Magnoli vs. Todd's Custom

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Dr. Jones1936
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Magnoli vs. Todd's Custom

Post by Dr. Jones1936 »

Due to appalling customer service and partial refunding because of poor record-keeping, :x I am looking to companies other than Wested to supply me with an Indy Raiders jacket.

In particular, I'm curious as to the quality of the Indy Magnoli's jackets versus Todd's Custom jackets. Please, offer up any opinions you may have. And alternative suggestions are welcome.

If there is another thread on this subject, please, feel free to make me aware of that, also.

Thanks for your help!

-Scott
Last edited by Dr. Jones1936 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WOW, that would be one choice I'd hate to try and make.

They're both WONDERFUL jackets.

The only thing I could possibly see as a slight edge to Todd's custom is it's a U. S. made jacket, so you'd probably get it quicker.

Other than that, I don't envy you your decision....but then in this case, either way you go you'll get a winner, so you're in a 'good place'.

Regards! Michaelson
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

The only thing I could possibly see as a slight edge to Todd's custom is it's a U. S. made jacket, so you'd probably get it quicker.
Not really - I've ordered many times from Magnoli, and I pretty much always get it about 3 days after he sends it. -M
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Understood, but if it has to be returned for any reason, it's sure cheaper if it's in the States.

I've purchased items from Indy too and have enjoyed a mixed bag of delivery times. :lol: Right Indy? ;-)

One was a vest that we thought would NEVER get to me. It travelled all over Europe and South East Asia before finally landing on my doorstep. :)

Regard! Michaelson
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I think if you're looking at the Todd custom, delivery time is less a factor. Both jackets would then need to be made, and wait times vary depending on current order volume. You may not notice the shipping time at that point.

Now, I love the Magnoli, and I prefer his custom jacket because he used a large number of measurements to get the fit right. The down side, as Michaelson says, is the cost of a return if needed. But you would have more freedom to customize the jacket, top shelf quality, and the best customer service I've gotten in a long time (which says a lot considering the stellar people I've purchased from).

I also ordered a Todds, but the pattern turned out to be hideously wrong for my body shape. :cry: That is the only reason I did not keep it. In terms of quality and looks (at least when I wasn't wearing it), my custom Todd's custom seemed to be an equal to my Magnoli.

As for the Todd standard, I simply don't know.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

todd makes an indy jacket extremely close to the imperfect screen jacket.....lightweight and not as robust as some other offerings (yes, i am talking about the custom).

magnoli's jacket maker does not make boots, whips, bag straps, shirts, etc.....he makes jackets, and it shows. the customization potential that you have with indy is endless and i believe indy has an edge on todd in that regards.

i agree with chewie.....todd's patterns are difficult to mate to your body unless your built like a mannequin. on my last todd's custom, he did some special measuring on me and it worked out terrific.

the edge that todd has on mags is that his is more screen accurate imo.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Ya, I would go with Todd's just because of the quickness factor.

NIBS
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I just received two leather samples from Todd's, and actually I was leaning toward ordering the cow before I received the samples. When I got them, to me, there was no comparison in the leather. The lamb was hands down, very supple and worth a second look . You might consider getting some samples before placing and order?

To me, the jacket that best replicates the Raiders look is Todd's Standard. His custom jacket is made with thin leather, but not quite as thin as the Standard. If you like a jacket that is heavier than the Standard, the Gibson & Barnes is also top shelf!
Dr. Jones1936
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Dr. Jones1936 »

Thanks for the suggestions, guys! :)

Texan, I just ordered one of Todd's clearance jackets. Hopefully, it will give me a good idea of the leather and maybe I can use it as a costume jacket, if it fits.

Does anyone have pics of Todd's custom and Indy Magnoli lambskin leather jackets they can show?

I appreciate the help!

-Scott
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

All pics in this set with a jacket are my Magnoli washed lambskin.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N ... 529312389/

Collar close up
http://www.flickr.com/photos/27810273@N ... 897016557/