My 2nd nylon whip: a Pocket Snakewhip. FINISHED PICS 9/21

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My 2nd nylon whip: a Pocket Snakewhip. FINISHED PICS 9/21

Post by PropReplicator »

EDIT 9/21: Finished. :) It's 4'3" from the butt end of the handle to the end of the fall hitch.

EDIT 9/19: Finished the 8-plait belly and will start the overlay tonight after work.

After I finish this whip, I'd love to send it off to one of the "pros" here on the board to give me some good solid feedback on things that aren't evident in pictures: balance, weight, etc. If you are interested in doing me this favor, please contact me. I will pay for shipping both ways.

Here is a blow-by-blow pictorial of this whip being made. It isn't complete, yet, but I'll let you know when I update it with newer pics.

I was going to make it 4-feet, but it may end up longer. Depending on diameter after the belly goes on, I might do a second belly before the overlay. That would end up lengthening the whip a bit.

I think I'm going to give this one to my wife to keep wound up in her purse. :)

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp? ... _id=156317
Last edited by PropReplicator on Sun Sep 21, 2003 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

I'd love to send this off to one of the "pros" here on the board to give me some good solid feedback on things that aren't evident in pictures: balance, weight, etc. If you are interested in doing me this favor, please contact me. I will pay for shipping both ways.

If no one wants to check it out, I'm going to send this one to E-bay to see if I can fund some more nylon for the next whip. :)
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

Hey PR, come to the Whip Weekend (first weekend of October) here in the Dallas area. There will be several whipmakers there who can check it out.
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

I'll try. But you know how those plans usually work out for me.:(

Wayne
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

Great job PR!
I would love to give that a try, now that I've got some time on my hands.
What book did you wind up getting/using and any tips that might be helpful.

thanks

Dalexs
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

Dalexs,

If you want to give this a try (which I HIGHLY recommend), be sure to pick up Ron Edwards book "How to Make a Whip" and Bruce Grant's book "Encyclopedia of Rawhide and Leather Braiding". Also, David Morgan's book "Whips and Whipmaking" is pretty good, too.

We have several threads here in the BUllwhip forum, as well, that are very helpful. And I'd be more than willing to walk you through my mistakes so you won't commit the same ones. :) Just drop me a line.

Wayne
Blackthorne Rose
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Blackthorne Rose »

I am currently working on my first nylon bullwhip. How did you get the shot into the central hollowed core. I have #9 shot and it just gets bound up in the core and I can't get it down to the bottom.
Indiana Texas-girl
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Indiana Texas-girl »

PropReplicator wrote:I'll try. But you know how those plans usually work out for me.:(

Wayne
Yes, true dat! I hope you can make it.
PropReplicator
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by PropReplicator »

Blackthorne Rose wrote:I am currently working on my first nylon bullwhip. How did you get the shot into the central hollowed core. I have #9 shot and it just gets bound up in the core and I can't get it down to the bottom.
Hmmm. I use #8, which is slightly larger, and haven't really had a problem. Take it slow, dropping only a few in at a time, and "coax" them down all the way if you have to with your thumb and forefinger. But if you keep the tube open all the way down and don't accidently crimp it anywhere, they should slide right on down.