Could this be the photographic evidence...

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Could this be the photographic evidence...

Post by Canyon »

...to show that the hat is indeed gray/grey? :mrgreen:

Now, I know that this has now been confirmed by Spielberg as he mentioned that Indy had two different coloured hats (brown for adventure and grey for travel) and I really don't want to start another brown/grey war on COW :? but I found something interesting I thought I would share with you. :mrgreen:

On Friday night I found a KOTCS 2009 annual published by Pedigree and naturally, I had to have it! :lol:

Amongst the various bits and pieces about Indy, there are some interesting photograps, one which caught my eye of Indy stood at the top of the Washington Steps speaking with Marcus and the brim of the hat definately looks grey.

Take a look:

Now I know that the rest of the hat looks a lot darker, but I'm definately seeing grey on the brim! :)

Also, can anyone see a redish colour inside of the hat (quite possibly the Herbert Johnson label?)

Here is an enlarged copy...

What do you guys think?
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Definitely gray. :Plymouth:
Jorenz
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jorenz »

I don't know...... It definitely looks a bit tan or beige on Karen's head. :lol:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

You guys.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

It looks grey to me, especially since brown is showing up real distinctly in Indy's shoes and the door behind him.

Good find Canyon.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Brown shoes on blue suit... ugh! :shock:
LOL kidding aside, I know he's holding a hat.. but somehow I find hard to figure out what i'm a looking at there. Anyway I've never seen this picture, EVER. Thanks for posting it Canyon
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Never mind that Steven Spielberg himself said it was gray... :roll:
Curator Rick
Scoundrel
Location: Warehouse 53,searching for my artifact. D.B.S.S.W.D.D.

Post by Curator Rick »

:roll: Boy, just think - in ten years they'll be arguing over whether Spalkos out fit was light glue or blue/grey or (as things fade with age) green/ grey :lol: Love ya Stella. ;-)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Anyone else sees a green hat with a pink ribbon?

... no really!

And possibly not Marcus there. Doesn't look like Marcus, I've always thought that guy was the "wardrobe man" handing to Indy his hat back when he was going out :lol:
Last edited by Erri on Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

Yes, but that's only because most of us have been staring at screen grabs for so long that we're color blind. :lol:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

whipwarrior wrote:
Yes, but that's only because most of us have been staring at screen grabs for so long that we're color blind. :lol:
Yes that would explain actually ](*,)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Um.....Well, I guess we all know now the hat was supposed to be gray but it still wasn't the same gray they used in KOTCS. Either that or it was the same shade of gray with different lighting.

Anyway...

I noticed something, for me anyway, that is even more interesting in that pic. Is Indy supposed to be shaking hands with Marcus in that scene? I always assumed that's who that was. Now that I look at it closer that doesn't look like Denholm Elliot at all in the shot.

Is that his stand in or just some other government official?
indyrocks
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyrocks »

That is definitely Denholm Elliott. You can tell by his stance plus he was pretty tall.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

indyrocks wrote:That is definitely Denholm Elliott. You can tell by his stance plus he was pretty tall.
I'm sure if you check a screengrab from dvd you'll see that it's not him. Don't quote me on that though.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Never mind that Steven Spielberg himself said it was gray... :roll:
Bink, I do hear you.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

BendingOak wrote:
binkmeisterRick wrote:Never mind that Steven Spielberg himself said it was gray... :roll:
Bink, I do hear you.
Me too, but I have also read the second line of Canyon's post
Canyon wrote:Now, I know that this has now been confirmed by Spielberg as he mentioned that Indy had two different coloured hats (brown for adventure and grey for travel) and I really don't want to start another brown/grey war on COW but I found something interesting I thought I would share with you.
;-)

Regards, Geert
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Obviously green. Probably used on the ToD bridge.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Forget the hat! That suit is deep violet, not navy blue! And the shoes are cordovan! Some one call Spielberg, quick. I want to see the proof! This isn't over. The truth shall be revealed! :[
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Nice find Canyon. :notworthy: 6 months or so too late but nice. :P
Last edited by Ark Hunter on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey! Forget about the (long ago resolved - as we all know) issue of the color of the fedora for a minute...

Take a look at those SHOES!
:[

What color are THEY?
:-k

Aren't those BROWN shoes?

He's wearing BROWN shoes with a NAVY BLUE suit?
:shock:

Annnnnnnnnd... discuss.
8)

(Hmmm... maybe I should start a new thread in General Gear called "Did Indy Commit a Fashion Faux Pas in 1936?"...)
:P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Sorry, I've read too many 1930's magazine ads over the years with this color mix. It was accepted during that time period.

You wore what you had, as you have to remember, it was the Great Depression (what ever was so 'great' about it is still a question :-k ;-) ), and color matching was a secondary thing. The fact you HAD a pair of decent shoes to go with your suit was good enough. Color matching was the LEAST of your 'problems'. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
lc1484
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by lc1484 »

This has nothing to do with the hat but the last scene on those steps were the steps to San Francisco's City Hall...and in LC, the Nazi Zeppelin airfield station was Treasure Island...

Just some SF/IJ trivia..

:-k
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

I am kind of upset and I don't mean to be funny, but I am trying my hardest here to post something important, and it just feels that this thread is not being taken very seriously. :cry:

Yes, I may post about how gorgeous Indy/Harrison is, but I do have the ability to come up with, what I think to be some genuine theories etc about the gear. :roll:

On a good note, thanks for the genuine replies, and Chewie, you're forgiven cos you're a sweetheart. :[ :mrgreen:

I apologise in advance if these comments have upset anyone as such is not my intention. :oops:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Well, I apologize if no one got a kick outta my part in being silly... (and for the Record, Michaelson... I'm not REALLY a guy who gives flying "dang" about color co-ordination... I just hadn't noticed what HF WAS wearing on his feet until this photo...)
Which brings me to your photo, Canyon...
To give credit where credit is due, I think this photo is a really COOL find - AND really a treat to SEE (and I think it would've ended a lot of the arguing back in the "is that hat brown or grey?" Days)...
But I also think a lot of people who frequent these threads suffer a little from "Oh NO! Not THIS subject AGAIN!"
Now, if you'll all excuse me I'm gonna stroll over to the Fedora Boards to ask the question "What's the BEST fedora to buy if I want a "true" Indy hat?" (THAT oughta get 'em going!)
:P
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Mitch LaRue wrote:(and for the Record, Michaelson... I'm not REALLY a guy who gives flying "dang" about color co-ordination... I just hadn't noticed what HF WAS wearing on his feet until this photo...)
Duly noted and entered in the log. 8)

Canyon, don't take it personally. This photo has been posted before in other venues, and the color distinction also noted. It's refreshing to see it resurface, and sometimes what was old is once again new. As Mitch pointed out, HE wasn't aware of the color of the shoes to suit.

So, don't feel bad, but at the same time don't get mad at folks for not responding, or responding in a silly manner, as some remember the debate over the photo, and there was just no reason to remark about it again. They were at least trying to keep the thread alive, as sometimes a thread completely dies from lack of interest or no opinion, and the original poster gets their feelings hurt as they think folks just don't care.

We care about you and your posts, young lady.

For others, it's all brand new, so keep posting these finds. New observations keep surfacing and it's great to revisit these things.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I LOVE that pic, Stella. What exactly is the book it's from?
aza1701
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by aza1701 »

Well, that's the first time I'VE seen this photo. Very interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.

Aza1701
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Michaelson, forgive me. :oops: I guess that I sometimes get frustrated as I was really excited when I found the photo. :lol:
Michaelson wrote:We care about you and your posts, young lady.

HIGH regards! Michaelson
Thanks. That means a lot. :)
agent5 wrote:I LOVE that pic, Stella. What exactly is the book it's from?
Jason, I got it from this book:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Jones-A ... pd_sim_b_1

There are a few nice Raiders pics in there which I'll scan and send along to you. :mrgreen:

Aza, thanks also. ;-)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

You know, I like the photo and I was looking at it again just now. Putting aside it's place in the great brown-gray debate, it's a really nice picture. It really captures a great feel that can be overlooked while watching the film. The stateliness of the setting, the use of color, the tell-tale signs of the period. I'm no photographer, but find the overall image rather good for a movie still.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Maybe MythBusters can "Confirm" the brown vs gray/grey on their Indiana Jones special :Plymouth: :lol:

Just kidding, great find, Canyon, I never even HEARD of that book. Gonna have to pick up a copy. I've always believed the "travel hat" was grey/gray, but I think it would be funny seeing Adam and Jamie doing different lighting tests on various fedoras. About the "mistaken identity" of Marcus: lets not forget that sometimes stand-ins are needed due to schedualing, location of the shot, etc...Remember, Ronald Lacey was in the car when they pulled up in the round-a-bout/rotary/whatever, but later replaced by a dummy for the "melon smash-dog yelp". I can't recall the exact shot, but it could have just been a hat-check guy as "Indy" walked out of the room. "Anything can happen".

;-)