DIY MKVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

DIY MKVII

Post by IdahoJones »

Well I wanted to share with you guys my attempt to put together a homemade MKVII. Working with photos gathered from this site. I was able to put together a pattern. And with a large amount of my wife's help on the sewing machine, I'm really happy with the results.

It still needs a little tweaking. There are a few details that were left out and a few that came out wrong. But with 1 yard I think I have enough for two bags. On the second attempt if your interested Ill put together a tutorial and share my pattern. I still need to go and get the brass snaps. I got the rings at Lowes (1-1/4"). Please any comments or criticisms or corrections will be greatly appreciated. Sorry that was so long.

On to the pictures :whip:

FRONT Bag overall Dimension 10"wide x 9" Tall x 3" Wide

BACK

INSIDE

POCKET SIDE
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff33 ... 0_2754.jpg

DISK SIDE
http://i537.photobucket.com/albums/ff33 ... 0_2755.jpg[img]
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Certainly a better job than I would have done!! :lol:

Nice work!
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Excellent job - great match with the color too! :tup: Image
Indiana O-Town
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana O-Town »

Wow, that's pretty good looking for a "first try"! :shock:
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Thanks, Im headed to the local leather shop at lunch today to see if I can find a good strap. Any suggestions? Things to look for or think about?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Wow, that is amazing. Very nice match on the fabric.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Awesome job! :mrgreen:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Duplicate post. But it's great you will share your patterns and give a tutorial. This looks great.
Indiana O-Town
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana O-Town »

IdahoJones wrote:Thanks, Im headed to the local leather shop at lunch today to see if I can find a good strap. Any suggestions? Things to look for or think about?
This is probably too late, but I bet you can get a "belt blank" along with the right closures... chicago screws, I think???? Probably less then $30 out the door. You'll have to dye the leather, but I don't think that'd pose a problem for you. ;-)
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Raider S wrote:Duplicate post. But it's great you will share your patterns and give a tutorial. This looks great.
Your more than welcome.
Indiana O-Town wrote:This is probably too late, but I bet you can get a "belt blank" along with the right closures... chicago screws, I think???? Probably less then $30 out the door. You'll have to dye the leather, but I don't think that'd pose a problem for you.

No the saddle shop was closed during the lunch hour, but I put a call into the local Tandys and I think I can get all the stuff here locally. Any advice on finishing the leather for a Raider look? I haven't done any leather work since BSA summer camp days....
Indiana O-Town
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indiana O-Town »

I'm no good in that department, that was just my idea that I had thought of trying out... but I'm running low on cash and not confident I could pull it off. You can read all about my bag woes (as if you haven't heard my belly-aching yet!) here...
spenyk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by spenyk »

I would love a tutorial since I am hoping to create my own MKV
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Little update- Found the brass snaps and got those installed. I also spent some time in the shop trying to form a disk out of some thin aluminum sheet metal we had at the shop. No luck with that, I'm just glad I didn't cut myself. :lol: I also started drafting out the pattern in Autocad. No real distressing yet.

NatiJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by NatiJones »

WOW!!! I'm quite impressed!! That looks amazing! I love the way you put such great work on the detail in the stitching!!!

Nati :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

IdahoJones wrote:Thanks, Im headed to the local leather shop at lunch today to see if I can find a good strap. Any suggestions? Things to look for or think about?
Like you seem to be, I'm a do-it-myself kind of guy, but for less than the cost of the materials, leather dye, rivets, chicago screws, tools, and time involved in making your own strap, you could buy yourself one of Todd's straps. You would even have an acceptably SA slide buckle instead of one that is "close enough."

I don't mean to completely endorse Todd's straps as there are others out there that have a great reputation. It's just that his is the only one that I'm personally familiar with.

This posting is just a suggestion. But, if saving money isn't your motivation for doing it yourself, and you have plenty of time, then definitely do it yourself. I find a lot of meaning in creating my own "toys."
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Cammer wrote:This posting is just a suggestion. But, if saving money isn't your motivation for doing it yourself, and you have plenty of time, then definitely do it yourself. I find a lot of meaning in creating my own "toys."
Thanks for bring this up. I took another look at his site and you make a good point. He also seems to have a good rep. Ill have to explore this option further.

NatiJones wrote:WOW!!! I'm quite impressed!! That looks amazing! I love the way you put such great work on the detail in the stitching!!!
Thanks and back at ya :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
spenyk
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by spenyk »

Since this turned out great is there still a chance of a tutorial?
NatiJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by NatiJones »

spenyk wrote:Since this turned out great is there still a chance of a tutorial?

I'd really like one too!!! Please :) :) :)
IdahoJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IdahoJones »

Yup still planning on putting together a tutorial, with picture goodness. :)

It just may take me a while to get my wife to sit down at the sewing machine again before we leave for our 10 year anniversary cruse to Ensenada the 2nd week of November. She's working nights now and that leaves very few Saturdays to get everything together.
NatiJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by NatiJones »

IdahoJones wrote:Yup still planning on putting together a tutorial, with picture goodness. :)

It just may take me a while to get my wife to sit down at the sewing machine again before we leave for our 10 year anniversary cruse to Ensenada the 2nd week of November. She's working nights now and that leaves very few Saturdays to get everything together.

Congrats on the anniversary!!!!