Brand New Todd's Shirt vs. AB with photos

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Brand New Todd's Shirt vs. AB with photos

Post by TheMechanic »

Here's my Todd's size Large shirt which I just got yesterday next to my AdventureBilt size Large.
As you can see the new Todd's is more in the pinkish/khaki hue compared to the AB which is more in the stone/grey range.
Both shirts are exquisitely made and both seemingly use the same fabric. The Todd's is shorter than the AB in length but I would not say that it's too short as the AB is really long. However the shirt will come untucked if you raise your arms or do any bending.
I must say I like the Todd's epaulets better. They are the correct Raiders length and sit up on the shoulder as opposed to the AB which has short 'Last Crusade' style epaulets that sit on the front of the shoulder.
All in all it's a great shirt and the price simply cannot be beat. I will be back for another in the future.
Todd's on the left, AB on the right-

In direct sunlight-
Last edited by TheMechanic on Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Todd's looks less yellow than mine... :-k
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Can you provide a size comparison?
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Here's the comprehensive list of measurements. All taken while the shirts were laying flat.

TODDS SIZE LARGE
AB SIZE LARGE

Chest, armpit seam to armpit seam-
TODDS- 23"
AB- 22 3/8"

Across stomach, seam to seam-
TODDS- 20 1/2"
AB- 21"

Shoulder width, seam to seam-
TODDS- 19 1/2"
AB- 18 1/2"

Yoke width, seam to seam-
TODDS- 19"
AB- 18 1/8"

Half shoulder-
TODDS- 7 1/8"
AB- 6"

Sleeve length, shoulder seam to end of cuff-
TODDS- 24 3/4"
AB- 27 3/8

Back length, bottom of collar to bottom of shirt-
TODDS- 30 3/4"
AB- 33"

Epaulet length-
TODDS- 6 1/8"
AB- 5"

Chest pockets-
TODDS- 5 1/2" wide, 6" tall
AB- 5" wide, 5 1/2" tall

Hope this can be of help.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana Strones wrote:Todd's looks less yellow than mine... :-k
i agree with you strones.....but i'd replace 'yellow' with 'greenish'.......
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Wow, the original Todds shirt was way darker then the AB but now there about the same in color. I recieved a couple mediums I exchanged yesterday and I thought I noticed some differences.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

The new Todd's shirt has a very 'rosy' color in person. Looks to me like the same shade as the old MBA shirts.
I like it.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

This change in colour is very annoying: I bought two months ago a shirt in a wrong colour (too yellowish), and now... a new more accured colour! Very annoying. :evil:
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Hey Strones

I am in the same situation, and my solution was to buy another Todd's and use the first as a beater Boy can it take the abuse, e.g., yard & house work and I where it as play shirt with my 3 year old. Those of you with kids know that can mean anything from food to mud to finger paint.

Back on topic....I agree the 1st batch were too yellow and the pen pocket wasn't present. That was manufacturer oversight, and definitely NOT Todd's lack attention to detail. I know he found another manufacturer to deal with as the first was giving him the run around and he had to find a new fabric, which is what we are seeing in TheMechanic's photos.

I have owned a Wested, NH and still have a Magnoli, but Todd's is by far my favorite. I plan to order at least one more, for $50 you can't go wrong.
Cheers!!
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Of my Wested, Todd's and AB shirts I think the Todd's is my favorite overall.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

TheMechanic wrote:Of my Wested, Todd's and AB shirts I think the Todd's is my favorite overall.
That's quite a statement. Not in the sense of I don't believe you, just find it interesting.

Randy
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Don't get me wrong, I love my AB, but the epaulets are too short and they sit on your collar bones instead of the shoulders. The sleeves are also more than 2" too long. The color of the AB, I think is dead on.

The Wested barely qualifies as a 'close enough' shirt. Wrong fabric, humongous epaulets, wrong buttons and button spacing, wrong cuffs, wrong stitching.

The Todd's shirt has the best epaulets out of the group, really nice fabric, great craftsmanship (on par with AB) great quality and a great value. You can get 2 for the price of an AB.
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Bowie wrote:Hey Strones

I am in the same situation, and my solution was to buy another Todd's and use the first as a beater Boy can it take the abuse, e.g., yard & house work and I where it as play shirt with my 3 year old. Those of you with kids know that can mean anything from food to mud to finger paint.

Cheers!!
Bowie, can you please post a comparison pic of the two Todds? So I can understand what's the difference in colour. Thanks! Anyway my yellowish shirt HAS the pen pocket... :-k
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Here's another shot of the new Todd's and the AB.

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I personally like the look of the Todd's, and not just because I own one. I just like it better.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I recieved my Todd's large shirt today and I am extremely pleased. For starters it fits so much better than my medium and secondly, I know Todd has said in the past that the color has remained the same, the Large shirt that arrived today is much lighter in color than the Med. I recieved several months ago and I love the color on my new shirt.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I think Todd said the entire first run was all the same color regardless of what people were saying.
This new run is apparently a new color and I think a whole new manufacturer.
I love the shirt. I wish it was 2" longer but it is a great shirt.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

TheMechanic wrote:I think Todd said the entire first run was all the same color regardless of what people were saying.
This new run is apparently a new color and I think a whole new manufacturer.
I love the shirt. I wish it was 2" longer but it is a great shirt.
The more I think about it you are right Mechanic, and this run is a vast improvement regarding the color.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

TheMechanic wrote:I love the shirt. I wish it was 2" longer but it is a great shirt.
And that is sadly why I do not wear mine. The constant un-tucking is driving me crazy. I am willing to sell my XXL for $25 plus shipping. :(
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Todd said the size Large (which I have) was the same size Harrison wore and that the original shirt he copied was just as short. However when Indy is running around the streets of Cairo with his shirt untucked, the front looks much longer than mine.
His might have been short but I think we all could be better off having a shirt that's slightly longer and stays tucked in. Especially for the tall guys out there.
Just an idea.
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

TheMechanic wrote:Todd said the size Large (which I have) was the same size Harrison wore and that the original shirt he copied was just as short. However when Indy is running around the streets of Cairo with his shirt untucked, the front looks much longer than mine.
His might have been short but I think we all could be better off having a shirt that's slightly longer and stays tucked in. Especially for the tall guys out there.
Just an idea.
Well I know that around here the SA crowd screams bloody murder if it aint so. Fo me, I want most of the important SA but modified to fit on my body. I have a size 44 chest and I am 6'-3"......I wore mine to work last Monday, but had to come home and change it after a few hours because the constant untucking drove me BONKERS. I would purchase another Tods if they did come in tall. It really is a great shirt.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

You should look at the Adventurebilt shirt. I got a size large and it's very slim in the shoulders but it has really long sleeves, almost 3" longer than the Todd's and the body is almost 3" longer as well.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Mechanic,

I suppose if the epaulettes on the AB really bother you, you could have them altered to the top. All it take is some unstitching from the sleeve seam and moving them up?, or am I wrong and it's intensely more complex?

Best,

Matt
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Oh I could do it myself, I'm very good at tailoring. Also, the shoulder seam would show if I moved the epaulets back which is no good.
Also I'd rather not have to hack up a $106.00 shirt!
It's a great shirt though and looks terrific. When you have the jacket on you can't see the epaulets anyway.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I've read other posts in the past where people have mentioned Todd's shirts shrinking after washing them. Have you run into anything like this with yours?

I wear a Large and I love the way my AB shirt fits me. I've washed it serveral times and let it line dry. I haven't experienced any sort of shrinkage with that shirt.

I want to have a second Indy shirt but I don't want to spend another $106 dollars on a shirt and I've been eyeing Todd's shirts ever since he released shots of them.

I'd really like to buy one but I'm not sure IF I should order a Large or XL because I'm afraid it will shrink on me if I wash it.

I like a longer shirt that stays tucked in but that's not a major concern of mine.

I've also noticed that the AB shirt's epaulettes lay just in front of the shoulder blades and not on top of them like they should but that's about the only minor gripe I have when it comes to that shirt....
Bowie
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Bowie »

Hey Pitfall
I don't put any of my shirts (indy or otherwise) in the dryer. All are hung on a rack to dry, as I too do not like when my shirts shrink. Both of my Todd's shirts are larges and I have not yet had any problem with them shrinking.

Regards!
Bowie
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I washed and dryed my Todd's shirt and didn't notice any shrinking. Of course it takes many washings and dryings for the shirt to finish shrinking. Just in case I'll be line drying it from now on.

My only concern with the AB shirt, like Pitfall Harry is the length and placement of the epaulets. Make them longer and put them on the shoulder and you have a perfect Raiders shirt.
TruckWhatTruck
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TruckWhatTruck »

TheMechanic wrote:
The Todd's shirt has the best epaulets out of the group, really nice fabric, great craftsmanship (on par with AB) great quality and a great value. You can get 2 for the price of an AB.
i have to concur. my Todd's is quickly becoming one of my favorite shirts, period. put it this way- if i had my choice of an AB, a Wested, or a Todd's- all free of charge- i'd still go with the Todd's.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Thanks for the info guys. ;)

As soon as I get some "play money" I'm going to order one for sure. :D
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I finally ordered a Todds, mainly due to Mechanics comments and the effort he put into this thread. I just received mine, and I have to agree the shirt is fantastic. I think the color, fit, texture, at least for me, is very Raiders looking. By the way I ordered a large, I'm 5'10", 180.

Thanks for everyones input, especially The Mechanic.

Regards,

Soup
ANZAC_1915
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by ANZAC_1915 »

I just got a new Todd's shirt and it is darker and yellower than my NH (surprisingly, from some of the pics I thought it would be lighter?)

The material is more everyday wearable - the NH is silkier. The Todd's feels like real army gear, the NH like a costume or dress shirt, by comparison.

However, comparing the stitching and pattern etc., they are very very similar. The epaulettes on the Todd's are slightly wider. In fact, the ones on the NH don't look quite right now I look at them - very thin.

Todd's has the pen pocket open in the flap. My NH has a pen slot, but no hole in the flap.

The fit of the Todd's XXL feels as snug on me as the NH, although I think it has one more button which is good. I know I should post pics.

Anyway, for the price, Todd's shirt is great gear!!!!
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Glad I could help. I think they really are nice shirts.
Indiana Citroen
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Citroen »

wearing my todds today....very smooth feel....love it, and is my fave, matched with my wested pants I am a happy camper

I now have 3 ll beans, two which I bleached....giving a more orange tinge, so I am now using one as a workshirt ( I fix cars in my spare time so its getting pretty battered) one of the LL beans is the concrete colour which I also like.

My WPG shirt is also concretey colour and is a great loose fit...very CS

I agree that the todds is the shortest at the back, but as I am 6ft I always get XL, and it is the best fit all round
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

I received my Todds shirt size M the other day. I really enjoy the color and the fit and feel of the shirt. The only thing that bothers me is the sleeve length. Recommendation to anyone purchasing this shirt, be sure not to use the dryer and hang to dry! Going to place an order for a L and try my luck with that.
Henry Jones III
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Henry Jones III »

TheMechanic wrote:Don't get me wrong, I love my AB, but the epaulets are too short and they sit on your collar bones instead of the shoulders.
YES! That's exactly what I've been wanting to hear. An AB shirt is then.
whipitgood
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Los Angeles "A handsome devil in the city of angels."

Post by whipitgood »

The epaulets on the AB look really bad, but I like the color for an everyday shirt. Todd's is an awesome shirt for the price. 1-2 inches longer and it would be a really nice item. At the current length I think it's a great shirt to wear untucked.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Anybody compared a Magnoli shirt vs a Todd's?
Toldog07
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Toldog07 »

I still think the NH shirt is the most accurate, if anyone can get their hands on one of those, i suggest it. It's thin material but definetly has the most screen accurate look.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

No doubt Magnoli's shirts are nice and tailor made, however they are made of a heavier cotton twill and some features are not screen accurate. Mag's shirt has a top stitch around all the seams (like the Wested shirt) which the original did not and I don't believe it has the pen pocket either.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Actually it does.

And I would put the magnoli shirt above most of the shirts available, since its tailor-made - most shirts I've seen aren't form-fitting enough to get the look, but the Magnoli nailed it. -M
Henry Jones III
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

whipitgood wrote:The epaulets on the AB look really bad
The Todd's ones are way too long. They're halfway down your arm.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

It all depends on your shoulder width Henry. My shoulders absolutley fill out the Todds shirt and therefore the epaulets are dead on for me but someone with narrower shoulders than me would have the epaulet drooping down their arm and it would appear too long.

For me the AB epaulets are obviuosly too short, almost 1" shorter than the Todds and the Todds epaulets are perfect.
Henry Jones III
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

I'm quite broad on the shoulders, but they hang down too much for me. Mind you, it is an XL. I'd wear my large but the collar is absurd.

I've always had a preference for the LC/KOTCS sorter epaulettes
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Gotcha. It's alot easier dealing with shorter epaulets.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

If the epaulets are too far down the arms, the problem is not the length of the epaulets as all epaulets start at the arm/shoulder seam. The problem must be that the shirt is too big across the shoulders, thus placing the arm/shoulder seam too low on the arms.
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Mulceber wrote:Actually it does.

And I would put the magnoli shirt above most of the shirts available, since its tailor-made - most shirts I've seen aren't form-fitting enough to get the look, but the Magnoli nailed it. -M
It may go without saying, but I think fit is very subjective. Let's not forget that the screen-used shirts were tailor-made too - for Harrison. I doubt most of us here fit perfectly in an off-the-rack size shirt, so I'd venture to say that ANY tailor-made shirt will look much better (and more SA) than any off-the-rack shirt (in terms of fit only, not talking of color or placement of epaulets, buttons, etc.).

"Kudos" to Magnoli for being the only current vendor to offer tailor-made shirts. :)

Kind regards,
Craig
Henry Jones III
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Satipo wrote:If the epaulets are too far down the arms, the problem is not the length of the epaulets as all epaulets start at the arm/shoulder seam. The problem must be that the shirt is too big across the shoulders, thus placing the arm/shoulder seam too low on the arms.
Exceot that they finish in the right place. If they start too far down and finish in the right place, that would make them too long in my book.
jaisonline
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by jaisonline »

Isn't the AdventureBilt shirt more SA in terms of color? Maybe if I washed my Todds shirt enough, it will turn lighter in color.
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

Which one is slimmer trimmer fit?
IndianaKrueger
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaKrueger »

The AB is dead on in so many ways I can't even explain.

Totally SA in my opinion. The color- Are you kidding me? PERFECT! Even the way the pleats buckle out from the shirt.

My problem, is that the epaulets are terribly misplaced. Do you think if and when I contact them (Adventure Built) for my AB they would fix that issue for me for a retainer fee?

IK