Post your Moonstone & Carbon Gray Fed IV's here....

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post your Moonstone & Carbon Gray Fed IV's here....

Post by Texan Scott »

Just wanted to get an idea of the contrast...post 'em if ya' got 'em! :tup: :ducttape:
Belegnole
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Belegnole »

Unbashed Deluxe Moonstone

picture taken with flash
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Very nice color. Gotta love a grey fedora.

Dave
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

What led you to buy the Moonstone as opposed to the carbon? Preference?
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

And how do you get one? I was on hatsdirect the other day and all i saw was the standard brown and deluxe brown, and black.
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Indiana Joyce wrote:And how do you get one? I was on hatsdirect the other day and all i saw was the standard brown and deluxe brown, and black.
Fed IV Deluxe comes in Dark Brown, Moonstone, Heritage Fawn, and Black. The regular Fed IV comes in Dark Brown, Moonstone, Tawny Fawn, Black, and the Carbon Grey. You have to pull down the colours from a list when you order.
Belegnole
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Belegnole »

Texan Scott wrote:What led you to buy the Moonstone as opposed to the carbon? Preference?

Well it was a long road....lol

I have always liked fedoras, I can remember my father wearing one when I was young. I had a couple of old hats when I was in High School and later I picked up one of the "better" Indy hats while in San Antonio as a member of the Air Force at the best hat store I could find. The Indy went everywhere with me and eventually met it's demise while I was on a canoe trip. I stopped wearing hats from that day on( never have liked caps). Just a few weeks back I was at a friend's and while he was on the way out the door he was looking for a hat. He couldn't find his usual Greek fisherman's cap and grabbed for a fedora I hadn't seen before. It fit him horribly and a couple of us mentioned it, so he plopped it on my head and by chance it fit. It's yours he said and I've been wearing it since. Of course I started looking into hats again and considering my fondness for my old Indy I ended up here. After searching and reading and reading I decided that I would try a FedIV from Hatsdirect but got stumped at the choice of color and quality. After reading a bit more I chose to get the deluxe and still didn't know for sure which color to choose. As I wear both earth tones and Black, grey, blue I kept going back and forth until I thought about what I wear when dressed up. Suits are black or blue....so a grey hat would be in order. I also wear a lot of black tees in the summer so grey again. To top it off I did not choose the hat because I am a fan of the Indy films but because I am a fan of the hat build shape etc. I will continue to collect fedoras I fear but for now this color has a sense of sophistication that drew me....the lighter grey has a great contrast between felt and ribbon and the hat will also not often match anything of mine while it will complement them. But yes I liked the train hat too..... :)
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I went with the moonstone because it's the only grey they offer as a Fed Deluxe. I would also like to get a Carbon Grey sometime, but I figure the exchange rate being so great, it does more for me with the more expensive hat.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Beautiful. My next hat... ;-)
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

So is the carbon gray more blackish (ie, darker) and the moonstone more of a lighter gray?

-Allen
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Yeah, I wish someone had both so we could see a side by side comparison in the same light. The moonstone is a little bit lighter of a grey than I would usually like, and the carbon grey seems a little darker than I would usually like, but I could find occasions to wear each of them, so I guess that means I'll just have to get both. :)
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Ordered a Carbon grey last week. Sadly they are back-ordered in size 58 till end of December :cry:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Really nice looking lids! I like the shade of gray. Thanks for posting. It would be nice for side by side comparison photos, if anyone can? The moonstone is Fed IV Deluxe, while the Carbon gray is Fed IV Standard. Is there is any chance of getting the Carbon gray in a Deluxe in the near future?
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

I have a carbon gray. The color is like a cross between a moonstone and a navy blue. One of these days I'll get around to posting some pictures.
lpa53
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by lpa53 »

cowboy827 wrote:I have a carbon gray. The color is like a cross between a moonstone and a navy blue. One of these days I'll get around to posting some pictures.
Here's my carbon grey Fed IV that I've posted elsewhere on COW.

I was interested in this post because I just started wearing this hat outside this week and noticed something odd. The color definitely changes when held against different greys and in outdoor vs indoor light. My car has grey seats and when I set the hat down on it yesterday, it looked positively green - dark green but green nevertheless - sort of like a Bavarian forest color. Inside it looks dark grey.

has anyone seen this with carbon greys? Is it just something that you get with a "color" as variable as grey? Does the moonstone do the same?

I'll try to get a pic in which this can be seen.
Belegnole
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Belegnole »

I have a 60's Stetson stingy brim that is a color that I might call slate. In some light it looks brownish in other lighting greenish.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I had a light brown Stetson that seemed to change color depending what light it was it. In fact, when I bought the thing, I almost thought it was a grey hat!

:?

On the topic of things changing color, I once had a jacket and pants that were almost the same shade of brown. In artificial light, the jacket was slightly redder, but outdoors, the pants were redder.
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

I notice on the website that "moonstone" is a color option for the regular Fed IV, not just the deluxe, although it doesn't show a picture. Anyone got a regular in moonstone yet or is this just a possible preliminary to production?

-Allen
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

lpa53 wrote:I was interested in this post because I just started wearing this hat outside this week and noticed something odd. The color definitely changes when held against different greys and in outdoor vs indoor light. My car has grey seats and when I set the hat down on it yesterday, it looked positively green - dark green but green nevertheless - sort of like a Bavarian forest color. Inside it looks dark grey.

has anyone seen this with carbon greys? Is it just something that you get with a "color" as variable as grey? Does the moonstone do the same?

I'll try to get a pic in which this can be seen.

...that's interesting, LPA. In certain lighting conditions, etc., the Fed IV is like a Cameleon. In some pics, they appear light blue.
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

LPA - I've noticed the same thing. My car seats are a light gray with black trim, and when I set my hat down, the color looks forest green.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Indy1939 wrote:I notice on the website that "moonstone" is a color option for the regular Fed IV, not just the deluxe, although it doesn't show a picture. Anyone got a regular in moonstone yet or is this just a possible preliminary to production?

-Allen
Fed IV regular is available in moonstone. I have one.....but I can't have it until Christmas. :cry:
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

Jenny just told me that my Carbon Grey size 58 is on the way. will have it 3-4 days. :)

CJ
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Now that I have my Fed IV Dlx in brown, I'm going to have to get another one in Moonstone so that I can wear it with my dark gray pinstripe suit.

It seems to me that the train hat in KOTCS is the closest in color to the Moonstone. Any comments?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's what Ron was shooting for when it was developed.

Regard! Michaelson
Chiliana Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chiliana Jones »

got my carbon grey today. Love it!

next to my fed lV Dlx, brown:

funny thing is that when i opened the box i thought the hat look'd brown- Thought they had sendt me the wrong hat. had to put it next to my brown fed to tell the difference. man, your eyes can really play tricks on you :lol:

regards

CJ
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

What led you to decide on the Fed IV carbon gray?
ronkiyo
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ronkiyo »

Texan Scott wrote:What led you to decide on the Fed IV carbon gray?
the COLOR

You don't believe me? You will become a true believer... :twisted: