Todd's costumes boots?!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Darwood
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Darwood »

saecrow wrote:ok, so everyone one else's shoes have the correct size inside that match what they ordered (unlike mine)? if thats the case, i would have to concur that you should order a size up, as i wear a 10, ordered a 10, and received an 11 and they fit perfectly. . . . wore them all day at work, and i'm a network manager at a middle school so i'm always walking! excellent work Todd. . . i love 'em![/list]
Yep my 11's say 11 inside the shoe.

I concur about the sizing. I wear between a 10 and 11 and went with an 11. The fit is snug. I need to try them on longer than 30 seconds to see if they are too snug.
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Yes.
I normally wear a 9.5 shoe; ordered 10; to small.
I just bought 11s out of Cairo Bazzar.
I too usually wear anything from a 9-10, closer to the 10 end of the spectrum. Would you guys advise that I go with an 11?
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Welcome to the club IndyGeek78. I'm sure you will like your boots when they come. Mine should be here tomorrow. Happy hunting.

Regards,

Soup
Gunk
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Gunk »

what work boots are those in the pic todd?
saecrow
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by saecrow »

IndianaBogart wrote:
Yes.
I too usually wear anything from a 9-10, closer to the 10 end of the spectrum. Would you guys advise that I go with an 11?
i would definitely go with the 11. . . all of my boots are 10 (tennis shoes anywhere between 9 and 10) so that's why i "ordered" a 10, but from the pics in my earlier post, you can see they say 11. . . looks like something worked out for me once :shock:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I just got mine in size 12. They're a bit on the narrow side. I think the shoes are running a good half to whole size too small. My foot is about a size 11 or 11.5 and in the store I usually go with 12's so I can have some room for a thicker sock and because my foot is a hair wider than standard width. There are very few size 12's that won't fit me.

So yes, I'm dissapointed with the sizing. If a 13 were available and I went up, that's not really what I consider a good fit.

I might try to see how they work out then put them up at a reduced price on the Bazaar. If they'll stretch a tad in one area than I'll be happy.

Out of the box the first thing I noticed was the smell; a rather ugly plastic/burnt oder and certainly not a leather smell. The leather seems quite thin. The linings seem to be on the cheap side and I'm thinking this is one area where they won't hold up so well. The sole is quite heavy and thick and something that would seem fine on any store bought shoes. The stitching seems tight, straight, and well executed. The laces, gromets, and hooks (sorry if these aren't the proper terms) are more in line with discount store footwear.

Color is brown to reddish brown. I would say the photo Todd posted earlier comparing three shoes is quite accurate to what I'm seeing on my foot. Unlike others have reported, mine arrived in brand new condition with the leather perfectly smooth and blemish free.

With everything I have to ask myself if I feel it's worth what I paid. That's a tough one here. First, I do not plan to dress in an Indy costume, not even for Halloween. But I do like Indy items (the jacket and the shirt) I can wear and feel perfectly normal in. I thought the shoes would be fine with the added benefit of knowing their Indy roots. Because I'm just not too thrilled about this style boot (unlike the jacket which I think is one of the greatest of all time) there was little chance of me spending a few hundred on Aldens. If, however, the Coyle's were on a shelf in the store and I had no idea they were copies of an Indy item, I have to be honest and say I would not get them. Not for $80. For that much there are better quality items although they have nothing to do with Indy. For comparison I bought a pair of leather Dockers a couple weeks ago on sale for just over half the price of the Coyle's; they seem like they will last much longer and are made to a higher standard.

I've owned enough pairs of shoes over the course of my life to develop some idea how something might hold up under normal use. I think Todd was very honest with his assement that these are ok for casual wear and walking.

So that's my quick review. Hope it didn't come off as too negative because I simply wanted to give my honest opinion. I certainly don't hate them and plan to wear mine. If they fit you well, I think most people will be pleased with them, but don't expect the moon.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

i got mine this morning. i was surprised by the weight as they weigh in to around where actual aldens way in. first impression, i love the colour. the leather upper is thinner than aldens by a mile....reminded me of the leather that is on leather chuck taylors. not bad though.....i can wear chucks nicely without destroying them.

i unded the laces and slipped my foot in (i'm a size 9 in almost all the footwear i buy, other than aldens....i'm a 8.5 there). extremely tight.....good to play soccer in but not to walk in. i had a feeling these would kill my feet in a matter of minutes if i kept them.

they are on their way back to todd's now so i can get a pair of 10's.

i like the boots very much. i think they will hold up to everyday/casual use quite easily and i'm sure they'd be okay for some light adventuring ;-)

my only concern are the hooks.......if the leather is on the thin side.....will these hooks be prone to ripping right off? it looks like they are just riveted into the leather. i guess the test of time will tell us.......
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Thanks for the review Raider S, I was thinking of getting a pair but I'll just wait for the real McCoys.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Has Todd said anything about the boots being a whole size smaller? Kinda misleading and when the biggest size is a "12", the people that normally get a 12 are SOL. At least whoever has a 7 can get a 8, I guess.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

JC1972 wrote:Has Todd said anything about the boots being a whole size smaller? Kinda misleading and when the biggest size is a "12", the people that normally get a 12 are SOL. At least whoever has a 7 can get a 8, I guess.
todd did not. i spoke to him today. he is aware that these boots run small.

todd, you should put a caveat on your website in regards to sizing.....hopefully that will save you some return shipping and re-shipping costs......(i've eaten my own return costs because i've dealt with todd for a couple years now :) ).
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Indiana G wrote:
JC1972 wrote:Has Todd said anything about the boots being a whole size smaller? Kinda misleading and when the biggest size is a "12", the people that normally get a 12 are SOL. At least whoever has a 7 can get a 8, I guess.
todd did not. i spoke to him today. he is aware that these boots run small.

todd, you should put a caveat on your website in regards to sizing.....hopefully that will save you some return shipping and re-shipping costs......(i've eaten my own return costs because i've dealt with todd for a couple years now :) ).
If he had some kind of disclaimer on the site would lead to a lot fewer headaches for us besides the cost of returning them.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I'm going to post a couple photos tomorrow of some specifics of my boots.

Most leather shoes can easily be stretched a bit to fit well. Maybe not a whole size or anything but if they're a bit snug like mine are, a shoe repair place could easily do that for a few bucks. Having said that, I don't know if you could with these - I'm really not sure if the construction is up to it.
Carolina Tom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Carolina Tom »

:-k I am seriously considering ordering . . . but can anyone give me a durability report please . . .?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Raider S wrote:I'm going to post a couple photos tomorrow of some specifics of my boots.

Most leather shoes can easily be stretched a bit to fit well. Maybe not a whole size or anything but if they're a bit snug like mine are, a shoe repair place could easily do that for a few bucks. Having said that, I don't know if you could with these - I'm really not sure if the construction is up to it.
the boots are beyond the help of the highest skilled cobbler, believe me. i need the next size up.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've always wanted some aldens.....but the price is pretty steep. Don't get me wrong, I'm going to get some...but I just saw the Coyle boots and wondered if they were any good.

I read the some of the reviews on this thread....I can't read all 6 pages...and just wanted an update.

ARE they decent boots? I don't wanna spend 80- bucks for something I can get better at JC Penny. They do LOOK like Indy boots and would easily pass costume inspection, just will they stand up to the challenge?

My ultimate goal is to get the "package deal" at Wested, Goatskin jacket, shirt and pants, and then some boots, and eventually save up fot eh whip. I figure I've got a whole year to be indy for next Halloween.

BUt 've been debating for getting Aldens soon, and wearing them everyday till next oct to make them look Indy...or getting some Coyles.....
havershaw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by havershaw »

Can anyone tell me how they are sized as compared to Aldens? I have three pair which I've had for the past five years or so and I was thinking about getting a replacement pair of Todd's. Because I haven't bought anything but Aldens in five years, I can't recall what size I get in other shoes. But my Aldens are size 10.

Does this mean I should order 11 from Todd?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my size in aldens are 8.5 D. i'll need a 10 D from todd's. it'll work the same for anyone else.....if they have the exact same size and shape as my feet

;-) :lol:
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

havershaw wrote:Can anyone tell me how they are sized as compared to Aldens? I have three pair which I've had for the past five years or so and I was thinking about getting a replacement pair of Todd's. Because I haven't bought anything but Aldens in five years, I can't recall what size I get in other shoes. But my Aldens are size 10.

Does this mean I should order 11 from Todd?
That's what I did, I ordered one size up, using the advice of the folks here.

What I'm kind of confused about is why are people so harsh in this thread so far? :? Todd has put together a pair of (what seems to be) a very accurate copy of the Alden Indy boot,...and in a better color. For $80!!!
Sneakers nowadays cost more than that. These are the closest thing I've seen to real Aldens yet. If someone doesn't think so, please post a pic of something better.

I mean,....look at this!!

I can understand being upset if they don't fit, but cut the guy a break,...Todd will exchange them. He's always been about customer satisfaction. This is the first batch of a brand new offering.
He'll work out the kinks,...always has, always will.
'Blues
Last edited by IndyBlues on Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacFett
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by MacFett »

IndianaBogart wrote:
Yes.
That was my experience. I have several issued military boots in 9.5. The 10s were too small for me.
I should have the 11s in another day or two and will be able to give a follow up report.
The shoes are very nice. Just the sizing issue...

PS. 10s still available in the bazzar. ;-)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I will put this information on the website when I know exactly WHAT to put on the website. I'm not sure where the problem lies. I'm not sure if it's the size or the last. I did notice one thing today relating to shape that may be why they feel tight. As far as actual size, I'll try to collect the specs and consult with the factory (it's hard to measure inside a shoe) and compare with the standard shoe size charts I have. Once I have the problem nailed down, I'll try to find a solution that will work.

As far as durability, you're asking that question about six months too early. No one has had these more than a few days so no one knows how durable they are. Time will tell.

As far as value, $75 will buy you a decent pair of shoes, but not really good shoes. GOOD hiking boots, work boots, cowboy boots, and dress shoes cost several times more.

So, if you saw these boots in Sears and weren't an indygear fan, you wouldn't pay $75 for them? How much would you pay for a pair of Aldens if you saw them at Sears, weren't especially interested in the style, and had never heard of them before?

Food for thought. Sorry about the size issue, folks. I'll have some time now to give it some investigation. I'm glad they fit some of you, anyway!
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, I want to get a pair but I have to wait until he offers them in size 13. Which waiting isn't so bad.....Hopefully by that time Todd will have corrected the sizing "issue", if there is one , with the boots and everything will be straightened out by then. :)

I think the color of these new boots look great. :)
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Puppetboy wrote:....
As far as value, $75 will buy you a decent pair of shoes, but not really good shoes. GOOD hiking boots, work boots, cowboy boots, and dress shoes cost several times more.

So, if you saw these boots in Sears and weren't an indygear fan, you wouldn't pay $75 for them? How much would you pay for a pair of Aldens if you saw them at Sears, weren't especially interested in the style, and had never heard of them before?

Food for thought. Sorry about the size issue, folks. I'll have some time now to give it some investigation. I'm glad they fit some of you, anyway!
You have some good points. If I saw a pair of Aldens on the shelf....and wasn't an Indy fan, I'd NEVER pay for them . I wouldn't even like their style.

Honestly, my normal budget for ANY shoe is about 100 dollars. and that's normally only for hardcore work boots.

I only pay more for boots I want to wear for costume pieces and/or know for a fact are great for certain aspects of life.

i.e. I just bought the Jack Sparrow boots from the authentic makers of the POTCII and III movies (caboots), for my Ren Faire pirate costume. Why? Cause I knew they'd be really authentic looking and more then likely comfortable and durable.

If I DIDn't know they made the actual movie boots, I probably wouldn't spend my money on them.

As far as Aldens, I do want to get a pair. But honestly after the pirate boots, another pair of 300 dollar boots is a little much for now.

your boots seem accurate and quite possibly durable.

Thanks alot. Honestly, I have to say, I plan on buying about 3/4 of my Indy gear (LC style ) off your website. I appreciate your care and input on this forum.

Thanks again.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Puppetboy wrote: So, if you saw these boots in Sears and weren't an indygear fan, you wouldn't pay $75 for them? How much would you pay for a pair of Aldens if you saw them at Sears, weren't especially interested in the style, and had never heard of them before?
My answer right now is no, I would not pay $75 (actually $86.95 is what I spent) if I saw them in Sears or Penny's or Macy's. Two reasons: The interior of the boot is questionable and seems like it will wear quickly. The second reason is the outer leather seems a bit thin and I'm worried about the hardware pulling out or the sole detaching.

How much would I pay for Alden’s not knowing what they were? Well, for one thing I've never had or even examined Alden’s. But I’ve owned enough pairs of shoes and boots in my life to have some idea of what’s what and what’s not. To be honest, possibly Alden’s aren’t worth what people are willing to pay for them if there wasn’t the Indy association. My opinion, but I’m being honest.

I tried to be honest with my quick review and say how I felt about my purchase. I can't with any fairness compare these against $300 Alden’s and didn't do so. Maybe I could compare them on looks alone, but that’s not my primary concern with something that goes on my feet.

But I do, however, think it's fair to compare and $80 shoe with other $80 shoes. I think you can buy excellent hiking or work shoes for that price. Not the best, but if you aren't concerned with brand names you can get decent footwear that will last. Cost alone is not indicative of value. Besides, even the really good name stuff is largely outsourced these days and corners are cut.

Right now I can't say if your shoe will last as long as other similarly priced shoes. I certainly hope they will but, again, having gone through many pairs of footwear over the years I have some ideas about what’s what.

I greatly appreciate how much you look after your products and try to correct anything that may be wrong. Sizes need to be worked out with all kinds of items and few of us would have trouble understanding that – not really a huge issue. But I don’t think I said anything out of line or overly harsh speaking generally about your new boot. Maybe they’ll grow on me and will last a long time and will have been a great purchase. Who knows? I hope that’s what happens.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Raider S:

I want to reinforce your opinions of these boots. Though I have not handled the Coyle's boots myself, I was castrated earlier for trying to make people here understand that you will not get $300.00 dual-last hand-made (in AMERICA) boots for $80.00. Not going to happen. I doubt even if you WORKED at Alden that would be your discount rate...

When you buy the Aldens, you get a custom fitted orthontic shoe. Wear it for 12 hours standing on concrete and tell me how your back doesn't hurt. (I do this a lot) I have owned a LOT of shoes myself, for less than and more than the price of my 405's, and I can honestly say they are worth the money. "You do get what you pay for" really applies here.

Now I will once again give credit where it is due: Mr. Todd Coyle has come through for us! He has made a visual replica of the boot that has eluded the general public for many years (much to the joy of Alden who cash in on us).

It comes off like I am 'bashing' the Todd's boots; but that is not the case. All I am trying to make everyone aware of (and I think Raider S is doing the same) that you are not getting a $300.00 pair of Aldens for $80.00. You are getting an $80.00 pair of shoes that look like Aldens. I think, based on what I am reading here from owners, that we were hoping for a pair of $80.00 Aldens, but this is not what Todd has provided us.

In case you misunderstand me again Todd: THANKS! :notworthy:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

J!m, just to make this clear so everyone is on the same page, never once did I assume or state people should expect $300 shoes at an $80 price. Meaning no, they would not be custom fitted, made in USA footwear backed by whatever guarantee comes with Alden's.

As I before stated, I think it's only fair to compare them on appearance to the Alden 405. I do, however, think its entirely fair to compare them to other footwear of the same price.

Right now I have them on my feet and actually the fit is quite good as they managed to stretch a bit wearing them all evening yesterday. But if people buying them want them to fit, please buy one size larger than your normal and you should be fine. If you have a very wide foot they many not work for you, however.

Please, let's not make this an Alden appreciation thread - there are plenty of those. In my opinion there are many fine shoes out there just below the $100 price mark; let's be honest, much of what makes any designer or brand name more expensive is simple hype.

I plan to get some new laces on my Todd's then simply wear them. They look good on the foot and if they wear well (let's say a year of decent use without the sole falling off or something) I'd say they'll turn out to be a great buy and great addition for the Indy fan who wants decent gear.

Just like with the Alden's people are paying a higher price for the Todd's simply because of the Indy connection. Maybe that's what I've been trying to say all along.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Does anyone elses boots have "uneven" toe stiching? Mine are quite noticeable on my feet, but everyone I've pointed it out to had to stare unless they were looking down on them as you would while wearing them.

Randy
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Raider S,

I totally understand your point, and it is very valid. When you compare specialized, small volume niche products with mass retailer products, you aren't comparing apples to apples. Yes, a $75 pair of Timberlands will last longer than my boots, but they sell Timberlands by the hundreds of thousands and I sell my boots by the tens.

I had to come to terms with this long ago. People have come to expect the incredible value they get at Walmart or Payless, which specialty makers like Alden or Caboots can't come close to competing with, even though the quality is similar. WHAT??? $800 for a Xena Dress??? WHY???

Honestly, I pay WHOLESALE for these boots more than most boots at Walmart cost RETAIL. The price is what it is because it is a special design, for a special small set of customers, and the value is in the design and it's desirability to fans, not the construction. Let's face it, there isn't an indy jacket out there that would sell at the price they do if it were on the rack in a retail store - including my jackets. That goes for Bates, FlightSuits, Wested, any of them (except maybe US wings - please, fans of those companies don't argue the point - I think you can agree in principle). You can buy beautiful lambskin jackets at Costco for $89.

Bottom line, you can't compare the value of Indy gear with mass merchandisers products. You have to see the value in the product as a specialty replica made for a esoteric specialty market in micro-quantities. It's an Indy boot for Indy fans, not a Redwing for the millions of average Joes out there.
JimL
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JimL »

Raider S wrote:J!m, just to make this clear so everyone is on the same page, never once did I assume or state people should expect $300 shoes at an $80 price. Meaning no, they would not be custom fitted, made in USA footwear backed by whatever guarantee comes with Alden's.
If I"sounded" that way I apologize. I was agreeing with you, not saying you were saying they are something they are not.
Raider S wrote: As I before stated, I think it's only fair to compare them on appearance to the Alden 405. I do, however, think its entirely fair to compare them to other footwear of the same price.
Well, for the same price, you can likely get higher quality footwear. Out of style redwings can usually be had for under $100.00, and I think we all can agree that those would be of a higher standard than even a Timberland (for example) at the same price point. On appearance, I agree- these look like Alden 405's, which was/is the intention.
Raider S wrote: Right now I have them on my feet and actually the fit is quite good as they managed to stretch a bit wearing them all evening yesterday. But if people buying them want them to fit, please buy one size larger than your normal and you should be fine. If you have a very wide foot they many not work for you, however.
I actually have a narrow foot, which is why I ended up with Aldens after all- I tried to get some nice Redwing Gentleman Travelers (which I still like; they just don't come narrow!) And then the Farnhams, which also don't come narrow. Since these run narow, I would have gotten them, but now I have 405's...
Raider S wrote: Please, let's not make this an Alden appreciation thread - there are plenty of those. In my opinion there are many fine shoes out there just below the $100 price mark; let's be honest, much of what makes any designer or brand name more expensive is simple hype.
I couldn't agree more. I recently was dress shoe shopping, and looked at several reputable brands (Nunn-Bush, Florsheim, etc.) and NONE of them were made in the US any longer; and the price? Well above the $100.00 mark. As you say: Paying for the name...
Raider S wrote: I plan to get some new laces on my Todd's then simply wear them. They look good on the foot and if they wear well (let's say a year of decent use without the sole falling off or something) I'd say they'll turn out to be a great buy and great addition for the Indy fan who wants decent gear.
Exactly what they are intended for.
Raider S wrote: Just like with the Alden's people are paying a higher price for the Todd's simply because of the Indy connection. Maybe that's what I've been trying to say all along.
And I was one of those people until I understaood just what the "big deal" is about these boots. I now fully understand why Harrison Ford changed the wardrobe to these boots over the (quite decent actually) Redwings which were originally specified...
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

My Todd's boots are in. They are AMAZING! I got a size 11. I normally wear a 9 1/2 EE, but 11's fit fine. They are really great! If you haven't gotten a pair yet, you need to get them. If anyone in here is "thinking" about ordering a pair of Todd's boots, but just aren't sure, I can assure you that you would not be wasting your money. These boots are STRONG, durable, and have quickly become one of my favorite pair of shoes. Anyone in here concerned about the smooth sole, don't worry. The sole is smooth, but it can get friction on any surface! You won't slip in the rain with Todd's boots!

Todd, GREAT GREAT GREAT JOB!!! :notworthy:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Good news Mississippi Jones. Glad you got your new boots. You ordered an 11 with your foot size a 9.5EE. Did you go up a size due to the width of your foot, instead of a 10?

Regards,

Soup
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Hi, Soup. Yes I did move up to an 11 because of the width of my foot. I wear cowboy boots alot when I'm riding my horses, so I have had quite an experience with boots. So I knew from experience that an 11D would do better than a 10D due to the wide width of my foot. It's still a little tight, but not bad. A 10D would have been too tight.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Can't speak for everyone, but I never expected to get a pair of Aldens for $75, just wanted the look of the ones used in film. These boots are very close to Alden's, cork soles, inside liner, etc., faithful reproductions. Durability will be proven as time goes on....but I suspect the outcome might similiar to the standard jacket, may hold up better than expected.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

That's what I thought you may have done. I have a 9-9.5D foot, a little on the low side of D, and ordered a size 10. Mine should be home when I get there, UPS says "out for delivery". Hope mine work out as well as yours have.

Regards,

Soup
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

If your foot is a D width, then it should work, Soup. You won't be disappointed! You'll love them! You'll be surprised how durable they are for $75!

By the way, I've seen the hype about people not having the correct size printed inside their boots. I ordered a size 11, and have "11" printed on the inside. So my boots are correct.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Okay, I finally got a morning when I could attend to this.

The sizing is WAY off - I'm not real pleased and am very eager to find out why. The stated sizes don't correspond to any other shoe sizing system there is. After careful measuring of the insoles and comparing with several sizing charts (not all manufacturers stick to the charts, BTW) the actual sizes are off by 2 sizes. My 8 is a 6, my 12 is a 10, etc. I have changed the size listings on the website, so hopefully people will get the right size from now on.

I don't understand how this could happen. They made standard sizes to the right dimensions - just the wrong sizes.

Good news is - if you wanted a smaller size - I got 'em!

After I get this straightened out with the mfg, I will place an order for the larger sizes up to 13. I have a EEEE foot, and I could wear the 12's okay, so I think they are a little wide for a D. I'll have them look at that, too.

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. I think I've found a work-around for now.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Todd, will you do anything to help out people that already have theirs who might have a shoe that's too small but there isn't a larger size available? I would like a "real" 12 or 13 if they still run small.

Thanks for all your attentivness!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'll be glad to issue a refund if I don't have a boot to fit you, shipping included. When I get in the larger sizes, I'll post the news here and you can re-order.
TomK
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by TomK »

Todd I appreciate your honesty but this is a real bummer. I've already paid 40 dollars for shipping to the UK, and there's a fair chance I'll have to pay about the same in customs etc charges, all for boots that are almost certainly going to be of no use to me as I ordered the same size as my Aldens, i.e. 10D.

I expect I'm not the only overseas buyer so what's the plan for me and others like me?

:cry:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

todd,

i sent back my 9's and asked for a 10.......should i got to an 11? my feet pretty much fits size 9's across the board (other than alden, i go to 8.5). please let me know.

thanks,

gil
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Well, like Todd said, they're a little wide for a D. Since I have a EE foot, my 11 (or should I say my 9) fits good. I thought it was a little snug for an 11. :-k
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Opps, hope mine fit, will know in about an hour.......

Regards,

Soup
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Mississippi Jones wrote:Well, like Todd said, they're a little wide for a D. Since I have a EE foot, my 11 (or should I say my 9) fits good. I thought it was a little snug for an 11. :-k
Interesting. My impression of the width was that it was most like a medium, or a B.
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

OK, I took my size 10 to a custom shoe shop to see if they could widen them, he said it should stretch well and he was impressed with the construction of the boot, he said the sole should last for a long time and that it looked like a good price for the quality.

He should have them ready Friday and I'll post the results.

I will probably order an 11 for winter use and use these for summer with thin socks if they work out.

HJoe
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

HJoe wrote:...he was impressed with the construction of the boot, he said the sole should last for a long time and that it looked like a good price for the quality.
That's awesome news!

I think I'll hold onto mine. They have stretched a bit in width and now are comfortable with a thin sock (what I normally wear anyway). I put on some Pecards for a little waterproofing and will eventually get some round laces (I know, flat laces come with Alden's, but I like how regular hiking laces work with the gromets).

I have to disagree with the shoes being two sizes too small and also wide, at least not the 12's. The 12's are at most a half size too small and more or a normal D width. Just MHO.
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Im very apprehensive about my boots arriving now. Just hope my feet are small enough to fit. At least the Raiders gloves should be ok. :lol:
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Texan Scott wrote: Interesting. My impression of the width was that it was most like a medium, or a B.
That was my impression too. I don't have a problem with the length of the boot, but the width is much smaller than any other "D" boot I own. I've been wearing these things around since last Thursday and applied Pecards over the weekend to help break them in, so I guess I'll have to keep them. They have stretched with all the wear and tear, but are still a little tight.

HJoe, I'll be interested to learn if the shoe repair shop can add a couple of sizes to the width of yours.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Well, I received my boots from Todd a few hours ago, so I thought I would comment on them. WOW!! They have exceeded my overall expectations. First off, they were slightly heavier than I thought they would be, but that just made me think quality instead of cheaply made. The color looks exactly like the comparison that Todd provided earlier, more brown with a slight reddish tint. The stitching looks good, the soles and heel seem durable and look spot on. The fit was perfect for me. I am a 9-9.5D (right foot and left foot), ordered the 10. They were marked 10's, but they feel maybe a half size smaller than that. Todd has already addressed the sizing problems, but at least mine are keepers. I tried them with heavy socks, (a little snug) and then my regular dress socks. I have maybe 3/8" toe clearance at the ends.
I actually left home with them and went to Home Depot on an errand. I walked quite a bit on the concrete there, no slipping what so ever on the floors, even where sawdust was present (sawdust and smooth concrete) very
tricky. I think Todd will be selling many a pair, at least I will buying more in the future.

I won't compare them to Aldens, since I have never owned a pair of them, however I have wore Redwings for much of my life. Will these be as durable? Too early to tell, but I know a well made shoe such as Redwings are, and these I feel will be a good shoe, for the price. Todd hit a home run with these, very inexpensive and the only boot I have seen remotely close to the Raiders boot, with out being Aldens.

If you like Rockport Farnums, (I have a pair too) you will really like these.

Regards,

Soup
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Puppetboy wrote:After I get this straightened out with the mfg, I will place an order for the larger sizes up to 13. I have a EEEE foot, and I could wear the 12's okay, so I think they are a little wide for a D. I'll have them look at that, too.

Sorry for the trouble, everyone. I think I've found a work-around for now.
Just for the sake of clarification--now that the sizing discrepancy is being addressed, will this be corrected at some point so that the shoes will be true-to-size, or is it too soon to make this determination?

And, btw, thank you for your diligence and patience when dealing with us lunatics! ;-)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I have already contacted the mfg about the size discrepancy and sent him photos. For the current "mis-marked" batch, we'll have to deal with it. But I will see to it that the next run is correct.
deputychino
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

size 11 boots

Post by deputychino »

I got mine today, and they fit me. I wear between a 10.5-11.5 depending on the shoe. I went with the 11's before we found out they run small. I will say that are pretty narrow and I don't have wide feet by any means. I think they will stretch over time and become more comfortable the more I wear them. So anyone who is waiting on their shoes it's not a lock that they will be too small.