Soften your Keppler video!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Soften your Keppler video!

Post by crismans »

Since Lee's site isn't back on line yet, I was wondering if anyone has a link to the video he did on how to soften his hats. I am really loving my Keppler but I'm wanting to work with it some more. Streets of Cairo, here I come!! :lol:
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

If I remember correctly, the way he shows the soften his hats are to crush them with your hands. You can also sit on them. that softens up the felt pretty good.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana Williams wrote:If I remember correctly, the way he shows the soften his hats are to crush them with your hands. You can also sit on them. that softens up the felt pretty good.
That's right - just scrunch it up and crumple it and uncrumple it a bunch of times.

Shane
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

lee puts both fists inside the crown and pulls at it in a circular motion.....looked like he was making pizza.
Last edited by Indiana G on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Well, I worked on it some. Took a deep breath and dove in. I have to admit that a small voice in the back of my head was wondering if I'd gone mad. But when I first got the hat, it just screamed "Turn me!" Not knowing what I was doing, I turned it too far and then had to pull back some and bash it again. By this time, the felt was getting really nice and soft and I thought I'd just go and see if I couldn't make a SOC hat.

Here's my attempt so far.
http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 160059.jpg

As opposed to before:

http://i350.photobucket.com/albums/q421 ... 0048-1.jpg

The hat feels really soft now and is more comfortable to wear. The brim needs some refinement though. Every time I step out a little, I worry that I've ruined a great hat. I'll work with it some more.

Mod edit: pictures turned to links due to size.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i think its looking great! don't over do it as you want some of it to come in naturally :)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana G wrote:i think its looking great! don't over do it as you want some of it to come in naturally :)
Thanks very much! I was really afraid I'd screwed up! :o

I think you're right though. From now on, it's wear, wear, wear and let it develop on it's own.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

crismans wrote:
Indiana G wrote:i think its looking great! don't over do it as you want some of it to come in naturally :)

I think you're right though. From now on, it's wear, wear, wear and let it develop on it's own.

:tup:

good man.....i see you've read michaelson chapters 4 and 5 ;-)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'm sure this isn't a revelation to anyone that's dealt with hats for a while but (since I haven't), I can't tell you how much more I'm enjoying this hat now. It just seems to work and move more as an Indy hat since I beat it up some. The best analogy I can come up with is comparing the hat before to now as wearing a suit when you're not used to wearing them as opposed to wearing an old, comfortable pair of jeans.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana G wrote:
crismans wrote:

:tup:

good man.....i see you've read michaelson chapters 4 and 5 ;-)
:lol: ;-)