need some help

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Holt
Craftsman

need some help

Post by Holt »

when I see a thing like this on my whip..I get a little worried,mainly because I dont know anything about whips.I am no whip guy at all...

you can see the 2 bends in the whip..why does this happen?

I can straighten it out by a little force..but it goes right back to it after a little while..so the whip pros.....

is this a bad thing for my whip?

bests
Holt
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gaucho »

My friend

Can you sell this whip??

Which the price??
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I don't think he want's to sell the whip..

Holt, it may just be that it's an area where the strand was dropped in order for it to taper better. Give us some close ups in good quality. Then we can see it. Some different angles too. You aren't putting leather dressing on ALL the time are you? Only when the whip is dry (typically every 6 months, give or take some depending upon your climate.)
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Hi Holt!

What kind of whip is that? It has a beautiful color!! =P~ How old is it?

Anyway, tt doesn't look like anything bad to me (you can decide for yourself if I qualify as a knowledgeable whip owner!). Probably if you can look at the strands yourself and just make sure there isn't any noticeable damage (tears, etc.) then it should be fine. It may just be an interesting cosmetic feature of the whip (see: "Character Choice" :lol:), you know?

Shane
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

pagey whip, 6 months old and it cracks like a canon!!

the craftmanship of this whip is extremely good..I just saw these bends in the whip that made me freak out a little..cause I dont know anything about whips in that to realize that this could only be cosmetic issues.

if you ''whipknowers'' say to me that this is something I shouldnt be worrying about,then I wont...just needed some advice...still learning...

I mean hey! I cant be fully outlearned in this hobby right?

but like I said above..I can bend these straight again,but they will fall back like this in a little time again....

sorry no selling. ;-)
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

WhipDude wrote:I don't think he want's to sell the whip..

Holt, it may just be that it's an area where the strand was dropped in order for it to taper better. Give us some close ups in good quality. Then we can see it. Some different angles too. You aren't putting leather dressing on ALL the time are you? Only when the whip is dry (typically every 6 months, give or take some depending upon your climate.)
right.light coat every 6 months not on the knot and handle.
deadringer
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by deadringer »

G'day Holt,
I would not be to concerned, this will not affect the action to much, mainly cosmetic.
The best thing to do would be to give it a good roll on a solid table with a smooth peice of timber about 2- 3 inches wide then let it hang instead of storing it rolled up.

This is more than likely caused by the leather dressing solidifying in the cooler weather..

Just give it a roll and you should be happy with the result.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Chris
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Those points are the stand drops and I think the bends are occuring because the whip is loosening up with use, and those points are not yet loosening up as much. With time, things should even out.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ya, the same thing happened with my Strain but it eventually evened out

NIBS
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

The best thing to do would be to get in touch with the whip maker if you are concerned about it and he or she will be able to tell you what is going on. I have seen a lot of these type of questions in the past on various whip forums and surely the best thing to do is as I said, get in touch with the whip maker. If there is something wrong he or she will rectify it or put your mind at ease.
Kind Regards
Bernie
Last edited by bernie47 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.