Date You Ordered Your AB

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

unerhij:
You're very kind and thanks!
I (GREATLY) look forward to seeing them!

Mola Ram:
You make a good point (albeit, dressed up in a strange reference :) )... but, maybe it IS part of the hat making process...
It's just that for two people to make the SAME reference to a cigarette smoke smell... well... that was why I was asking.
But I dunno if that kind of smell would be common or not... and I guess that's my point and THAT'S why I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.

I don't want to be misunderstood, though...
I hope no one here takes me asking about this issue as any form of disrespect aimed at Steve. I am a HUGE fan of the guy and all that he's done and continues to do on a daily basis.
I'm just surprised by the idea of opening a box from The Adventurebilt Hat Company and smelling cigarette smoke.

Having said that, if someone here with more knowledge on the subject tells me that this is commonplace and a proud tradition - that each of us who orders an AB gets a hat with a bit of a fragrance of the cigarettes smoked by the man who worked so hard on each of our hats (kind of a "blood, sweat & tears" kinda deal)... I will happily shut up...
Which, really...
is what I'm gonna do on this subject now, regardless...
('Cause I'm reading what I'm writing and it "sounds" way more sarcastic and upset than I'm actually feeling...)

It's just that I'd just never heard anything like that said before...

:?

And it's been a quiet day.

. . . . .

And I'm home sick from work.

. . . . .

And would be bored to death if I didn't have this much-valued forum in which to ramble...

. . . . .

Say "Good night" Gracie...
Iron Chef
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Iron Chef »

My hat did smell a bit like cigarette but some febreeze took care of that. Kind of funny you mentioned it. I am currently wearing said hat and love it. I wish I could wear it to bed. I did mention it to Steve in my email to him after I received it thanking him and telling him it was a very sweet fedora. The only one I will ever need or want.
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

Mitch LaRue wrote: Mola Ram:
You make a good point (albeit, dressed up in a strange reference :) )... but, maybe it IS part of the hat making process...
It's just that for two people to make the SAME reference to a cigarette smoke smell... well... that was why I was asking.
But I dunno if that kind of smell would be common or not... and I guess that's my point and THAT'S why I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this.
I was being completely serious.
That IS the final process. You spray the hat with rubbing alcohol, then light it on fire. It ignites for a few seconds, and that burns all of the remaining hairs off the hat. It makes it smell funny just like my hat did when I received it. It has a much diffrent smell than cigarette smoke. I've received hats from shops where the owner smoked, and they smell much worse.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Wow!
I DID NOT know that!
Thank you for clarifying, Mola Ram... I thought you were making reference to the kinda' craziness you get into while WEARING your hat!
Mitch
Louisiana Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Louisiana Jones »

Quick question for those of you who have gotten your hats already.... Does Steve contact you prior to shipping letting you know the hat is on it's way, or does the white box simply just show up at your door one day? I'd prefer the latter of the two. Just curious...

LJ
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Mola Ram wrote:I was being completely serious.
That IS the final process. You spray the hat with rubbing alcohol, then light it on fire. It ignites for a few seconds, and that burns all of the remaining hairs off the hat. It makes it smell funny just like my hat did when I received it. It has a much diffrent smell than cigarette smoke. I've received hats from shops where the owner smoked, and they smell much worse.
Just to clarify, it's DILUTED alcohol, NOT 100%. Some hatters will mix water and alcohol in a spray bottle and mist the hat body after pouncing the hat. (I'd bet you find this among custom hatters as opposed to the typical factory hat.) The quick "torching" process does as described, by burning off the excess fur that might be sticking up from the hat. You get a finer and smoother finish this way. After this process, then they attach all the trimmings to the hat, like the sweat and ribbon.

LJ, as for receiving contact when my hat's done, I've always gotten a brief e-mail saying it's on its way.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

All of my AB's and a couple of my Akubas had "the smell". I lived with smokers most of my life, and the smell is different. It might remind non-smokers of a cigarette-like odor, though. And it goes away very quickly. If you have a secure place to do it, air it out outdoors for a little while, or near a window. Failing that, just leave it out of the box for a week or so. It helps. The odor won't cling to the wearer, and will fade over time.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Thank you both, gentlemen.
:)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

Heres an update for you guys, I got an email from Steve and he said in a couple weeks he should be working on the Sept 07' orders.
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Indiana Williams wrote:Heres an update for you guys, I got an email from Steve and he said in a couple weeks he should be working on the Sept 07' orders.
hey, that sounds great, thanks for the info! :)
That means I might receive my AB before christmas after all.

best regards,
Lukas
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey! I may have mine by Halloween!
unerhij
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by unerhij »

Here is the pic of the AB for you Mitch. The penman is in the penman thread. Enjoy.. :)

Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Dr._J wrote:Hey! I may have mine by Halloween!
I wont have my new AB but I will have my reblocked AB by halloween.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

unerhij wrote:Here is the pic of the AB for you Mitch. The penman is in the penman thread. Enjoy.. :)

Hey, is that the first picture of the actual new liner in a customer's lid? Looks nice.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

I think it IS, chewie! (A little honor for YOU, unerhij!)

I've been an absolute HOUND lately for photos, so I can say with certainty that it's the first photo with the new logo that I've seen actually POSTED! (Dang NICE LOOKIN', too!)

On to the photo:
unerhij, THANK YOU for this! You're not just a lucky hat owner... you're good to your word, I'll give you that...

Lastly, the hat itself:
YeGODS! That is one HANDSOME LID!
Sooo smooth looking, too... And Rich and... I dunno... Chocolatey Looking!
It's almost like Steve & Marc have a secret recipe for the World's Most Delicious Fudge Brownies (except in HAT Form)...isn't it?

Seriously hungry for hats now,
Mitch
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Sweet lid.I like his new liner, I hope he puts one in my reblocked rabbit AB.
Indiana Snipes
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Snipes »

Out of total surprise I received my hat Monday, never got an email so I wasn't expecting it. Negatives: My name wasn't on the band as I had requested and the bash was completely lop sided (so now I have to attempt to redo it), but overall the hat definitely has a higher quality to it than the Federation (which I would expect for the price) but I can't say I'd purchase another one, since I'm not too completely overwhelmed by it as I thought I would be, plus I could never justify the new price of $400! :shock: I think a Fed Deluxe or Herbert Johnson will be my next hat.

I ordered mine July 4th 2007.
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I could never justify the new price of $400!
If you ordered when the price was $225, then I'm pretty sure that the price for all future hats will be $250. That's what Steve told me, anyway. Make your decision however you want, but the statistic about $400 is inaccurate.

Also, when I first received my KCS AB a few months ago, I was a bit disconcerted as well, as it looked a bit weird. A little bit of wear and it settled in quite nicely and I love it now. I wouldn't judge it too much by first impressions. -M
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

[quote="Mulceber] If you ordered when the price was $225, then I'm pretty sure that the price for all future hats will be $250. That's what Steve told me, anyway. Make your decision however you want, but the statistic about $400 is inaccurate.
[/quote]

Is the price expected to go down?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

No, it's just that, iirc, the $400 price is for those who've never ordered before...I may be wrong, so you should probably ask Steve, but I think that's the way it works. -M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

unerhij wrote:Here is the pic of the AB for you Mitch. The penman is in the penman thread. Enjoy.. :)

That is a beauty. What am I saying. All his hats are beautiful. It's just every time I see Steve's hats it;s like seeing them for the first time. Just beautiful. Great job as always Steve and congrats unerij
morethanatimelord
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by morethanatimelord »

thats a beauty!!! :)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It is a beautiful hat and I love the new liner. I really cannot wait to recieve my hat, which looks like it will be another seven months or so. these photos make me love waiting for my AB!

Dave
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I got an email from Steve and he said in a couple weeks he should be working on the Sept 07' orders
Arghh... the TORTURE!!! I am a December 07' order, but I know that it will be sooo worth the wait. :)
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

Me too, whipwarrior. I wonder if we will get them before Christmas?
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I got an email from Steve and he said in a couple weeks he should be working on the Sept 07' orders

Ooo oooo....I'm August...so maybe before Halloween! Everyone in my office is asking me what I'm going to wear for Halloween...I wore Indy last year and was going to go with Obi Wan this year, but if the AB comes, I might be swayed... :mrgreen:
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

MustangLoverMex - CS bash - 59cm - 09/04/08

The waiting begins... :lol:

-Alfonso :)
Mar
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

AB ordered 12/07

Post by Mar »

Hello,
I don't post here often but I thought I would add my AB to the list. I ordered an Idol Grab bash in December of 2007. Does anyone know the best way to contact Steve? I recently moved and I want to make sure he has the new address. I tried email and a PM from this site but have heard nothing.

Thanks.
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Send him an e-mail: sdelk@cableone.net ;-)

-Alfonso
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

I got the "Staff of Ra" liner in mine (received in Sept.). Did everyone else get the Pyramid or am I special?
Odo
Vendor

Post by Odo »

Last night was my Order's 1st (and hope last) anniversary...I hope to see it before christmas...

When I ordered, I didn't how to kill time without thinking about this hat (cause I had recently recived my Wested, after being suffering the waiting-30 days).
And someone here tole me to "pay and forget", as this hat never existed, and someday I would have that box coming at home...
That was when waiting time was 6-8 months, but I've never cared about the delay...
So I've really forgot about it, and though I've sent emails to Steve a couple of times, I've never asked about my order, as it didn't exist, and not to bother him, also, as he mustbe tired of people asking th same.

I think now's time to start making some place for it in the shelves...and pretend waiting time was only a couple of months...
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

That would be nice, but don't hold your breath. Quality work takes time, and Steve has a LOT of quality work ahead of him! ;-)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Any new ABs in?

Dave
JeffB
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by JeffB »

whipwarrior wrote:
That would be nice, but don't hold your breath. Quality work takes time, and Steve has a LOT of quality work ahead of him! ;-)
I know, just wishful thinking.
IndianaLV
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaLV »

Today is a special day. One year ago I ordered my AB from Steve.
Could be any week now... I just need to be patient. :notworthy:

Wah, don't listen to me! I want that lid, and I want it now!
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

*bump*

Anybody have any recent deliveries and order dates? Have we even made it through the August orders yet?

AFI
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

I'm from July and don't receive anything!

I feel that it's close, very close... :)
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Chaval85 wrote:I'm from July and don't receive anything!

Wow were still in July 2007, not to be a surprise I guess with all the hat orders and Steve is now back to just doing hats by himself. Actually you may want to give him an e-mail, cause there is a couple of posts above it says getting close to Sept 07 so you may want to try that. So have patience guys, its going to be a while. At least some of you are getting your hats soon, looks like I won't get mine till sometime next year. The wait continues for me. Hope you get your hat soon Chaval85, when you least expect it, this white box will pop at your door. ;-)

IndianaChris
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

From the looks of it, I'm looking at April of next year. I don't mind the wait. I'm just glad to have ordered before the film came out. I'm sure a bunch of orders came in after that.

Dave
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

IndianaChris711 wrote:
Chaval85 wrote:I'm from July and don't receive anything!

Wow were still in July 2007, not to be a surprise I guess with all the hat orders and Steve is now back to just doing hats by himself. Actually you may want to give him an e-mail, cause there is a couple of posts above it says getting close to Sept 07 so you may want to try that.
I emailed Steve a couple weeks ago and told me that he sees my name in the workbook every day and in fact, my order will be ready and shipped this month so yeah, it's close. :mrgreen:

He told me too that he almost has finished the August orders, so no changes since last update. ;-)

The news are that the July orders are not finished yet, so patience. :)
Shorty
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Shorty »

I'm a little confused now... So he did August before July? I ordered mine at the beginning of August 2007, and still hide nor hair. I'm getting really excited though! :shock:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

No, but Steve probably has just not finished the popular sizes for July. He moves on to the less common sizes to move things along, even if they are further down the list. It keeps the hats coming so that all blocks are being used instead of having to stop and wait.

Dave
bullit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Date Ordered

Post by bullit »

I ordered size 54cm, Crystal skull bash, date April 08.
BoilermakerJones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BoilermakerJones »

BoilermakerJones - CS Bash - 23 1/4 - 4/10/08

Matt
airforceindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by airforceindy »

AirForceIndy - CS bash, 23 1/2", 09/15/07
Duck
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Duck »

Duck- CS bash, 7 1/8, 05/20/08
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

After ordering my CS AB, I was beginning to regret it and was thinking about changing it to a Raiders hat. After watching CS over and over again now at home, I'm glad I didn't change the crease. I can't wait to get my AB. At least now I can see it anytime I want on my Television.

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

I don't think I ever posted this here, so I will do it now: CS bash, ordered June 6, 2007, received May 2, 2008.

Overall I love it, but I do have a couple of minor issues; I didn't care for the narrower brim and I also think the prevailing 5 inch deep side creases we see in the film are too extreme-- they give too much prominence to the already big, cone-shaped front pinch.

Relaxing those creases to 4 1/2 inches, which is also SA, improves the look considerably and also makes the crown appear less tapered.

The bash detailing is simply a matter of personal taste, though-- there is nothing wrong with the CS block shape. The great thing about an AB is that it is easy to shape, so you can experiment with it until you get the look you feel is right for you.

Jack
Chaval85
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Chaval85 »

Yeeeeeees, I've got it! I've finally received the holy hat! 8)

It's wonderful...

Finally I changed my order for a CS bash and I don't regret for that! Now I will post some pics in the AB pics' thread... if I find it. :-k

My hat was finished on 7th October but I don't receive it until now. Well worth the wait (VERY well). ;-)

Thank you so much, Steve! I'm proud for wear this hat. :)
bjack22
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by bjack22 »

This is my first post. I ordered my AB on July 12, 2007. It is a Raiders bash size 24. I have received no update from Steve and no response to messages since 4/21/08. Based on the fact that others have already gotten theirs before me and they ordered after me, should I be concerned? I sent Steve a request for an update today...What do you guys think should I be worried or does it seem like I am on track?