can somebody shorten my whip?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

can somebody shorten my whip?

Post by Rich Johnson »

A while back I bought a really nice 12ft whip. Its 16 plait I think, if I remember correctly.
I have only been able to crack it once since Ive owned it. Its just too darn long.
It spends most of the time being used, sitting in the dirt, its kind of more like flinging it than getting it airborne and cracking it.

Does somebody have the expertise to shorten it to something manageable, like say 10ft or so.

Dont recomend I buy another whip, I spent good money on this one and dont intend to buy another.
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Buy another whip. Simple.

Kidding! Yes. Joe Strain. He can shorten whips and it's not a large fee either. Contact him because his awesome service and I've seen his work on whips before.

But question, why did you get a 12 footer in the 1st place? Such a big whip is never recommended unless you plan to use it as a belt piece (unless your not a beginner)
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Bad purchase decison, also followed them on ebay for a few months as I learned about whips. Liked this style and it was only available in 8ft and 12 ft. Go figure.
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

Don't give up!! I am very new to cracking, having only started in mid July of this year. The only whip for months was a 14 footer and I learned to do the flick, the cattlemans, the side arm and the overhead crack, right and left handed, with this one. I will grant it took me about three weeks of an hour a day or so to get that first set of consistent cracks using the flick. Its funny because I got a 10 footer off ebay and had a devil of a time with it as it felt too short. I also picked up a 6 foot nylon one and find I hit my self with it all the time because its so short-I call it the little squirt!

Good luck with it either way, and remember its supposed to be fun!
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

I don't think he's giving up Bob. But a 12 footer is rather daunting to learn with. A 10 footer would be much better, but a 8 would be perfect. Depends what he's looking for and willing to pay. Not to mention not very friendly on an arm that's not use to the rigorous movement needed.

Either way, let us know what you end up doing. Get us a before shot and after shot to see how it turned out?
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

If 12 is too long, then you might want to try an 8 foot. There will be a definate difference between the way a 12 and an 8 foot handles.

One thing with a longer (10 foot or longer) whip that most beginners do is they rush things. When you throw a 10 foot, there's a lot of hang time from when you throw and when it cracks. Be patient.

Also what cracks are you trying?

Just curious.

Louie

http://bullwhips.org
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

I remember having this discussion with Lauren, about the "ideal" length to learn on....
9ft, 10ft, is a little long...
6 ft is a little too short and quick..

the 8 footer really allows you to SEE the loop forming which is what helped me the most probably.....
you have to WATCH the whip and understand HOW it cracks
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

Post a pic of your whip and info. Maybe someone will trade...

;)
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Here is my bulwhip.

How can I find this Joe Strain fella.

Brisco
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Brisco »

Rich Johnson wrote:How can I find this Joe Strain fella.
Just send him a PM, here is his COW profile: profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=1306

or here is his email: jstrain@northernwhipco.com

For good measure here is his website: http://northernwhipco.com

Good luck.
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

WhipDude wrote:Buy another whip. Simple.

Kidding! Yes. Joe Strain. He can shorten whips and it's not a large fee either. Contact him because his awesome service and I've seen his work on whips before.

But question, why did you get a 12 footer in the 1st place? Such a big whip is never recommended unless you plan to use it as a belt piece (unless your not a beginner)
Plus 1 on that, WhipDude. Joe does great work. I have an 8ft Strain, and I love it.