Functionality of the MXVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

cnelson6674
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Functionality of the MXVII

Post by cnelson6674 »

Hello everyone! I am realtively new to the club, but I have gotten quite a thrill out of everything I have discovered among all of these pages. You guys are all very helpfull and resourcefull. I have a question though that I couldnt find an answer to. I am interested in getting one of the MKVII bags, probably from Todd's. I am a pretty big guy (6'5'', 275) and know the bag will be kinda small on my, uhm, "modest" frame. I am interested in knowing the functionality of the bag. I am a teacher and would like to take the bag when we go on field trips. Are the bags big enough to hold, say a folder, 3 ring binder, or 8 1/2 x 11 size sheets of paper? I really appreciate the information, and thanks a ton everyone.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

There is one piece of canvas that stretches across the middle of the bag that makes it quite impractical for anything but a British gas mask. That piece of canvas, however, is easily removed. The bag measures about 10" x 10", so you could possibly fit some stuff in there. All things considered, however, this bag is not the best "briefcase".
FentonA
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by FentonA »

And just so you know, Todd's MkVII is slightly undersized. That may make a difference of what you can put in.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Taking the bag to school sometimes, it's difficult to fit a notebook into it, and papers don't go in well unless you fold them. Unless you don't mind having the flap open... I now only use it at school when all I need is a waterbottle, calculator, and pencils. Small things fit in easily. Big things, not so much.

Shane
Zach R.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Zach R. »

1017? :-k :P
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

If you want an original MKVII you might check with Kevin at Endicotts. He has original bags for good prices.
This is his email addy: kevin@endicotts.co.uk.

Though you would have to order a bag strap from another vendor.
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

At least you can put 3 Shankara stones in there :twisted:

-Alfonso :P
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

We are the same size at least in height, and I have the todds bag with the XL strap. I had a large stack of eight and a half by eleven papers in there, a thick package of carbon paper, and a grail diary. After that, seperately, I carried two novels in it. A real bag is only deeper, not bigger breadth wise. I dont think you can carry a three ring binder in there but a notebook and folders will not be an issue.
RichardSK
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by RichardSK »

A simple answer to your question is, no. The bag is too small and compartmentalized for your needs. Also, an original bag is close to seventy years old and does not hold up well to extreme use - particularly the webbing that holds the strap rings to the bag.
cnelson6674
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cnelson6674 »

Thanks a lot everyone, I appreciate the information. So the plan is to have it just to have it. Sorry about the MX, I meant MK.

Chad
Indiana Kev
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Kev »

There are several of us here on this board that put their original MKVII to good use instead of just having it for a collection piece. Depending on the condition of your bag you can treat the thing like dirt and it will take the abuse. I have three original bags and each one is in perfect condition and could take any abuse given to it. Like I said contact Kevin at Endicotts, last time i talked to him he had bags in different conditions at different prices.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

How would one do as a camera bag? I do quite a bit of walkaround photography and could use a smaller bag for my lenses and possibly a smaller framed backup camera. I typically would have the main camera in hand, and only 1-2 extra lenses in the bag. I think it could possibly work?

Randy
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

theinterchange wrote:How would one do as a camera bag? I do quite a bit of walkaround photography and could use a smaller bag for my lenses and possibly a smaller framed backup camera. I typically would have the main camera in hand, and only 1-2 extra lenses in the bag. I think it could possibly work?

Randy
They make a great camera bag. It also has a great pocket seemingly made for a cell phone, I also keep and address book, large travel wallet, flashlights, medications, and various other things in there, every day. I don't leave home without it.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Ok, I had pretty much guessed it would work, a little reassurance helped. I'm trying to figure out how to make a durable "connection" for converting a bag strap to a camera strap. Granted, I haven't thought too hard about it or would have had a solution by now. 8-[]

Randy
Indiana Joosse
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Functionality of the MXVII

Post by Indiana Joosse »

cnelson6674 wrote:I am interested in knowing the functionality of the bag. I am a teacher and would like to take the bag when we go on field trips. Are the bags big enough to hold, say a folder, 3 ring binder, or 8 1/2 x 11 size sheets of paper? I really appreciate the information, and thanks a ton everyone.
First of all, hi, I'm a teacher as well, so it's always nice to meet a colleague! :)

I have an original bag, with the canvas strap, and use it quite often. I like the fact that the partition inside makes it easy to carry pens and pencils and I usually carry a waterbottle in it as well on field trips.

It won't hold the binder, but the good thing about sheets of paper is that they can be folded so they will fit nicely into the compartments.

I have also started using small notebooks that fit inside the bag. They work just as well as the big ones, but just tend to fill up quicker. Then again, having such a great bag with an (almost) empty notebook just doesn't seem to 'work' for me either.

My students love it when I carry it around. But then again, I teach primary school... :-k