TONY NOWAK IS REPLICATING AN ORIGINAL RAIDERS JACKET!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

EchoSix
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by EchoSix »

crismans wrote:Well, I buckled like a belt, folded like a wallet, caved like a spelunker. #328 (shrunken lamb and all) is mine.

I'm sorry if I didn't catch this earlier, but I gather he's making something like 800 or so? And #328 is actually the 328th order for one of his Indy1 jackets?

:-k
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

He's making 888 Indy 1 jackets. The edition number is in no way indicative of how many he's sold. Basically, you can just select a number that may have a special meaning for you and if it's available, that's what you'll get.

Joe - thanks for posting those pics. Fantastic to see Terry Leonard with Tony. I'm curious - are these copies that Tony sent to you or has he sent you the originals to keep?

Either way, it's very nice of Tony to share.

Chris
EchoSix wrote:
crismans wrote:Well, I buckled like a belt, folded like a wallet, caved like a spelunker. #328 (shrunken lamb and all) is mine.

I'm sorry if I didn't catch this earlier, but I gather he's making something like 800 or so? And #328 is actually the 328th order for one of his Indy1 jackets?

:-k
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

No worries guys. I wasnt offended that no one had commented just a little suprised thats all. The first three are copies but the last one Tony hand wrote the note. Like I said the reason I ended up with these was my jacket happened to be going out when he received them so thats why I was chosen to share them.
Joe
Chris_King wrote: Joe - thanks for posting those pics. Fantastic to see Terry Leonard with Tony. I'm curious - are these copies that Tony sent to you or has he sent you the originals to keep?

Either way, it's very nice of Tony to share.

Chris
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Those pics are fantastic, especially the Raiders pics. Looks like you can spot two trucks in the photo of Terry going under the truck. Look in the backround and you can see the other.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I have a question regarding this jacket.

Did Tony also replicate the inner pocket as it was on the 'real' jacket as well?

In my thread with the raider's jacket details, this has not been well documented.

Can someone with one of these take a pic of the inner pocket please?

Thanks! :)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Heres a pic of G's original Nowak Raiders. Im pretty sure all of the pockets are identical unless the others requested something different.
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll30 ... Pocket.jpg
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Thanks!

I think I saw that now that I think abut it... but I was looking at theembrodery, not the pocket...

So, that stands to reason that the original Raiders pockets were like this, eh?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

maby? we never know for sure.one jacket can have a middle placed pocket, on another it can have a higher placed. I believe the wested standard height is the correct way to go.
Last edited by Holt on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Holt, are you refering to my post about the INSIDE pocket, or are you speaking about the outside pockets?

I was refering to the style of trim, moreso than the placement of the inside pocket in my post...
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

I think he's speaking about the outside pockets. :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

no strones.I am speaking about the inside pocket.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Hey , who else here thinks that Tony Needs to get an Indy hat ;)?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Dutch_jones wrote:Hey , who else here thinks that Tony Needs to get an Indy hat ;)?
finally.....one thing i can agree with you on ;-)

if tony wanted a hat, he'd get one from bernie (who would get it from steve).....in the same way that steve got an indy 4 jacket :)
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Tony has one of Steve's hats ;-)

Regards,

Marc
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Indiana Holt wrote:maby? we never know for sure.one jacket can have a middle placed pocket, on another it can have a higher placed. I believe the wested standard height is the correct way to go.
Holt, you're starting to annoy me with your: '"Maybe. We never know for sure".

Take a look at this picture:
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3170/287 ... c20d_o.jpg

It's the same type of inside pocket as the one in Novak's Raiders jacket.

So what we do know for sure is that at least one jacket in the movie had this type of inside pocket.

That's all we need to know about a SA inside Raiders pocket.

8)
Last edited by Rom Hunter on Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I think Holt was speaking about the pocket placement, not the pocket type. But I'm not sure. :|
Rom Hunter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Rom Hunter »

Yes, but J!m's question was about the type, not the height.

8)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Rom Hunter wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:maby? we never know for sure.one jacket can have a middle placed pocket on another can have a higher. I believe the wested standard height is the correct way to go.

So what we do know for sure is that at least one jacket in the movie had this type of inside pocket.

8)

so you get annoyed by it huh? well......okay :roll: :lol: ...

when I say we never know for sure is becasue we dont have seen all ten inside jacket pockets.of course i see that the temple jacket has a slit pocket.I am 100% sure about it.I am not blind you know,but I am not 100% sure that all ten of them had it.

does all ten jackets have the same yolk? no.

does all ten jackets have the same pockets? no

does all ten jackets have the same lining? no

does all ten jackets have the same straps? no

does all ten jackets have the same collar? no

does all ten jackets have the same inside pocket? I dont know. we dont see them on screen as much as we do with the other details....so we can NEVER say for sure.

following?

but again.of course I am not blind.that pocket in the picture you posted has a slit,and the jacket Tony copied has the slit but thats only these 2 jackets....what about the others? not saying that I believe that all had the heavy bound leather inside pockets.I believe that they DONT have them.I believe that all of the ten had inside slit pockets....but again.my point is.....what do we really KNOW for sure about the others? 8)
Last edited by Holt on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

and just to say this.but read the next line carefully.this is only my own speculation..

the LC production jacket is way different then the LC jackets shown on film.

I could believe that the LC production jacket is a old raiders jacket with snaps installed on them.why not? this is why.....

the lining is cotton. = raiders

the yolk is a higer yolk.= raiders

the arm seam is one inch below the yolk. = raiders

the straps are long with Xbox pattern. = raiders

the pockets are taller. = raiders

the body is slimmer. = raiders

the collar. = raiders

the collarstand. = raiders

the collarstand is cotton.(some raiders had cotton collarstands)

the hem sticth is there. = raiders

and the inside pocket is heavy inbound.....

but again.my own speculations.if someone have proof that this really IS a LC jacket then I ok.no arguement from my side.but until then I can believe that this is an old raiders jacket modyfied into a LC. and thats why my friend I say that we can not know for sure that all raiders jackets had the slit pocket.what if the ''LC'' production jacket is an old raiders jacket from the archives? it has not a slit....
Last edited by Holt on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Holt, as far as Tony's Indy 1 is concerned, you can figure the inside pocket is correct. Heck, the man went so far as to count the number of zipper teeth on the original he had! ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Just received a quick note from Tony concerning my question regarding if the new Raider 1 jacket was made from his CS leather yet. The answer was 'no'. He has not made any Raiders 1 jackets out of the CS leather to date.

Regards! Michaelson
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yeah I know my friend.

thats not the point,I am not talking about the jacket Tony copied...I only said there are more then just one original jacket.maby one other jacket had heavy bound inside pockets? who knows? I dont.

I looks like many is thinking that I think TN is wrong.and that there is only 1 originaljacket,since rom hunter is showing only that photo of the temple jacket,I am not arguing over that jacket.,I am not arguing at all...I know there is a slit pockets in the jackets. to give you the truth I dont like the heavy inbound inside pockets even hate them..my only point was that what do we know about the OTHER jackets in the film?are all with slits or are there some,maby one or 2 with heavy inbound pockets?

but Ill drop it.it seems that people think I want to start something here. I dont.. :lol: I just wanted to make my point clear...

H
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Like I posted the other day, I rarely have the social graces not to post.

This is one of those times. :)

I'm not trying to speak for Holt, but I get his point. The jacket you get from Tony (if you don't modify anything) has the specifications correct for the jacket he had. But you can't make a blanket statement (not that anyone is necessarily trying this) that all the jackets had this or that feature because the jackets were so fluid in design.

One of the biggest lessons I've learned so far in this hobby is that there is no one Raiders jacket. There is certainly a Raiders design but the specifics are different. You want a jacket that is close as you can get to the Hovito temple? This can be done. You want a jacket that is as close as you can get to the flying wing jacket? Again, this can be done but it will have different specifics to the temple jacket.

And to bring it all back ;-) , did the Hawaiian jacket have a slit pocket? Yes. Did all of the Raiders jackets have a slit pocket? Probably but we can never be sure.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

did the Hawaiian jacket have a slit pocket? Yes. Did all of the Raiders jackets have a slit pocket? Probably but we can never be sure.

Thank you!!

this was my point..I know that the temple jacket had the slit.I know the jacket Tony copied had the slit.BUT did ALL of them have this feature? who knows? but I believe that they did,but I cant confirm it.so...maby?
Last edited by Holt on Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Marc wrote:Tony has one of Steve's hats ;-)

Regards,

Marc
he should wear it in the pictures then :P ! ahah !
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

So has anyone here placed an order for an Indy I in any of the other leather choices?

I plan on placing mine with Tony this afternoon. (or as soon as he's awake since I'm on the East Coast) I'm pretty sure I'm going for the matte lamb, with an EXACT replica of the jacket he briefly had in his possession. No altered specs other than sizing :whip:

I feel giddy. :mrgreen:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

indyrocks wrote:So has anyone here placed an order for an Indy I in any of the other leather choices?

I plan on placing mine with Tony this afternoon. (or as soon as he's awake since I'm on the East Coast) I'm pretty sure I'm going for the matte lamb, with an EXACT replica of the jacket he briefly had in his possession. No altered specs other than sizing :whip:

SWEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Indiana G wrote:
indyrocks wrote:So has anyone here placed an order for an Indy I in any of the other leather choices?

SWEEEEEEEEEEETTT!!!
I know man. I know. I pawned off ALL my gear. (Well almost all of it. I do have one thing I won't give up no matter what O:) )

I'm excited though. I decided that I wanted a jacket that would last me many years. I love Wested's jackets, but the bottom line is they aren't built to last a long time. I think you're fairly getting what you pay for in each case. I'm not knocking Wested in any way but I've simply come to want different things in a Indy jacket.

In other words, yes, I've been converted.
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Williams wrote:Wow, not one comment about the photos I posted :o I gotta say folks Im really suprised. Tony was very adamant that I get these posted ASAP so you all could see.
Cool pics. I saw them at the shop myself. I even got to see Terry's jacket. :mrgreen:
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Holt wrote:
Rom Hunter wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:maby? we never know for sure.one jacket can have a middle placed pocket on another can have a higher. I believe the wested standard height is the correct way to go.

8)

so you get annoyed by it huh? well......okay :roll: :lol: ...

when I say we never know for sure is becasue we dont have seen all ten inside jacket pockets.of course i see that the temple jacket has a slit pocket.I am 100% sure about it.I am not blind you know,but I am not 100% sure that all ten of them had it.

does all ten jackets have the same yolk? no.

does all ten jackets have the same pockets? no

does all ten jackets have the same lining? no

does all ten jackets have the same straps? no

does all ten jackets have the same collar? no

does all ten jackets have the same inside pocket? I dont know. we dont see them on screen as much as we do with the other details....so we can NEVER say for sure.

following?

but again.of course I am not blind.that pocket in the picture you posted has a slit,and the jacket Tony copied has the slit but thats only these 2 jackets....what about the others? not saying that I believe that all had the heavy bound leather inside pockets.I believe that they DONT have them.I believe that all of the ten had inside slit pockets....but again.my point is.....what do we really KNOW for sure about the others? 8)

The jacket that Tony copied definitely has a slightly wider storm flap than the one that G&B copied.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

IW, some of us are just now seeing the photos for the first time!

WOW!!! :shock:

Thank YOU for sharing, and thank Tony too!!! :)

Regard! Michaelson
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Well after being one of the first to roll my eyes at Tony's jacket and the first to coin the phrase dinosaurhide.. I have to admit to be eagerly awaiting my own Raider jacket from Mr. Nowak's finest stegasaurus. I probably need my head testing for spending such an amount on a short leather jacket - but, after seeing the pics of Bink's and Tony's jackets at the QM, there was no doubt in my mind - they have the most authentic looking Raiders jackets I have ever seen outside of the movie itself. In comparison, all the other jackets look to me like Indiana Jones jackets- but Tony Nowak's is the Raiders jacket.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Is it just me, or is it starting to feel like Invasion of the Body Snatchers around here? ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

We have our moments around here, yes. :lol: ;-)

Regard! Michaelson
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

As has been said here before "sooner or later Big Tony's gonna getcha !!!!!".......Hatch
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I still stand by my point that :P eventhough nice, the first 1000 dollars I spent in the near future is on a Gibson Les Paul ( probably over that amount ) but still 8)
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

well, if I had more money at the moment, I would have had one on order by now, but allas. I just have to hope they don't sell-out too soon.

Regards, Geert
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Dutch_jones wrote:I still stand by my point that :P eventhough nice, the first 1000 dollars I spent in the near future is on a Gibson Les Paul ( probably over that amount ) but still 8)
One of the reasons I don't have that kind of money ;-)

Regards, Geert
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

whiskyman wrote:Well after being one of the first to roll my eyes at Tony's jacket and the first to coin the phrase dinosaurhide.. I have to admit to be eagerly awaiting my own Raider jacket from Mr. Nowak's finest stegasaurus. I probably need my head testing for spending such an amount on a short leather jacket - but, after seeing the pics of Bink's and Tony's jackets at the QM, there was no doubt in my mind - they have the most authentic looking Raiders jackets I have ever seen outside of the movie itself. In comparison, all the other jackets look to me like Indiana Jones jackets- but Tony Nowak's is the Raiders jacket.
Echoing a lot of my own thoughts. As a matter of fact, I was looking for a particular post and came across one of my own where I said I wanted the temple jacket and wouldn't be getting one of these.

Hmm, crow isn't that bad with ketchup! :lol:
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

gwyddion wrote:
Dutch_jones wrote:I still stand by my point that :P eventhough nice, the first 1000 dollars I spent in the near future is on a Gibson Les Paul ( probably over that amount ) but still 8)
One of the reasons I don't have that kind of money ;-)

Regards, Geert

Yea a decent Les Paul is gonna be at least twice that. However my 1966 strat sort of takes the desire for any thing else away. 8)

Just think, if I sold it I could buy all the remaining 888......
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

I'm fortunate enough to already have my Les Paul :)
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

whiskyman wrote:I'm fortunate enough to already have my Les Paul :)
yeah I know, ITS GORGEOS ! I guess over here i'll get an Epiphone version first :P as that is much more affordable :P.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thats how I was able to buy my Nowak. I had to sell my 50th anniversary Strat but I would never sell my Les Paul. [-(
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

What's up with this universal Les Paul love? Yes, they are beautifully and well made. But fairly undiverse. You get one sound with a Les Paul. You can just do so much more with a strat.....

Ok ok back on topic now sorry!
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Indiana Williams wrote:Thats how I was able to buy my Nowak. I had to sell my 50th anniversary Strat but I would never sell my Les Paul. [-(
hehe Ouch yes, I've got it the other way around I was thinking about selling my entire raiders costume :| which is 90 pct complete and also SA... but I decided not too :|
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

Dutch_jones wrote:
Indiana Williams wrote:Thats how I was able to buy my Nowak. I had to sell my 50th anniversary Strat but I would never sell my Les Paul. [-(
hehe Ouch yes, I've got it the other way around I was thinking about selling my entire raiders costume :| which is 90 pct complete and also SA... but I decided not too :|
Hah! I basically did sell my whole Raiders costume......I just got sick of having what felt like a costume piece and wanted something to withstand the real world.
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

indyrocks wrote:What's up with this universal Les Paul love? Yes, they are beautifully and well made. But fairly undiverse. You get one sound with a Les Paul. You can just do so much more with a strat.....

Well I flipped the magnet of my front pickup à la Peter Green - which gives a wider tonal range. But I just like the more substantial feel of a Les Paul. It's like holding a piece of furniture.

Anyway, jackets... I'm proud to be the first person in Austria to be receiving Tony's Raiders jacket. Should be here at the beginning of December.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

whiskyman wrote:
indyrocks wrote:What's up with this universal Les Paul love? Yes, they are beautifully and well made. But fairly undiverse. You get one sound with a Les Paul. You can just do so much more with a strat.....

Well I flipped the magnet of my front pickup à la Peter Green - which gives a wider tonal range. But I just like the more substantial feel of a Les Paul. It's like holding a piece of furniture.

Anyway, jackets... I'm proud to be the first person in Austria to be receiving Tony's Raiders jacket. Should be here at the beginning of December.

Congratulations! Whiskeyman do you get alot of snow in your area around this time?
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

whiskyman wrote:

What was the turnaround time that Tony quoted you whiskyman?