15/888

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

coronado3
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by coronado3 »

Man I am sorry to hear that the jacket is not going to work for you... Is it just the lamb that you don't like or the fit? If it is just the lamb, maybe Tony would take it back in exchange for one in that dark cowhide that Bink displayed in his pix...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

whiskyman wrote: Image
See what I mean? ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Uh, no. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Michaelson wrote:Uh, no. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
:lol: it is referred to what I previously said to Whiskeyman but then forgot that I changed it...

everything looks good on him, that was my point lol
sorry if it was deleted
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Ah, understood! ;-)

Regards! Michaelson
DVD Connoisseur
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DVD Connoisseur »

I think the jacket looks superb. Sorry you don't like it, whiskyman.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I dig it too, except for the leather. I know those who have it say it's just SO cool and you have to see it in person but really, if I don't like what I see in pics how will that change my opinion in person? I don't get that.

I know...I know...Tony will have other leather choices and I'm waiting patiently for that.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

I’ve sort have been on a personal crusade for a while now about how you get the least for your money with lambskin. In fact, I never thought that I’d own a lambskin jacket again. It’s just flimsy leather. However, I really like my TN Indy 1. And I really like the light feel of lambskin. It’s what the original Raiders jacket was.

With that said, my multiple goatskin G&B expeditions and water buffalo expo would all beat up and take a lambskin jacket’s milk money. Indy 5 should be called “Indiana Jones and the Doorknob of Doom” (credit to Dr. J on that one). Even though Tony says that it’s ok to go wild in this thing, you do get the voice in the back of your head saying, “I spent a grand on this thing” :BD: . I don’t think that CS jacket owners have that problem. They know that the hide will hold up. My expeditions are sons that are not going to be “disowned” anytime soon.

It should also be said that the shrunken lamb that Tony is using is not just any shrunken lamb. It’s got a really fine and elegant texture to it. The graining is just right. I’m convinced that this is what the Raiders leather was. I’ve popped the movie in and paused and blown it up over the last couple of weeks and you see the same grain and texture in the fleeting shots where light is bouncing off the jacket just right. Film loses detail. Lee Keppler confirms that the “bellhop” jackets that Peter sent him in 1987 were made out of this same type of leather.

I’ll sum up the Tony Indy 1 like this. It’s a jacket for Raiders “freaks”. Other people might be better served with another jacket. With that said, I really love mine and am happy I got it.
Last edited by Rundquist on Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

I think the jacket fits and looks great. Very Raiders! The hide is really growing on me.

Perhaps its just buyer's remorse? It does happen with big ticket items. Eventually you get over the "I can't believe I paid this much for this...[insert object]" and begin to appreciate why you bought it in first place.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

sorry to hear you don't like the leather whiskey. like rundquist says, it's not for everybody.

i'd like to echo what bink said, the leather that i received for both versions of #010 is far from thin and flimsy.....that would be a todd's standard. i would put the leather weight and substance in the range of wested's authentic brown lamb, personally.

per my understanding, the lamb is 'shrunk' via an enzyme. when you get the jacket, it will feel kind of 2 dimensional when you first slip it on....kind of like if you just sewed 2 jacket patterns together and just threw it over your body. when you start wearing it and pulling at it per how your body is structured, the 'shrunk' lamb will be pulled back to its earlier state and hence the drape and the custom fit to the owner.....moreso than any other of the leather offerings as i am assuming that their 'elasticity' is much less.

if you need the fit and drape to be bang on out of the bag, this may not be the jacket as that is done through the dynamics of the hide. if you don't like the hide, then the answer is clear. i hope you manage to get reimbursed by a lucky buyer nick......and i hope you get that family vacation.....because, in the end...family is more important than any gear item you will find (even something that was worn by ford) ;-)
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

even something that was worn by ford
Really? Ford actually tries on these jackets at Tony's before they're shipped out? :lol: And here I thought they were just replicas. ;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

if i had a chance to own THE raiders jacket out of uncle george's office.....OR......take my family to disneyland for my daughter's first time.....i would easily choose the latter.

......of course upon returning from disneyland, i would enter into extensive negotiations in hopes of renewing said offer with whatever penalites associated........."you got your trip to disneyland.....now go play and let daddy talk to uncle george for a bit........." ;-) :lol:
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana G wrote:if i had a chance to own THE raiders jacket out of uncle george's office.....OR......take my family to disneyland for my daughter's first time.....i would easily choose the latter.

......of course upon returning from disneyland, i would enter into extensive negotiations in hopes of renewing said offer with whatever penalites associated........."you got your trip to disneyland.....now go play and let daddy talk to uncle george for a bit........." ;-) :lol:

I’ll never set foot in that park again. Can’t stand the place, but that’s just me. I’m a dreamer. :lol:

The interesting thing is that Ford & Bernie had access to the jacket that Tony used. They deemed it a piece of #### and went with the Keppler G&B for CS. The irony for me is that I don’t really dig the CS jacket.
:[
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

FINALLY! Someone else who can't stand the mouse. Well, I dig the mouse, just not the corporate hijacking of the dream. It's sad.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i truly believe that it is because of THE MOUSE that we don't see a gritty, nastier, indy as he was in raiders (since they are associated). CS indy was like everyone's grandpa imo.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Whisky, in the Cairo Bazaar pics the jacket colour looks very different, without any purplish hue. But I can see that hue in the other pics. Anyway the jacket looks very good to me. :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont get this....

I would keep the jacket just for that it is THE jacket..thats a good enough reason for me.....

If you dont sell this then send it to me...even if it is 2 sizes to small...
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Whisky, I don't understand why you can't just return the jacket to Tony for a refund......did he say no?.....or did you ask Tony if he could make another one with a different hide......did he say no to that, too? (Tony is "world-famous" for his customer service, so I can't imagine him being not accomodating after the sale).
Last edited by PSBIndy on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clutters
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Clutters »

The leather colour and distressing looks a lot like the leather I have on a real leather coat made in the mid 1930s. Hope that helps. I think it looks great, just not what we are probably used to seeing, per Wested et al.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Indiana Holt wrote:I dont get this....

I would keep the jacket just for that it is THE jacket..thats a good enough reason for me.....
The problem is: IS this THE jacket?
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I think the personal inscription inside the jacket might be a deal-breaker for some.....esp. for a jacket this expensive. It it removable?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well I for one believe Tony when he almost screams that it is THE jacket..

so yes I think it is the jacket...even if it wasnt,it is still the closest match to date
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Whisky, I think the jacket looks fantastic, and fantastic on you. I see no similarity with the other two jackets you pictured, in fact they pale in comparison.
I also don't see any purple, some russet tones maybe.

But, it's your jacket and you have to be happy with it. I hope you don't regret selling it later.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Wow ! I really see what you mean with purplish undertone. Have you tried contacting Tony yet?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

well I love thew jacket..I would taken it if it has pink undertones.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Guys, I think he's unhappy with the leather and how durable he believes it to be vs. the price he paid - not how it looks.

As far as the inscription, I think that would be easy for a buyer to have removed and something else added by a good tailor or Tony himself. $250 off is a good deal, if it were my size I'd give a thought.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

What is up with the xbox ! one jacket has it , the other doesn't?
Is he just alternating that between jackets?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

what!!

does it have a Xbox??? did you request that Nick??

aw man...dont get me started on this..

G, take over..

I am on vacation from this ;-)
Last edited by Holt on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I'm sure Tony will take it back, all it needs is a new liner and some one Whiskyman's size and he's good to go.

WM I don't think you should sell it at a loss. See if Tony will take it back first. Like he said, the jacket wouldn't be for everyone. After all $1000 has a lot of customer servicing built in.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

ohh pheew..

forget about it G..I just had a closer look ..No X

Hey dutch..were did you exactly see that X again?
Last edited by Holt on Wed Nov 26, 2008 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Just curious, does Tony have a refund policy?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I have to agree with the others. I'd talk to Tony first and see what you could come up with. You can always sell it later if nothing works out.

I'm really sorry you don't like the jacket. It looks fantastic and great on you.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

What I see here is that there are two guys selling their brand new TN Indy I jackets, just five minutes after the bag/box opening, and NOT because of a wrong size problem. Does this mean something? :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Not sure, IS.

I just took a tally of the classified section. I found 18 jackets for sale....only one TN, a couple Wings, and the rest Wested.

What does that tell YOU? :-k

It doesn't tell me a thing, but hey, if you like statistics, there's some data points for you. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

The well given HUGE price differential between the TN and Westeds, it's no surpise that more Westeds are up for sale.....because much more people own them.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Strones wrote:What I see here is that there are two guys selling their brand new TN Indy I jackets, just five minutes after the bag/box opening, and NOT because of a wrong size problem. Does this mean something? :roll:
It means nothing. Where is the second for sale?
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

IS, there is only one TN for sale, where did you get 2? Chris King hasn't decided to sell his, or anything.

Anyways, it's too early to calculate percentages with "one." I understand Whiskeyman's misgivings about the jacket. Given his choice of hide in the past (goat and horsehide), I suspect he's looking for a real world jacket, and the shrunken lamb seems more of a prop/costume hide. I want an Indy I, but I'm hoping for a horsehide option before I commit.

Of course, I am a 40R...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Yes I was referring to Chris King.
If anyone is interested in buying this jacket, please contact me because I may consider selling it if I just can't get used to the leather. My name is not written on the inscription, so it's perfect for anyone else to own.

Chris
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Strones wrote:Yes I was referring to Chris King.
If anyone is interested in buying this jacket, please contact me because I may consider selling it if I just can't get used to the leather. My name is not written on the inscription, so it's perfect for anyone else to own.

Chris
He hasn't mentioned that since. I get the impression he may have changed his mind
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Baldwyn wrote:IS, there is only one TN for sale, where did you get 2? Chris King hasn't decided to sell his, or anything.

Anyways, it's too early to calculate percentages with "one." I understand Whiskeyman's misgivings about the jacket. Given his choice of hide in the past (goat and horsehide), I suspect he's looking for a real world jacket, and the shrunken lamb seems more of a prop/costume hide. I want an Indy I, but I'm hoping for a horsehide option before I commit.

Of course, I am a 40R...
I think the shrunken lamb is more of a 'real world' give it heck hide than most Lamb hides.

OH OH, whisky's jacket is a 40R :|
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

RCSignals wrote:
Baldwyn wrote:IS, there is only one TN for sale, where did you get 2? Chris King hasn't decided to sell his, or anything.

Of course, I am a 40R...
I think the shrunken lamb is more of a 'real world' give it heck hide than most Lamb hides.

I KNOW I KNOW. I just crashed my motorcycle this morning on a particularly slick rainy day, so I suddenly I have replacement parts to buy, or I'd really try to convince my wife we need this jacket more than say a family holiday :)

As for the "shrunken lamb" real world hide, I'm just going by what whiskey had to say (having not seen or handled it)
whiskeyman wrote:I am disapointed in just how thin and flimsy this leather is. It reminds me of the plastic foam they use to pack audio gear. I'm also convinced it's the same type of leather that Todd used on his prototype. The colour, stretchiness and even smell are identical and the texture is pretty similar. But Todd's jacket was only somewhere around the 200 mark rather than the 1000 mark. Granted, he didn't phone me three times in the middle of the night.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Baldwyn wrote:
RCSignals wrote:

Of course, I am a 40R...

I KNOW I KNOW. I just crashed my motorcycle this morning on a particularly slick rainy day, so I suddenly I have replacement parts to buy, or I'd really try to convince my wife we need this jacket more than say a family holiday :)

As for the "shrunken lamb" real world hide, I'm just going by what whiskey had to say (having not seen or handled it)
Read what Rundquist and Indiana G say about the leather above.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Indiana Holt wrote:ohh pheew..

No I meant that one TN jacket has x stiches on the strap and the next one doesn't etc
this one doesn't have them. yet two of the four jackets on this board now do.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Dutch_jones wrote:

No I meant that one TN jacket has x stiches on the strap and the next one doesn't etc
this one doesn't have them. yet two of the four jackets on this board now do.
Which besides #001 has X stitch? Indy G's?

(this X-stitch on the TN jackets was all discussed in another thread)
indy1936
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indy1936 »

Michaelson wrote:
Mike wrote:Not specifically, Michaelson's better at time tables than I am. But I know my early 90's was as well as my Lambstouch had the darker hues. I think it was shortly before the Authentic Lamb, but don't quote me on that.
My first custom direct order lambskin from 1996 did, as well as my first lambtouch as well, so I can at least date it to that year.

Regards! Michaelson
Thanks for the info!
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

in the jacket samples that bink photographed, i saw a number of variations in the design including anchor stitching......as of now, it looks like the design is per what hatch and i (the 1st time) got.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Keep in mind that some of the sample jackets were prototypes for the sake of trying different hides, and not intended to the "the" jacket.

Actually, Strones, if you like statistics, do a count of how many jackets Whiskeyman has purchased only to sell later on. (Sorry, Nick, couldn't resist.) ;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Keep in mind that some of the sample jackets were prototypes for the sake of trying different hides, and not intended to the "the" jacket.

Actually, Strones, if you like statistics, do a count of how many jackets Whiskeyman has purchased only to sell later on. (Sorry, Nick, couldn't resist.) ;-)
ahhhhhhh statistics.....i went into the final exam of statistics CLUELESS.....and i still passed. gotta love the bell curve.

speaking of statistics, we can add the number of expeditions that rundquist has owned or currently owns.......heck......count all of his g&b jackets and yet he still finds acceptance in the TN offering. i can't compete with rundquists closet....but i can perhaps compete with his indy jacket collection ;-) .......and in my humble opinion, this is THE raiders jacket..........(still would like to examine an expo closeup)....... :lol:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

In my opinion, the only THE Raiders jacket(s) were the ones used in the film. Everything else are just replicas. That being said, I love all my replicas. :)
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

whiskyman wrote:Here's the jacket being worn. Not the best shots and I shouldn't really wear such a big jumper underneath, but I'm ill so that's why no decent outdoor shots.
I have to add, I'm in no way unhappy with Tony- he made the jacket perfectly and it really does have the classic raiders look. I just had a very different idea of how this leather would be in person, and it's not at all what I want a leather jacket to feel like. That's MY problem though.
So, what stands out that makes the leather different in person than what you thought it would be like, what does it feel like etc.?