Mid-range lid

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Mid-range lid

Post by RaiderZee »

Hi folks,

Newbie here, looking to get into the gear with a mid-range fedora, Raiders bash but resonably tough (especially with regards to taper). Here's what I've got so far after weeks of lurking:

- Penman
- JPD Rabbit
- Lee Keppler
- Camptown
- AB Henry

They all look GREAT and all have their strong points, but I can't throw around big $ on a mistake (teacher's salary). Thoughts? PM me if you prefer your opinions to remain private; don't want a flame war right off the bat. Remember, newbie, guys, so take 'er easy . . . ;-)
Last edited by RaiderZee on Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

I just recieved my The Henry, and I think it's very nice. It IS on the expensive side of the factory-produced hats, but I think it's worth it. The felt is very soft, and very forgiving - at least if you don't press the creases you want too hard.

I don't know about the other three you mentioned. But I think (I THINK) The Henry is a safe bet - I am definetly not dissapointed.

But, get some other opinions than mine ;-)

Regards
Emiliussen
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Agreed, I'd go for the Henry - I've never owned any of the hats you've listed, but I do own an AB regular, and I'd trust Steve and Marc's judgment on hats above anyone elses - if it was produced by them, you know it's first rate. -M
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Welcome to the madness friend 8)
First of all besides price, you want to consider turnaround time. If your wanting a fed soon your going to probably want to nix the Henry, which has a long wait as with the other AB fedoras. the other three, there are loads of posts about those vendors.One more possibility would be the Penman. Check out the Vendor Announcements section to get the latest info. All the info you need is on this forum, youve compiled a list so youve done some homework. All of those vendors make an outstanding product from what Ive read and seen so whoever you decide to go with you will not regret it. Again Welcome and as you will soon learn, 'You come for the gear but you stay for the people'. ;-)
Best Regards,
Joe
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

:oops: Whoops! My apologies about leaving off the Penman, it was actually first on my list. I'll edit the original post.
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

My recommendation would be an Akubra Federation, I've had one for years now, and its even better today than it was the day I received it.

On top of a great, well-wearing, affordable hat, designed with input from some of the good people here at COW, you'll find that when dealing with Hats Direct, the wait time is minimal.

I wish you luck with whatever choice you make, but really can't recommend the Akubra Fed more highly! ;-)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Go with the Penman. Every person who has one loves it! Plus, it is made with top quality materials, and is custom made to your head size, unlike a factory made hat.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yep, I'd like to change my vote - since you added the penman to the list, I'll go with that one. Nothing like 100% pure beaver. -M
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Mid-range lid

Post by darthbish »

RaiderZee wrote:Hi folks,

Newbie here, looking to get into the gear with a mid-range fedora, Raiders bash but resonably tough (especially with regards to taper). Here's what I've got so far after weeks of lurking:

- Penman
- JPD Rabbit
- Lee Keppler
- Camptown
- AB Henry

They all look GREAT and all have their strong points, but I can't throw around big $ on a mistake (teacher's salary). Thoughts? PM me if you prefer your opinions to remain private; don't want a flame war right off the bat. Remember, newbie, guys, so take 'er easy . . . ;-)
Why'd you leave the Akubra Federation off the list??
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

I'm for the AB Henry.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

RaiderZee wrote:
- Penman
- JPD Rabbit
- Lee Keppler
- Camptown
- AB Henry
It's somewhat of an apples to oranges issue as to material and price. The Penman is pure beaver felt, $250. The JPD rabbit, about $140. The Camptown, $175, a blend of rabbit and beaver felts. AB Henry, a fur blend, 20/80 beaver to rabbit, $202.50. Lee Keppler: 20% beaver/80% rabbit blend, $180 including shipping. Fed IV Deluxe is a belend of rabbit and wild hare, currently $108.93.

I would first identify its intended use, then maker/price. The beaver hat will take the elements better, if for much outdoor use.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

I cannot recomend the Akubra Federation IV too highly it's a true working hat with style.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

i'm pretty sure camptown is not accepting new orders at the moment, as he is too busy with his day job and personal matters.
KY Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KY Jones »

I have a wonderful Penman and another on order. As a hat wearer for over 40 years, I think my Penman is the best I've ever owned (and that includes my older Stetsons and some other custom hats too). However, it's the only "Indy" hat I have so I can't compare it with the other hats you've listed. The Penman quality, for the money, is unbeatable. It's a great price for a pure beaver. Bending Oak is a pleasure to deal with and a true craftsman.
Best,
KY
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

RaiderZee wrote:Hi folks,

- Penman
- JPD Rabbit
- Lee Keppler
- Camptown
- AB Henry
If I had to make a choice for myself, right now, from this list... I'd get a Penman. I don't own one, but I'm planning to, and I've looked carefully before deciding that. The Penman is beaver fur felt, made for you, and has a reasonable wait time at the moment. Classic shape, lots of research has gone into it, and his value for the price sounds right.

JPD's are also good (I own one), but beaver beats rabbit any day of the week. I also feel that the JPD makes a better Last Crusade hat, but such opinions vary from person to person. The main thing, though, is that rabbit felt will taper before beaver felt (provided both hats are of equal workmanship, as I believe the case to be here).
Jakob Emiliussen
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jakob Emiliussen »

Indiana Williams wrote:Welcome to the madness friend 8)
First of all besides price, you want to consider turnaround time. If your wanting a fed soon your going to probably want to nix the Henry, which has a long wait as with the other AB fedoras. the other three, there are loads of posts about those vendors.One more possibility would be the Penman. Check out the Vendor Announcements section to get the latest info. All the info you need is on this forum, youve compiled a list so youve done some homework. All of those vendors make an outstanding product from what Ive read and seen so whoever you decide to go with you will not regret it. Again Welcome and as you will soon learn, 'You come for the gear but you stay for the people'. ;-)
Best Regards,
Joe
As far as I have understood from Marc, the waiting time is shorter now. I waited almost six weeks for mine, but that was a question af my size not being produced at the time of my order... As far as I know (THIS IS NOT FACT AND I MIGHT BE VERY, VERY WRONG), the wait should be very short now, if your size has been produce once already... But mail Marc at marc@kitter.de - he'll answer any of your questions if you are interested in the Henry.

Regards
Emiliussen
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

darthbish wrote: Why'd you leave the Akubra Federation off the list??
I left Akubra off the list because I am about to buy one already! I am convinced of the FedIV quality, workmanship and durability. It seems to be a great hat for daily use and abuse. I'm asking about other hats because I'd like a little something different for a Raiders SA hat: softer felt, easier to bash, a little dressier, correct Raiders proportions.

No knock on the Fed IV at all; I'd buy three if I had the dough.

RaiderZee
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

penman has the best price AND delivery for a 100% beaver, handmade/custom hat.....unless i'm forgetting someone......
Digger
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Digger »

I have an HJ, an Akubra Fed lV and an Optimo. I recieved a new Keppler blend hat a while ago, and I'm really fond of it. The new felt is as soft as the Optimo, but a bit less stiff. Lee told me he had to special order the ribbon to get it dark brown enough. And you don't have to bash it yourself. I wanted mine done like a newer version of the Screen Used Fedora(see sticky), and it's spot on. He can do any bash you want. You wouldn't go wrong with any on your list, but you asked for opinions, and this is mine.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I would like to set something straight. The Federation is not a mid range hat. Raider Zee asked for mid range hats. The Federation is a great hat and the price is awesome, but it is not a mid range hat. Having said that, neither is the Penman. The Penman is a top of the line custom beaver felt hat. It is priced like a mid range hat becuase John isn't looking for profit, just to provide us all with great hats at a great price.

Now, from the four mid-range hats that you have listed, Zee, I would say that the Henry is your best bet. I don't own one, but the reviews and photos that have been coming in are great and what else could we expect from Steve or Marc?

I do have a Keppler and the felt is soft, really soft. It has the same beaver to rabit ratio but I'd say the Henry is better made. Ken offers a great hat at a great price but right now he is very busy and very backed up. I'd wait a bit and see how things turn up before ordering a hat from him.

The JPD rabbit hat is custom made, so the others wont compare to its craftsmanship. The downside is that it is rabbit which wont hold up as well as a blend or a beaver hat. I personally love rabbit felt and Jimmy's hats are beautiful.

If you want to throw the Penman in with the mid-ranged hats, there is no competition. Get the Penman. I was one of the first guys to recieve a Penman, so I've been wearing it for a couple months now and it is my favorite hat. It is tougher than any of the hats you listed or have been thrown out. The quality, price, and craftsmanship of the Penman simply cannot be beat. The AB is the only other hat in its league. If your thinking about the Penman, get it.

Dave
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

I would go with the Fed IV Dlx. It's the "cheaper" one and the quality its incredible... Of course if your budget it's higher go with an AB Henry!
That's just my thought! :roll:

-Alfonso :)
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

RaiderZee wrote: I'm asking about other hats because I'd like a little something different for a Raiders SA hat: softer felt, easier to bash, a little dressier, correct Raiders proportions.

Since you already have a rabbit in the Fed IV, maybe a pure beaver felt or a rabbit/beaver blend would be the way to go?
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Anyone know what the current wait time for a Henry is? Ive PMd Marc but im just curious if anyone happens to know?
Best Regards,
Joe
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Indiana Williams wrote:Anyone know what the current wait time for a Henry is? Ive PMd Marc but im just curious if anyone happens to know?
Best Regards,
Joe
As I don't have my size 62 yet (big head, I know) I assume they are still modifying the larger blocks. Once that is done (I guess in a few weeks time) the wait time should be no more than a month IIRC.

Regards, Geert
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Anyone recently receive a 59?