Todd's Deluxe whip...

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Todd's Deluxe whip...

Post by Texan Scott »

Do you have any info. on Todd's Deluxe whips, as to length and quality? Photos would be great if possible. thanks.
Jakk55
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jakk55 »

Do a search, there have been multiple threads on the topic.

Overall consensus: Looks good, works for the occasional crack, however is not meant to be cracked a lot, it is a costume piece, not a real whip.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I don't know that I've seen much discussion about my DELUXE whips, just my PROP whips, which are intended for costume use. My deluxe whips I'll put up against any other whip in it's price range for functionality.

Todd
Jakk55
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Jakk55 »

My apologies, for my confusion on the difference.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

Puppetboy wrote:I don't know that I've seen much discussion about my DELUXE whips, just my PROP whips, which are intended for costume use. My deluxe whips I'll put up against any other whip in it's price range for functionality.

Todd
So, your deluxe whips are totally functional? I was not clear on that point until now, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think some here may have assumed the prop whip was just the older model with the "marshmallow" knob on the end while the deluxe was the newer reworked design. So, the deluxe has a tougher core and more robust leather? Just trying to promote some discussion, since I probably would have bought one if I knew beforehand this was the case. :?: When you say, price range for functionality, I guess you mean it is functional and is a great bargain for the price, but it has it's limits and that is reflected in the price, or something to that effect?
Last edited by bigrex on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Todd,
Just a point of clarification, you make this statement for you "Deluxe" whips
If you have done any shopping at all, you know that most whip makers charge 400+ for an 8' 12 plait bullwhip.
Now, lets say I'm looking for a whip in your price range, what am I getting and how does that equal the price I'm getting for it? Who is the maker, what is the construction method, and who is your competition? Let's say I'm not worried about getting an Indiana Jones whip, but a good starter whip.
rjallen70
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rjallen70 »

His web site list the leather as goat.
I would be curious as to the core construction as well.
So Todd... are we talking about a urethane core this time or traditional?
Ron
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, you are correct. The whips are made in my shop under my supervision. We use custom tanned goat (that reminds me very much of kangaroo for toughness) for the covering and other high quality components. They were designed for use.

We can speculate, second guess, debate theroretical longevity until the cows come home. I maintain that my inner core is just as good as any, and probably better than many. I think before you begin to dis my deluxe whip, you should try one.

To be fair, you should ask the other whipmakers about the insides of their whips. Are they solid leather? What type of leather, and what temper? How many layers? Do they use tape? Do they use splices? Do they use any rope? Lead shot? Cloth? Spiral-wrapped bolsters or straight? Taped, wraped with string, or stitched? Rawhide or cane transition from the handle? Every whip maker has their own system and you can debate forever which is better.

Whether my deluxe whips are worth $199 is a subjective matter. I think they are, and apparently so do the customers who have them. So far, no one has returned one.

But make sure to note that the "prop" whip and the "deluxe" whip are two different things (and two different prices). I have re-written the copy on the website to make this clearer.

Thanks!

Todd
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

Todd,
Will you ever make a deluxe 10 foot whip? What if I were to call in as a special order, would you make one or consider it in the future?
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Yes, I may offer a 10' in the future.
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

Todd, I sent you a PM with a proposal.......
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Todd,

Do you make a braded 10 foot-er? If so, quantos? ;-)