Thinking of ordering a HH Wested...

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

morganswift

Thinking of ordering a HH Wested...

Post by morganswift »

Hi All

Have worn and enjoyed my authentic lambskin Wested pretty much every day since March when I bought it but the weather's getting cooler (that's my excuse for treating myself to a 2nd Wested anyway :lol: ) and I'm thinking of ordering a horse hide jacket...

To the Wested HH owners, how do you find the drape compares to the lambskin and any pictures, especially of recent examples would be fantastic. Is it a touch darker than the lambskin?

Cheers
Alex
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

The horsehide is quite a bit heavier and stiffer than the lamb. The drape is different and it doesn't react and flow like the lamb. I'm not sure if it's actually THAT much warmer, but it sure is a sturdy jacket. I've actually gotten compliments on the leather itself.
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

My HH Wested wasn't really warm enough for cold weather (and I love being cold). The HH is way too thin. Although like you I also make any excuse I can to get new stuff! :)

LJ
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Why not novapelle? It's a beautiful hide, and heavy enough for the cold season! ;-)
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

It's not the hide, it's in the layering. I think the horsehide is a good choise good luck,
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Thanks, guys.

Actually where I live the winters aren't that cold so it's a very feeble reason to buy another jacket :lol: . Truth is, I just fancy another one and I think I'm just kind of leaning towards the HH because it's the other end of the spectrum from the lambskin. So I get the same nice fit and style but in a far sturdier leather.

I've seen some great examples on here but any pics of recent HH jackets would be interesting...

Alex
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Alex,

You might have seen mine before. It a couple of years old and I've put it through a washing machine. You'll find it's very, very different to wearing a lamb. It feels much heavier and stiffer really. But definitely more substantial.

It's a mid to dark brown colour, so you won't have any of the milk chocolate colour some people don't like with authentic brown.

morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Thanks, kt. That's a really handsome jacket and I like the slightly darker tone. Yes, looks a lot thicker than the lambskin. Different enough I think to warrant a purchase :)

If anyone has any further pics to prod me in the right direction that'd be great...

Alex
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

here are a few pictures of my HH

ImageImage
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Cheers, holt. Yeah, I'm liking the HH more and more. It's a kind of bluey/brown (if that's possible :lol: )

Now the question is, do I go for another Raiders or make a jump to an LC! Decisions, decisions. Anyone got an LC HH? :)

Alex
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Have a look at his thread...

viewtopic.php?t=34355
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

morganswift wrote:
Anyone got an LC HH? :)

Alex
I also have the LC.the most acurrate LC that ever came out of wested.

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Dark brown or auth. brown? Sorry Holt I can't remember... :oops:
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

aut.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Thnx. Great colour in both pics.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

thanx.

did you notice..no karate chop hands ;-)
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

:rolling:
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Cheers Indiana Strones. Crazy how much that LC jacket looks like a Crystal Skull jacket...

And thanks, holt. That's great for comparison. Now can I see both jackets with the karate chop hands? :whip:

Confused now. I really like the Raiders jacket but the LC in HH makes it sufficiently different from my Raiders lambskin to justify (to my wallet) the expense of a 2nd jacket - if that makes sense. Think it's gotta be HH either way though...

Alex
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Indiana Holt wrote:thanx.

I love the kung fu grip, means you're ready for action at the drop of a hat. BTW, where in Norway are you? My grandmother's mother came from Farsund. Don't know if any family was left behind. Would be nice to find out if there's any family there. Beautiful country. Sorry for being OT.
Back to your normal programming.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Farsund.never been there myself..I have heard it is beautifull there.

I live in a town called Larvik
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Indiana Holt wrote:thanx.

Mmmhh... I'm not so sure about the first pic... :-k :)
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Rather than start another horsehide topic, I hope you don't mind if I add a question directed at horsehide owners, and more specifically, motorcycle riders:

How would the horsehide hold up as a motorcycle jacket?
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

it will hold up ;-)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

afrayedknot wrote:Rather than start another horsehide topic, I hope you don't mind if I add a question directed at horsehide owners, and more specifically, motorcycle riders:

How would the horsehide hold up as a motorcycle jacket?
I don't think it should be used as a motorcycle leather. The type of leather people choose for bike leather is selected for strength, abrasion resistance and often weight. The leather for these jackets is chosen for drape, colour then weight, they are made from a 'fine' quality leather, Bike leather first and foremost chosen on strength.

So, even though it may be a surprise to some, I cannot support any of the Wested Indy jackets as a bike jacket. Better to have a specific jacket for that plus all the armour a modern jacket includes too.

Of course there have been jackets that have survived tumbles and been praised by there owners over the years too!
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

afrayedknot wrote: How would the horsehide hold up as a motorcycle jacket?
Horsehide is probably the most sought after hide for quality motorcycle jackets, and HH moto jackets demand some high dollar too. The qualities of water resistance, abrasion resistance, and the fact that HH is said to mold/form to your body with long-term use better than any other leather make HH great for riding (and there's the whole nastalgia thing too).

With that said, I agree with KT that Westeds are not suitable for motorcycle riding. Will they handle a 10 mph crash? Sure, but I wouldn't want to slide even 20 ft in one. Heavyweight moto jackets are usually 4+ ounce leather, and although I have no stats on the weights of Indy jacket leathers, the three different Westeds I've handled (all of different leathers) don't even come close (even my HH & Novapelle).

So HH as a moto jacket.. definitely... but a HH Indy as a moto jacket, nah.

LJ
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've been thinking of going this way myself and this thread has about put me over the top.

Hear that?

That's my bank account screaming.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I hear it my friend. :lol:
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I hear it too, it's the underlying scream in the background that is stopping ET from phoning us. ;).
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I hear the scream too... wait.. no... that's my wife screaming about the thought of another leather jacket in the closet. Doh!

LJ
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

:shock: AWESOME grain Kt!!! Just AWESOME!!!

Absolutely love it!!! Now, do I really need another hh jacket from Peter? - Certainly not. But who's in this hobby due to what they really NEED anyway :lol:

Anybody washed an authentic lamb so far? Chris?

Regards,

Marc
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Marc wrote::shock: AWESOME grain Kt!!! Just AWESOME!!!

Absolutely love it!!! Now, do I really need another hh jacket from Peter? - Certainly not. But who's in this hobby due to what they really NEED anyway :lol:

Anybody washed an authentic lamb so far? Chris?

Regards,

Marc
I'm probably misreading this but do you mean run an authentic lamb through the washing machine? If so, I have.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

And what's the result?
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Yes, post some picture please!

I love the durability and toughness of Peter's horsehide. It's a real adventurer's jacket and yet the color is very, very s.a.. However, as for owning something that is a close as humanly possible to the real deal an authentic lamb that has gone through some good beating is very tempting as well.

Regards,

Marc
morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Kt, when you say run through a washing machine, do you mean a quick, cool wash without any kind of soap?

Yes, I'd like to see the lambskin that went through the wash too...

Alex
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

morganswift wrote:Kt, when you say run through a washing machine, do you mean a quick, cool wash without any kind of soap?

Yes, I'd like to see the lambskin that went through the wash too...

Alex
40°C wash full cycle front loader with detergent, "He not mad... he CWAIZY!!!"

My old style lamb (seal brown I believe) had also been through the washer.

morganswift

Post by morganswift »

Wow, you're brave, Kt. Looks pretty cool. Is all that weathering due to the wash? is that rust on the D rings? :o Did it shrink?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I'll post some pics of my ROLA special that I washed later on today.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I never knew you could wash a leather jacket in the washing machine.my dad always told me to clean a leather jacket take a damp cloth and wipe it down, does washing it make it wrinkle like the picture or does it come out clean and can you hang dry it and does it look good as new?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

morganswift wrote:Wow, you're brave, Kt. Looks pretty cool. Is all that weathering due to the wash? is that rust on the D rings? :o Did it shrink?
Obviously I'm not the first person to wash their jacket, we've been told that some of the film jackets were washed to start with too. :)

All the wrinkling is from the washing and the shine is knocked back. You may get some areas where the leather turns white or grey, I'm told that's due to the fats leaching out. Hit it with pecards and it helps it from getting too dry. The weathering on the edges is all natural.

Not rust, those D's were pretty much copper coloured to begin with.

It didn't shrink... I was trying to get it to shrink a little to be honest. But other people have reported shrinkage.

Jacksdad, after washing, it isn't new anymore! ;) Your dad was absolutely right... were bad bad people.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Here's my ROLA special that I put through the machine. Cold wash/cold rinse, medium spin in a front load washer. I let it air dry until damp and put it on. That was a big help because, even though you can't really see it in the pics, the sleeves have some nice wrinkling and the sleeves even curved a bit into the shape of my arms. I don't really think the wash, itself, did all that much except knock off a little shine.

And to get myself a little back on track. I ordered a custom HH from Wested yesterday. I really have high hopes for this being MY definitive Indy jacket.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

crismans wrote:
And to get myself a little back on track. I ordered a custom HH from Wested yesterday. I really have high hopes for this being MY definitive Indy jacket.
What colour you ordered?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Their standard brown horsehide off the custom site.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Congrats on the order crismans. You'll be VERY pleased when it arrives!!!

Do yourself a favor and ask Peter or Gemma to make sure that the cargo pockets are as on mine (Marc Kitter). They'll know what you want ;-)

Regards,

Marc
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Marc wrote:Congrats on the order crismans. You'll be VERY pleased when it arrives!!!

Do yourself a favor and ask Peter or Gemma to make sure that the cargo pockets are as on mine (Marc Kitter). They'll know what you want ;-)

Regards,

Marc
I'll do that. Thanks!