"the best there ever was."

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

"the best there ever was."

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

as a kid, one of my favorite film characters was robert redford's portrayal of "roy hobbs" in barry levinson's The Natural. besides just being a great piece of period americana, it also has some great men's fashion peppered throughout. among those fashions is a jacket/fedora combination sported by redford early in the film which is vaguely indy-esque, though clearly not the same garments:

now, i've always been a big fan of redford's look here, so i'm wondering if any of you wise knowers-of-things can shed any light on the origins of the hat and jacket worn in the film (and consequentially in the above photo), or perhaps even the whereabouts of some near-to SA replicas?

any knowledge of this matter is greatly appreciated.
Last edited by TruckWhatTruck on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FloatinJoe
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by FloatinJoe »

I've been in contact with the individual who made the hat for the movie. He no longer makes fedoras, only cowboy hats. The last time I talked to him, he had no interest in making fedoras again. He also made Alec Baldwin's hat for The Shadow. I wanted/want both of these hats, so I was a bit disappointed.

Michael
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

Magnoli makes this jacket. This one is in Cairo Bazaar. I can't remember if I can post this so here. So, mods please remove it if it shouldn't be here.

viewtopic.php?t=35096
Last edited by Jorenz on Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

wow, good info. thanks guys. ;-) somewhat disappointing about the fedora... but nice to know that i'm not the only one who was interested in the film's look.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I have one of Indy Magnoli's Hobb jackets made in cloth (I wanted a lighter weight version) that's spot on. Here's the link to his sales site:

http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/prod ... 7f97b0e562

I wish the leather was still $195, as posted in the linked thread above. That was the original prcie back when it was introduced. I'd buy one in a heartbeat today. :(

Regards! Michaelson
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

TruckWhatTruck wrote:wow, good info. thanks guys. ;-) somewhat disappointing about the fedora... but nice to know that i'm not the only one who was interested in the film's look.
I wouldn't be to disaponted about the fedora. With all the great hatmakers we have around here I am sure one of them could make you a very good replica of that hat.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: "the best there ever was."

Post by RCSignals »

TruckWhatTruck wrote:as a kid, one of my favorite film characters was robert redford's portrayl of "roy hobbs" in barry levinson's The Natural. besides just being a great piece of period americana, it also has some great men's fashion peppered throughout. among those fashions is a jacket/fedora combination sported by redford early in the film which is vaguely indy-esque, though clearly not the same garments:

now, i've always been a big fan of redford's look here, so i'm wondering if any of you wise knowers-of-things can shed any light on the origins of the hat and jacket worn in the film (and consequentially in the above photo), or perhaps even the whereabouts of some near-to SA replicas?

any knowledge of this matter is greatly appreciated.
That Fedora in color and ribbon width looks similar to the one Miller hats sells. comes with an open crown #257

there is also this one http://millerhats.com/miller_fedora/1174_fedora.html
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

When Magnoli first offered the Roy Hobbs jacket it was available in what he called a "cheap Chinese leather" which is why it was $195 I guess. The leather he uses now is light years better and the price now reflects that.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

looks like i've certainly come to the right place, COW is an amazing resource. the magnoli jacket appears to be exactly what i'm looking for, can't believe i didn't see it when i've visited his site.
the miller hats fedora looks fairly close as well, or at least close enough that i'd be satisfied with it. if i ever have any money again, at least i know where to find the items now. ;-)

big thanks to everyone, i was really afraid people might not even be familiar with the film, let alone the garments. once again, COW comes through. :clap:
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

The leather jacket and fedora was a pretty common look during the 30’s. Redford looks really elegant, but still with an edge. Indiana Jones’ look was a product of the time period. He kind of went from looking classy like Redford above (albeit with a little harder edge) in Raiders, to looking kind of goofy. The leather jacket and tie is also a slamin’ look. But they got that wrong in LC as well. I don’t know what the wardrobe people were thinking. :tdown: