AB Deluxe Pics! Post 'em up!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

AB Deluxe Pics! Post 'em up!

Post by jnicktem »

I want to see some pics of Adventurebilt Deluxes! I know there is a thread on Adventurebilt pictures, but that is a combo of both AB's, and more reg AB's than AB Deluxes. Since I have just ordered an AB Deluxe, I want to see pictures of them (without going through the 23 pages that the other thread has trying to find a deluxe).

So, show off those AB Deluxe's! :D
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

GCR, you LC/KOTCS hybrid looks awesome! I can´t stop looking at your pictures. Great hat!
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Here is my ABD made by Marc. It was a Raiders hat but I sent it to Steve to have him re-block it to a CS hat. I did this because I wanted a hat that both men have worked and in my mind is a true CS hat.

Sorry about the bad shots it's from my iphone.

jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Guys you have some awesome hats there, those are exceptional.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Marc is just fantastic at what he does. The only problem is that you really won't ever understand how nice his hats are ( or Steve's ) unless you have it in your hands. Pics just don't do them justice. Even when they looks fantastic in all this photo's posted , they are just that much better in person.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

BendingOak wrote:Marc is just fantastic at what he does. The only problem is that you really won't ever understand how nice his hats are ( or Steve's ) unless you have it in your hands. Pics just don't do them justice. Even when they looks fantastic in all this photo's posted , they are just that much better in person.
Agreed 100% :tup: I had owned other hats before, even other custom hats, but the quality and craftsmanship of the ABD really blew me away.

As this is a "pic thread", here are a few more pics for anyone who might be wondering what my Raiders style ABD looks like when it's not covered with dirt & dust.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... tures6.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... tures5.jpg
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... tures3.jpg

An old shot of the hat, right after the first bash, when it was only a few hours out of the box.

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... bd2047.jpg

The awesome ABD liners (as cool as the new liners with the new logo will be, I'm still going to miss the old burgundy & gold Ra liner.)

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... bd2063.jpg
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Cheers,
G-MANN
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

wow :shock: that's quite the collection you have there G-MANN.

I wish I could finish college real quick so I could finaly get a job that alowed me to spend that much money on stuff..

Regards, Geert
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Wow! 8) ,what a feast for the eyeballs!..excuse me I've just dribbled on my keyboard! :lol:
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

You guys are making me jealous of your ADBs. They look splendid!
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

It's from the side view that I recognize the hat as raiders, but I don't know how I feel about the front...the felt looks very shinny?

Matt
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

moviematt1989 wrote:It's from the side view that I recognize the hat as raiders, but I don't know how I feel about the front...the felt looks very shinny?

Matt
which hat are you talking about? there are quite a few on her already.

Regards, Geert
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

The Shinny seen in GCR's post and the side view from G-Manns post
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

The only thing I see in those pics is how the nap of the felt reacts to the lighting conditions. Nothing that seems strange to me IMO

Regards, Geert
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Those lighter areas could be a 'marbling' effect if the felt was predistressed.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

moviematt1989 wrote:The Shinny seen in GCR's post and the side view from G-Manns post
Which hat? (I have two) And which post?

I'm not seeing any of the shine you're talling about in any of my pics, but perhaps the extremely fine finish of the fur felt is just doing some funny things under the lighting conditions. I brushed each of my hats before snapping pics (except for the pics of the Raiders hat with dust and dirt all over it, obviously). I also carefully manipulated the lighting in most of my pics to better show off certain details of the bash by creating shadows, etc. It's possible the felt finish ended up reacting funny to all of that, I don't know.

G-MANN's pics give a better representation of what the felt looks like under normal, natural lighting conditions. With a little normal wear, whatever shine may exist on these hats will surely die down.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

bare in mind that its beaver and not hj rabbit. you can get beaver felt to look shiney like that.....haven't seen that from rabbit as of yet.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Geez everyone, those are some nice looking lids! It makes it just that much harder to wait for mine!
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

GCR this was the one. http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p163 ... bd2047.jpg

But I think your probably right, just the manipulation of the light and the fairness of the felt. and by no means think i'm down talking your hat, I'm just learning what I should expect from certain hats.

Best,

Matt
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

There is a bit of shine on the hat, but I think it is just the lighting.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

jnicktem wrote:There is a bit of shine on the hat, but I think it is just the lighting.
That is correct. There is no shine to Marc's felt.

G-MANN
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Yeah, that is mostly the lighting in this pic:

I had a lot of indoor artificial light combined with a bright flash at close proximity. Plus, that pic is of the hat when it was practically brand new and only a few hours out of the box. It had experienced absolutely zero wear & tear at that point, so the initial finish of the felt, as it comes from Marc, is essentially unchanged in that pic. Under these sorts of conditions, there may appear to be a slight luster, but under normal, "real life" conditions, this hat nevers looks shiny.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Thanks for clarifying, you have a great hat. Post some pics up of you in the dirt with it :)

Best,

Matt
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Geez those are some great looking lids!!! Can I borrow one of you guys' hats until mine arrives? ;-)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I know there has to be more AB Deluxes out there... don't be afraid to show them off! :)
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

jnicktem wrote:I know there has to be more AB Deluxes out there... don't be afraid to show them off! :)
Well, I'll post them when my hat arrives... In a YEAR! :lol:
Kind regards,
-Alfonso :)
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

Some pictures of my AB Deluxe received today:

GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Chaval85 wrote:Some pictures of my AB Deluxe received today:

Chaval, that's a sweet looking hat, but that's a regular Adventurebilt, not an AB Deluxe. ;-)
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I gotta stop looking at these AB picture post threads. I WANT MY HAT!!! ](*,)
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

GCR wrote: Chaval, that's a sweet looking hat, but that's a regular Adventurebilt, not an AB Deluxe. ;-)
Oooops, sorry. :oops: I made a mistake with Marc's AB, which are the AB Deluxe, right?

1 year ago the Steve AB's were normal and deluxe and I bought deluxe in that time and for that I made this mistake.

Sorry again. :[
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Chaval85 wrote:
GCR wrote: Chaval, that's a sweet looking hat, but that's a regular Adventurebilt, not an AB Deluxe. ;-)
Oooops, sorry. :oops: I made a mistake with Marc's AB, which are the AB Deluxe, right?

1 year ago the Steve AB's were normal and deluxe and I bought deluxe in that time and for that I made this mistake.

Sorry again. :[
Marc is the only one who ever offered the AB Deluxe. Steve used to offer a rabbit felt version and a beaver felt version of the regular AB (now he strictly offers beaver), but he never offered the "Deluxe" version. That has always been Marc's thing. ;-)

Still that's a nice looking hat you've got. :tup: I just wouldn't want anyone to get confused looking at your pics, since there seems to be enough confusion about which AB is which these days. :lol:
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

Uoo... sorry again. I was confused. Now it's all clear. ;-)

Thank you for your kind words, GCR.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Chaval85 wrote:Some pictures of my AB Deluxe received today:

It looks a little tapered in the first pic.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

it's the photo's
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

So considering how many of ABD's are made, shouldn't we have more posts from guys about em'?....
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Yes, indeed. More pics! I ordered an ABD a few weeks back and I want to see more of what I've got to look forward to! So come on, you other lucky so-and-sos who have 'em, post 'em up! ;-) :)
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

Indiana Strones wrote:It looks a little tapered in the first pic.
Like BendingOak says, it's the photo, besides my cam it's not so good. I'll try post better pics tomorrow... with better light. I promise. ;-)
Randall
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Randall »

I don't know if I would buy an AB Deluxe. If money were no object, I would stick to the "regular" AB...made by The Man who started the company and who was the go-to guy when deciding on a hatter for KotCS. Besides, they are made in the good ol' U.S. of A and that means a lot to me.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Randall wrote:I don't know if I would buy an AB Deluxe. If money were no object, I would stick to the "regular" AB...made by The Man who started the company and who was the go-to guy when deciding on a hatter for KotCS. Besides, they are made in the good ol' U.S. of A and that means a lot to me.
To each his own, but until you've seen and held (and even worn) one of Marc's hats in person, there is simply no way to properly describe how amazing they really are. I've owned both the Regular AB from Steve and two AB Deluxe hats from Marc. The AB from Steve was a very fine hat, but the Deluxe took my breath away. It's truly an amazing lid, and the service that came with it was every bit as "deluxe" as the hat itself.

Of course, if Marc moved to the States and made these hats in the "good ol' U.S. of A" instead of Germany (EU member), he'd be able to sell them for about the same price as Steve's regular AB. Those pesky EU taxes, along with the poor exchange rate between dollars and Euro, are what drives the price so high. However, if someone were lucky enough to be in a position where money was no object, they'd be a little crazy not to check out one of Marc's masterpieces. ;-)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

GCR wrote:
Randall wrote:I don't know if I would buy an AB Deluxe. If money were no object, I would stick to the "regular" AB...made by The Man who started the company and who was the go-to guy when deciding on a hatter for KotCS. Besides, they are made in the good ol' U.S. of A and that means a lot to me.
To each his own, but until you've seen and held (and even worn) one of Marc's hats in person, there is simply no way to properly describe how amazing they really are. I've owned both the Regular AB from Steve and two AB Deluxe hats from Marc. The AB from Steve was a very fine hat, but the Deluxe took my breath away. It's truly an amazing lid, and the service that came with it was every bit as "deluxe" as the hat itself.

Of course, if Marc moved to the States and made these hats in the "good ol' U.S. of A" instead of Germany (EU member), he'd be able to sell them for about the same price as Steve's regular AB. Those pesky EU taxes, along with the poor exchange rate between dollars and Euro, are what drives the price so high. However, if someone were lucky enough to be in a position where money was no object, they'd be a little crazy not to check out one of Marc's masterpieces. ;-)

I agree that if money is no object you would be crazy not to get one of Marcs hats. He has by far the highest quality materials hands down and He is a master hatter just like Steve. You will not go wrong with Steve's hat either. Both hats are just fantastic and are made by great hatters but Marc's felt is to die for.
kobol
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kobol »

Here is my ABD reblocked by Steve in the CS style.

Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

More pics from my AB, as I promised.

Natural light:

Using flassssssh:

Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

GCR wrote:
Ah! We Europeans are lucky indeed.

Thinking about it, it would be unwise for an EU member to buy an AB :-k adding the costs of taxes plus shipping, you almost reach the price of an ABD.

@Kobol: you know, I love your bash! the CS look seems much more meant for my head shape. the shallow center dent is the ideal: hats always sit on my head and flatten my hair making them so messy :? with a center dent not too deep, I should be able to avoid this problem
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

It's been awhile since I have seen any new pictures of an ABD. So if you got one, post 'em up! :)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Okay, now it has been even longer since there have been any more pics of AB deluxes... so post 'em up!!! :)
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

Ordered mine from marc October of 08, so it will be a while before i can show it off.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: AB Deluxe Pics! Post 'em up!

Post by jnicktem »

My ABD was ordered in September of '08.... I'm almost there!!! hahahaha
viper80134
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by viper80134 »

You can rub it in when you post some pics till then your in the same boat. HAHA!! :twisted:

J/K Can't wait to see it, did you decide on a bash yet?
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Yeah, I am going for a generic Raiders Bash... I am not really that into SA so I am not looking for a style specific to a scene or anything. How about you?