Fedora Help, If You Don't Mind

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Fedora Help, If You Don't Mind

Post by Herr Doktor »

Ok, been researching through the Fedora section for more than a few days now, trying to get the most bang for my buck. Bearing in mind what the "best" fedoras are, I'm still at a bit of a loss to figure out which one might be best for me.

These are the criteria I am forced, and choose, to work with...

1) Limited funds. Maybe (and I mean maybe) $150 to work with at most. Puts all but the regular Fed IV and Christy's out of reach. :cry:

2) Looking for a Raiders bash similar to the Raven Bar scene. :whip:

3) Large noggin. I wear a about a 7 3/4 hat size (62 cm), and want that taller crown look so it won't look like a Yarmulke with a brim when I wear it. :[

Of the two, Fed IV regular or Christy's, which would be the recommended selection? :-k

Thanks in advance! :notworthy:

PS....I'm also going to send a PM to JJ to see if I might be able to do a pick up of a Fieldmaster to save on shipping, and if he has my size available...but I'm not including that as an option yet until I hear from him. Obviously, if he has my size and I can pick it up, I'll wrangle the extra $25 from somewhere. ;-)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I have the Fed IV Deluxe, which is just a little more than $150, including shipping. I think it is a great hat, it looks and feels great. I believe it is the perfect budget Indy hat.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

jnicktem wrote:I have the Fed IV Deluxe, which is just a little more than $150, including shipping. I think it is a great hat, it looks and feels great. I believe it is the perfect budget Indy hat.
Thanks for the suggestion. After doing the math, a Fed IV Deluxe to me would be $171 and change...close enough to a Fieldmaster that I would go with the Camptown automatically.

I guess I could always wait for dollar's strength or weakness make the decision for me. :rolling:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

If you can afford the Camptown, go for it. Otherwise, I can confidently recommend the regular Fed IV, which is less expensive than the deluxe, to fill you requirements.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

The Fed IV standard gets my vote. I was on a budget when I purchased my hat and I am glad I chose the Akubra. The recent post's I have read regarding the Christy's make me feel that I "chose wisely." ;-)
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I faced this same choice a few months back and went with the Christys. It has worked out well for me, but others have had a different experience.

The Fed lVs are better made hats, but I was not impressed by more than a few of the photos I saw. Especially if you are after the tall-crowned Raiders look.

The Christys has a perfect Indy look to my eyes, but may taper prematurely if you don't baby it. Although I have to say the one I have is holding up well. I haven't tampered with wetting it or steaming it and didn't need to, because it was very easy to shape dry. It's been out in moderate rain and still looks good as new.

Based on what I have read and seen, if a well made hat that will stand up to the elements for a good period of time before it begins to taper is your main priority, then you should get a Fed lV. If you want a hat that unmistakably says "Indy" to those who see it, and know that you will not be subjecting it to harsh weather or rough treatment, the Christys may be a good choice, although it is a newer offering and a final consensus has yet to be reached.

This one can be a difficult decision. You are doing the right thing by asking questions and doing some research before you buy your hat. ;-)

Jack
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

Ken (JJ) isn't taking new orders right now... i have no idea if he has any hats in stock that aren't all destined for people's head already. it's worth giving a shot though.
delfloria
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by delfloria »

Where does Peters Bros. fit into this equation?
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

get a standard fed IV it wont let you down :) at the end of the day you get what you pay for and im very happy i went with the standard fed for my first hat. im currently in the process of buying a christys adventurer cheaply too :).
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Trust me. Akubra Federation. ;-) -if your choice is between that and Christy.
Have you considered Keppler's? He makes a great hat from what I hear, if you're ok with a couple month's wait. If you want one now, and don't we all, go with the Fed.

Also watch the bazaar, you might get lucky.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

citRon wrote:Trust me. Akubra Federation. ;-)

Also watch the bazaar, you might get lucky.
Kinda figured that the Fed would be the predominant chapeau...just wanted to confirm it before ordering.

And...have been watching...everyone is selling normal human size stuff. :[
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

Saw that too...and looked at Weston's pics (among others). I might give him a call tomorrow and see what's what. ;-)

Only real problem is, I was hoping to have it by the 11th for our get-together at Gettysburg. :[

If nothing else, it's another freakin' wrinkle in the decision making process. ](*,)
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

I would vote for the Fed IV as well, as long as you want a ToD, LC or KTSC look. And since it´s an Akubra you wouldn´t have to worry about it so much.
I still love my Christy´s but since Citron´s pictures I´m a bit afraid to take it out when the weather isn´t so nice.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Herr Doktor wrote:
Saw that too...and looked at Weston's pics (among others). I might give him a call tomorrow and see what's what. ;-)

Only real problem is, I was hoping to have it by the 11th for our get-together at Gettysburg. :[

If nothing else, it's another freakin' wrinkle in the decision making process. ](*,)
Yep, as with all things, time is our enemy!
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

If that is your time limit, I would definitely go for a Fed. They make a lot of effort to get your hat to you in less than 2 weeks. I got mine in a week.
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

jnicktem wrote:If that is your time limit, I would definitely go for a Fed. They make a lot of effort to get your hat to you in less than 2 weeks. I got mine in a week.
Well, it's my preferred time frame...but not a requirement.

As I said, I'll probably give JPD a call tomorrow and see what he says. Another day won't be a killer at this point.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

What about a JPD hat? He offers a $125 hat, and apparently has a good deal on it coming up in October.

-KB :)
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Kentucky Blues wrote:What about a JPD hat? He offers a $125 hat, and apparently has a good deal on it coming up in October.

Dude- scroll up a few...beat ya' to it.
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

citRon wrote:
Kentucky Blues wrote:What about a JPD hat? He offers a $125 hat, and apparently has a good deal on it coming up in October.

Dude- scroll up a few...beat ya' to it.
Bah! I didn't click the link :lol:

-KB 8)
Jones Boy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Fedora Help, If You Don't Mind

Post by Jones Boy »

Herr Doktor wrote:Ok, been researching through the Fedora section for more than a few days now, trying to get the most bang for my buck. Bearing in mind what the "best" fedoras are, I'm still at a bit of a loss to figure out which one might be best for me.

These are the criteria I am forced, and choose, to work with...

1) Limited funds. Maybe (and I mean maybe) $150 to work with at most. Puts all but the regular Fed IV and Christy's out of reach. :cry:

2) Looking for a Raiders bash similar to the Raven Bar scene. :whip:

3) Large noggin. I wear a about a 7 3/4 hat size (62 cm), and want that taller crown look so it won't look like a Yarmulke with a brim when I wear it. :[

Of the two, Fed IV regular or Christy's, which would be the recommended selection? :-k

Thanks in advance! :notworthy:

PS....I'm also going to send a PM to JJ to see if I might be able to do a pick up of a Fieldmaster to save on shipping, and if he has my size available...but I'm not including that as an option yet until I hear from him. Obviously, if he has my size and I can pick it up, I'll wrangle the extra $25 from somewhere. ;-)
Herr Doktor, the Fed regular is a good buy (and the exchange rate is getting better all the time!). Some that I have seen in the flesh look good, some a little on the squat side. It will depend on the shape of your head and the proportions of the crown and brim. I am a 61 and my Fed Dlx was spot on for dimensions and overall height.

Cheers
Jonesy

jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Jones Boy, get looking hat! Question for you, how did you get the pinch so tight?
Jones Boy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jones Boy »

jnicktem wrote:Jones Boy, get looking hat! Question for you, how did you get the pinch so tight?
Thanks jnicktem,

A tiniest waft of steam and then a tight pinch all the way down, even into the ribbon (it will relax at the bottom somewhat). The rest of the bash just fell into place like it was made to take a SOC/Raven Bar generic type bash.

Cheers
Jonesy
Aggie
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Aggie »

Jimmy Pierce is running a special right now.