Wested Lambskin and Pecard

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Indiana Sloan
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Wested Lambskin and Pecard

Post by Indiana Sloan »

I have a 2002 custom Wested Lambskin that is finally starting to show a lot of natural wear. It is dry and has several light patches from general wear and abrasions. I have never treated it with anything and I noted that there is a tiny hole in the edge of the left cuff where the leather has really suffered. What is the best thing for me to do to preserve this 6 year old jacket? It has been a staple of my wardrobe for so long, I don't think I can bear to see it fall apart.

I know that a lot has probably been written on this but if you can offer anything I'd appreciate it.

Also, I have a 6 oz tub of Pecard dressing that I bought from David Morgan that I am extremely tempted to use, but I won't if that isn't the best choice. Opinions?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

let me just say this before Michaelson pops in.

Pecards.Pecards.Pecards and......brrrrrrrrrr (drumroll) PECARDS! ;-)

yay...I beat him to it. :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, 2 year old rendered lard works wonders on lambskin, if heated to at least 253 degrees F and applied with a wooden spoon during a new moon. :-k :[

Kidding, of course.... ;-)

Yep, VERY light coating (key word, LIGHT coating) of Pecards will work wonders. Just let it soak in, then buff with a clean cotton cloth. You're done.

Regards! Michaelson
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

My Wested is just about the same age and showing the same signs...even with Pecard's, it'll keep doing it. However, that's real distressing...none of this fake distressing that people try to do. Take pride in the fact that you actually wear the thing and enjoy the look!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Amen! :)

Just keep it 'moist' with a treatment of something so it won't crack.

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Blooze
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Blooze »

Michaelson wrote:
Yep, VERY light coating (key word, LIGHT coating) of Pecards will work wonders. Just let it soak in, then buff with a clean cotton cloth. You're done.

Regards! Michaelson
What Michaelson said!!! :notworthy: LIGHT
Oh yeah, one coat and one coat only, or you are liable to end up with a sticky mess, (which of course can be corrected with a hair dryer and a clean towel).