Official Factory Produced KotCS AdventureBilt Fedora (Henry)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

:shock: Okay, I'm not even going to ask my parents to babysit the mail, I'm going to tie them to the garden fence :twisted: That's the second one overseas compared to none in Europe that has arrived :o Ours MUST be here soon :)

Regards, Geert
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

Thanks for the tip... here's a re-try. One minute it looks good, the next, it's lost the look. Well, I'll keep trying.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a73/Ba ... 290193.jpg
ichnob
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ichnob »

Don't be afraid to pinch the center dent on your crown either.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I'm thinking Butter and Chocolate Fudge from looking at it, actually...
Mitch
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

You guys are killing me..and looking great RobocopIndy. I'm new to bashing too so I hope I can do what you have done!

Man I hope I'm in the first set sent out!!!
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

Here's another try...

Last edited by RobocopIndy on Tue Sep 30, 2008 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

Did you try any steam on the hat? Maybe the stiffener has to be re-activated.

Regards,
Brian
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

squidkidd wrote:Did you try any steam on the hat? Maybe the stiffener has to be re-activated.

Regards,
Brian
I haven't tried any steam yet... it's so soft that I wonder if it has any at all...? I have no clue since this is my 1st ever Fedora.
squidkidd
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by squidkidd »

The stiffener they use in felt hats is very often steam activated, so it's quite possible that there is stiffener in the felt but that it was never activated.

Hopefully I'll have a chance to test it out myself tomorrow if my Henry arrives... [-o<

Regards,
Brian
Captain Micahtoons
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Captain Micahtoons »

RobocopIndy, first: congrats. Second: the last bash looks pretty nice! Third: I recall Marc saying that steam shouldn't be necessary. Keep that hat in working order. It'll start to fit you and becoming YOUR hat after a while.

Man that is nice.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Wow! That felt looks amazing. Congradulations. I hope Marc can get these in a different color. They look fantastic.

Dave
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Here's mine, arrived 10 minutes ago...

Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

It's from Spain not Portugal. And made of butter... :)
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Guys, that are some nice lids you've got there... tasty, but dare you to eat them! :twisted:
Can't wait to order one in the future.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

:shock: What a terrific bow!!! I seriously couldn't have done it any better myself and I'm SO happy that I kept bugging the excrementum out of them to get is right :)

The hats are manufactured in Spain from a traditional manufacturer that has been in busines for over 100 years! The felt is custom made in Portugal :) Ribbon: The real stuff of course :)

Oh man, I'm so happy to see how they turned out!!!

Thanks for all your patience guys.

Regards,

Marc
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

P.S.: The sizes 57 and 59 are on their way, the rest will follow soon.

Regards,

Marc
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

Looking great guys....SOOOO JEALOUS!!

I ordered asize 58...so looks like I'm going to have to wait a bit longer. :(
Prof.
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Prof. »

My goodness Marc! The HENRY is one WONDERFUL looking hat :P !

I've been wearing my Federation now for 10 Years(!?!!)sporting pretty much the Raiders look. Now though I'm gradually feeling I need a little change...perhaps because like Indy I'm getting a little older...

We are to-be-sure pretty much spoilt for choice for our choice of hats nowadays and it's getting REEEAAAALLY hard to make a decision.

I'm wanting a hat that I can wear for & with everything,thats good quality & will pretty much "last forever".

Originally I didn't like the LC look but the more I saw it the more I grew to appreciate it & like everybody else I was really looking forward to what Indy would be sporting in the KOTCS- I wasn't disappointed :) !!!

I think this is the direction I will be going and I'm REEEAAALLY close(especially after seeing the pics) for going for the Henry !!

Take Care &
Best Regards!

Prof.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Marc wrote:P.S.: The sizes 57 and 59 are on their way, the rest will follow soon.

Arrrgh!

I'M a 59!!!

If ONLY I'd ORDERED one of these handsome devils there'd be one on it's way to me NEXT!

Marc, PLEASE promise me you'll always stay "ON" these guys to keep up THIS level of excellence! (That way, I'll know that in a year or so when I order MINE, they'll still be looking THAT good!

(Also: SUCH a beautiful bow... looks like YOU just finished with it yourself, Marc!)

Mitch
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Mine is a 57. :)
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Is it the photo, or does that felt look darker than the usual ABs?(looks like my old standard fed colour) :?
Last edited by mark seven on Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
hankey01
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hankey01 »

The bashing tutorial is for a Raiders style. Are there other ones for KOTCS, TOD and LC?? How are people doing these ones?

I guess the concept remains, just not sure I could pull it off. I'll probbaly want the Raiders look anyways.
IndyBrit
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyBrit »

Marc wrote:P.S.: The sizes 57 and 59 are on their way, the rest will follow soon.

Regards,

Marc
Hey Marc, Looks good :notworthy: Always knew it would be good

Mine's a 58. How soon is soon? :-k
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

My hat is a 59. :)
Cole
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cole »

Oh, how lucky I am to have ordered a size 58. :roll: Typical.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

In THAT case RobocopIndy, can you lend me that gorgeous hat of yours for just a minute?

Thanks...

:)
Ahhhhhhh...

(How's it look? ... AWESOME, right?)

Thanks Robo... here's you're hat back... (Hmmm... that's HARD to do... hand it BACK, I mean...)
Mitch
Last edited by Mitch LaRue on Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Regards,

Marc

I'm a 62 (61,5 actualy) so I'll have to wait just a little longer :(

Guess that means I can untie my parents ;-) ........ for now :twisted:

Regards, Geert
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

Man, this hat is absolutely splendid. Since I first put it on, I haven't wanted to take it off. And that was yesterday. The felt is gorgeously soft and buttery, and just the right amount of floppy. The ribbon is Perfect. The yummy soft sweatband ensures this is the most comfortable factory hat you've ever worn. YUM!

Hooray!
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Marc can you please post some comparison pics of the Henry and an ABDeluxe side by side? Just curious to see the difference, if any. :)
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

mufflowne wrote:Image

Man, this hat is absolutely splendid. Since I first put it on, I haven't wanted to take it off. And that was yesterday. The felt is gorgeously soft and buttery, and just the right amount of floppy. The ribbon is Perfect. The yummy soft sweatband ensures this is the most comfortable factory hat you've ever worn. YUM!

Hooray!

look real good. Can you post some more pics.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Mitch LaRue wrote:

Arrrgh!

I'M a 59!!!

If ONLY I'd ORDERED one of these handsome devils there'd be one on it's way to me NEXT!

Marc, PLEASE promise me you'll always stay "ON" these guys to keep up THIS level of excellence! (That way, I'll know that in a year or so when I order MINE, they'll still be looking THAT good!

(Also: SUCH a beautiful bow... looks like YOU just finished with it yourself, Marc!)

Mitch

You won't need to worry about that the day marc isn't the nit pick SOG that he is about quality is the day he's dead. It's just not in him to let anything slip. Thats one of the reasons i look up to him as a hatter.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

:shock: It's a beautiful hat and I'd love to order one for myself someday soon.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else who has received their hats is experiencing the same problem RobocopIndy is having with his when it comes to not wanting to hold the bash? :-k
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

BendingOak wrote:look real good. Can you post some more pics.

I'm yet to see a hat that actually accepts the top pinch somewhat solid. On The Henry as with every other hat, the pinch keeps popping out. I wonder what kind of a weird block it'd have to be to just take that pinch.

The block of The Henry is a little more tapered in the front. This definitely gives off the Raiders vibe. Actually, this hat has me fooled for an authentic Raiders hat - maybe it actually is just that. Can't wait to see how it'll age. I'm also hoping for a good lack of taper in the longrun, but until a COW member comes up with a source for nutria hat bodies, I think that's not an option.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

who bashed it?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

mufflowne wrote: I'm yet to see a hat that actually accepts the top pinch somewhat solid. On The Henry as with every other hat, the pinch keeps popping out. I wonder what kind of a weird block it'd have to be to just take that pinch.
Unless the hat was blocked on a pre-shaped block (meaning the block itself is shaped like the bash) you'll always have issued with a sharp pinch in a hat until you train it that way. If a hat body naturally wants to revert to it's conical shape, it will fight taper until the felt is dead. Likewise, the hat body doesn't naturally respond well to a sharp crease until you work at it a while. Think of it like RubberMaid, it wants to pops back out. ;-)

The amount of stiffener also will affect how well a hat holds its shape. Do you think Ford's hat looked CiaroCool™ right off the bat? Heck no! They had to beat that hat into submission before getting that razor sharp crease and all those bumps and bruises out of it. If you want the same look, you have to put any hat through its paces first.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

until a COW member comes up with a source for nutria hat bodies, I think that's not an option
Nope, nutria is not NEARLY as good a beaver. In fact, it's not even as good as wild hare or rabbit. It's a cheap substitute and I've spoken at length with my felter about it, seen microscopic pictures of it, read documents on how it felts ect. etc. etc.. Yes, the animal lives a live that reminds of how the beaver lives theirs, but the fur is nothing alike.

Regards,

Marc
mufflowne
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mufflowne »

BendingOak wrote:who bashed it?
I did. Is it that bad? :oops:

bink, i was just being funny (sorry, I do that a lot) thinking that theoretically, it is possible to have the hat accept the bash straightup if there was a very specific block made, but the block would look deformed because where the front pinch should be, there would be extra part/room of the block that would allow you to pinch it there. I think the pinch never stays because there is never enough body to work with. The sidebashes always stay because there's exactly enough body to work with.

But I know that the original raiders hat wasn't blocked into a "Cairo block".:lol: Though I think I'll take it easy on the Henry and allow it to distress itself naturally. I've ruined way too many hats in my time (though it did teach me a thing or two...)

Marc, thanks for clearing that up. I thought I read somewhere on this site that nutria hats were the most taper-proof or something. One of these days I gotta get me an AB Deluxe.
RobocopIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by RobocopIndy »

Pitfall Harry wrote::shock: It's a beautiful hat and I'd love to order one for myself someday soon.

I'm just curious to know if anyone else who has received their hats is experiencing the same problem RobocopIndy is having with his when it comes to not wanting to hold the bash? :-k
Hey Pitfall Harry, please excuse me as part of my problem the first few hours having the hat was that I am a "newbie" and this is my very first Fedora ever! If you look at my latest attempt in the pic posted above, it was starting to look "Raider-ish" and I did get the bash to hold. Although it is very soft and if you grab it the wrong way when placing on your head, you can ruin it. It's just my inexperience... so please forgive me.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

mufflowne wrote:bink, i was just being funny (sorry, I do that a lot) thinking that theoretically, it is possible to have the hat accept the bash straightup if there was a very specific block made, but the block would look deformed because where the front pinch should be, there would be extra part/room of the block that would allow you to pinch it there. I think the pinch never stays because there is never enough body to work with. The sidebashes always stay because there's exactly enough body to work with.
Oh. Ha. haha... ha. :[ :lol: Sorry about that. ;-)

Yes, they DO make preformed blocks, as shown here:
There would be a top piece which would fit on top of the block to put and keep the bash in place, as shown here:
hp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hp »

mufflowne wrote: I'm yet to see a hat that actually accepts the top pinch somewhat solid. On The Henry as with every other hat, the pinch keeps popping out. I wonder what kind of a weird block it'd have to be to just take that pinch.
I had the same "trouble" with my Magnoli HJ because of the softness of the felt.
I used a little bit of cold water - no steam! - held it for a while in position with my fingers and now it keeps the pinch.

Cheers
HP
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

RobocopIndy wrote:
Pitfall Harry wrote::shock: It's a beautiful hat and I'd love to order one for myself someday soon.

Hey Pitfall Harry, please excuse me as part of my problem the first few hours having the hat was that I am a "newbie" and this is my very first Fedora ever! If you look at my latest attempt in the pic posted above, it was starting to look "Raider-ish" and I did get the bash to hold. Although it is very soft and if you grab it the wrong way when placing on your head, you can ruin it. It's just my inexperience... so please forgive me.

Well, I was just wondering IF maybe your hat didn't get enough stiffner put into it before it left the factory. I was wondering how much stiffner was actually being used and if all the hats were like this? :-k

You shouldn't have to worry about the bash just poping out everytime you pick it up. :shock:
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

man those lids are sweet :shock:
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

There is the same amount of stiffner as on the AB-Dlx. in both brim and crown ;-)

Regards,

Marc
Kaplan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kaplan »

I got my 2 "Henrys" today. They are the best factory hats I have ever handled. Definitely a step above my Akubras and my Camptown I used to own.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Is it just me or does the ribbon not look like this on your guy's henrys?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/ ... CN0774.jpg

Guys could you show me if it maintains the reverse taper?

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e132/ ... CN0777.jpg

Best,

Matt
SankaraRaider
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by SankaraRaider »

Wauw! Great looking hats guys :) Congrats!
I'm a 56, so I guess I'll have to wait a while as well.. :[
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Is it just me or does the ribbon not look like this on your guy's henrys?
Correct Matt. The pictures shown from me was a prototype and I wasn't happy with the flying V. NOW I am :)

The block shape is the same.

Regards,

Marc
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Timing?

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Hi Marc: Like Sankara..some of us cross the line downward to less than
57 cm's. Is there a chance that eventually there could be a 56 cm offering?

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Timing?

Post by gwyddion »

Kilgour Trout wrote:Hi Marc: Like Sankara..some of us cross the line downward to less than
57 cm's. Is there a chance that eventually there could be a 56 cm offering?

Warm Regards
Kilgour Trout
I believe there allready is. If I'm not mistaken, SankaraRaider allready ordered his, and is waiting for it to be made and sent to him.

I'm in the same boat as he is, but at the other end: 62 cm.

The waiting gets harder every day, but it'll be worth it.

Regards, Geert
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Kilgour, just do this a while ](*,) until your head swells to the desired hat size. :lol: