a gray area. I am not sold on his Indy I hide either -- until I can see it in person. I wasn't sold on Wested's lamb until I saw it in person either.

Also note TN was not the original maker of the T2 film jackets, from what I've read they were made by Bates Custom Leathers: http://www.batesleathers.com/streetwear ... terminator
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana MarkVII wrote:Since TN does list prices on his website, just what does one of those highly praised jackets go for? I can't afford one right now anyway (not working at the moment, but I hope that changes soon), and my closet already has an authentic brown lambskin Raiders, and a goatskin Last Crusade (I got second hand), both from Wested.
indy 4 - $675 + shipping
indy 1 shrunken lamb - $975 + shipping
indy 1 (other hides) - $750 + shipping, i believe but don't quote me on that.

you'll also see that the indy 1 is not mentioned anywhere on his website, the last time i checked.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:
Indiana G wrote: if i do get all my specs done, i get a shiney, squeeky clean jacket...so i don't want a jacket that looked like a hero jacket from 'indiana jones gets caught in the car-wash of doom'.
btw Wested does have pre-distressed hides - though I am not crazy about any of them (though I do want to see the pre-washed goat for LC style). Remember the film jackets were hand distressed. My lamb is getting quite a nice mottle/pattern to it as I wear it more. Does it look like I was just dragged by a truck? No.

Clearly TN makes a fine jacket, and is the maker of the original CS film jacket, and is on the high end of pricing for the jackets (compared to Wested, USW and others).

There's another advantage to TN - he's relatively local for a lot of people here. I got my Wested fit exactly how I wanted, because I happened to be able to make 3 trips to Peter's barn.

We still don't yet have pictures and full details of the jackets TN used to copy his Indy I jacket from yet, so that is a gray area. I am not sold on his Indy I hide either -- until I can see it in person. I wasn't sold on Wested's lamb until I saw it in person either.

Also note TN was not the original maker of the T2 film jackets, from what I've read they were made by Bates Custom Leathers: http://www.batesleathers.com/streetwear ... terminator
sorry, i wasn't clear anzac.........westetd has never offered distressing on their jackets. their distressing only goes as far as predistressed hide which is too uniform. their washed goat however is awesome imo and will distress extremely quick...but out of the bag, it still looks new......and its goat. i thought i was happy with the washed goat until i saw a TN lamb that is distressed nicely.

what didn't sell you about wested's lamb?
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana G wrote:
There's another advantage to TN - he's relatively local for a lot of people here.
Which is why I, as a Dane, can say nothing but "Wested" :)

(The following is an intentional provocation but is not meant to ( MOD EDIT)anyone off, but I would really like an answer)[/b]

What I find funny is that Peter (Wested) was the producer of the original jacket for Raiders - which is THE Indy-movie for a lot of people. Tony
Nowak is the producer of the Jacket to Indy Iv - which, at the very least, has divided the community into three groups "KOTCS was good", "KOTCS was bad" and "KOTCS was in between"....

Why is it that people are so obssed getting a jacket from a man, who made it for a movie that 2/3's of the community finds bad or in between??

(This is an intentional provocation but is not meant to (MOD EDIT) anyone off, but I would really like an answer)[/b]

Mod Note: dont go aroud the word filter!

viewtopic.php?t=28929
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:Also note TN was not the original maker of the T2 film jackets, from what I've read they were made by Bates Custom Leathers: http://www.batesleathers.com/streetwear ... terminator
I don't think anybody claimed he was, although he did make Arnie's jackets for Terminator 3, and is working on / has worked on Terminator 4 as well.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Indiana G wrote:[sorry, i wasn't clear anzac.........wested has never offered distressing on their jackets. their distressing only goes as far as predistressed hide which is too uniform. their washed goat however is awesome imo and will distress extremely quick...but out of the bag, it still looks new......and its goat. i thought i was happy with the washed goat until i saw a TN lamb that is distressed nicely.

what didn't sell you about wested's lamb?
My main concern was the color, it looked too light in pictures on people here and I really wanted a very dark jacket - after looking at the film a lot, a lot of the places it looks lighter are either due to lighting (duh) or Fuller's earth or dust.

However, once I saw it in person (to quote agent5) I immediately fell in love. I didn't have to wait for it to conform to my body, I just put it on and it felt right - the zipper even went wavy because that's how it drapes (even with leather facings which I know are not SA).

But I'm also so much bigger than HF I'll never look like him, and the jacket will never sit on me the same way, so I'm also realistic about this.

Other than the special requests to do so, I wasn't aware TN hand distressed his Indy I - I thought it was just the shrunken lamb as-is?

I was all fired up to get a TN CS - and had hoped to at least look at his Indy I hide at the same time, but with the economy the way it is now, I think I'm going to go back to my plan to get a Wested LC pre-washed goat and call it good.

For my Raiders jacket, I was really looking for something dark and shiny, that would wear and naturally distress over time or could be dusted up as needed, because when I look at the film (most of the studio scenes) I see a jacket that is dark and shiny but has been distressed.
Last edited by ANZAC_1915 on Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:I don't think anybody claimed he was, although he did make Arnie's jackets for Terminator 3, and is working on / has worked on Terminator 4 as well.
Indeed, I thought readers might take that implication "in between the lines" between the "good friends with Arnold" discussion and discussion around T2, so just wanted to be clear about that.

Although, Bates is owned by someone completely different now, so while they have the patterns, it is somewhat moot.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Jakob Emiliussen wrote:
Indiana G wrote:
There's another advantage to TN - he's relatively local for a lot of people here.
Which is why I, as a Dane, can say nothing but "Wested" :)

(The following is an intentional provocation but is not meant to **** anyone off, but I would really like an answer)

What I find funny is that Peter (Wested) was the producer of the original jacket for Raiders - which is THE Indy-movie for a lot of people. Tony
Nowak is the producer of the Jacket to Indy Iv - which, at the very least, has divided the community into three groups "KOTCS was good", "KOTCS was bad" and "KOTCS was in between"....

Why is it that people are so obssed getting a jacket from a man, who made it for a movie that 2/3's of the community finds bad or in between??

(This is an intentional provocation but is not meant to **** anyone off, but I would really like an answer)
I can't answer this for everyone, but my take on it? Two reasons: While Peter makes a great costume jacket (keyword COSTUME) that's not built for the long run, Tony makes a great jacket made purposely to last through the stunts. While folks at CoW for ages remained divided between a screen accurate jacket and a jacket that is durable but is not screen accurate, Tony provided us with a jacket that IS Indy's jacket not only as it would be in real life, but as it was on screen!

The second reason is, and here I will join you in getting controversial, probably stepping on the toes I haven't already... While Peter made a great jacket decades ago, what he makes isn't what he used to make. I'm led to believe this by reading the history of the struggle to get Wested to replicate their Indy jacket, starting with bellhop jackets...? So he may have made a great jacket once, but without a doubt, what you get is not exactly the same thing today. Factor in all the changes people requested over the years that have become standard, and you get a jacket that is an idealized version of Indy's jacket, and NOT a screen accurate jacket, even if you explicitly ask for one.

Tony, on the other hand, made the jackets barely a year ago for Indy IV, and only started reproducing them barely half a year ago. In that time frame, he hasn't even sold off 777 of them yet, and my guess is that he's barely sold 500 of them, since he seems to repeatedly tell folks "No rush". His patterns are therefore as accurate as you can get, and his jackets are as close to owning a screen-used prop jacket as most of us will ever get. Not to forget that you can get one made in Ford's size, something unheard of for Wested.

And then there's the whole issue of how Tony handles his customers, but that's another story... :P

In a nutshell though, it's not whether the movie was good or bad that counts. It's the fact that since Ford wore Tony's jacket as Indy, Tony's jackets therefore are as much a part of Indy legend now as Peter. We're after getting the jacket, not the movie. To paraphrase a stolen quote from Raiders: If it's the movies you're after, Lao Che's is right down the hall. :whip:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

ANZAC_1915 wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote:I don't think anybody claimed he was, although he did make Arnie's jackets for Terminator 3, and is working on / has worked on Terminator 4 as well.
Indeed, I thought readers might take that implication "in between the lines" between the "good friends with Arnold" discussion and discussion around T2, so just wanted to be clear about that.

Although, Bates is owned by someone completely different now, so while they have the patterns, it is somewhat moot.
Point taken. Although, come to think of it, Tony's Mutt jacket could easily pass itself off as a T2 jacket if you just remove the epaulettes... :P

By the way, with regards to your post on jacket color, I don't think you'd be too happy with an Indy IV jacket if it's a darker color you're after. The studios must have really gone to town on it as it looks alot darker than what you'd get, even with the 'dark' CS hide. I think a Wested was the right choice here for you. :)
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Castor Dioscuri wrote: While Peter makes a great costume jacket (keyword COSTUME) that's not built for the long run...
I totally disagree! I've got a horsehide Wested Raiders-style jacket, and it's the best jacket I ever had, and it's definetly NOT a "costume-only" jacket...

Other than that, very interesting point of view. It's an answer to my question - thank you :)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i agree with you there anzac.......something about wested's authentic brown lambskin that i totally love as well. perhaps it is because my very first indy jacket was made out of it.... :)

here's my opinion - peter's current patterns are LC patterns....which are generated from a g&b jacket built from screen images of a raiders jacket (not an expo). his original raiders patterns are gone like the do do bird....which is a shame. peter has gratiously massaged the pattern he has for his clientelle to suit and i believe somewhere down that road, the look and feel of an indiana jones jacket was convaluted with these modifications(sp?) moreso than before.....until screen nazi's got to tinker with the pattern further. some good improvements, some bad..........all subjective to the stitch nazi that is viewing the movie. in the end we get a 'mutt' or hybrid of many people's takes of THE jacket (platon's length, agent 5's/CK's pockets, and yadda yadda yadda). wested will make a heck of an LC jacket for you.......but the funny thing is, there are some aspects of the TN indy 4 jacket that is more SA than wested's LC!!!! :-k

i like indiana jones and the fact that i could get the same jacket that was in the movie.........i like those 2 things more than the fact that i didn't care much for the movie, or the look/fit of the jacket. i've grown to love my CS jacket but i'll take a raiders jacket any day.

one thing that cannot be contested is how accurate peter's TOD jacket is going to be.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Jakob Emiliussen wrote:
Castor Dioscuri wrote: While Peter makes a great costume jacket (keyword COSTUME) that's not built for the long run...
I totally disagree! I've got a horsehide Wested Raiders-style jacket, and it's the best jacket I ever had, and it's definetly NOT a "costume-only" jacket...

Other than that, very interesting point of view. It's an answer to my question - thank you :)
i wouldn't go as far as calling wested's a 'costume jacket' either (sorry castor)....they are decent real world jackets. todds standard is a costume jacket and so is that abomination that indyfalco tried on at the toy store :lol: i would even go as far as saying that todds custom is not a costume jacket as well and the construction is about/almost par with wested's. all the jackets that i have mentioned are leagues away from what you get at us-wings (not screen accurate), g&b (excellent pedigree but not SA enough for me), and the TN which has got everything.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

let us get this straigth.wested is no custome jacket at all.my wested LC is made like a tank.really.it is tough stuff..I have other ''high quality'' leather jackets that cost much more then a wested..the construction on my LC overgoes them by far.
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

indy 4 - $675 + shipping
For the two or three months of a year that I might be able to wear a jacket for my 10:00 p.m. dog walk, I'll stick with my Wested's for now.

I'd be curious to price the hides that would be enough for an Indy jacket at a Tandy or Leather Factory (same company). Tony's probably makes a healthy living at those prices.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana MarkVII wrote:
indy 4 - $675 + shipping
For the two or three months of a year that I might be able to wear a jacket for my 10:00 p.m. dog walk, I'll stick with my Wested's for now.

I'd be curious to price the hides that would be enough for an Indy jacket at a Tandy or Leather Factory (same company). Tony's probably makes a healthy living at those prices.
You bet. I really don't think that leatherprices can differ that much (fx. form Wested to Novak) - even though there might be a difference in quality.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I didn't think it was even possible for someone to NOT know who Tony is :lol:

NIBS
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:
ANZAC_1915 wrote:Also note TN was not the original maker of the T2 film jackets, from what I've read they were made by Bates Custom Leathers: http://www.batesleathers.com/streetwear ... terminator
I don't think anybody claimed he was, although he did make Arnie's jackets for Terminator 3, and is working on / has worked on Terminator 4 as well.
I don't see anything that confirms they were the original maker for T2 other than their saying "This jacket was created for the movie of the same name!"

That could mean they created it as a replica.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

ANZAC_1915 wrote:

The TN site does not, nor Tony himself, claim to have made the T2 jacket.
Mutt's jacket yes
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yeah Castor, I really don't know WHERE you got the idea that Peter's jackets are costume jackets - I've had mine for several years and it's still holding up really well.

As for why Peter is less popular than Tony right now? I'd say it's because Peter's original patterns for the Raiders jacket were lost long ago, and he's been having a lot of difficulty creating a Raiders jacket that everyone agrees is accurate. Once in a while he gets pretty close, but for the most part they're about as close to a Raiders jacket as they are to a LC jacket.

Meanwhile, even though Tony only made the jackets for Indy IV, he's been able to actually examine and take measurements from a screen used Raiders jacket, make an estimate as to what type of leather would best replicate the original and thus is in a better position to create an accurate jacket than even Peter is. -M
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

What I hear people saying are that the reason why Tonys jackets is better than Peters, is because of the pattern which Tony has direct access too, and Peter has lost.

What I'm thinking is that, Tony is already replicating whatever Peter did so long ago... So Wested IS better than Tony, because even Tony is copying from them :) - he he he....

Tell me one thing. Why is it worth spending between $675,- and $1000,- on something that is essentially a copy of a copy, and not made by the man who made the original (as far as I have understood people are buying Raiders-jackets from Tony). A real fun twist is that everybody that I've heard of have had corrections for the Nowak - so even though he has access to screenused jackets, people still don't think they are SA - THAT'S HILLARIOUS!!! :)

I know I'm provoking, but I just don't get it - I might just be dumb and narrowminded, but then please explain it to me :)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Jakob Emiliussen wrote:A real fun twist is that everybody that I've heard of have had corrections for the Nowak - so even though he has access to screenused jackets, people still don't think they are SA - THAT'S HILLARIOUS!!! :)
This reminds me the old story about Charlie Chaplin. He once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest in San Francisco and, quite humorously, could not make it to the final round.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Indiana Strones wrote:
This reminds me the old story about Charlie Chaplin. He once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest in San Francisco and, quite humorously, could not make it to the final round.

yes I know.that story is hillarious..poor charlie..he didnt even look like himself :lol:
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Indiana Strones wrote: This reminds me the old story about Charlie Chaplin. He once entered a Charlie Chaplin look-a-like contest in San Francisco and, quite humorously, could not make it to the final round.
It's also interesting to see that Hitler wasn't the only one trying to look like Charlie Chaplin at the time...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Probably he won that contest.
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

Not sure if he was in San Fransisco at the time...

But it is a fact that Hitler kept his moustache like that because he wanted to look like Charlie Chaplin.

Can you imagine that? Wanting to look like your favorite filmstar?

What's next? Buying the same kind of jacket and hat?

Mind you, this would probably mean that if Club Obi Wan was Charlie Chaplin related and in the twenties, Hitler would have probably been a member.

What does this say about us? :[