Talk to me about Bag Straps...

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Talk to me about Bag Straps...

Post by Shagbd »

I have a Magnoli repro mkVII, and i bought a Todds Costume strap and really like it......

Just wonder what everyones opinion was on what the "best" strap is?

Im thinking of grabbing a REAL MKVII and want the best for it!
Magno
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Magno »

It seems like most people actually do prefer the Todd's. I just ordered one for mine.

Although I've heard that t here is a new guy named Wade that does some really, really nice ones.
Neolithic
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Neolithic »

I've had two Keppler straps for years that are great- very soft leather.

I'd be interested to see Wade's work too.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I got one from a maker in the UK last year, but don't remember their name. I have to say though, that I LOVE the strap!! It is my favorite out of my Todds, Magnoli, or WPG. It's thicker than any other strap I have had.

Furthest to the Right

NIBS
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

I can't comment on Todd's, as I don't have one, But I've had Magnoli's and picked up a Keppler. I must say, I love Keppler's strap. It's Very Soft and flexible, but bery strong. And you can't beat his buckles!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Make and weather your own, cheaper and more personal.

TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I prefer the Todd's strap (for the color) and the Adventurebilt buckle. I've tried all the other combinations and this one works best for me and what I see on screen.
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Kt Templar wrote:Make and weather your own, cheaper and more personal.
I was looking at making my own strap using material from Tandys and it seemed to me, to be about as much as a strap from Todds. You have any advice to make one cheaper? Thanks
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

IdahoJones wrote:
I was looking at making my own strap using material from Tandys and it seemed to me, to be about as much as a strap from Todds. You have any advice to make one cheaper? Thanks
Under $10 for a strap, buckle depends, chicago screws are pretty cheap $1 a pair say....

$15 or so maybe...
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Don't buy the 1" strap from Tandy, it's WAY too thick for a bag strap. I got some and it's almost 3/16" thick! It's too thick to even fold over onto itself.
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

TheMechanic wrote:Don't buy the 1" strap from Tandy, it's WAY too thick for a bag strap. I got some and it's almost 3/16" thick! It's too thick to even fold over onto itself.
Thanks for the input. At $30.00 shipped and premade Todd's looks like a pretty good option. If I were to go ahead with a home made strap what would be a good leather source for blanks?

Happy Halloween Everybody!
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

I personally would go with Wades. Its the strongest and most heavy duty out there...
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

I only have the on bag strap. Its a Todds strap. Was a bt worried at first as the leather was very stiff, obviously after a bit of time it has softened and looks older. A very nice strap for a cracking little bag.
hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Kt Templar wrote:
IdahoJones wrote:
Under $10 for a strap, buckle depends, chicago screws are pretty cheap $1 a pair say....

$15 or so maybe...
Where from in the UK KT?
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

ReturningSon wrote:I personally would go with Wades. Its the strongest and most heavy duty out there...
I have both Wade's and Todd's straps. You would not be disappointed with either one, but the best combination is Todd's buckle on Wade's strap. Todd's buckle is more screen authentic and fits the strap much better. Wade told me that he was going to be making available a screen authentic buckle soon, but I don't know the date. Presumably within the next few weeks.

The finish on Wade's strap is an amazing variegated brown, exactly as shown on his website. It's really beautiful and I would love to know how he does it. The finish on Todd's strap is a simple solid red-brown color that darkened nicely with leather dressing to more of a brown color.

Either strap will need a break-in period. They both come fairly dry and stiff. A nice soaking with a good leather dressing along with a few minutes of bending them by hand will do wonders for them. Both of mine are now very supple. Both straps were darkened somewhat with the leather dressing. They look much better now IMHO.

Distressing and softening the leather by hand by manipulating the straps and folding them tightly with your hands along the full length of the strap works very well for both straps. Wade's strap took to this treatment very well by developing some nice attractive wrinkling pattern, very nice character. Todd's strap remained smooth across it's surface, and honestly looks very plain.

Strength wise the Wade's strap definitely wins out. Not that Todd's strap is weak, it is definitely very adequate for anything you might need it for, it is just that Wade's strap is a stronger grade of leather yet the thickness is the same.

Vendor wise they are both easy to work with and ship quickly. No complaints with either one, although communication with Wade by email was MUCH better. Wade is very responsive to email. I'll post a pic in a few minutes.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that's what i did for my CS strap......i needed a little help with getting the right buckle, so a good buddy helped me out. ;-)

KT.....i love the weathering on her...what's your secret?

also, i'm finding that the raiders strap should be thicker than the standard offerings....problem is.....where can you find a wider SA rotla buckle?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

hovitos loincloth wrote:
Where from in the UK KT?
Are you in the UK? Those are based on US vendors, you can find a suitable strap blank for under $10 (well under in some cases).

G.

I do exactly what Cammer did, except I was a little rougher on the strap, bending it then squeezing it from the reverse side with a pair of pliers, both lengthwise and across the strap. Then giving it a good dose of pecard.

I've since dyed the edges too and I think it looks better.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

Very nice strap KT. Great weathering job :tup:
RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RichardSK »

My vote goes for Todd's.
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Here's a pic of Todd's and Wade's straps side by side. Sorry about the glare, it really reduces the richness of the color, especially with Wade's strap.

The top strap is Wade's, the bottom is Todd's.

hovitos loincloth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: I have Kleptomania, but when it gets too bad I take something for it.

Post by hovitos loincloth »

Kt Templar wrote:
hovitos loincloth wrote:
Where from in the UK KT?
Are you in the UK? Those are based on US vendors, you can find a suitable strap blank for under $10 (well under in some cases).

G.

Yeah,I'm in jolly old England.If you've got a link to the vendor you use I'd appreciate it, the few ones I've found kinda kill the price with the postage!
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joosse »

I've got one from Wade.

Can't really compare to the others, since I never had them, but I really like the one I have. :)