TONY NOWAK IS REPLICATING AN ORIGINAL RAIDERS JACKET!!

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Indiana G wrote:
Indiana Williams wrote:Thats a swell lookin' jacket, Bink. Ill be on pins and needles till mine arrives.
IW, your jacket is at tony's now. fedex shows that it has been delivered and i've got a confirming signature that it was accepted. enjoy my friend :)
I guess hes pretty busy today Ive tried calling him all day so he can make the changes I want and get it back in the mail to me. Im sure Ill have it by the end of week.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

he probably picked up more customers over the weekend ;-)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I figured. Im sure the QM brought more people over to the light
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Got the word from the man. Jacket will be ready Wednesday so ill probably have it Friday. Saturday for sure. Thank you, Gil and Tony :notworthy: :notworthy:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Baldwyn wrote:I was joking, Holt :) These new casual pics of the TN Indy I jacket from QM look amazing. Bink's jacket is pitch-perfect from the glimpses.
Actually, Michaelson, I have to admit I started that one. It's amazing how wonderfully stupidly long the whole thing started. What's even more amazing is how easily we're entertained! :lol:

Thanks for the compliments on the jacket, guys. Just ask Dejah, I was giddy for days after Tony presented me with that jacket! In fact, he knew I was coming out a week early before the QM Summit and he insisted I have the jacket before the event. He met up with us at Fort MacArthur (Dejah and I were finalizing details for the summit) and spent the rest of the afternoon with us. Tony is top notch all the way and a true inspiration, in my book.

As for the jacket, it behaves differently from any other Indy jacket I've owned or tried on. It has and is developing all the quirks I associate with the Raiders jacket, especially how the collar wants to lay back and how the zipper wants to curve. And the hide is exceptional. The pictures really do not do it justice. Call it dino if you want, but I know what I have and I LIKE it! I think every other owner of this jacket will agree with me. Heck, Rundquist saw this jacket in person and is getting one himself, if that tells you anything! I have every reason to believe this is the THE jacket. While I may or may not end up with more Indyesque jackets down the road, my quest for THE Raiders jacket has come to an end.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Any word (from QM attendees [lucky %#$!#$@ :twisted: ] or others) on the new hide choices Tony is offering? I'd love to see some samples posted on Tony's website or here.

Hmm, maybe I could call him instead of just mouthing...? :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

crismans wrote:Any word (from QM attendees [lucky %#$!#$@ :twisted: ] or others) on the new hide choices Tony is offering? I'd love to see some samples posted on Tony's website or here.

Hmm, maybe I could call him instead of just mouthing...? :lol:
Funny you should ask. If you can be patient with me (recovering from QM and have over 1 GB of pics to sort through) I took comparison pictures of six different hides Tony had with him at the QM. I plan to start a new thread with that info. I hope to get that posted this week. 8)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Funny you should ask. If you can be patient with me (recovering from QM and have over 1 GB of pics to sort through) I took comparison pictures of six different hides Tony had with him at the QM. I plan to start a new thread with that info. I hope to get that posted this week. 8)
Thanks very much! I look forward to the thread.

And I have to admit, your thoughts carry a lot of weight with me. If you're so taken with this jacket in Tony's original hide selection... :-k

Excuse me, I've got to go start donating plasma...
Bemo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bemo »

Forgive me for perhaps missing something in the 29 pages of this thread, and perhaps Rundquist and Binkmeister can answer this one for me as you two gentlemen are extremely knowledgeable about the jackets and both of you now either own or have inspected the Nowak jacket. But how are the pockets? Earlier in this thread there was discussion about Nowak's pocket shapes (not the proportions per se) versus what's seen on screen? This seemed to garner some discussion before the fixation on the "dino" hide. As folks request changes to Nowak's Indy I jacket I'm having a harder time tracking what the "jacket that matters" really looks like and if it really has passed the test for accuracy. Hope that isn't too confusing. Thanks for the responses.
Treadwell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Treadwell »

Are those even the same jacket? Look at the wear on the shoulder seam, look at the pointy collar.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

_ wrote:
Treadwell wrote:Are those even the same jacket? Look at the wear on the shoulder seam, look at the pointy collar.
The right collar is folded over making it look pointed. See the other side...
Also the light spot on the right shoulder (viewers left) looks more like a reflection in the glass plate to me than wear of the jacket. :-k

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Wow, guys, I appreciate that you think highly of my opinions. While not nearly as knowledgeable of the intricacies of the jackets and their history as folks like _ and Michaelson (among others), from everything I've seen over the years and the screen grabs shown over time, I believe this to be the Raiders jacket. I really like the pockets on this jacket, too, and think they are very accurate.

However, you have to remember that each jacket made for the movie had its own subtle (or not so subtle) characteristics, so I would not be surprised if there may be some pocket variations between jackets made for Raiders. Heck, every Wested I've seen (or owned) has a different pocket shape on the flaps or corners (some more than others over the years) and some of that is simply based on the leather and sewing.

While at the QM Summit, I was able to compare my jacket with Westeds, US Wings, Flightsuits/G&B, and (I think) a Todd's. While they each have something great to offer and are all good jackets in their own right (I loved Rundquist's Buffalo G&B) as far as a true Raiders jacket is concerned, I don't think any of them could hold a candle to Tony's Raider I. This is my personal opinion, and I have nothing to gain from it. I base all my opinions off of personal experience with the gear I've seen and handled in person, or outright owned.

Is this jacket for everybody? Probably not. But the same can be said of every other jacket maker on the list. I also tend to believe some wouldn't consider the jacket SA if Harrison Ford had handed it to them in person directly after removing it from his body after a shoot. That's fine. Again, I know what I have and I'm beyond happy with this jacket. Will I still wear my Westeds? Yep. But I can tell you which one I'll be wearing the other 95% of the time.

Every one who has seen Tony's Raider I jacket in person has been floored by it. In fact, Lee Keppler kept trying to steal mine from me, he was so impressed with it. I think that says something about the jacket, too.
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Whao!

I really need to stop reading this thread. Or next thing I know I'm going to order this jacket..... and then I have to sell a kidney.....
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

SpeedRcrX wrote:Whao!

I really need to stop reading this thread. Or next thing I know I'm going to order this jacket..... and then I have to sell a kidney.....
I know exactly what you mean... better check if I won the lottery yesterday :[

Regards, Geert
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Mike wrote:

What's the real colour of this jacket? :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

strones,

Id suggest you ask every Indy jacket vendor in the world for samples.that way you can see for your own eyes what color the skins really are ;-)

just a thought ;-)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

By my count no one who owns one is not pleased that it captures the essence and feel that they think is "True Raiders".......Big Tony is gonna getha sooner or later.....it just gets better the longer you wear it......Hatch
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Strones wrote:
Mike wrote:

What's the real colour of this jacket? :-k
It's not hard. Look at the skin tone and light and use a little deductive reasoning. Cheers
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Indiana Holt wrote:strones,

Id suggest you ask every Indy jacket vendor in the world for samples.that way you can see for your own eyes what color the skins really are ;-)

just a thought ;-)
Hehe, as you know I'm very interested in the colour of the jackets. I think colour is more important than a lot of stupid details like inner pocket, sleeve seam, yoke seam... Most people here look for details, but is blind in front of the right SA colour. So I try to understand what colour are the jackets around.

And, is very difficult to receive samples: I asked Wested, but without receiving anything.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Strones wrote:And, is very difficult to receive samples: I asked Wested, but without receiving anything.
Really? That's odd. They're usually very good at supplying samples when requested. :-k

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

I was not lucky. And note that I bought 5 Wested jackets this year, so they can consider me a good customer. :(
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Indiana Strones wrote:I was not lucky. And note that I bought 5 Wested jackets this year, so they can consider me a good customer. :(
I doubt that they even know who you are or what you've bought. Probably your request just slipped through the cracks. Try again.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I have tons of samples.I allways get them if I ask for them.

but then again I have weekly contact with them..maby thats the reason...I dont know........
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Well, dangit, this is too much for me. I've started a fund...

Right now, it's at $10. 8)
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

crismans wrote:Well, dangit, this is too much for me. I've started a fund...

A fund for the jacket or for the samples? :[
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Strones wrote:

The jacket in shrunken lamb. I want to look my best for bankruptcy court. ;-)
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

good to see that there is a mentallity shift in regards to this offering. some have been brought over to see the light, some die hards that hated the 'dino' hide are now questioning their whole belief system, and there's still the few that are sticking to their guns and refusing this altogether (which is quite admirable in my book actually).

i think most of us are over the 'which hero jacket was copied' dilema....and finally have confirmed or at least acknowledged the fact that the TN raiders offering is a serious contender......the best of the bunch imho......but in all fairness to rundquist and _, i have yet to try the expo.....but in all fairness to me, they shot some of my modification requests down :)
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Indy G , it may be like turning a battleship around ,you've got to overcome a lot of inertia.........but progress is being made..........Hatch
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Hey guys, this is not a popularity contest. All the choices out there are to suit different needs and wants. In the past I’ve “crusaded” for G&B because I think that they make a great jacket and I don’t believe that many on this board have given them due consideration when trying to decide on what they want. That doesn’t mean that they were ever “right” for everybody. No jacket has the distinction of being right for everybody. I'd still recommend them any day of the week.

I think that Tony makes a great Raiders jacket. I’m going to get one. That doesn’t mean that I’m going to disown all of my other jackets. I still think that they’re great, better than great even. I’ve never been much of a fan of the CS jacket. Why? It’s made great. It’s accurate. It’s just not for me. Others love it.

I do hear your points about people needing to look at what Tony is offering again though.
:mrgreen:
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

some die hards that hated the 'dino' hide are now questioning their whole belief system
No, we're just now seeing the other leather offerings. More of a choice than what we've been shown so far. When I saw the so-called dino leather I formed an opinion on it that still stands today. I happen to like some of the leathers I've seen in Binks thread much better. This is not a change in my belief system, just preferring a different leather choice which we had not seen until now.

This same thing happened with me and G&B. I saw a few of the earlier versions in person and did not like the leather choice at all. When I saw G-Mann's well worn G&B years later which was made from a different leather than the ones I'd previously seen I was completely floored at how much I loved it. I almost bought one off of him later on.

As Rundquist says it's all just a matter of personal opinions and different needs and wants. If we all agreed the world would be a boring place, eh? ;-) In the end we're better off for Tony being here, like his jacket or not. Good guy+good product = good for everyone.
Garzo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Garzo »

Here's a link to a thread at The Fedora Lounge on an A2 Real Deal from Aero which uses mixed, unmatched horsehide, which is considered more authentic to that era as horsehide was becoming more and more scarce during WWII so they used every bit of the horse.

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=33086

It's also my favorite Aero A2 model -- I love that look and I think, from the photos I've seen, that the original Raiders jacket in question was probably more similar to this.
Tony's jacket looks funky. You see some sheepskin RAF style jackets with lots of deep grain, but never anything like this. This is really more like tyrannosaurus or sleestack skin.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

When I'm ready to buy, I'm going to ask Tony if he can build one in Horsehide. Then I'll be done :)
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

I second the horse hide!

My Schott and the wested I'm waiting on are both Horse. I think it is the best leather for a jacket, and certainly era correct, if not "SA", for the time frame in question.

Very durable, and full of charecter. And, it just gets better and better with age...

I'm sure Tony would be more than happy to make one like that A2 from the other forum. Mixed hide... Nice...
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

You know what Gentlemen ??
I'm a weak person because I decided to order an Indy I in shrunken lamb :roll: after reading all the compliments about this jacket.

I sent a mail to Tony and guess what he call me a few minute back.

What a nice person he is!!!

I'm not at ease in English if I have to follow a conversation (it's more easy if I only have to read or write ;-) ). But he speaks slowly and was really patient with me.

He told me I was the first woman ordering an Indy Jacket and he like french people enthusiasm. (he was quite the charmer :oops: ) He even greeted me in French!

We confrimed a few thing from the measurements I sent and asked me to send him some photos of me wearing my Wested Washed Goat.
He also asked me if I wanted him to distress the jacket, I told him: "do as you wish!"

And he confirmed to me that he will put a low price on the shipping box and check the gift case so I won't have custom fees!

It was a real pleasure to talk to him, a true gentleman.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

crismans wrote:
Indiana Strones wrote:

The jacket in shrunken lamb. I want to look my best for bankruptcy court. ;-)
Guys, let's ask Peter for this hide, and voila'... ;-)
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Since this morning I got Tony 3 times on the phone to discuss the jacket measurements and make comparison with my Wested Wash Goat.

You know Tony is a professionnal, by looking at photos I sent him, he guess most of the measurements from my Wested! I just have to confirm them.

He also told me he find some of the measurement a little weird.

And assure me I will make me a great Jacket and I believe him at 100%

I can't wait to get it!!!!
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Tony just emailed me that my jacket shipped and I should have it tomorrow. Besides my jacket he told me he included something to share with all you guys. He included some pics of terry leonard. Ill try to post em when I get them. Im so excited about getting my TN Raiders I dont think I can sleep. :lol:
Best Regards,
Joe
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Just another teaser:

Another thing which shows how humble Tony truly is, is the COA he included with my Indy I jacket. (It's at home currently, so I can give the exact words tonight.) In it, he states "we were graciously given the opportunity to make the jackets for Harrison Ford and Shia LeBouf for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." He doesn't just flatly say he made the jackets, rather, he was graciously given the opportunity to make them. You can tell he's genuinely appreciative of the job and that it hasn't gone to his head. That's class all the way.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The exact wording is

"We are poud to infom that we were graciously given the opportunity to make the jackets worn by Harrison Ford and Shia LaBeouf in the Indy IV film.

King Regrds, Tony Nowak"

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yep, that's it. Thanks, Michaelson.

Did you reprint the typos here, too? (i.e. "King Regrds") I'll have to look at mine again...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Nope. The typos are exclusively mine. Only on my first cup of coffee at the moment.

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:lol: Here, let me pour you another cup. ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Tanks...er....thanks. :[

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I can't help but feel these jackets from Tony require a visit to the man himself. Or at least, to be on the same continent!
Where does this leave the rest of us, in other parts of the world?
I'd like a TN CS. Or a TN ROLA. What TN ordering experiences can other non-US COW members share?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Kevin, now you know how we feel about being able to visit with and get gear from vendors from overseas! ;-) The best thing I can recommend is to call Tony. Even a phone conversation with the man is well worth it, even if you choose not to buy a jacket from him. But I will warn you, even though he doesn't try to "sell you" a jacket, it seems to hold true that anyone who talks with him ends up wanting one! ;-)
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

OK. I've been very vocal about this jacket ever since the first photos were posted. It wasn't until Rick's photos (and in particular, the leather comparisons thread) where I really started to "warm" to this jacket.

I've had a lot of email discussion with Tony in the past couple of weeks and have called him a couple of times to discuss things further.

I've taken the plunge and have ordered jacket #27 / 888 and am intrigued to see what it's going to be like. As mentioned previously, I have orderd a jacket which is going to be made as an exact copy of the measurements Tony took from the Harrison Ford jacket he was allowed to borrow.

Should be here in approx 10 days so I will be sure to post some pics and my initial thoughts about what arrives in that FedEx package!

Chris
Last edited by Chris_King on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

if it is an exact 100% copy chris then I am very curious about it.

will it be like slydinis jacket.and ''exact'' copy with a few minor improvements tomake it more wearable?...or will it be 100% the same as the borrowed jacket with the production mistakes?

cant wait
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Kevin Anderson wrote:What TN ordering experiences can other non-US COW members share?
You mean besides the exchange rate giving you more bang for you buck? ;-)

Like Bink said, give a call, he'll treat you the same as anyone Stateside.
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

I've asked Tony to make it an exact copy including any "mistakes" that he observed on the original. The pockets will have the 0.25 inch strip at the top but that's the only thing I've asked for. I'm still not sure whether the more accurate pockets we're seeing on his jackets now are the result of fan input, or whether he's just made sure his pattern is correct.

I've told him that this jacket is pretty much for display only and that I didn't want any "real world" improvements made to it.

I've also asked him to select some pieces of shrunken lamb which are a bit smoother than some of the jackets we've seen.

I'm really interested to see what he provides!

Chris
Indiana Holt wrote:if it is an exact 100% copy chris then I am very curious about it.

will it be like slydinis jacket.and ''exact'' copy with a few minor improvements tomake it more wearable?...or will it be 100% the same as the borrowed jacket with the production mistakes?

cant wait
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Well, after hearing Lee Keppler rant and rave about Tony 'nailing it' in a phone conversation yesterday, I'm convinced he's got the Raiders jacket down pat. It takes quite a bit of arm twisting to get Lee to say what he did unless he truly believed it himself, and he's a believer now! ;-)

Regards! Michaelson