Movies & whips:"Underworld"

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Movies & whips:"Underworld"

Post by Dalexs »

FWIW
I just saw a trailer on tv tonight for a film called Underworld due out mid Sept-ish. I thinks its some vampire slayer type movie.

But there was this one scene that shows some guy going after "something"
with what looks like a pair of whips...
it could have been chains I suppose, but he was handling them like whips.

I'll have to try to get a better look.

Like I said, FWIW!

Dalexs
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

I've seen this too, I think they are whips, but he doenst have one he as 2 in each hand. I've been seeing this trailer every week, at the theatre. Very excited about the movie and want to see if those are whips.

Regards, Dan
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

I remember someone posting about this movie maybe 7-8 months ago and mentioning a whip scene.

Neo, 2 whips in each hand? as in 4 whips total? If so, I say they used CGI or found one amazing whip handler.
Swindiana
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Swindiana »

Yes, those are whips, two of them.

http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/underworld/

If you want to put it under the magnifying glass. :wink:

You can hear a :whip:

Swindy
RedburnIV
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by RedburnIV »

Opps! :oops: I ment one in each hand, and they are very long! The guy must be very good with whips, I bet he was sore after they shot that. :lol:

Regards, Dan
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I saw this movie this weekend and it was great. Unfortunately the whip scene was very short, but impressive nonetheless. I'm not sure, but I think the whips had some sort of silver braided into them. It's just an assumption, but he was using them against a werewolf and doing some damage. It's a movie worth seeing.
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Shishak wrote:I saw this movie this weekend and it was great. Unfortunately the whip scene was very short, but impressive nonetheless. I'm not sure, but I think the whips had some sort of silver braided into them. It's just an assumption, but he was using them against a werewolf and doing some damage. It's a movie worth seeing.
Cool, I was wondering how the movie was, I was hoping to go see it this weekend. Its a shame there isnt more whipwork in it, but its cool that there is whips in it atleast.

From what I could tell from the previews, it looked like the whips were braided up black and white, or somehting like the sort, and with the sheen leather finish, I would guess that would give off the silver look. Thats my guess. Thats probobly why everyone thinks they look like chains. I thought they look like chains when I first saw the trailer, but then I realized that chains dont move like that.

Thanks for the review, I hope I can get out to see it this weekend.

Regards,

Paul Nolan
MidWestWhips
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

There is also a movie with the rock and christopher walken coming out where there are two whips being used in a scene.
prettybigguy
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by prettybigguy »

I saw Underworld as well and I thought it was pretty good. It wasn't quite as good as I hoped it would be, but still entertaining. It was like somebody took Blade and The Matrix and mashed them together. It did kind of bother me that one of the vampires walked over to a mirror to check out her hair before joining a big party! ITHOUGHT VAMPIRES DIDN'T CAST REFLECTIONS!?
Shishak is right, the whips were supposed to have silver in them. They made a BIG DEAL of the lethalness of silver to the werewolves.
This movie was shot in part in Hungary and you can certainly tell by watching the credits. Just watch and see how many people named "Lazlo" worked on this film!
PBG
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Blackthorne Rose wrote:There is also a movie with the rock and christopher walken coming out where there are two whips being used in a scene.
I believe Paul Nolan made the whips for that movie. He discussed it here.
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4659
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

Does anyone have good pics or screengrabs of the whips from "Underworld"?
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

PR,

If you go to the Official Website (Google search) and play the trailer, you can pause the playback on the scene, for a semi-screen grab. There is probably an easier way, but if I knew that, I'd make more than $18 an hour. :lol:
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

Thanks, IG. :)