Good fedoras that aren't for Indy? Where, how much?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Good fedoras that aren't for Indy? Where, how much?

Post by blueoakleyz »

I just got a Fed 4 and it's great for Indy
I'd like to get more fedoras but they don't have to be fur felt or expensive, preferably nothing over $50..

is thefedorastore good?
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I'll move this to the Fedora section, you may get more reponses there...
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Well, you may not be looking for an expensive hat, but you still get what you pay for. A $50 hat won't hold up as well as other hats (and I'm not even talking about a fine handmade hat). I haven't got any experience with The Fedora Store, but you may want to check out Akubra. They make a lot more than just the Federation. It's a little more than $50, but you'll probably end up with a nicer hat. I was considering getting one of their Homburgs, myself.

http://www.hatsdirect.com/cgi-bin/produ ... edora+Hats
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

You might want to try www.hatsinthebelfry.com . They have a decent selection of fedoras. Also try www.villagehatshop.com .

Dave
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

Hi,

I had good experience with

http://www.hats-plus.com/default.aspx

This said, if your buget is about $50, I think you are in the league of wool felt hats, which are not the quality of fur felt hats, not to mention fine quality fur felt hats. I would recommend to spare a little more and go for, at least, a low end fur felt.

Of course, many people have wool felt hats and are happy with them, so it's your call.

Regards!
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

The vendors listed so far won't let you down, but hat quality is really a matter of manufacturer and material. Under $50 pretty much insures that you won't get much more than a fair-weather wool felt "looks nice" kind of hat. If that's what you go for, brand won't matter too much.

If you step up to fur felt, Akubra is the greatest value for the money, regardless of the model. Check out everythingaustralia.com because they carry a few that hatsdirect does not. And now's the time, because the exchange rate favors the US Dollar!

Aside from that, Stetsons are fair (though the Temple seems to be a hit-or-miss model), but a little overpriced. Miller Hats (their own brand is actually Biltmore) are also good. If you're willing to go over the $200 mark at any point, I have a short list of hatters that I trust implicitly.
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

havent any personal experience with them but:

http://www.getahaton.com/Mens_Fedoras_S ... s_s/82.htm

got a few cheap hat accessories too:

http://www.getahaton.com/Hat_Accessorie ... s_s/20.htm

CJ
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Chiliana Jones wrote:havent any personal experience with them but:

http://www.getahaton.com/Mens_Fedoras_S ... s_s/82.htm

...I have. GREAT customer service. I can recommend them. Aaron will help you with anything you need. Sign up for their emails and you'll get unadvertised discounts and deals. Also check out his 'blog' he posts discount codes or free shipping codes there often.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

I've said it before and will now once again, Stetson outlet.
$55.00 includes S&H. I have had a great time with my fur Temple and haven't had any of the problems others here have complained about.
My brother got a Stetson 3 forks from there and loves it. For the $50 range it is your best option.
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but try ebay for vintage fedoras. I picked up this one several months back for $25. Its a 70 year old Dobbs. Fur felt, Cavanaugh edge, and extremely soft felt.

twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

If you're willing to spend a bit more for fur, Texan Scott has a really nice thread going about Jimmy Pierce Designs fedoras. Those apparently go for as little as $160. Scott's got some great photos showcasing his collection and JP even posted some photos of his own.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=35845
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Greg »

JeffB wrote:This may not be the answer you are looking for, but try ebay for vintage fedoras. I picked up this one several months back for $25. Its a 70 year old Dobbs. Fur felt, Cavanaugh edge, and extremely soft felt.

I must concur. Unless you have a super-sized bean ( 7 3/8 & up) vintage is the way to go. I recently got a Peter Bros. pure beaver shady oaks banker special, a hat Peter Bros. still sells for over 700 USD, for less than 50 bucks. Even if you do have a larger head; I have scored both sized 7 1/2 & 7 5/8 fedoras w/ some frequency.... my .o2
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Greg wrote: I recently got a Peter Bros. pure beaver shady oaks banker special, a hat Peter Bros. still sells for over 700 USD, for less than 50 bucks.
WOW!!! You got a HECK of a deal!! :shock:

I have one in the beaver blend. VERY nice hat, and doesn't get the wear it deserves. :?

Did yours have the church liner image in the cap?

Regards! Michaelson
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Greg wrote:
JeffB wrote:This may not be the answer you are looking for, but try ebay for vintage fedoras. I picked up this one several months back for $25. Its a 70 year old Dobbs. Fur felt, Cavanaugh edge, and extremely soft felt.

I must concur. Unless you have a super-sized bean ( 7 3/8 & up) vintage is the way to go. I recently got a Peter Bros. pure beaver shady oaks banker special, a hat Peter Bros. still sells for over 700 USD, for less than 50 bucks. Even if you do have a larger head; I have scored both sized 7 1/2 & 7 5/8 fedoras w/ some frequency.... my .o2
I'll concur. Vintage is the only way to go if you want quality at that price. Incidentally, for the most part the quality will be better period, on a vintage hat. The downside of course is that you have to keep you eyes peeled and you won’t be able to choose something specific.