Original Mark VII vs. Todd's (too small) Repro (Photos)

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Original Mark VII vs. Todd's (too small) Repro (Photos)

Post by Bartram »

Greetings all,
My first foray into this world of gear collecting came with the purchase of one of Todd's (too small) repro Mark VII's in June. I refer to them as (too small) because, due of a manufacturing defect, his last run of bags turned out too small. I combed the boards here at COW trying to find someone that could say "exactly" how small "too small" was and what difference it actually made in bag appearance.

While I did find lots of helpful info I couldn't get a definitive answer so I decided that exact sizing wouldn't matter that much and pulled the trigger on a "too small" bag.

I was wrong.

While the bag was great, it's more square, box shape kept bugging me. What I soon discovered that things like screen acurracy kind of mattered to me, and that maybe I was more into this whole "gear thing" a little more than I thought. Hence, my membership at COW and subsequent purchase of an original MK VII from WPG. (I love it indeed.)

So, here is the post I was looking for before I made that first decision.

Todd's (Too Small) Repro Vs. An Original Mark VII

Todd's bag is equal in width and depth with the original MKVII (app. 10 inches wide, 3 inches deep). The difference is in the height. There is a disparity of app.. 1.5 inches (38.1mm) in the height of the two bags. Mine is an H. & Sons so there may be slight variations when compared to other manufacturers.

Here is the photographic record:
Front View
Flaps Open
Bottom (showing depth)
Rear
Sides
Close up of height difference (Flap Closed)
Close up of height difference (Flap Open)
My Original MKVII Bag with Strap

Let the buyer beware. Todd's bag is indeed great (really well made and great customer service) but if screen accuracy bugs you at all, go for the original or a true size repro.

Best,
Bartram
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Welcome Bartram! That is a very good and useful comparison for those wanting to buy a MKVII. Did Todd offer those at a discount?
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

What's the height of the original? :?:
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

What's the height of the original?
It's app. 11.5 inches (depending on the way the bag lays, 11 and 6/8ths). Todd's is right at 10 inches tall.

Did Todd offer those at a discount?
Yes indeed. I should have added that's what got me. The too-small bags are $19.95 USD. I gave mine to my 6 year old son and he loves it. Looks just right on him too;)

Best,
Bartram
Indiana Strones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Indiana Strones »

Thanks Bartram.
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

I have 2 original MKVII's, one is tall and rectangular like in Raiders, the other is a short square just like your Todd's bag.
The small Todd's bag is accurate to many of the war time MKVII's.
My Magnoli replica is the shorter, squarer version like your Todd's bag.
There were so many variations with those bags I think all the replicas in all the variations are correct.

Here's my 2 original bags and a highly customized Magnoli in the middle-
http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p131 ... asBag2.jpg

[MOD EDIT: Image edited into link due to size restrictions.]
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Well how do you like that!

It confirms some of the info I found that the "general" measurements of a Mark VII are 10x10x3. This is really helpful info, knowing there is ALOT of variation.

I suppose the real consideration then becomes screen accuracy and/or weather or not you want the bag to look like Indy's. If so, shoot for a more rectangular shaped bag.

You say the Magnoli is highly customized. In what way? Did you have it made to be that square, or is that how it generally comes?

I'm interested indeed.

Best,
Bartram
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

The size of the Magnoli bag is the original size. No mods were done to the size of it.
I sanded & aged all the brass hardware, I replaced the snaps with genuine U.S. made Scovill military issue snaps, I sanded down the rings to bare silver metal, I took the metal disc off the side, sanded it, and refinished it , painted it and aged it to look exactly like an original then put it back on with a hand hammered solid copper rivet and backed with a large fender washer just like the originals had.
After all that I re-dyed the bag to be a more correct shade of olive (correct to my eyes and my original bags).
That Magnoli bag you see above was one I fixed up for a member here.
There's a ton of man hours in that bag but you can see the difference it makes.

Edited to add:
Indy used many MKVII variants throughout the 4 films. I think the Last Crusade and Crystal Skull bags were the square variety. Maybe even the Temple bag as well.
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

To say it "looks great" is an understatement given the work you put into it. Good show indeed! Very impressive - and it does look great.
Indy used many MKVII variants throughout the 4 films. I think the Last Crusade and Crystal Skull bags were the square variety. Maybe even the Temple bag as well.
You're right of course, and it's got me thinking...
Would there be an archetypical bag for Indy's look in each movie, just as there is with the fedora and jacket?

No question the Raiders bag is a more rectangular-shaped MKVII
ImageImage

and, I would argue, for Temple as well (save for the more squared off MKVI on the cliff with Mola).

I will also concede a more squared off bag for Crystal Skull (but it's so floppy it's hard to tell)

But Crusade is truly an enigma. I went through some screen caps and a portion of my DVD and it's hard to say.
Thoughts or opinions from anyone? Perhaps there's already a thread that covers this.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

I read somewhere in another thread that the CS bag is actually an old LC bag, they took out of storage.

Richard
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Indeed.
Can anyone verify that?
Indiana Tim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Tim »

I actually kind of like the smaller, squared off 'satchel' reproduction from Todd over the larger, more screen accurate 'bag'. I'm looking for a satchel that looks close enough to the one in the video game Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb, seen here:

http://www.gamechronicles.com/guides/em ... dypose.gif

The colour seems to be pretty close, based on these pictures. This would be my firt satchel. Is Todd still making this shorter, squarer model?
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Yes indeed.
And they're cheap. Link over to http://www.toddscostumes.com/indy/indiana_jones_bag.htm and you can pick one up.

B
Indiana Tim
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Tim »

By the way, is there a consensus on which strap is the best TOD strap on offer? I was thinking about getting a Magnoli and fitting it to Todd's satchel. Is this doable? Are there any alternatives?
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Lee Keppler makes a dedicated TOD strap. His phone number is-

1-619-647-6744
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

You can pretty much add any bag strap to any bag. The Chicago screw technology makes it pretty easy.

Being a ROTLA strap man myself, I can't comment on the specifics of the TOD straps, but my Magnoli Raiders strap is the best I've found. High quality, great look. Definitely my favorite. You won't go wrong with him in my experience.

Looks like your on your way.