Christy's Adventurer!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Thanks for the compliments, guys! Greatly appreciated!

Erri, this hat is a 57. My head measurement is 22 3/8", so I actually sit between a 57 and 58. That little bit of snugness gives my hats a small subtle distortion in the crown, almost a reverse taper. I like it better than buying the next size up and stuffing the sweatband with padding.

Kind regards,
Craig
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I'm guessing you're a long oval uh?

Again, nice hat!
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Erri wrote:I'm guessing you're a long oval uh?

Again, nice hat!
Actually, no. I'm a regular oval. The turn alone is giving me that signature warped brim. I'm just in between sizes as far as circumference goes. Makes it tough to find a good-fitting hat that's not too snug! I'm waiting on my AB - my first custom hat!! Can't wait!! :)

Kind regards,
Craig
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Just ordered a sable (size 62) cannot wait and a great price too! :)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

62 wow that is a big size :lol:
serrecuir wrote:
Erri wrote:I'm guessing you're a long oval uh?

Again, nice hat!
Actually, no. I'm a regular oval. The turn alone is giving me that signature warped brim. I'm just in between sizes as far as circumference goes. Makes it tough to find a good-fitting hat that's not too snug!
Yes I can imagine. My Christy's 59 is, gladly, a perfect fit and I understand why Ford turned it, it makes it stay stuck on the head but without the need to go to a smaller size that would just give headaches. It's not really big news but I noticed it when compared to an unturned hat of the same size.

If you feel like posting a 360° of your hat it would be great, I'm curious to see the sides and the back.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Today my new Sable Adventurer arrived at my door! Compared to my gray one the ribbon is placed a bit lower and the bow is a bit nicer. Overall the hat is also softer than my other Christy´s.
I bashed it after the Well of Souls scene and turned it.

Sorry for the bad picture

http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u202 ... 07/ch1.jpg
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

nice Tremolo! wish my Christy's look'd like that. mine is just desperate after a reblock :lol:

CJ
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Chilliana, why don't you try one of those hat shapers we've seen around here lately. I'm sure that might make it better. I don't think you want to risk ripping the hat in half in a re-block.

Dave
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

i have actually been thinking about getting one of those. this may be the right time ;-)

CJ
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Chiliana if you are considering a reblock you might want to contact Hornethats and send them the hat (don't try a home reblock in any case).
Tremolo wrote: Sorry for the bad picture
Bad picture but great looking hat! :lol:
Don't worry about the stiffness, it wears off pretty quickly.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I concur, great looking hat !
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Thanks for the compliments! Since I took the pic the front pinch loosened up a bit. Now it looks a bit more naturally ;-)
Next week I´ll try to take some better pictures
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Could someone here who has an Adventurer in light Sable post some outdoor pictures?
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

HEADS UP

Post by Indiana Greg »

... down to >$75 USD thanks to today's 6.5 year low of the pound. vs. $$
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Here is my hat which came yesterday. Sorry for the bash, I am a novice and have no experience with this. Anyway, for the money, it is such a fantastic hat!

flash

Here are some shots using natural light (shown against my Wested)

so, how do I get that raiders "swoop" look, especially since the back brim of the hat is turned upwards?
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

You have to turn the hat on your head so that the bow is closer to your forhead and not directly over your ear. Your lucky as you haven't put a very sharp Raider's pinch in your hat. Just pop it out and turn it slightly. Do a search and you'll find a couple of fantastic raiders bashing guide. Ford simply turned the back of the brim upward when he was putting the hat on and that gave the turn upwards. Hope this helps :)

Cheers
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

Here's a pretty good guide for the Raiders look and explains the steps a whole lot better than me :lol:

http://www.adventure-realm.com/raidersbash.html

Cheers
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

wow, thanks!!!! This helps alot! :lol:
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Erri wrote:Since this is the dedicated Christy's thread, just for the records, I'll add my Christy's seaplane grey raiders hat (the colour is "burma" actually)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... rBash2.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... rBash3.jpg

...more to be found here: viewtopic.php?t=36083
I really like this hat - especially that colour. (You've given it a spot on shape too) I was going to get a Fed IV after Christmas, but I think I may have to get one of these instead, for when I'm feeling "man about town". My light sable adventurer is strictly for the countryside only.

Apologies for the multiple posts below - I had browser problems. Hopefully they'll be removed soon...
Last edited by Montana Hannah on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Taken care of, Montana. There have been some technical issues yesterday (and it looks like they might still be around) so I've seen a few multiple posts in places. My suggestion is if you get an error message when you send your post, open a new window and check the thread to make sure it hasn't already posted before trying again. Hopefully we'll get the kinks worked out soon! ;-)

(Edit: Actually, it just happened to me when posting this reply, and upon checking as I just suggested, it posted fine)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Am I wrong or my post ACTUALLY disappeared? :shock:
:lol:

Thanks Montana for your compliments. The colour is fantastic I think but, as I said in my dedicated thread, it's not grey, it's Burma... it's something between brown, green and grey... but most often it looks grey especially in indoor pictures.
Don't forget to ask for a wider ribbon if you're going for a seaplane hat!

Cheers

;-)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Um, Erri... did you just quote the entire post, including pictures? If so, I may have mistook it for one of the reposts, since there were three or four duplicate posts in a row. If so, sorry about that. :oops:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

No worries bink, my post is there afterall (thanks to Montana who quoted it).
;-)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yes, I dee what happened. It was Montana who quoted with all the pictures! It's his fault! :lol: :[
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

binkmeisterRick wrote: It was Montana who quoted with all the pictures! It's his fault! :lol: :[
He he! As Marlowe said in Farewell My Lovely "I start trouble on the side." ;-)

I've had a look at the Burma on Hornets' site. It does looks really nice - grey or brown depending on how you think about it (and considering that for a long time no-one was sure if the sea-plane hat was grey or brown, I think this is why it looks so close). I think it would look really good with my dove grey Crombie overcoat. I'll be sure to ask for that ribbon! Now all I need is a generous gift of cash from my parents this Christmas...
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Montana Hannah wrote:considering that for a long time no-one was sure if the sea-plane hat was grey or brown, I think this is why it looks so close
I can only agree with you Montana Hannah.

If you get one after the Christmas dosh don't forget to post it here, I'm sure you will be satisfied by the product. ;-)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Montana Hannah wrote:
Erri wrote:Since this is the dedicated Christy's thread, just for the records, I'll add my Christy's seaplane grey raiders hat (the colour is "burma" actually)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... rBash2.jpg

...more to be found here: viewtopic.php?t=36083

WOW! :shock:

That color is the closest I've seen to the seaplane hat in Raiders.....In fact I think it's a dead ringer.......

If I ever decide to go for a "gray" Raiders hat I want that color. Very cool.... 8)
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Erri wrote:
Montana Hannah wrote:considering that for a long time no-one was sure if the sea-plane hat was grey or brown, I think this is why it looks so close
I can only agree with you Montana Hannah.

If you get one after the Christmas dosh don't forget to post it here, I'm sure you will be satisfied by the product. ;-)
I'm sorely tempted to get one before Christmas! I like to look kinda dapper at this time of year! I'm spending hogmanay in Edinburgh, and I think one of these would go down well.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Pitfall Harry wrote: WOW! :shock:

That color is the closest I've seen to the seaplane hat in Raiders.....In fact I think it's a dead ringer.......

If I ever decide to go for a "gray" Raiders hat I want that color. Very cool.... 8)
Thank you Pitfall Harry, nice to see positive comments from other users (...other than from the usual -but most welcome- "Christy's appreciators"). I was suprised that almost no one has noticed it considering the wide interest that the grey raiders hat actually has on the board... unless people observe but refrain from commenting, for one reason or another.

Anyway I'm glad you think so. I am too a believer that the Christy's Burma is the closest we've ever seen.

You can also find some more pictures in my previous thread viewtopic.php?t=36083

Montana Hannah wrote: I'm sorely tempted to get one before Christmas! I like to look kinda dapper at this time of year! I'm spending hogmanay in Edinburgh, and I think one of these would go down well.
What's 50 quids these days afterall? :twisted:
;-)
Montana Hannah
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Montana Hannah »

Erri wrote: What's 50 quids these days afterall? :twisted:
;-)
About the cost of a loaf of bread! :lol:
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Erri wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote: WOW! :shock:

Thank you Pitfall Harry, nice to see positive comments from other users (...other than from the usual -but most welcome- "Christy's appreciators"). I was suprised that almost no one has noticed it considering the wide interest that the grey raiders hat actually has on the board... unless people observe but refrain from commenting, for one reason or another.

Anyway I'm glad you think so. I am too a believer that the Christy's Burma is the closest we've ever seen.

You can also find some more pictures in my previous thread viewtopic.php?t=36083

Well, I know there's been some "discussions" going on about the actual durability and the quality of the Christy's hats and *maybe* that's the reason people haven't taken notice of this particular hat's color.

I do hope more people notice it because to me it definitely looks like the seaplane Raiders hat.

Spielberg confirmed Indy's travel hat was always supposed to be gray and they drove that point home in KOTCS, with his very obviously gray hat. :lol:

I REALLY wish they would have gone back and tried to capture the color of the Raiders Seaplane hat because I prefer the darker gray color over the lighter gray he wore in KOTCS.

This hat looks like a winner to me and you can't beat the price. ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Pitfall Harry wrote: Well, I know there's been some "discussions" going on about the actual durability and the quality of the Christy's hats and *maybe* that's the reason people haven't taken notice of this particular hat's color.

I do hope more people notice it because to me it definitely looks like the seaplane Raiders hat.

[..]This hat looks like a winner to me and you can't beat the price.
Thanks Pit, yes it is likely to be one of the reasons although I didn't find the felt to be that bad, afterall it's like having a HJ for £50 (HJ retails at £199), you just don't beat that! lol.
It's not beaver, that's for sure but I've seen a few Federations myself and I wasn't too fussed about that felt. Even if it's higher quality it doesn't react as I would like an Indy hat to do, just my honest opinion. That they hold the shape longer... mmh that is still to be prooved. Steve and Marc received plenty of Akubras to reblock in these years so that I believe the akubra felt is not that "mighty" either.

Well anyway, if people will care of taking note of this colour or not I don't particularly care (if they are happy with the moonstone and the carbon grey as a Raiders grey, I'm more than happy for them)... actually the least people buying these hats the better, I don't want Christy's to realize that they could speculate over us and double the cost of their hats. :lol:
Pitfall Harry wrote: Spielberg confirmed Indy's travel hat was always supposed to be gray and they drove that point home in KOTCS, with his very obviously gray hat. :lol:

I REALLY wish they would have gone back and tried to capture the color of the Raiders Seaplane hat because I prefer the darker gray color over the lighter gray he wore in KOTCS.
Well as we have learnt after years of harsh disputes, to identify THE colour of that grey hat is not kids play.

I'm off to bed to read my Sherlock Holmes now... thanks again for the nice comments, I'll see if I can post any more pictures outside in the next days although I do not have any seaplane parked here in Florence... it's time to start wondering about a trip to San Fran! :whip:
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

I'm looking to get a decent fed and this thread really has swung the Christys for me. Until now I'd been cheking out the Fed IV. But I'll prob go with the light sable AND that burma colour. Looks dead on to the clipper to me. Well done Erri for brining this one up. will probably get the 'grey' before xmas as I'm lookin to be a bit swish for Hogmany ;)
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I just recieved two of these Christy's a few days ago. They are identical in sweats, ribbon and felt to the current HJs, so this is the same hat, made by the same folks that make the HJs. I already knew this of course.

These two hats are also identical in blockshape to the current HJ. And, I see some great inconsistencies with what I got, and what some of you guys have posted. A few of these Christy's on this thread actually look very, very good. Just not the ones that I got in!! Daylight and darkness, on the difference. So, I am trying to figure out WHY, all don't look like the good ones posted here. You guys are lucky is all I can say. If you get one of these good ones, I think the look is very good. But, from this thread, and using what I got as examples, it looks like a @#$% shoot. These two here at the shop came from Hornet Hats. I assume all of the good hats posted on this thread are from Hornet?? Or is it that you get the good hat from Christy? I would love to see one of these good ones, open crown. Perhaps the next guy that gets a good one will post the pics of it open crown before he creases it. I would love to take a couple shots of the ones sent to me, by a customer(for reblock) along side of one of these good hats, so I could see the difference in blocks used. Fedora
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

Fedora,
The probability of hitting upon some of these "inconsistancies" is what has kept me from ordering a third Adventurer. I've been very fortunate in the two I ordered, feeling that they were at least in the "good" catagory you described. I also got one out in the rain, and while I didn't have any dye issues and shrinkage was not immediately observable, I think it shrank unevenly. That is to say, it kinda leaned over to one side a bit*, and no amount of shaping or stern talking to could fix it. However, it did survive a reblock and is back on my head.
Original block:
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... G_0305.jpg

Reblock: (sorry it's only half the hat - the pic was to illustrate something else, and is the only new pic I have )
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... 2670-1.jpg **

The block is a western like the kind you might see Indians wearing open crown in the southwest. I had it done at a hatter here in town.
Anyway, in terms of a hundred dollar hat, I think, unless you buy vintage, sadly you will not be able to get a better dress hat at this price. AT THIS PRICE! I realize it's just a short hop to the Akubras, but ( except for that danged ribbon ) the Christys' is just a better looking ( more refined ) hat to start with. Also, I initially stated ( either at the top of this thread, or it's original incarnation ) that this was along the lines of a modern Stetson. I'd like to revise that statement, at least as far as my experiences go. I think a Stetson Soveriegn is a step up after all, purely in terms of quality. But, back to price, the Soveriegns are a $20 to $40 dollar jump in price.
As for an Indy hat, it's still the best costume hat for the price, and can take a bit more abuse than people think. The camps seem to have split ( SA vs Practicality ) and then reconviened somewhere to form a supercamp that wants SA and Practicality. Just look at the Jacket thread. It's not going to happen. Period. Not for under $1500 dollars to start for just the jacket and hat ( AB/Penman...Nowak CS type jacket ). The Christys' still looks most like it just came off the screen as far as a stock hat goes.
Oh yeah...mine was a hornetshats.

Erri - The seaplane is awfully nice! Luckily I have an old Stetson in grey that fits that bill for now, so I don't have to drop it (yet!).

Stetson Twenty ( not quite Indy, but MY seaplane hat ;-) )

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... IM2011.jpg

EDIT
**pics added on page six of this thread
***pics added on page six of this thread
Last edited by kiltie on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Great hat Kiltie and I agree with all you said. Thanks for the compliments on the "grey" hat ;-)
Fedora wrote: A few of these Christy's on this thread actually look very, very good. Just not the ones that I got in!! Daylight and darkness, on the difference.
Steve, please post the pictures of the hats you received. Of the two I've ordered I always got a good straight open crown (I think I already posted picture of my sable). I haven't heard of people getting them brand new already tapered, that's why I'm surprised about the two you ordered. Yes I believe all of us ordered from hornetshats.co.uk because Christy's sells only through them to single customers.

Christy's sable - Christy's burma - Vintage grey HJ
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... wChri6.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... G_7689.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... G_7705.jpg
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Erri, you gotta do something about that nasty unibrow in that second pic. :lol: ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Your comment came earlier than I expected bink :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Hey, I didn't want to disappoint you. :lol: ;-)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I still can't get over the Burma hat color...... :shock:

So, if the Christies hats are HJ hats then the seaplane hat was a HJ which means they've had that color the entire time and up until now no one has noticed it?? :-k

Steve, from your post it seems to me that your implying that the photos posted of these hats from other members have been altered since the ones you received weren't worth a darn. :o

To me a $100 is still quite a bit of cash to be throwing around for any piece of gear.......I just can't imagine people buying these hats and posting that they're great and happy with them IF they actually weren't. That just wouldn't make any sense. I have to believe if these hats really weren't worth a darn then a lot of these owners would be complaining and warning the rest of us.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think your missing what Steve meant, Pitfall. What I got from Steve was that these hats are hit or miss. If you look at some of the hats that guys have recieved here, they have tapered quite badly very quickly and for very little reason. We have been lucky. I've been caught in light rain with no ill effects, but I remember a while back somone posted some photos of their Christy's after using a bit of water to shape the crown (something I did as well, though it didn't really need it) and the hat looked like the plane hat from Temple. These are hit or miss and $100 is alot of money to take a gamble on but from what we've seen, Hornets is more than willing to help out its customers if they get a bad egg.

Dave
Tyderium
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tyderium »

Yep, I can attest to this.
Received a Christie's from Hornet's a few months ago that had bad taper right out of the box, something I wasn't expecting after seeing some of the great examples posted here and in the old Christies thread. I decided to keep it as a knock about and it has come up ok. The colour is the best thing about it. If I ordered another I would definitely have them check it before it was sent out ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

DR Ulloa wrote:These are hit or miss and $100 is alot of money to take a gamble on but from what we've seen, Hornets is more than willing to help out its customers if they get a bad egg.

Dave
I don't know Dave, $100 don't seem to be such a big sum of money in our hobby these days, especially for the hat (the hat itself actually converts into $73+ postage... and it's not a factory made hat, it's hand made) but I agree with you that Hornets customer service is very helpful. In my experience it is one of the best I've ever dealt with, they are extremely kind and if there is any problem they are always ready to substitute/repair "faulty" goods.
Pitfall Harry wrote: So, if the Christies hats are HJ hats then the seaplane hat was a HJ which means they've had that color the entire time and up until now no one has noticed it?? :-k
Well, since the 80's many things have changed, colour dyes included. I doubt that they have kept the same exact colour through the years. As I already implied in my thread about my hat, the Burma is not necessarily THE colour from Raiders but it's the closest thing that we could find around (and for £50 a hat)... and very ### close too.
As for no one spotting it before, well, a part from the general snobbishness that usually spreads around people when talking about the Christy's hats... a few individuals (such as Dutch for example) have been pointing at this colour for ages but people just kept replying "not really, the Burma wouldn't work at all... this one (a gray colour) is much better" or not replying at all. I had to invest a few £ to prove this to be right but afterall I've been wanting a grey for a long time so it was a pleasure for me to purchase it "for the sake of public knowledge" :lol:

Now the "cat is out of the bag", we will see what the general response is. Personally I wouldn't mind if it goes unnoticed as it has been till now and like many other good information on this board because, as I said, the least to buy these hats the more probability that Christy's won't increase the price of their products.
ANJALI
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by ANJALI »

Fedora wrote:I just recieved two of these Christy's a few days ago. They are identical in sweats, ribbon and felt to the current HJs, so this is the same hat, made by the same folks that make the HJs. I already knew this of course.

These two hats are also identical in blockshape to the current HJ. And, I see some great inconsistencies with what I got, and what some of you guys have posted. A few of these Christy's on this thread actually look very, very good. Just not the ones that I got in!! Daylight and darkness, on the difference. So, I am trying to figure out WHY, all don't look like the good ones posted here. You guys are lucky is all I can say. If you get one of these good ones, I think the look is very good. But, from this thread, and using what I got as examples, it looks like a @#$% shoot. These two here at the shop came from Hornet Hats. I assume all of the good hats posted on this thread are from Hornet?? Or is it that you get the good hat from Christy? I would love to see one of these good ones, open crown. Perhaps the next guy that gets a good one will post the pics of it open crown before he creases it. I would love to take a couple shots of the ones sent to me, by a customer(for reblock) along side of one of these good hats, so I could see the difference in blocks used. Fedora

I said the same thing in a post (disapeared now) about this hat when I received it.
It's a good looking hat with the same characteristic features of the HJ...same body. But the felt is different. Not so thick and seems to be on a better quality althoug you must not go under a big rain...:x
The brim sizes are also different. In fact, I find the size very good for me.
When I received my Christy's, they were a little bit tappered:? .but...to have a perfect form of the top bashed, you must start with a perfect form a the beginning. So, it's why to have "right" sides, I've been obliged to choose a "telescopic" bashing. Otherwise, It's impossible to have the "look" we are looking for. Anyway, pictures of hats not "on a head" don't mean much.
We can arrange, fix, the hat to have the good "look". On a head, it's more difficult...and we must expect on the wide angle of cameras which changes the "form" (in a good way or a bad way...)
But...for the quality and the price offered...it's a good very good opportunity...
I prefer the look I have with this hat than this I have with the Fed IV even it's not the "Graal"
Sorry for my bad english
Anjali
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

I assume all of the good hats posted on this thread are from Hornet?? Or is it that you get the good hat from Christy? I would love to see one of these good ones, open crown. Perhaps the next guy that gets a good one will post the pics of it open crown before he creases it. I would love to take a couple shots of the ones sent to me, by a customer(for reblock) along side of one of these good hats, so I could see the difference in blocks used. Fedora
I forgot about this part of the post. I see Erri has posted a coupla pics of his open; good he had the foresight. I got just one pic of mine, taken with my camera phone and on the bow side.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj29 ... 0284-1.jpg

This was part of a longer series of pics in which I was going to document the Indy hat process. This picture was taken at a western store, where I took the hat to have the brim trimmed a bit. The next pic in the series shows the brim with a gouge in it :shock: where the guy bound up his little trimming tool due to the "floppiness" of the felt. Thankfully good customer service prevailed, and they immediately cashed me out for a new hat, AND I kept this one. Thats how I ended up with two Adventurers ( it wasn't too hard to fix the brim - just a little on the narrow side now. Sorta LC with Raiders crease...).
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

the shape of this block reminds me so much of the famous vintage HJ block...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/e ... log-vi.jpg

It's a shame for the few people who received a tapered block but "normally" it should come "straight". When it doesn't come as you wanted you can (and you have to) send it back. The customer service at hornethats is extremely helping.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

Fedora would you be so kind to show some photos of these hats you received? I find it weird that you received unworkable hats and everyone else seems to get pretty darn close to the Raiders hats with these....?
DR Ulloa wrote:I think your missing what Steve meant, Pitfall. What I got from Steve was that these hats are hit or miss. If you look at some of the hats that guys have recieved here, they have tapered quite badly very quickly and for very little reason. We have been lucky. I've been caught in light rain with no ill effects, but I remember a while back somone posted some photos of their Christy's after using a bit of water to shape the crown (something I did as well, though it didn't really need it) and the hat looked like the plane hat from Temple. These are hit or miss and $100 is alot of money to take a gamble on but from what we've seen, Hornets is more than willing to help out its customers if they get a bad egg.

Dave
No offense but the damage to his hat was NOT just form water you could clearly see that hat was squashed/ beaten or sat on.
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Has anyone put a Young Indy bash into one of these hats? If so please share some pics :) I'm thinking of ordering one and giving it a YIJ bash.
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Hopefully by the end of the week I can post some pictures of a Christy´s with a Young Indy bash (Springbreak Adventure/Love´s sweet song).
I think the block shape should make a really nice YIJC fedora.
Indy89, which YIJC look are you looking for? The early episodes or the later ones?