Taking noggin size/shape into consideration...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Taking noggin size/shape into consideration...

Post by Thefumegator »

I just got my Fed 4 Standard, just in time for the big holiday. :whip: I'm very pleased with it -- but there's something I noticed.

Following the many good shaping guides and tutorials, I have given it a good initial bash, and it looks great... Until I put it on my head.

I think it just has to do with my head. I have a pretty big head... not quite "so I married an axe murderer," big, but I think it is also more of a round shape than an oval shape.

I dunno... All I can really do is play with the hat until I get it to look right ON ME, but I don't think it will ever be perfect.

Any pointers from others with big melons? :lol:

Wes
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I have a huge noggin' and my FED IV Deluxe fits just perfect. If there is some extra room on the sides you might consider adding some foam strips in those areas to make a better fit.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Pics would help.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

As far as sizing goes, the had fits like a glove -- my problem is that my head is more round than oval, and it is tall enough that I can't get the center dent low enough in the rear.

I'm going to experiment with the foam strips and see what we see.

Wes
Charlie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Charlie »

I'm afraid something similar is going to happen to me, but I'm mostly worried about the height of the fedora and the way it'll look on me... :-k
Ken-Obi Wanabi
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Ken-Obi Wanabi »

Thefumegator wrote: As far as sizing goes, the had fits like a glove -- my problem is that my head is more round than oval, and it is tall enough that I can't get the center dent low enough in the rear.
I have the exact same problem - I can get it to look good, but not perfect. I experimented with shaping the brim using my hands and a little water and that helped a bunch.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What are you going for. Are we talking the brim or the crown.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Yes. :lol: Mainly the brim. It just seemed too flat. The crown I can deal with.

Actually, I was playing with the hat in my hands... and if I kinda pulled the front and back apart (like if my head was a long oval), it looked GREAT.

So, I got the foam and added some in the front and back. It looks MUCH better now. Unfortunately, my camera and my volunteer photographer both left, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to update the pics.

Head shape, I've decided, is a big factor in getting "the look."

Wes
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Thefumegator wrote:
Yes. :lol: Mainly the brim. It just seemed too flat. The crown I can deal with.

Actually, I was playing with the hat in my hands... and if I kinda pulled the front and back apart (like if my head was a long oval), it looked GREAT.

So, I got the foam and added some in the front and back. It looks MUCH better now. Unfortunately, my camera and my volunteer photographer both left, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to update the pics.

Head shape, I've decided, is a big factor in getting "the look."

Wes
Brims always get that distinct warp when you put a round hat on a long oval. Turn or no turn. I have owned many Indy hats, including the Federations. Here's what you need to do;

1. Wear it often. There is nothing like the natural "rigors" of being worn to break it in and make it look good.

2. Wear it in a rainstorm, then sit somewhere (out of the rain) and play with it a while. Repeat as often as desired.

3. Can't wait for rain? Get some distilled water in a sprayer. Spray the underside of the brim. Tweak with delight!

4. I have a high head as well, but the top crease shouldn't be as deep as most people think. Much deeper and a taper will develop. It looks fine in the photos. Don't worry a bit about that.

5. Some brim shaping advice, while it's wet. Without flattening it or "turning it down" try to get a slight downward slop to the back brim. This will help the front slope and the sides "smile".
Federations are one of the BEST hats when it comes to settling into the right fit and shape for the wearer over time. The more you love your hat, the more it will love you.