Todd's Shirt??? "Weird Flare"

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Todd's Shirt??? "Weird Flare"

Post by Indy_1971 »

Let me first off say that I do like the shirt buttttt, does anybody else find it weird how the shirt tapers and then harshly flares out at the bottom???
Was this actually modeled after the original shirt because it doesn't look like that on film; at least not what I can see. Feels weird wearing the shirt not tucked in because it looks so strange. I think you can see that on just about everyone who has sent in a pic.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

The shirt wants to have a narrow waist area, so you get that tailored, fitted look - rather than the baggier look of more modern shirts. The tapered waist is supposed to be there, as far as I know. I love mine, including and especially the tapering. And I wear mine untucked sometimes, too. :-k

Shane
Indy_1971
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy_1971 »

I'm not talking about the taper. I'm talking about the flare, at the bottom of the shirt. The taper is fine but why does it flare out so much at the bottom??? I own a lot of tapered "fitted" shirts and none of them do this?
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

That was a typical feature of men's shirts in the early 20th century. It's odd to me that they got that feature right and missed out on the collar. Shirt collars in the 30's and 40's were much larger and more pointy than on any of the screen shirts and thus not present on the replicas.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I don't notice a flair to mine, I don't wear it untucked [like I do most of my other shirts] so that could have something to do with it.

Randy
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

I'm no expert here, but I would call the slim fit a trait of the 60's or 70's. It didn't hurt any that Mr. Ford was thin in the middle. This was after all, a tailored shirt. It made him look good as his shoulders appear broad, and waist narrow. That's a costume designer's job. Most regular folks don't get a tailored safari shirt.

As far as the flare at the bottom - measure your hips, then measure your waist. If you're in shape your hips should measure out a little larger than your waist. In my opinion, there's nothing wrong with that kind of fit.

Then again, if each one of us were fitted to our shirts instead of buying them off of the rack, they could be tailored to make any shape look good. I'm starting my "thin as Indy" workout and diet regimen, but I'm not getting too far with it!

Regards,

Jake Johnson
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

This flare has been brought up before, I think.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

This thread is worthless without pics (where have I put the...)